Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
From the "modify default useradd behaviour" i understand it as the problem not being "how do i groups", but "how do i make it so 'useradd username' always automatically puts them in groups?", maybe?

Porkinson, is this correct?

Does it need to be systemwide or is it okay if it's only for your user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

VikingofRock posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but for whatever reason I'm having trouble finding the answer: how do I change the default tab width in the terminal? I'm using zsh as my shell and konsole as my terminal emulator--I'm not sure which one controls the tab width. Googling "zsh tab width" turns up a bunch of info about zsh tab completion, and googling "konsole tab width" turns up a bunch of information about using multiple tabs in konsole.

Check if you have a "tabs" command. On my ubuntu machine i can do 'tabs -N' to set tab stops to every N characters. if it exists, man tabs was fairly readable.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I tried to get those exploits to work (he links to the "open calculator" file etc) on my ubuntu 16.04 lts installation, but couldn't get it to do so. Supposedly it should trigger just from browsing, but neither dolphin nor nautilus caused anything to happen, and opening the files just opened a music player that tried to play them. Fairly default install, non-gnome window manager. Maybe gnome is important to the exploit?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Pop! Is pretty great and I like system 76 for what they do, but I kind of wish they'd have gone with Debian as their source instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is basically "Debian + Canonical's Vision", and then pop is "Ubuntu, but like, without Canonical's muckups".

Edit: I haven't had much chance to try mint yet, I've been on Ubuntu for 14 years or so. Shoved mint on my work laptop last year but have been stuck in a Windows project so haven't given it much time yet.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 24, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In my experience, the strongest argument in favour of Ubuntu on laptops is that, given it's a standard model from any known manufacturer, it's likely that 1. It mostly works out of the box and 2. Someone has an easily googlable GitHub wiki page with fixes and workarounds for any remaining issues.

It is likely that all of the above applies to mint/pop as well, but you'll have to Google for laptop+Ubuntu still.

This might be true for other distros as well, but I've never bothered to investigate because I've had maybe two problems in 14 years and something like 8 laptops and 4 homebuilt desktops.

I'm mostly looking at others now to see if I can find something that works as well for me while being easier to use for less powery users, as I tend to be the local IT for both friends and colleagues.

Edit: and as the above poster said, some privacy concerns, plus snaps and general lack of trust in Canonical's Vision and priorities.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Pablo Bluth posted:

When work finally gave me a reason to learn Linux and then I finally started running it at home, Ubuntu was the new hot thing. Since then I'd only really consider switching distro at the point of new hardware and that's been few and far between. And outside of playing around with Manjaro in a VM, my mindset better aligns with the stability of non-rolling releases over having the very latest in software versions.

A large part of me wants to move away from Ubuntu, mainly to escape snaps. However, for my next Linux machine I want to go with a ZFS storage setup and that'll probably keep on at Ubuntu, otherwise I might go Fedora.

Mint ('s lead developer) is morally opposed to snaps and in 2020 at least it shipped without snapd and prevented you from unknowingly installing snaps via apt, so that's definitely a direction you might want to look in if you're otherwise happy with Ubuntu.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Lady Radia posted:

why -morally- opposed tho

"You can’t audit them, hold them, modify them or even point snap to a different store. You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you."

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Pre-fabricated lego builds that're glued together aren't the most fun toy, so I can kinda see his point at least from that viewpoint.
Doesn't seem like a moral/ethics issue, just a technical one.

I think his view, which I mostly agree with, is that being able to choose, or even know, what code is running on your system, is an ethical issue, and snaps don't do that. Choosing to run a snap is fine, but the system silently forcing it on you when you try to install things the regular, traceable way, is bad, not just from a technical standpoint.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm trying to run a node.js app as a systemd service, but I'm getting "activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code)" and "(code=exited, status=203/EXEC)" instead of the service actually running.

I'm thinking that, because I installed node.js as a snap:

code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/node /home/user/filepath/main.js --dataPath=/home/user/filepath/filedata
"/usr/bin/node" isn't the right path? I've shortened the file path for the sake of presenting it, but otherwise, this would be the argument I'd use to manually start the app in a terminal:

code:
node /home/user/filepath/main.js --dataPath=/home/user/filepath/filedata
and it's always worked fine. I also tried just "node" instead of "/usr/bin/node" in ExecStart and received the same error.

Edit: I figured it out... first, I figured out that snaps are installed to /snap/bin, which gave me a different CHDIR error, then I removed the WorkingDirectory argument and the service started correctly.

You've already solved it, but one useful tip for similar situations is the "which" command.

In your case, "which node" would've printed "/snap/bin/node".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

22 Eargesplitten posted:

lspci brings up "00:14.3 Network controller: Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi" and lsmod | grep iwlwifi brings up:

"iwlwifi 495616 1 iwlmvm
iwlmei 53248 2 iwlmvm,iwlwifi
cfg80211 1003520 4 iwlmvm,iwlmei,iwlwifi,mac80211"

My understanding is that iwlwifi is the Intel wifi driver from doing some google searching. I don't think any updates installed between it working and not working, I was using the laptop, left the house, and when I came back it wasn't working.

Do system76 have any support or user forums? Since it's the shipped installation (right?) on official hardware, it should either be something that's already been noticed and maybe there's a guide, or it's a hardware problem in which case it's a warranty issue.

Edit: also found this bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/1867026) via Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/System76/comments/fj698z/solved_darter_pro_no_wifi_after_update_ac9560/

Same hwid (00:14.3) so it's worth checking if you're on the same kernel version, or at least not on the one they say fixed it.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 29, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

RFC2324 posted:

anyone have a reasonably modern, up to date, how to linux 101 they can share?

I got stuck with an intern who had to be taught about `ls` and its been 25 years since I dealt with the basics, I have no idea how to teach him to be useful

What is the goal of the Linux knowledge? Is it just "do whatever our job is, but in Linux" or more "learn how to do the Linux stuff the job is actually about"? Because for the first one, helping them find a good wm/de and setting up hotkeys similar to windows (or Mac if that's where they're from) might be enough. If the second, I don't know, I'm in the same situation that I've lived and worked in Linux and terminals for so long that I have a hard time relating to not being that way.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tesseraction posted:

Well I've discovered something lovely. I tried to perform a back-up of some data and found that the output is completely bollocksed. Turns out btrfs (don't ask me I didn't pick it) reuses inums across subvolumes, so the archive assumes that same inum = hardlink, don't bother saving the file again.

Any ideas how to get past this?

What backup tool? It might have an option either for btrfs support, or for something like "don't skip hardlinks".

Edit: hadn't refreshed. If tar is how you do it, you could try --hard-dereference.
Man says "Follow hard links; archive and dump the files they refer to". Not super clear what this means or what it does without it, but it might do something.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 28, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah, I'm running it with that at the moment and it *seems* to be working. I will report back. Guess I finally learned why that's an option at all.

Phrasing is a bit unclear but supposedly what it means is:
Default behaviour: if something is a link to a previously read file, preserve that information so they are still hardlinks after unpacking

With flag: save it as a separate file, they will not be hardlinks after unpacking.

It seems like this shouldn't matter here since they're not actually hard links though.
A dude on stackexchange says " It records the device number and inode of each file with more than one link, and uses that to detect when the same file is being archived again", so even if btrfs reuses some number it shouldn't have a link count of >1, and thus not be recorded, so it's really weird.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

The Merkinman posted:

Running Ubuntu 22.04, I've had the same computer for probably a decade now. Lately it's been saying my Filesystem Root is low on space. I do have /home on a different partition. Any way to clean up the filesystem? Maybe removing stuff I don't need after so many upgrades?

I know I could probably just fresh install Ubuntu 22.04, but I'd rather not go that route if it can be avoided.

Not a solution now, but in my experience there's no real benefits to having home as a separate partition if it isn't actually a separate disk. It just forces you to accurately guess how big your partitions will ger and waste any space you misguessed.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
You could also do 'git add -i' after deleting the file, and it will ask you if it should stage for every modified file, which should also include files you can't specify on the commandline easily.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Most butt solutions for backup have terrible RTO unless you're willing to pay for a shipping container full of drives, Backblaze included.

Your plugin is showing ;)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Twerk from Home posted:

What is the right way for a process limited by cgroups to figure out how much memory it has available to it before it's going to get OOMKilled? I see a CLI tool called "cgget", but I'd really like a library.

It looks like in cgroup v1 you could check /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes from the process being controlled by the cgroup, but that's gone in v2 and instead /sys/fs/cgroup/memory.max is there. Do I have to write code to check both, if I want to run inside of cgroups v1 and v2?

It's been a while but the last time i wrangled cgroups I don't think we ever came up with a better way than reading the memory.limit_in_bytes file, so yeah probably the best bet is to check for both files and read whichever exists. I don't have access to the code anymore so I can't check if there was some more cleverness, but I don't remember any convenient way to just ask.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also, you might want to run 'apt autoremove' to get rid of some of the old kernels. There's basically no reason to keep more around than current and previous.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Takes No Damage posted:

I've already upgraded past this issue, but I wanted to ask for future reference: is there a way to put a hold on your old kernel and only update the current one?

Backstory: After a kernel update when I rebooted I only had one monitor and resolution was locked to 640x480 or something stupid. Tracked it down to a video driver issue in that update and booted with my previous kernel, everything was fine. What I wanted to avoid was updating to another kernel version with the same issue and having both a current and previous kernel that were busted. I wanted to lock my working previous kernel version and only update the current one.

You can use 'apt-mark hold' to mark a package as held, preventing it from being upgraded or autoremoved. So if you hold the known working kernel, you can fearlessly update and autoremove after that and it will remain for you to boot into if it breaks.

Edit: scenarios like this is also why upgrade doesn't autoremove and kernels are different packages that succeed that previous instead of being versions of the same. The suggested procedure is to upgrade, reboot, and then autoremove, so you don't end up with only a nonbooting kernel.

I think (don't quote me on this/rely on it for safety) that Ubuntu internally keeps track of kernels you've booted, so even if you run autoremove immediately, it will keep the one you're currently on in addition to latest, as it hasn't confirmed that the new one works yet.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 25, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Klyith posted:

Looks like Mint still isn't using PipeWire. At this point I'd definitely want pipewire for gaming since that's what Steam uses on the Deck. Especially if you have a multi-channel setup.

So you could switch Mint over to pipewire, which looks possible but very manual (no pipewire bundle in the mint repos so you're adding debian PPAs).

Or you could switch to a distro that's more bleeding-edge than Mint. Which is most of them, even something like fedora. This is probably IMO a good idea if gaming is a primary purpose for you.

I briefly used a Xonar audio card with my linux install before switching to a USB DAC/AMP. Had no problems with it -- the Xonars are really a standard Cirrus audio chip with Asus silkscreened on top, so they're terribly weird. Only bought the USB thing because I needed more PCIe slots for my Windows Gaming VM plan, which I'm not even doing because linux gaming works so well for me.

OTOH I've never done anything but 2-channel because I use headphones only. So I have zero clue about all the potential problems of multi-channel, with the Xonar or just in general.

On my mint 21 install at least pipewire is available in the official preconfigured repos, no adding PPAs required.

Edit: ah the link does mention that it's already there, but suggests the PPA for a more up to date version. Ignore me then, I contributed nothing here :dance:

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 28, 2023

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I also highly recommend shellcheck for any script whose correctness and maintainability you care about. It's been a lifesaver many times for me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

You could also just have a games group that you're part of, and which has ownership of the games directory.

I used to have it set up like this, so me and my wife could share a drive for games, but in the end she just started using my login instead because actually having separate users didn't achieve anything except sometimes make stuff harder to do, so now it's just owned by me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

NihilCredo posted:

Firefox is much better at this (pages are rendered in half a second or so), but as a card-carrying member of the 'keeps 50-100 tabs open at all times' club, I donīt want Firefox to start up whenever I double click on a PDF from my documents folder.

The solution here is to always have firefox open!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think there's basically no legit use case for a bash script that doesn't set at least -e, -u and probably pipefail. If you do actually need to run a command that might fail and still continue, there are ways to write that that clearly shows intent and doesn't ruin everything else. Same for potentially unset variables. Always do set -eu, it will definitely save your rear end some day if you write more than ten lines of bash in your life.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also also, maybe overkill for home use but if you ever write a bash script at work (hello half my career), do yourself a favour and run shellcheck.

It will catch, and tell you how to fix, basically every common error known to man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ugh, this PC is used by my wife too so I might have to abandon the idea. She works from home sometimes and I don't want to potentially mess up her entire day with something not agreeing with Windows and Linux.

I dualboot a couple of my machines and for this reason they all default to windows if one doesn't choose otherwise.

I have not had issues with bitlocker being rude to me, but I can't tell you if I did anything special to achieve this.

I have done the "point to Linux from the windows bootloader" version once, I probably followed the info on the arch wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dual_boot_with_Windows#Using_the_Windows_Vista/7/8/8.1_boot_loader

Not sure how/if this works with win 10/11 though.