Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

thamaht posted:

disclaimer: I know nothing about linux. :(

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. A similar problem happened with Kanotix when I tried it a few months ago. The Ubuntu CD did let me get a verbose log of what was happening, and it looked like it was trying to mount the CD-Rom as hdc and failing to read it, or something. I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage. If I can find a digital camera I could take a picture of the bootscreen if needed.

Anyone have a clue what to do? With experience like this with liveCDs, it isn't making me want to install anything..

That sounds like you might be burning bad cdroms. See if you can open the files on another computer. I suppose it is possible for it to be able to access the first bit of boot information but encounter errors with stuff further on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

permanoob posted:

I've read up on it and I'm seeing that I need to install a kernel-source package. I can't find any reference to this anywhere really. Any help?

You should read this chapter in the FreeBSD handbook, on kernel configuration and compilation: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

rugbert posted:

Im pretty new to Linux but im slowly learning. Im using Fedora 6 and almost everything is going fine but I cant get access to my second harddrive with all my music on it.

I think I see it in the filesystem under media (thats what I named it) but the folder is empty and only 5.8 gigs (should be 80). Im dual booting with XP and I can access the HDD. any thoughts?
In a terminal (you may need to be root), run: mount /media (or whatever mount point it is). If this doesn't work, you need to fix your /etc/fstab. Google for fstab filesystem mount linux or something.

quote:

also - are there any good a/v codec packs available? Im thinking something like defiler, I dont care really but I cant watch half the movies I have.

Something like mplayer should play anything you can throw at it. vlc is nice too. There are a number of other media players, but I use the former.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Jorenko posted:

That's very odd, I've never seen a Linux system lacking lp before (It's the standard command-line tool for printing). In any case, from trawling packages.ubuntu.com, it appears it's included with two packages: cupsys-client and lprng. Try installing one of them.

You want cupsys-client; the other is old BSD lp, which CUPS replaces.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

dfn_doe posted:

Set a cron job at the beginning of your outage window to create a marker file in /tmp and then make your regular mrtg cron check for the presence of the file. Create another cron job which removes the marker at the end of the outage window.... voila!

code:
59 23 * * *     root    touch /tmp/nomrtg
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *    root  if [ ! -e /tmp/nomrtg ]; then <insert mrtg command here>; fi
01 01 * * *     root    rm /tmp/nomrtg
Something like that....

A better solution would probably be to put the start, backup, and stop in one script, for example (I have no idea how mrtg works, but you get the idea):

killall -STOP mrtg
backupcommand
killall -CONT mrtg

Then put that script in cron and it will run your backup as usual.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

minute posted:

Awesome, thanks.

A couple more quick questions. Right now, I have WinXP installed on partition, Xubuntu on a partition and a shared FAT32 partition. I have all my music on the FAT partition. I tried adding a symbolic link to my music folder in /var/lib/mpd/music. It seems to work, I can cd into it, etc. But when I try to run sudo mpd --create-db, it won't add anything to the database. I think it has something to do with the permissions.

Since fat32 is not a unix-y filesystem, it does not hold unix-y information. The only way to set these for such a filesystem is with mount options. Use uid/user (owner) gid/group (group) and umask (numerical permissions, but inverted) on mount to get the correct permissions on the filesystem. Maybe you could have more than one set of permissions for the files on the partition with multiple umasks, but I don't know how that would work.

This is why you are much better off using a native linux filesystem for this sort of thing. Although I would suspect there is a way you can use a read-only directory as a mpd music source and write the db metadata to another location.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

este posted:

I have a fun paritioning issue.

I have a 250GB disk that has a Windows install on it, and a new install of Ubuntu. Because of various generational artifacts from previous installs, my partition table is a little funky:

code:
/dev/sda1      extended    45GB
   /dev/sda5   NTFS        45GB
/dev/sda2      ext3        40GB
/dev/sda3      swap        2GB
unallocated     -          155GB
It's the extended partition mess that's getting me. I haven't been able to chainload into Windows from GRUB (with many options and disk(0,x) combinations tried), and while there is probably a way to fix that, it brought my attention to the partitions. Can I move the NTFS partition out of the logical partition? It'd be great if /dev/sda5 became /dev/sda1. I do realize that this might be impossible, though, so I'd also be open to cloning the partition into my free space, and then cloning back after deleting /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5. I wouldn't know what to use in linux for that task, though.

Most importantly, I'd like to be able to boot Windows again. But beyond that, can I clean this mess up a bit?

Sure, it's not too hard, although you do have to copy sda5 twice. Do not follow this blindly without verification, though :). And be sure to have backups/verify your data at each step and all that.

-Make a new partition in linux at least 45 GB.
# dd if=/dev/sda5 of=<path to free space>/windows.img
-With fdisk or similar, delete partition sda1 (this will also take out sda5, I believe), and create a new 45 GB primary partition on the free space at the beginning of the disk. This will be your new sda1.
# dd if=<path>/windows.img of=/dev/sda1

Now you can get rid of the newly created linux partition.

That is (should be) all there is to it!

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

It seems to me like some process/job is eating the whole processor while it's doing something that takes it ~12 seconds then waits for what it thinks is a minute before doing that thing again. Network IO stops, the UI freezes, any input from me gets cached somewhere and acted upon when 'the event' is over with.

Stopping Azureus and killing smbd doesn't stop the hiccups.

-snip-

code:
dtanders   915  0.1 20.5  49    02:25:16 /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0/bin/java -Xms16m -Xmx128m -cp /etc/azureus/Azureus2 

Err, maybe I'm misreading your question, but isn't this your answer right here? The azureus process is taking up most/all of your cpu time and 20% of your memory. Compare the TIME column to all the other processes. Do you have it set to start at boot/login?

You will continue to have these problems even after closing it since the software is horribly buggy and often doesn't kill the process even when the GUI is closed. See if kill -9 915 helps you. (killall -9 java would be alright except you seem to have another, unrelated java process running).

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

fletcher posted:

I followed this guide exactly, and when I try to login it says "Server refused our key". Anybody know what could be wrong? I'm running FC4.

http://www.howtoforge.com/ssh_key_based_logins_putty

I don't have much experience with those PuTTY utilities, but just a few things to make sure you have set up correctly:
-As mentioned in the comments, you should use ~/.ssh/authorized_keys . Make sure this is in the home folder of the user you are logging in as.
-Make sure the following lines are in your server's sshd_config
code:
RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PermitRootLogin yes # if you are trying to login as root, although not recommended.
-Make sure there are no extra restrictions on your authorized_keys. For example, if you prepend the key with from="[ip range]" you will only be able to login from those ips.

Besides that, all you need to do is put the public key on one line in authorized_keys and authenticate with the private key.

Also, check the output in the server's log. Probably /var/log/auth.log or /var/log/syslog

I assume you can log in with a password alright?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Yaksha posted:

I recently setup a Linux Desktop for the first time, Debian. It's fun to play with, but I don't think I'll have it replace my Windows PC.

One thing I would like to do, and I'm pretty sure I can do this, is use the box as an SSH tunnel when I'm using external wireless.

Basically, whenever I'm out of my place, at a hotel or a hot spot, I'd like to get online but make sure the information I am sending out is encrypted without relying on the router to protect me. I'm sure I've read in the past I can do this by connecting to the WLAN, then creating a tunnel between my laptop and the Linux PC at my home.

That way all traffic, whether it's HTTP, FTP, etc. will go through my Linux box at home and people won't get any useful data from sniffing.

Is this doable or is it something I dreamed up?

Well it is pretty easy, you will need an SSH server accessible remotely. This means you either need a static IP or an updating service like DynDNS. It is not quite that simple though; as you can only tunnel traffic from applications that support proxying in the first part. You basically ssh to your server to forward a particular local port, and then set the application to use localhost:port as the proxy. Google for ssh proxy.

If you want a full-fledged tunnel for all traffic, you need a VPN. With OpenVPN, this is not too hard either.

In both cases, you will need to be able to install software/change settings on the computer you're using, so you will want to have your own.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

minute posted:

I'm running utorrent through wine, and everything seems to work okay, except for some torrents where I can't connect to the tracker. How can I fix this? Or, I wouldn't mind switching over to a linux client, so is there one that's as light on resources as utorrent with all/most of the features?

It is exceptionally unlikely that this has anything to do with Linux; it is probably just an issue with that particular tracker. Can you connect to it with the same network setup+uTorrent in Windows?

I highly recommend deluge, although I have never used uTorrent. Azureus' features can be nice at times, but it has some serious issues with resource consumption and runaway java threads.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

They're in /etc/acpi.d. The ones I looked at (volume up, volume down, mute) just called FAKEKEY or something, I guess to just translate the ACPI "somebody pushed a button" event into a keyboard "somebody pushed a button" event, and then Gnome is set up to read the key codes instead of the ACPI events.

I just replaced the "FAKEKEY" calls with "alsamixer" calls directly, which meant that when I hit a button the volume would go up or down but I wouldn't get any on-screen display, but at least it worked when I wasn't running Gnome. (I'm sure there's a better way involving running a daemon to watch for those keyboard events or something, but whatever.)

You can set up acpid to execute scripts on acpi events. Run 'acpi-listen' when acpid is on and try pressing the different hardware keys (sleep, volume?, screen close, etc) to see if any of them work through acpi. You can then use their key ids to run arbitrary commands.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

fletcher posted:

Ahhh, thank you.

And drat that line is slick, I'm such a newb on linux, I'm using that from now on!

Beware that ssh has some overhead compared to other, unencrypted protocols, so if you are on your own network I would recommend something simpler. I use nc (netcat). It just opens up plain tcp connections which you can pipe arbitrary data through.

FWIW, ssh gets ~8 MBps over my 100 mbps ethernet network, and nc gets ~11.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

derdewey posted:

I don't like that answer :argh:

I am very happy with ubuntu on the terminal side of things, the scriptability, ease of use with remote servers, and default toolset are far beyond what I could imagine on windows. But still, it'd be nice to have a responsive gnome desktop.

AIGLX does make things faster (must faster, even) but I don't like the way it changes the windowing behavior. I've tried just turning off all the effects but it's still flakey (title bar acting screwey when maximized, etc).

You should first start by disabling desktop effects (does Ubuntu now use compiz/beryl by default?), although that shouldn't make too much of a difference if you're using nvidia binary drivers with hardware acceleration. You can also try a lighter desktop environment; I would recommend (and use) xfce. With that hardware, you should be able to run everything well, but gnome may just be unavoidably slow.

Kernel optimization/recompiling can affect the speed of some processes, but probably won't make any difference in this graphical stuff.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Furd_Terguson posted:

I had made a dd image of my / directory which I would like to restore. My thoughts are to boot the machine using knoppix and then type:

code:
dd if=/home/chawkins/backup.img of=/dev/hda3
(I realize this will probably change when the drives are mounted in knoppix but I want to know if the syntax is sound.)

Will this work? Is there a better way to do this? I assume I can't but is it possbile to do this operation within my Debian system? Thanks guys.

This should work, but you will have to make sure your hda3 is AT LEAST as big as the original source. If you don't have the same partition layout as before, you will also probably have to edit config files. /etc/fstab at the very least. And no, you won't be able to write to a mounted device in this manner. Perhaps it would start, but it would royally hose your system.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What's the deal with Debian? It's 3DVDs or 20CDs? That seems like a bit much.

That is to download every single package in the repository. If you have a halfway decent internet connection you can just install from CD 1 and then download new packages to install as you want them.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Scrios posted:

I didn't see it in either after a quick search.

Check the Help->About window. Near the bottom there is a list of compile-time libraries.

My Debian unstable package says:
code:
  Library Support
    Cyrus SASL: Enabled
    D-Bus: Enabled
    Evolution Addressbook: Enabled
    Gadu-Gadu library (libgadu): Enabled
    GtkSpell: Enabled
    GnuTLS: Disabled
    GStreamer: Enabled
    Mono: Disabled
    NetworkManager: Disabled
    Network Security Services (NSS): Enabled
    Perl: Enabled
    Startup Notification: Enabled
    Tcl: Enabled
    Tk: Enabled
    X Session Management: Enabled
    XScreenSaver: Enabled
    Zephyr library (libzephyr): External
    Zephyr uses Kerberos: No
and I have keyboard/mouse usage time support.

What does yours say differently?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Bonus posted:

Hey, your post is much appreciated, thanks a lot! :banjo:
I'll do this today and report back here how it went. Thanks again!

While that will likely work as a workaround, you really should post the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log (this will be the log of the current or most-recent xserver, so make sure you open the one from your failed runs with the nvidia driver) if you really want a solution to be found.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006
Now for a question of my own.
I recently came across an old symlink which I cannot seem to delete.
code:
# rm foo
rm: cannot remove `foo': Invalid argument
# stat foo
stat: cannot stat `foo': Invalid argument
# ls -l ./
?--------- ? ?  ?          ?                ? foo
-rw-r--r-- 1 ec users  10781 2007-05-06 23:50 bar
I have never seen this before, and it's causing annoying errors for rsync. Any idea how I can get rid of this stale link?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

teapot posted:

Does ls actually show question marks?

Yes, that's exactly what I get in aterm. Not a locale issue.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Sister Miyagi posted:

Well, I went through all the trouble of getting album art and tags for most of my MP3s in iTunes, and then switched to Linux (and Amarok). I thought I made iTunes save all my tags with the old "convert id3 thag" tirck, but apparently not. Is there any way to get Amarok to read my iTunes database, or do I have to do everything over again? And does Amarok actually change the tags, or just write everything to its database?

There are media players which do not read and use each individual file's ID3 tag? :psyduck: I cannot think of any conceivable reason that would be better, besides developer laziness. In any case, I installed Amarok and, (although I far prefer quodlibet), it writes all changed info to the ID3 tag, as it should.

I cannot help you with iTunes, since I have not really ever used it, but there must be a way to write everything to the file tags. I doubt Amarok can read this "iTunes database", although I could be wrong.

Album art is typically stored in a ./cover.jpg or similar file in the same directory as the files in the album. This works fine if you have your music in a sensible layout, and nearly all music players I have used pick up the file as cover art, but it does not seem to be the best solution technically.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Al Azif posted:

Is Matroska (.mkv) just a really CPU-heavy format? I can never get them to play correctly; in mplayer the audio is always out of sync and in vlc the video is unwatchably choppy.

This is on a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, which should be more than fast enough to play a video (right?).

If the mkv has high-resolution h.264 video it could conceivably take up all your CPU time.

Are you using mplayer from SVN? What type of video+audio is in this (these?) mkv file(s)?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

teapot posted:

code:
touch /forcefsck
reboot

Sorry for the delay, but that did not fix my problem. The file persists with the same issues.

I am fairly certain fsck is run; boot output shows:
code:
Will now check all file systems.
fsck 1.40-WIP (07-Apr-2007)
Checking all file systems.
Done checking file systems. 
:iiam:

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Spartan22x posted:

Okay, I'm running KDE on Debian(unstable). In Kate, every time I try to select the Encoding option under the Tools menu (or even just mouse over it), KDE dies. Not just kate, but the whole loving desktop environment freezes, and the only thing I can do is exit out into the shell (or whatever the term is) with ctrl-shift-F1. Is this a common problem/is there any way to fix it?

Also, is there a way to get working graphics drivers for Nvidia cards? The ones in the repository are broken :s

If you are using a Geforce4-era card, you can use the nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx (yes, with 'x's) packages. For even older, double legacy ones, you probably need -legacy-71xx (formerly just -legacy, but then nvidia dropped more support and the second set was added).

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

Just put "%1" in your script instead of "file.iso", and that will be replaced by the first parameter of the script. (So if your script is called "dvdrecord", use "dvdrecord somefilename.iso")

"$1" :eng101:. %s are for Windows batch script variables(?)

Also, you're better off putting that in a shell script in ~/bin or something.
code:
#!/bin/sh
target="$1"
if [ -e "$target" ]; then
  cdrecord -blah $target
else echo "Usage: script.sh <foo.iso>
fi

thenameseli fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 25, 2007

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

dfn_doe posted:

Gentoo would be my #1 for this job. I've got 9 systems at work booting gentoo from 4gb thumb drives and logging to /var mounted on NFS. works a treat and the lack of crazy dependency hell that you get from redhat/suse/debian based distros just doesn't exist when you do gentoo minimal with a few exclusionary USE flags "-X11 -docs" etc...

[quote="sund"]
I have done a linux from scratch deal on a CF card before, but it's a little tedious building each package or popping the card into a workstation to change a line in a config file.
[quote]

And please don't spread misinformation about distros. Debian certainly has nothing resembling 'dependency hell,' nor to my knowledge did it ever have a reputation for such in the past. The rpm-based distros you mention certainly had problems a few years ago, but from what I understand the situation is much improved now. I'm glad your setup works but he said he didn't want to build everything from source.

Sund: I personally would recommend Debian. It has every binary package you could need, and it is simple to do a bare-bones installation. Also, you will need at least /var to be read-write.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Leathal posted:

I have grub set to boot hd(0,1) which SHOULD be the new Ubuntu partition, but if I go to System Monitor it shows the root drive as being /dev/hdb1 which is the original Ubuntu partition. To make things even wackier, the free space shown is what it should be if it was in fact the new partition. :psyduck:

Also, only one Linux partition is being mounted, and because of the weird poo poo I mentioned (drive size vs label saying /dev/hdb2) I don't know if it's the old partition or the new one.

Halp. :(

Can you post your /etc/fstab, /boot/grub/{menu.lst,grub.conf}, and the output from
code:
fdisk -l /dev/hd[a-z]
?

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

SnatchRabbit posted:

I guess some games and emulators that won't run in Linux (NullDC is one) as well as some other video encoders and junk that I've just gotten used to in Windows. I'd just like to have both OSes at my disposal without having to reboot.

VMware doesn't support 3d acceleration in Windows, so you will not be able to play recent games. You should try Wine for this; many games work well with only a mild speed penalty. I would see how much you can get out of Wine before resorting to a full-blown VM. It is easier to integrate individual applications into your desktop with Wine.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

All the best video encoders run on Linux, provided you're not afraid of the command line.

This is not necessarily true. There is certainly no lack of video encoding tools, but almost all the fancy proprietary encoders (and some decoders) run on windows. If you are encoding to the most popular options of mpeg2, mpeg4, or h.264, afaik open source implementations, (libavcodec for the first two, x264 for the last), have performance and feature parity to the major proprietary ones. For newer and more exotic codecs however, support can be limited. There is currently no OSS encoder (any very limited decoding) of wmv9 (VC-1), for example.

In short, it takes a while for open source projects to catch up to new video codecs, especially when a lot of reverse-engineering is required. But where the software is mature, it is generally very good.

See http://mplayerhq.hu, http://ffmpeg.sf.net, http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

Toiletbrush posted:

Is it just me, or does The GIMP create an unnecessary amount of artifacting in JPEGs compared to e.g. Photoshop, when compressing to approx. the same file size?

Do you have any example images? This seems unlikely, as I would think JPEG encoding has become trivial in the 13 years it has been an ISO standard.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I just want to point out that I am an idiot.

I never realized that you can use the SATA/PATA kernel drivers instead of the old IDE drivers, you don't need both. Since I have both IDE and SATA drives in my system, I always had both in my colonel. Now I have removed all the IDE junk and my old IDE drives show up as sda, sdb etc etc.

It has resolved a lot of weird issues with my SATA dvdr drive doing stupid things and driving me mad. Who knew.

I don't think that makes you an idiot. It is quite understandable, since libata only recently started supporting PATA drives, and the current layout of the kernel config menu does not really make it clear that libata and "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" are different driver subsystems.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

io_burn posted:

Is there any way to have Linux pretend it is iTunes and share out a directory full of music to the rest of my network and trick iTunes running on other machines in to thinking it is connecting to a shared library? My music folder has a pretty standard directory structure of \Music\Artist\Album\Track Number Song Name.mp3 if that matters at all.

I'm not sure about "pretending" but there is an OSS DAAP (iTunes share protocol) server: mt-daap firefly http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/ . It has a very nice web admin interface.

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

spacepirate posted:

So I need to set environment variables in linux/solaris/hpux etc. I want to run a script to set a bunch of environment variables. Then run a series of other scripts that will read and use these variables.

When I try an sh script that looks like
#!/usr/bin/sh
VAR="Value for var"

echo $VAR comes up with nothing. Any ideas on the right way to do this?

Assuming a bourne shell, 'export' is sorta what you're looking for, but this will not work in any shell that I know of, since the script is run in a new shell and can't change the environment variables of its parent. You will have to use another approach, maybe integrating the variables into the scripts, or setting them globally in .profile et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenameseli
Sep 6, 2006

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
foo@bar$ sudo dpkg --set-selections
bacula hold
^D
foo@bar$
There might be a slightly more user-friendly way to do that, but this is what everything will eventually do in the background.

man 5 apt_preferences ,
too. I think this is a more flexible way of doing this (recommended in the Debian guide :toot: ), and I'm not sure how permanently selection settings are stored.