Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Aware posted:

I think the main advantage of going something Ubuntu based is that there's usually fairly up to date Ubuntu guides for everything and it's just a bit easier having it as the base. I still use debian on my servers but I've not tried running a desktop with it for quite some time.

I've heard Arch also has great documentation and is probably a good 'learn linux' starting point too but I've never given it a go.

I really like Manjaro if you want to dip your toes into Arch (that's what Manjaro is based off of).

e: I see Manjaro has been discussed several times between the quoted post and my own :v:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have some private git hub repositories for my docker-compose.yaml files, along with some comments because I know I would forget why I was doing what if I didn't.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I would try to find that package on the web version of the package repository and see if it has any further descriptions, links, or other information about it.

E: it might also be worth seeing if your package manager offers a "repair" function or something similar.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. I understand that proxmox must have the driver so VM's can use the BT adapter.

Anyways, next step is docker. So maybe Debian with only standard system utilities is good enough for a docker VM os.

Alpine might be worth a shot, but it might be too minimal.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RFC2324 posted:

just as a suggestion: might be easier to figure out a docker-compose file than do everything the hard way on the cli like that. maybe its just me but the format is easier to parse

I agree, 100%.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like the majority of gui applications on Linux, the app stores are just wrappers for a CLI. You could even roll your own, if you'd like! It's part of what makes Linux such a great development environment, imo.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tesseraction posted:

Mint is good if you want a lightweight VM. Although if someone knows something lighter then pray tell.

I know Alpine is often used as the base for Docker containers that build from source. That probably doesn't translate cleanly to using as an actual VM as opposed to a build machine, though. I am admittedly very new and naive to this.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NihilCredo posted:

I'm building a new gaming/programming machine for Christmas, for the GPU I have already decided to go AMD for obvious reasons (I want Wayland and KDE).

When it comes to CPU, as far as I can tell there aren't many features that will make a difference between Intel and AMD. Intel has HAAXM which is unnecessary on Linux due to KVM, and I guess Zen4 AMD has AVX512 support which might matter at some point?

When it comes to the motherboard, I guess that's the important part due to various driver quality (I've been burned by Broadcom being a pain before). What manufacturers should I look for for sound, WiFi, and Bluetooth?

It will take time to find out exactly which parts to get, but AMD does offer ECC memory support on their consumer chips, if that is a thing that you are interested in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For the audio stuff, if you just need something to hook up headphones, get the cheap Apple dongle. It's good enough unless you need something that can output more power. That's when you start looking into headphone amps from companies like JDS Labs, Topping, Schitt, and more.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

Are there any consumer motherboards that report ECC faults?

For AM4 I know that the Asus x570 ACE WS does. I haven't looked into AM5 mobos, though.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Steam Deck is one of the most interesting and best executed tech gadgets to be released in quite some time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I would love for that dream to become true.

I got my mom a surface laptop for Christmas (touch screen and solid keyboard were requirements) and setup the app install settings on it to only allow Windows Store apps to install since she has/had a habit of installing all kinds of random stuff from clicking on ads and I'm no longer close enough to home to clean a virus-ridden machine for her.

So, a more locked down device would do wonders.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Everyone here has great advice, but I will say that the Mx Macbooks are crazy powerful for laptops. I'm not sure why you think the specs are worse now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The short version is that I was swerving on the entire topic of the M chips, the processing power is great but there have been multiple cases of scientific programming applications in my area breaking and needing to retool for them, and in general I'm more comfortable with staying outside of Apple's chip-ware where possible. So Apple has been selling Macbooks almost exclusively on the M chip performance but it's not a huge selling point for me personally, and the rest of the peripherals are paying more for the same or slightly less, like drive space, ports, etc.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Also, that may be shader compilation, if your computer didn't get pre-compiled shaders from steam or proton.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

cruft posted:

But that positions your hand so that going northwest or southwest is a big long stretch.

In what way? It's just like WASD, but located on a different part of the board.

e: maybe this is just sarcasm that went over my head...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As far as suckless philosophy goes, remember that these are the folks that think that reading a config file from a disk is a feature that doesn't belong in a program, so they deliberately leave it out, and expect you to recompile every time you want to change a config option.

As a software developer, this seems insane to me. Do they also count configs being stored in a SQL database also reading from a disk? I just don't understand the thought process that could lead to these beliefs.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Is the network card even compatible with your network? Like, it is it a A/B card but your router only supports N and more recent? I don't know how backwards compatibility works with WiFi.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You should be seeing a menu like this to disable Secure Boot:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

cruft posted:

I just told new employer I wanted the HP x360 and not the MacBook.

I sure hope somebody asks later whether I want Windows or Linux, because I'm going to be completely and utterly up poo poo creek if I'm supposed to do productive work on this server code if I get a Windows box. :ohdear:

I've been losing sleep over this, actually. At this point I'll even be relieved to get RHEL5.

The MacBook hardware is just so much nicer than every other laptop, though. :(

I'm guessing too much of the AS Macs are super proprietary so there is no easy way to run *nix on them, right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
4 sticks are often iffy when applying am XMP profile, tbh. It usually isn't even the ram's fault, but the memory controller becomes unable to keep up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Crow posted:

I have never heard of XMP being iffy before and on the face of it, it seems like a load of hogwash?

I guess it would make sense because my first ryzen machine (3900 + aurus master) in decades was having some serious issues where it would brick the mobo (had to pop the cmos battery out to fix it) and the fix was to swap memory with my wife (the memory is fine and has been working in hers for 3~ years, always tested fine in mine). That memory was even in the QVL list specifically because i didnt want bullshit issues.

Don't you literally have to use XMP these days i thought it was a legacy x86 issue or something that no memory can go above like, 2100mhz (i forget the exact value) without xmp, are you telling me the entire memory market segment is built on a lie that XMP "only kind of" works? Where can i read about this, I thought it was basically a standard

edit: to be clear im not saying anyones wrong this is just blowing my mind

As mentioned in the post before yours, XMP is an Intel standard and works (near?) flawlessly with Intel CPUs. However, as AMD memory controllers are not as good as Intel ones, XMP profiles "should" work but don't always. Often, voltages have to be increased a bit and/or timings loosened a bit. EXPO is the AMD equivalent and those profiles should work (near?) flawlessly with AMD CPUs. However, there aren't very many memory modules that have EXPO profiles; they nearly all just have XMP.

e: doesn't exactly answer your question, but does explain EXPO: https://www.makeuseof.com/what-is-amd-expo/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, if you want to do that with commercials, a database of some sort is the way to go. You can put tags and other properties on your commercials and episodes and then only play commercials that match some criteria of the previously played episode. Could still do random, but you get to more easily limit the pool of commercials that can be picked from.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Last Chance posted:

Tell that to apple, which I believe has made macOS mostly immutable?

And Valve with the Steam Deck.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If select parts of a system aren't immutable, how is the system immutable?

How far do we want to go with that? If the whole system has to be immutable, including configuration, how do users work?

e: not a callout or anything, but I think it could be a good point of discussion. How far does an "immutable" system have to go to be considered "immutable"?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

Well, appliances are not made for work, so "just reading the image" makes perfect sense. Of course, you can allow the user to write things, let's say in /tmp, which are lost upon reboot. Perfect for a public facing appliance. Let's just expand the definition of immutable to /var as well, since you do want logs (for support & diagnose things), and maybe could have /var/etc/ with overridden configuration changes (to the extend you let the user change their configuration).

Anything outside of that is, forbidden. IMO such a system can still be considered immutable. Beyond that, no.

Does the Steam Deck not count, in this case, because it allows for multiple users and install Flatpaks into their personal /home/{user} directories, which all persist across reboots?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The first word in those commands is the name of the program you are invoking. If you type in that name and then "-help" (or some variation of that), you will be presented with an explanation of that program and its most commonly used arguments. You can then add "-help" after the program name and argument to get more info on that argument.

You can also use "man" on a program to get its full manual.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 2, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zadda posted:

Thanks for the answers that should help get me started.

BTW, your idea of wanting to know what what you are typing does is very important. Many linux programs are console focused and don't rely on a gui. Some don't even have a gui but are documented well enough for other people to write their own gui which basically just executes those same commands in the background. That's actually one of my favorite things about the os.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

I think the only reason for ~/.local/bin instead of ~/bin is that they were adding lib and share and so on to ~/.local in mirror of the traditional hierarchy under /usr. So as long as you're doing that re-org you might as well move bin in there too.

Nothing to do with security or sandboxing.

Yeah, I agree with that change both aesthetically and also making it even more obvious what is user-specific and what is system-wide.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If someone has access to your system, does it really even matter at that point?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

now getting 401 on this, odd

Works for me, even in private/incognito mode.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've heard lots of discussions about various *nix distros here, but almost nothing about openSUSE. Is there something particularly poor about that distro? I'm thinking about using it as my main WSL distro or when I want to use some *nix utilities on Windows.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Cool, thanks all! I'll go ahead and keep using it for WSL. It will give me a chance to learn a different package manager than what Debian, Arch, Alpine, and Ubuntu use.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Volguus posted:

They do (the big ones anyway). They just sign their stuff with a MS-signed certificate. But if you need to compile your own kernel module (nvidia for example) then it can get more complicated (need to add your own cert to the bios, sign the drat thing with it or with a cert signed with it, etc.). I personally never bothered, disable the thing and move on with life.

I just use the "Other OS" secure boot option thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, with spinning disks, ZFS actually sees a speed increase by using even more CPU power to also compress the data as the time it takes to compress/decompress the data is more than made up for by having less data going onto or off of the disks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Would it maybe be easier to run Windows through a VM? Or would you want the extra GPU performance for Unreal development by running it on bare metal?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Are there any strong reasons for or against using one of Gnome, Plasma, or Budgie over the other? I am wanting to try out one of the Fedora immutable OS's and those are the three DE's I can choose from. I'm mostly used to managing a Debian server through command line only but am wanting to switch from Windows to Linux full-time.

I guess there is also the Sway DE if I wanted something really different, but I'm not sure if I want to go that far, yet.

I briefly looked up some opinions on those DEs and it looks liked Budgie is the most opinionated and has the fewest features, Gnome can do a ton but is relatively fragile and heavier weight, and Plasma is somewhere between the two.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
No questions, yet, but I did it. Fedora Sericea is installed. Helldivers 2 appears to work fine, though I only tried it long enough to walk around my ship. Still need to learn all the keyboard shortcuts and get all my dev software working.

It looks like I may miss out on using the official and optional software for my fans, water pump, audio interface, and gpu. Depends on if I can get them working via Proton/WINE or find some alternative software to do the same thing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I do appreciate the advice! However, it’s more about managing rgb for the fans water blocks, and memory and enabling features like Advanced Sync for the gpu. I plan on leaving the other settings at stock for the gpu and cpu (and the cpu is easy enough to control via bios). A friend already recommended CoreCtrl and Cooler Control for some software to look at that can give greater control than bios for some things. Haven’t looked at them, yet.

I have a good bit of experience with Debian, Ubuntu, and Manjaro and am familiar with the dev tools available on Linux. However, Sericea is an atomic OS and it prefers I install things via containers and specifically recommends something called Toolbox. I found their documentation for it, just have to read and understand it. This distro just does things differently than I am used to because of things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Klyith posted:

I think hardware-control apps via Wine is a lost cause. Wine does the APIs, but it doesn't provide direct access to hardware in the windows way.

For set-and-forget stuff you can use the official apps in a windows VM and pass the hardware through. So that can work for a mouse with onboard profiles or RGB stuff that remembers how you set it. Bit of a puzzle how to pass a mobo-integrated RGB controller in though.

For dynamic control, it's linux alternatives or nothing. OpenRGB is on flathub. FanControl isn't -- their github bugs say "it isn't possible" to make a flatpak. (It seems a lot more like "this would be annoying and I'm not interested".)

Ooh, all I need is a set-and-forget for everything except specific GPU feature settings and RAM RGB so the Windows VM idea seems great! I'll work on that later.

Also, kanshi is really neat! Figured out how to get my monitors stacked vertically and set my refresh rate to what it should be. Sadly, my gaming monitor is not FreeSync compatible and I have an AMD card so I won't be able to take advantage of VRR so that option will have to remain disabled. :(