Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I searched around and found most of my answers to this, but I want to run it by y'all and see if I'm understanding right.
I'm not a new ubuntu user, I'm okay at messing around in terminals, but I'm far from an advanced user.
Also, I don't plan to store a ton of stuff on it, just use it for browsing, messing around, etc. So I'm using an 8 GB stick, which is apparently common enough these days as to be free swag from conferences :confused:
I appreciate any help, thanks guys!

1. I want to run Ubuntu from a flash drive, persistently. Like, not as a "trial run," but with a persistent user, home folder, etc.
Are these the correct instructions for that?

2. In case I lose the USB drive, I want to run an encrypted home directory. Looks like this is natively supported nowadays. Not a question, just saying.

3. I don't plan to store sensitive stuff on it, but I want to encrypt so people can't get at e.g. my browser cache (cookied sites, etc.) if I lose it. Is an encrypted home directory the proper way to guard such things? In other words, does the browser store its cookies/cache in the home directory, or do I have other places I need to worry about?

4. I know it's probably not a real concern, but someone once showed me Tails :tinfoil: and how it wipes the host computer's RAM when you remove it so people can't jump on the computer and access your stuff. I thought that was pretty cool. Is this a legit concern for someone running flash-drive-ubuntu, or is Tails just being overkill?

edit: vvvvvv
I explained badly. The concern in #4 is someone somehow accessing the RAM of the host computer even though you have already logged off. This is probably really hard or impossible to do, right? I was just asking cause I heard it brought up once.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

alnilam posted:

I searched around and found most of my answers to this, but I want to run it by y'all and see if I'm understanding right.
I'm not a new ubuntu user, I'm okay at messing around in terminals, but I'm far from an advanced user.
Also, I don't plan to store a ton of stuff on it, just use it for browsing, messing around, etc. So I'm using an 8 GB stick, which is apparently common enough these days as to be free swag from conferences :confused:
I appreciate any help, thanks guys!

I searched around more, and found out:
My link in #1 is not quiite correct - that makes a live-boot on the USB drive. It does allow persistence, but all the persistence is within some particular file, edit: called casper-rw, which is NOT encrypted.
What I found out to do instead is install Ubuntu fully (from a live CD) to the USB drive. This involves properly partitioning the USB drive, and then installing to it as if it were a hard drive.
Decent instructions in post 5 here (CS Cameron's post)

I also found out from Hifi and another source (lost it now) that encrypting my Home directory should be enough to protect my browser data.
If anyone has anything contrary to say, please let me know.

Also, in case you want super security, I found out you can set up your entire USB stick as an encrypted drive and install Ubuntu within the encrypted volume. Then, your whole filesystem is encrypted and you are prompted for a password before it even boots. Instructions here, but I think I'm going to do the simpler option of encrypting Home.

edit: Link to another helpful post, with lots of USB-booting options.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking to get a crappy old computer from the thrift store and set it up with linux to be my 5 year old's babby's first computer. Mainly a learn-to-type/use a computer, a homework station, and maybe some simple games (I'm thinking maybe an NES emulator and gamepad). Probably will have internet browsing locked for the time being and slowly introduce the web as we go along.

I use Linux Mint so I was gonna do that since it's what I'm familiar with, and my general plan was to make it pretty bare bones, make her a non admin account, maybe even make it so games have no shortcuts and must be launched from terminal for bonus computer learningness?

Anyway I'm posting here wondering if anyone here has done something similar and has any advice based on their experience.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Seems kinda cruel to inflict linux on a mere child.

I mean it's free and she'll just be word processing and maybe playing simple games. It seems similarly weird to pay for Windows if that's all she's doing. It should be pretty drat easy to use once set up, and if not and she learns a little about fiddling with computers til they work, bonus imo.

When I was 6 we had a DOS computer and I had to learn to launch games by typing A:\run.exe or type dir and figure out what the run file was. Looking back it was not that hard, it was a cool and formative learning experience, and I'm sure it's somewhat informing my thinking here

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah good points. She does not have any tablet or phone experience apart from video calls with grandparents so I think she'll be pretty excited by a computer she can actually do stuff with, but forcing the CLI usage might be a bit much atm.

I did think about a raspberry pi actually. I mostly use one for media playing, but I guess it should be good enough for the light usage I'm describing. Are there especially lightweight distros people tend to run on them or will Mint work fine?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cruft posted:

gcompris, and scummvm with freddi fish.

I was thinking dosbox and reader rabbit to start with, these are good ideas too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

It was the hottest poo poo for a teenager like me.

That really whips the llama's rear end