Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Hit a thing on friday night that made me so :rolleyes: at Manjaro that I decided this weekend was the time to switch distros.

Come on, you have to tell us what the thing was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

LINUX THREAD PAGE 2^10

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Only if you're using the SLAB, SLOB, or SLUB allocators.

Lemme tell you about my new super-high-performance kernel memory allocator, SLURP (for Simply Lots of Unordered Random Places).

You know how everyone has at least 32gb of memory these days, and you only use like 6 if you don't have Chrome open? SLURP takes advantage of this by avoiding all those old-fashioned blocks and stacks that slow other memory allocators down. Here's how it works:
1. a program asks to allocate memory
2. SLURP picks a random number between 0 and MAXMEM, and hands that to the program as a pointer
3. ok that's your memory, go nuts

SLURP is blazingly fast and never gets bogged down with memory fragmentation or reference counting! It cuts the allocation / deallocation overhead by 50%, using the simple trick of never deallocating anything. And best of all, it encourages small and efficient programming, for self-defense! Because if your program uses 50mb of memory, it is 50 times more likely to crash some other bloated program that uses 2.5GB, than to be crashed by it.

Just, uh, don't open Chrome.

This post is giving me traumatic memories of Desqview.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

My containers are like 16 GiB compressed

My most popular image, with 5.4k downloads, is 20 megabytes :smug:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

I saw it. I appreciate the high resolution and your inclusion of the ring 👍

LOL

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to get a crappy old computer from the thrift store and set it up with linux to be my 5 year old's babby's first computer. Mainly a learn-to-type/use a computer, a homework station, and maybe some simple games (I'm thinking maybe an NES emulator and gamepad). Probably will have internet browsing locked for the time being and slowly introduce the web as we go along.

I use Linux Mint so I was gonna do that since it's what I'm familiar with, and my general plan was to make it pretty bare bones, make her a non admin account, maybe even make it so games have no shortcuts and must be launched from terminal for bonus computer learningness?

Anyway I'm posting here wondering if anyone here has done something similar and has any advice based on their experience.

gcompris, and scummvm with freddi fish.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

install the ugliest UI themes you've ever seen.

The ability to decorate a thing precipitates the obligation to decorate a thing.

This is childhood 101.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The world needed another DSL. Glad to see this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

Nope. Wayland doesn't have a system for screensavers.

And JWZ did something so that xscreensaver won't run on xwayland at all. (Officially because it can't lock the screen and he cares about security, but really he probably did that more for spite.)

I love that his blog posts still tell us what he's listening to, like 2002 LiveJournal.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

Quadlets

Oh, rad, this will let me get rid of runit and my dozen+ permutations of a "run this container in podman" startup script.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You guys are really starting to sell me on podman over docker for my fast-approaching server build

:getin:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

The only thing I ever had to do was add ":z" at the end of bind mounts, and that took care of SELinux.

LET ME TELL YOU A STORY

So we had this 3.2PB cephfs with user home directories in it, and we were trying to spin up a sort of "Shell As A Service" that users could provision to do science or whatever they want, with their home directory mounted.

Turns out Docker, even with :z, will do a recursive directory listing to "fix" SELinux contexts (or whatever they're called) on files. There is no option to disable this behavior, it's hard-coded.

And that is why it took 16 hours to spin up a shell until we disabled SELinux.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

effika posted:

I use it to print sewing and quilting patterns, so sometimes I need to scale up. Oh, and layers, which Firefox doesn't do that I can see. I'll edit my post.

Command line is OK too since I will know what pages I want to print and what size by that point.

I'll install anything; I just don't want to install the entire Gnome desktop if I can help it.

I've done this many times using command line tools. I forget which ones. Pdfutils maybe?

If you want a GUI maybe Inkscape can do what you want? Set the page size, import your pdf, then blow it up to 400% or whatever and drag it over the page to print each section.

Honestly this might be a better answer since you're going to need some overlap to tape them together into a single pattern. Most patterns I've seen have already done this for you, but I guess not all!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

Am I dreaming that hibernate won’t be a buggy mess

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Wasn't imagemagick used for the image macro that, you know, made image macros a thing on SA, and which spread far and wide?

...huh. TIL.