Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

shyguy posted:

After that it doesn't bring me back to a prompt; it just sorta hangs. I can type stuff but it does nothing. I've tried to google for answers and I've gotten by with doing that until now. i'm totally lost on what to do from here.

How long did you let it hang? The last command it ran was compiling some C++ which (depending on your system) might take a couple of minutes. It's unlikely that g++ just locked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

thamaht posted:

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. [...] I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage.

IIRC recent versions of Ubuntu have a "Check this CD for defects" option when you first boot off them - try that maybe?

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Kinch posted:

Has anyone tried Linux from Scratch or is Slackware the preferred method of getting a bit deeper into Linux? They both seem to have good books.

After I broke Mandrake for the first time I jumped to LFS. It's a great way to figure out how all the pieces fit together, and pick bash along the way.

Back then (2000ish) it was a real pain to keep things updated due to the complete lack of package management - I basically ended up completely reinstalling every time something major got upgraded. That seems to have improved though, I have a friend running through LFS right now and he says they talk about different strategies for managing package explosion.

I don't know anything about Slackware, though.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

mynie posted:

Hey if I'm using rtorrent on Ubuntu and it says the files are being saved to the default location at ./ , where the hell can I find them in the graphical browser?

They'll be in whatever directory you ran rtorrent from. (I'm guessing /home/<your-username>)

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

fletcher posted:

Ok - had to uncomment those lines in my sshd_config. The public key is in my authorized_keys file. I can login with a password, but the autologin still isn't working. I don't see a syslog or auth.log

You probably need to restart sshd after uncommenting those lines.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

hedge77 posted:

The problem is the lack of newlines, I get a bunch of run-on addresses. There are a couple that for whatever reason do have the newline already (how they got them I don't know, these are all normally generated by a cgi script and should be uniform). I've tried using echo to add newlines with -exec and with xargs but that doesn't work. Extra newlines are ok (easy to check for later), so I don't mind having extra ones here and there.

code:
for x in `find . -name ihateyou.fkr`; do cat $x >> /cygdrive/c/infidels.txt; echo >> /cygdrive/c/infidels.txt; done
Should work (as long as there are no spaces in the filenames). xargs or -exec should work too, but I've never bothered to figure them out.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006
Is Matroska (.mkv) just a really CPU-heavy format? I can never get them to play correctly; in mplayer the audio is always out of sync and in vlc the video is unwatchably choppy.

This is on a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo, which should be more than fast enough to play a video (right?).

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

thenameseli posted:

If the mkv has high-resolution h.264 video it could conceivably take up all your CPU time.

Are you using mplayer from SVN? What type of video+audio is in this (these?) mkv file(s)?

It happens with pretty much every .mkv I've run into, but looking at them they all seem to be high-res h.264 with AC3 audio. So blame it on that, I guess.

I'm using Gentoo's mplayer package, which appears to pull it from SVN.

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006
More tiling window managers: ratpoison, wmii, dwm, xmonad

I'm using wmii right now. I just wish there were better options for Web browsing mouseless (though I have yet to try vimperator or conkeror).

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006
My cron jobs haven't been running for a few days, I just looked in the logs and I'm getting "Can't find a unique temporary filename: Too many open files". I know how to increase the limit, but I don't think the system should be past it. How can I see what processes have open files?

vvv thanks, that fixed me up real quick. (it was museekd)

Al Azif fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 13, 2007

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

JoeNotCharles posted:

Too lazy to look this up right now - can I format a filesystem to NTFS with NTFS-3G, or do I need Windows for that?

There's a package called ntfsprogs that has mkfs.ntfs.

skroll posted:

I'll tell you what, after using wmii as my window manager for over a week now, I love it. Not having window borders or windows to drag around enables me to focus on content instead of aesthetics. I love it.

A window manager that actually manages windows, what a concept! I just wish ruby-wmii supported wmii-3.6.

Al Azif fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 14, 2007

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

thenameseli posted:

sund posted:

I have done a linux from scratch deal on a CF card before, but it's a little tedious building each package or popping the card into a workstation to change a line in a config file.

The tediousness of building a package in Gentoo isn't in the same class as the tediousness of building one in LFS. The only similarity is the wait.

Al Azif fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 23, 2007

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Christobevii3 posted:

What technically happens when i run wget webforum.com -r -l 50

What teapot said. More specifically, it downloads http://webforum.com/, then downloads every page/file/whatever that that links to, then downloads everything that those link to, etc. for 50 iterations of "downloads everything those link to".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Azif
Nov 1, 2006

Wallin posted:

In bash/zsh, using ctrl-r will do an emacs-like reverse search through the history. Is there any way to bring the history back to the most recent item (aside from holding the down arror key down for a minute or so)?

Page down should do it.