Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well that's the end of that little thought experiment. Thanks anyway goons!

Have you looked into WSL? Not sure what Linux specific things you want to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows Subsystem for Linux? I've heard of it but have no clue what it is or how to use it.

There's nothing I need Linux for, I just like to try new things. VMs may just suffice for now though. My machine is a Ryzen 5600x, 16GB RAM on an NVMe drive. Performance even only giving the VM two cores and 4GB RAM is surprisingly decent for mucking around with.

It's a built in Linux VM that's a button click away. CLI is 100% Linux, GUI apps are embedded in magic Microsoft windows, there's an automatic two way mount point for your files.

Some apps have additional WSL integration, for example VS code can connect to projects in WSL without a hitch, others like pycharm have paid versions that do the same but you can just install a Linux version, create a Windows shortcut to it and it works anyway. It's great.

I think the default distro is Ubuntu, but you can maybe change it? Unsure about that one.