Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hi there linux interested goons.

So I've been casually interested in linux, using this weird offshoot of ubuntu called lubuntu to use on a crappy netbook that actually helped it run smooth and good considering its' terrible specs! So I've had some experience in using ubuntu/linuxy commands to install stuff, but see... I recently got a new laptop and I'm trying to dual boot windows ten and arch-linux.

And guess what!

I'm having some difficulty with the installation of arch-linux!

I get to the part where I have to format/partition the drive I want to use for root. Everything seems okay and the partition I want to use/mount shows up under fdisk -l, and lsblk commands. However my SSD partitions are named differently, instead of the sda, sda1, sda2, sdb, sdb1 naming scheme most guides suggest I should expect, my SSD drive is named nume0n1, and nume0n1p1 for the partitions. Whenever I try and point to the partition I want as root with commands to begin format it, (such as; # parted /dev/nume0n1p5)) I get the error message: file or directory could not be found. I vaguely suspect it's because I formatted them using windows and that's somehow incorrect to make space for the new OS. Arch-linux has their own forum but upon reading some of their material they would clearly peg me immediately as a casual windows user and ridicule me, so I'm here to be ridiculed by goons instead.

Regardless, its becoming clear I'm probably way out of my depth, despite me wanting to learn more about computers and linux in general. I was wondering if there were other OS's that would be regarded as more hard than ubuntu but less hard then gentoo and arch-linux? Thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Holy crap its nvme! My resolution on this laptop is surprisingly big and the terminal interface for the boot installation is at a 7-6 point font. So I'm having lots of readability errors! It's kind of ridiculous.

Hey, thanks for your other advice you two! The most appealing thing for me for running gentoo or arch is that someone suggested I try that as a joke so I thought I would push myself to try and cobble it together. I really liked lubuntu for it's comparatively light OS compared to windows 8 at the time which was choking my old crappy laptop. Now I just want to run a barebones OS for the sake of it. Presumably I'll have windows 10 to fall back on, if I mess up the other OS really bad. It's not like I'm doing it for some sort of project or need it for anything. I just write word processor documents and read pdfs and I back those up pretty regularly.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hey, checking in to say I just got everything kinda set up with Arch and a Gnome desktop! So thanks for pointing out the v thing again.

It was seriously a lot of set up, but it's also the kind of thing where I'm sure I can go through the motions again in a fraction of the time now. So I feel like I've learned a little bit. I just have to set all the programs I prefer at this point.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

evol262 posted:

Same thing as most Arch users.

Yeah their whole website is written by elitist pricks it seems, that's why I came here first. Things I learned: mostly how to mount and unmount hard drives from the live USB in order to install files/look at stuff. I wish I had gotten to know how to use the fdisk and parted but I couldn't write a new tree because I would lose my copy of windows, and I tried really hard looking about how to write new commands with them but ended up just hoping onto windows and partitioning the drive from there where there's a graphical interface. Other then that it's a lot of the same with lots of pacman instead of apt-get. And you have to edit some files but honestly if they had a better guide I'm sure it would be more painless. Instead they like giving vague descriptions like people should know everything already.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 21, 2016

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Uhg, so Arch-Linux. It's going pretty good until it doesn't. I've been trying to install Libre-Office because it's a pretty big deal and I was hoping it would be more stable as an office tool compared to Calligra Words, and Abiword. However I've been failing pretty horribly.Every time I open Libre Office it only has a fraction of the window, a square in the top left corner approximately 60% of the whole window, visible with a part of the page and some tool bar stuff. It clearly cuts off the rest of the Libre Office window, and parts with nothing in it are simply a grayed out window area. I have no clue what the issue is and I've been downloading gnome graphical extension stuff, and personally set the display option to fit the Gnome window environment. I just have no clue really what the issue is at this point, I'm stuck. Do any of you have any clue as to what would make only the top left chunk of the screen visible in this office software?

Like imagine this Libre office window:

- = Office suite
/ = gray window of frustration
________
|----|//|
|----|//|
|///////|

I tried to install "shutter" to take a picture of what it looked like, however this too failed me graphically. When I tried to take any kind of screen capture the file that was written was simply a wallpaper with a white background an a million "shutter" logos milling about on screen. So I may have bigger issues than just with that program.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 30, 2016

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hey there, sorry I didn't attach pictures or try other photo capturing techniques. I was really tired and passing out in my bed at that point!
So here's what my problem looks like using the gnome screenshot thing.

So this image up above shows the program's display not working. As you can see the visible box in the window's resolution is quite large too.

This is me showing uh, the fix I was directed to by the Arch wiki and I believe essentially what Bourricot asked me to do. So thanks a lot but I think I tried that, editing each comment away one by one until I've tried all the options once. (Leaving the rest commented of course.)

This is just an image of my Gnome on the preferences about thing to prove that I am running gnome 3, which I believe is the gtk3 option in the picture above. To speak to the people talking about my themes. I am using the default Adaita for everything! Except for the shell theme, I'm using no shell theme. As you can see I'm using Wayland. I use GDM I believe, when Arch starts up I'm taken to a graphical user selection screen and log onto the desktop from there. As for graphical driver, just uh, a basic one that does intel built in graphics, arch comes with the vesa drivers, and I just installed xf86-video-intel as a result of the question.

Hey thanks for all the comments, sorry I'm using Arch and making GBS threads up the thread with my problems. Calligra Word still technically works, and I have a desktop and windows. So I'm not totally out of options or desperate or anything. Calligra word just can't really open docx compatibility files however. I'd just like Linux to work and I think of it as a puzzle trying to figure out whats happening and investigating online and stuff. However I'm at a bit of a dead end this time. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Bourricot posted:

I don't think LibreOffice is compatible with Wayland yet. Do you still have those issues if you use Gnome with an Xorg session ?

Hey Bourricot! You're really on point with your help!

So long story shorter; when I first installed arch I couldn't use the tap to click function on my touch pad. This led to me frantically searching for fixes half assedly reading through various guides and pages on the wikis. I installed a bad systemd.conf.whatever file in /etc/X11 which may have been loving with something. It appeared on my error list when running startx. However I also had permission errors trying to run startx first while I was already on the Gnome with Wayland session! So I had to add a file in /etc/X11 > Xwrapper.config.txt > with the text as :"allowed_users=anybody". I have no idea whether I deleted this file by accident or from the start have only been using Gnome with Wayland or what have you.

When you mentioned it wasn't compatible with Wayland, you set me off on that long journey. Now I've cleaned up my directories of that useless poo poo (that I shitted up my computer with) that was probably breaking Xorg. Thanks! Sorry it was such a simple mistake, laughable in hindsight.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Tigren posted:

This is what Linux on the desktop was 5-10 years ago. It doesn't have to be this way.

This time it's probably my fault, I dunno if I can keep this up if stuff like this keep happening.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Xik posted:

You're probably right, it was mostly a (possibly extreme) counter-example to the idea that newbies should pick a distro that makes frequent breaking changes, has poor package management or has no installer because it is somehow a "useful learning tool".

:kiddo:

I can't help but feel like that was directed at me. Well no breaking updates yet, fingers crossed.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

TLDR: This is a foolish problem I'm having with Arch and if you have no time for foolishness then don't worry about reading this post.

I've got to say when I'm using Arch and it's working, it's great. I don't like the fact that they seem to roll out updates every 3-4 months that break my laptop.

Um, so I've got this thing now where I go into suspend, specifically by pressing a suspend power key on my laptop, and when I try to wake it out of suspend it doesn't wake up. My keys have lighting, my power light indicates that it's on but it doesn't come out of the black screen and videos don't start playing again. I can't hear any desktop noises and it seems to still be suspended apart from the lights on the back and the keys. I can't access the screen-lock screen, and I can only use my laptop again by holding the power button down to turn it off and back on again.

I know, blah blah don't use Arch, I'm considering switching now, but does anybody know by chance what this sounds like? I've checked the /etc/systemd/logind.conf which is what I hosed around with in order to stop this weird suspend loop that occurs when opening my laptop lid, and everything seems normal.

I'm probably going to get asked about my loginid.conf since it's directly related even though I don't think it's the issue so I'll post it.

code:
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
# Entries in this file show the compile time defaults.
# You can change settings by editing this file.
# Defaults can be restored by simply deleting this file.
#
# See logind.conf(5) for details.

[Login]
#NAutoVTs=6
#ReserveVT=6
#KillUserProcesses=no
#KillOnlyUsers=
#KillExcludeUsers=root
#InhibitDelayMaxSec=5
#HandlePowerKey=poweroff
HandleSuspendKey=suspend
#HandleHibernateKey=hibernate
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
#HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
#PowerKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#SuspendKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
#HibernateKeyIgnoreInhibited=no
LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited=no
#HoldoffTimeoutSec=30s
#IdleAction=ignore
#IdleActionSec=30min
#RuntimeDirectorySize=10%
#RemoveIPC=yes
#InhibitorsMax=8192
#SessionsMax=8192
#UserTasksMax=33%

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hmm... maybe you should try Arch instead, why waste any disk space?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

An Enormous Boner posted:

Gnome's animations run like poo poo but the hot corner for the expose-style overview and macOS-like dock behavior takes about the least mental energy of any of the zillions of WM/DEs I've spent any time with. The windows all stay in the same order and you can close them without it rearranging anything. Plus the dynamic multiple desktops work really well.

:yeah:

I run arch and gnome on a decent laptop and I've never noticed any performance issues. It's just so easy to move the mouse top left and my laptop has only like 12.5 inches in screen real estate and is HDPI. So the nice scaling and the simple window shuffle makes life so much better compared to windows or other display managers.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I just did a system update on arch linux that killed my laptop. I know this is a pretty basic question but I like to hear people's and goon's opinions on what I, non-computer toucher and basic user, should switch distros too. I was thinking Manjaro because they're basically arch with a stable branch and more package testing, and I'm used to pacman and aur, but I'd understand if you all shouted at me that I should swap to ubunto or something.

I used arch for several years I think, and nearly all of my issues have come from the release cycle where packages don't play nicely with each other and it's annoying. I can use the wiki and do research and fix most things but it just kinda sucks having to handle that all the time.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Democracy has spoken and now I am an 'Ubuntur'. Thank you SA for once again changing my life in meaningful and profound ways. I really like how wifi utilities like network manager came preinstalled so I didn't have to use wifi tools in the installation phase to install network manager while chrooted in.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I was introduced to linux by a friend and wanted something light for a laptop and it seemed like it would be fun hobby thing to do.

It was fun and interesting for a time but now I value things like hunspell on libre office not breaking and vera crypt not breaking and firefox plugins not breaking and not having periods where they were rolling out wayland on gnome to make it the default graphics thing, but half the applications on arch weren't wayland compatible so they didn't open and you had to look up the cause because gnome auto selected the wayland preset, or vlc breaking not breaking.

I really needed to type a thing in office tonight but veracrypt wasn't working and I updated hoping that it might be sorted out after the update, but it broke laptop instead.

To its credit, the arch-wiki is fairly good and if you read it carefully you'll be able to resolve most issues you'll have. Its just that the amount of times I've pacman -syu and one thing is incompatible and doesn't work anymore is a little obscene, and thus arch isn't right for me now.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 15, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Amethyst posted:

I'm trying to install telegram-desktop on KDE neon, which is based on ubuntu LTS.

code:
# sudo apt-get install telegram-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) telegram-desktop:amd64 < none -> 1.2.17-1 @un puN Ib >
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 < none | 1.0.3-3 @un uH > (>= 1.0)
  Considering libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64 0 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
  Re-Instated libtgvoip1.0.3:amd64
Broken telegram-desktop:amd64 Depends on qtbase-abi-5-9-5:amd64 < none @un H >
  Considering libqt5core5a:amd64 3136 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
  Considering libqt5core5a:amd64 3136 as a solution to telegram-desktop:amd64 9999
Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 telegram-desktop : Depends: qtbase-abi-5-9-5
                    Recommends: fonts-open-sans but it is not going to be installed
                    Recommends: libappindicator3-1 but it is not going to be installed
sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
According to random bits i've found googling, this can be caused by a "mixed" sources configuration in /etc/apt/sources.list

I'm trying to learn how to fix this but most bits of documentation I've found are vague. Is there a good source to learn about apt that actual explains how it works? the man page isn't that helpful about sources either.

from the very little I understand about linux, it is a sources issue. The package you tried to install has a couple of packages that it needs to work, however they're not included in your sources document or whatever and that's why you can't pull it over terminal.

All you need to do is either find someone else with the same issue who has put together a ppa (?? I think) with the packages in it, or manually install them by finding the packages on the internet and unzipping/making them. Once you find a way to install libappindicator3-1 and fonts-open-sans you should be able to install the qtbase dependency and then telegram desktop.

E: I posted this so that people could laugh at my hackneyed reasoning and linux knowledge.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I just wanted to mention because I'm in a poo poo posting mood that I hate apt and miss arch repos and pacman. I think next time my computer has a fatal error or something I'll go with manjaro for the quick installation and pacman + arch repos + yay cause I never learned how to make packages properly.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hollow Talk posted:

Or just choose a real distro that builds things properly and maybe doesn't tend to produce fatal errors. :v:

I'm using Ubuntu but I'm still certain it's only a matter of time until I do something that breaks it lol. It's mostly a post complaining about having to relearn a package manager. Actually I miss the arch wiki too because it is really helpful.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I basically stopped reading/posting in this thread after swapping to ubuntu over a year ago because it just works. Until an update a few months ago, where the bios seems to have trouble finding the grub to boot/dm-crypt whatever to decrypt my computer.

updates don't seem to be fixing it so I'm thinking of making my life hell again and installing arch. I do eventually get ubuntu to boot, but it happens through restarting my computer 4-7 times in a row until I get the password field, which is time consuming.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

bagual posted:

You should look at your storage, had a ubuntu 20.04 server mysteriously fail to boot 75% of the time, mysterious because when it booted normally just no indication of any problem, it had an ssd and a lovely refurbished HDD which mounted as /media/backup, the later one apparently just hosed up the boot process by itself, could get into bios but the moment grub tried to load it froze on the mobo splash screen.

Oooh I don't want it to be this because it's like a single ssd drive on a laptop I think, but it sounds like this.

Cause the battery is failing, the screen has a giant crack in it, the charger fails every 6 months or so. But laptop is expensive to replace. :\

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 19, 2021

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Dunno, might be battery expansion doing the dislodging work too on the cables. I'll reinstall an Unix and see if it's resolved, then pop it open. I backed up everything last night.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

It's a Razer Blade stealth 2016~ or refurb 2015. The charging cable has always been prone to shorting itself or something and requiring replacements. The hinges seized up like two years back and I picked it up, putting too much pressure on the screen with now broken hinges and it cracked. A third of the screws have fallen out of the aluminum frame... It certainly is a machine....

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I tried to install arch and it appears that they have removed packages from their base package bundle, and so having failed to partition my system correctly I just installed manjaro in literally 1 minute.

Anyways I think rather than my ssd dying, it seems to be an issue with grub or luks encryption with multiple updates sitting on each other. The system boots reliably from the new manjaro installation.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

imnotinsane posted:

Join the dark side and use a tiling window manager instead and then all windows will go to their correct place on the desktop

The only thing is that my laptop screen is tiny and I fear that, given my experience with tiling, that I will get desktops that strain my eyes. E: and the display manager is different than the distro right?

EE: Tiny but high res, it's a 1440 on 12.5 inches

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've loaded the arch/manjaro hibernate/suspend system.d service page 5 times in the past couple of months and been unable to parse it at all. Hibernation is such a useful feature for laptops. Why do I need to check the kernel and like five different places (exaggeration) to make it work.