Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I am trying to install any flavor of Linux on our spare server, but for some reason can not get past formatting the hard drive.

It is a ~300GB SATA drive which Ubuntu, openSUSE, and gparted all label sda1 (for scsi?).

I am attempting to partition it thusly:
/dev/sda1 ext3 as / - 20GB
/dev/sda2 swap - 2GB
/dev/sda3 ext3 as /home - 257GB

For both Ubuntu and openSUSE, the installations seem to run fine until they try to format the /home partition. They get to 99% and then crash. openSUSE gives a system error code -3009 which I can't really find any information on except for this:
http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f61/system-error-code-3009-a-493458/.

I tried using gparted, and it can successfully format everything, but when I install Ubuntu on top, the /home partition is just missing, and openSUSE attempts to repartition the gparted partition and blows up.

Is it time for me to just cut my losses and throw Windows Server 2003 on it, cause I am too frigging stupid for Linux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

teapot posted:

You have a physical error somewhere. When formatting, enable checking for bad sectors or, better, get another drive.

If you managed to install Ubuntu and just didn't make the last partition, you can make and format it after the rest of the system is installed already.

Thanks - I'll try to check for errors...if I can figure it out :)