Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Okay, so I am thinking of building a Linux box, and I want to do so from scratch, it seems Arch Linux or SlackWare are pretty much the only two popular distro's that allow you to build them from the ground up. What packages am I going to need to get a decent KDE desktop up and running?

I have never built my own custom distro, and I am also new to Linux, however I work on (old late 90's) HP-UX all the time, so command line does not scare me.

If anyone knows of some commonly used "cannot live without" essential Linux packages to add into my Arch setup, I would love to know what they are. I know I am going to need at a minimum Firefox, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, and Transmission, I would also like to be able to listen to music and watch videos on my system, is there a package containing the codecs for digital media similar to ubuntu-restricted-extras?

Uh, what? I can't think of any distribution that locks you into specific software except for the kernel you run and other system level tools. If you want KDE there's premade KDE-specific distributions like the Fedora KDE spin or Kubuntu, and if you want to install that stuff yourself there's Debian, Slackware, Gentoo, ect... If you would rather stay with Unix there's always Open/Net/FreeBSD. If you want software just google search it and add "linux" to the end of it, or look at the wikipedia software comparison pages.

Cockblocking Jerk posted:

Arch sounds like what I am looking for then, because I look at other distros, and while they are nice, I am worried that once I get into tweaking with them I will break something that I didn't know existed and then oops, there goes my OS. With Arch, things are only there if I put them there. This whole thing will have to wait until I get back from deployment, as I do not have reliable access to the internet for doing the initial set up and configuration of Arch.

I wouldn't really expect this to hold true. Linux distributions don't differ because of the software available to the user or how the third-party software runs on the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bewilderment posted:

No, I just didn't explain myself properly: all I meant was that my only *nix experience previously was through SSHing to a Solaris terminal, so I don't have any real preconceptions of GNOME, KDE or what have you.

You can use whatever desktop shell you want to on *nix. Check the wikipedia article on window managers and read the small bits about each type of window manager, then see the bottom expandable box for typical examples of each style of window manager. Installing something new won't break your current setup either.

Longinus00 posted:

It should also be noted that this means your disk access will be very slow compared to a native install because all your disk access will be into a file on ntfs via ntfs-3g, a FUSE (userspace) filesystem.

Maybe the Wubi setup is slow but the NTFS driver shouldn't be.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I'm about to explode in frustration here.

hosed up an install of Ubuntu Server, and as I haven't done anything with it since installing this morning, I'm just going to re-install.

The problem is that the PC won't boot from a flash drive as long as the drives I installed Ubuntu to are connected. Doesn't matter which SATA ports I have the drives plugged in to, it always boots from the hard drives instead of the flash drive. I disabled booting from all devices except for "USB-HDD" in the BIOS, and it STILL boots from the hard drives.

As soon as I disconnect the hard drives it boots from the flash drive...but then I can't install to them.

It worked fine this morning before I installed anything to them.

(I keep saying "hard drives" and "them" because I installed to a pair of drives in software RAID1)

Does the flash drive appear in the HD boot order? On my desktop the flash drive appears as a HD instead of a peripheral/optical drive.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ninja Dan posted:

Hello all, I'm trying to set up a dynamic MOTD for when I log on via SSH but not having much luck. I've done a bit of googling and found some guides however they don't work and none are specific to my distro, CentOS 6.3.

Mostly, I just want a script that will display a welcome message with the user name and then do a "fortune | cowsay".

What I've tried at this point is putting this code in '/etc/motd':

code:
#!/bin/bash

fortune | cowsay

echo -e "

Welcome to the hivemind, `whoami`

Unauthorized access is strictly forbidden.
"
I've also chmod a+x to the motd but it all it does is spit out the text verbatim without parsing any of it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

You probably want to set up a cron job or use pam_motd.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

This is actually a bsd question but I think it might be general enough to work here. I'm trying to install xorg on freebsd using ports and near the end of the install process I hit scroll lock, freezing the screen. I hit it again and it sent me to the login prompt. I don't know if scroll lock did anything, but the xorg command is not found and I'm not sure if it installed properly. I tried installing another program from ports and nothing strange happened during install and it doesn't seem to work either. If I try ps it lists the make install clean command as idle. The ports tree file for

As you can probably tell I decided to start loving around in BSD and Linux for fun, so feel free to laugh at me, but please help. How am I supposed to start X?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2798970 :)

Scroll lock lets you scroll around the terminal to read what has scrolled past the terminal's view. I'd say you switched consoles, so press alt + f1/f2/f3/... until you find the terminal that was in use. If you are using csh, you might have to type rehash before startx. Also it's worth noting that the default .xinitrc will start twm with xclock and xterm, so make sure you are going to build at least twm if you are going to test xorg without installing a wm (you should have configured this in the xorg-apps dialog while installing xorg).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm looking to brush up on Linux as a side fun project and need to know where to start. I've used Ubuntu in the past but I'd like to really understand it rather than just get my hand held through the whole process of using the software. Is Gentoo a good starting spot? It'll be a VM so no real hassle of losing anything.

To learn what about linux exactly? You can spend hours installing a Gentoo system and not learn much beyond how to read their documentation. If you want to learn about large linux-targeted software packages like a webserver, it's a much better idea to use an OS that you will be comfortable with, and won't have to work around. However, if you really want to compile stuff, there's also LFS.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

revmoo posted:

Ok this is a bigger challenge than I thought it would be; what's a good backup provider that supports rsync/scp and can give me 5-10 gigs of storage cheap? I want daily sync but hopefully will never need the data back. I will also be mirroring my backups on a colo server but I want to multihome my backups.

Tarsnap might be close, if you can deal with their weird client requirements.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

alnilam posted:

I searched around and found most of my answers to this, but I want to run it by y'all and see if I'm understanding right.
I'm not a new ubuntu user, I'm okay at messing around in terminals, but I'm far from an advanced user.
Also, I don't plan to store a ton of stuff on it, just use it for browsing, messing around, etc. So I'm using an 8 GB stick, which is apparently common enough these days as to be free swag from conferences :confused:
I appreciate any help, thanks guys!

1. I want to run Ubuntu from a flash drive, persistently. Like, not as a "trial run," but with a persistent user, home folder, etc.
Are these the correct instructions for that?

2. In case I lose the USB drive, I want to run an encrypted home directory. Looks like this is natively supported nowadays. Not a question, just saying.

3. I don't plan to store sensitive stuff on it, but I want to encrypt so people can't get at e.g. my browser cache (cookied sites, etc.) if I lose it. Is an encrypted home directory the proper way to guard such things? In other words, does the browser store its cookies/cache in the home directory, or do I have other places I need to worry about?

4. I know it's a long shot, but someone once showed me Tails :tinfoil: and how it wipes the host computer's RAM when you remove it so people can't jump on the computer and access your stuff. I thought that was pretty cool. Is this a legit concern for someone running flash-drive-ubuntu, or is Tails just being overkill?

Just copying the install media to a disk won't work, and it comes with cruft you don't need (wubi installer, ect). You might have to do something awkward, e.g, follow those instructions to get ubuntu boot media, then boot and install ubuntu to your target flash drive. However if your computer supports virtualization (intel|amd) then you can install virtualbox with the extension pack and boot a Ubuntu ISO and install it to the memory stick. I believe that home directory encryption is supported directly in the ubuntu installer.

As for browsers, Chromium stores its configuration files in the .config/chromium directory in the user's home directory.

If someone removed the flash drive I'd imagine it will just crash the computer, although I guess anything is possible, just not likely.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

keyvin posted:

I just performed my first kernel hack. It was really simple, I just disabled a check on a line on the soundcard so that alsa always thinks the line is high. I was surprised that I was able to read and understand what the code in the driver did. For some reason I thought there would be tons of inline assembly or whatever. Which actually isn't as bad now that the memory is no longer segmented... It was just plain old C code. Is there a recommended book to get started hacking on the kernel? The thought of diving into a 120MB code base seems daunting. I guess the end result I am aiming for is to be able to write a simple device driver.

There's a massive amount of stuff at http://kernelnewbies.org/ . For example, Linux Device Drivers, Third Edition

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pliable posted:

I'd like to hear about y'alls experience between Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10. I ask because my graphics drivers did some wacky poo poo after rebooting for the first time (as in, didn't have itself enabled at all). Took me a while to fix it, but now it has me wondering on the overall stability...is 12.10 generally less stable than 12.04? Should I downgrade? I want stability over anything, so. Thanks for any and all advice :)

Which graphics card? Which driver? lshw -c video|grep driver and then pass the driver string ("nouveau" in my case) to modinfo: modinfo nouveau

Personally I used 12.10 when it was in beta and now 13.04 and I've never had an actual graphics card driver issue.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Third Man posted:

This might be a stupid question, but I just found a book called UNIX Shells by Ellie Quigley from 1999 in my house, is there any value in reading this, or is the information so out of date as to be useless?

The information might be relevant, but do you use all of the shells the book covers? You might as well read the online documentation for the one shell you use.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Third Man posted:

ahh, ok, thanks man. Is there a way to omit this and just get the PID?

The shell output should be extraneous to your script. Try piping the command to a file and reading that back.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Third Man posted:

This is actually the first script I've ever really written, can you explain what that means?

If you run "top&>out.txt&" you should get the "[1]$PID" line and then a new command prompt, then "fg" will resume the process, and you can press q to quit out of top and write the file to disk. Then "head out.txt" will report the first few lines of what "top" reported, which shouldn't include the "[1]$PID" line that the shell reported.

So to go back to your original post, you should already be getting what you want, and maybe you are using "&" when you should be using "&&"?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Studebaker Hawk posted:

1. is there a more elegant (i'm sure) way to do this?

I would use getopt to parse command line arguments, which avoids the need for a magic number and order of arguments.

Also, check the return value of operations. The man page for apt-get says 0 is the result of a normal operation, and 100 is an error.

And finally, you can probably use adduser instead of useradd.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Roving Reporter posted:

A quick partitioning question for Ubuntu Server 12.04. I have 2x120GB SSDsn and 2x2TB SATA drives.

I'm looking to go with RAID 0 for both, with the OS on the SATA drives and the SSDs as a separate partition. (I know RAID 0 is suicide, the files can be lost if the server dies)

Do you really need 240GB of space in raid 0 for the OS? Why don't you figure out a sensible partitioning scheme and use that instead of resorting to using raid 0? e.g, /usr on one SSD and / on the other? ect...

Roving Reporter posted:

True. I'm trying to take advantage of a 1Gbit pipe, since the platter drives won't max it out for ISO uploading.

Are you sure? Even my old 1.5tb drives do ~120MB/s, which is right around the limits of gigabit ethernet.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

caberham posted:

One thing I'm not sure is how to link the file ZFS file system with the OS?

https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/+archive/stable scroll down to the big "Adding this PPA to your system" section and do that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

razorrozar posted:

I'm starting to get the hang of Linux, I think. I haven't caused a major virtual catastrophe yet, anyway. I've been wondering something, though. What exactly does "sudo" mean, and what does it do? Why do certain commands work with sudo, but not on their own?

There's a million things that people think "sudo" represents ("su do" where su means any number of things), but sudo will execute the command that follows it as another user (the superuser by default), and programs that require privilege escalation will usually tell you that and quit without actually doing anything. Think of installing a program on Windows or deleting someone else's user directory. And, as always, you can type "man sudo" into a terminal prompt to get probably everything you want to know about how to use it.

Hadlock posted:

What is the oldest actively supported version of Linux? RHEL is v5, 2007, Ubuntu is v10.04, 2010. Looking at other Unix variants like OpenBSD, FreeBSD only have about 18 months of support.

You are conflating point releases with major versions. FreeBSD 7 was released in 2008 and was EOLed in February.

hifi fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 13, 2013

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

razorrozar posted:

Thanks for the answers to my last question; the article especially was very informative about su and sudo. Can anyone recommend an Ubuntu torrent client that I can apt-get? Somehow, the terminal and apt-get seem much easier than the software center, even though the latter has a GUI.

Either deluge or qbittorrent should be fine, they are similar to vuze/utorrent.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Is there a way I could make a short telnet script that would automatically do a password reset for me? This is what I have...

code:
$oldpass = passold
$newpass = passnew
$username = user

(open 192.168.1.2
sleep 2
echo $username
sleep 2
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo passwd
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo $newpass
sleep 2 
echo $newpass
sleep 2
echo exit)|telnet

(open 192.168.1.3
sleep 2
echo $username
sleep 2
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo passwd
echo $oldpass
sleep 2
echo $newpass
sleep 2 
echo $newpass
sleep 2
echo exit)|telnet
This will be repeated on about about a dozen IP Addresses and telnet (or rlogin?) is the only protocol I'm able to use. It fail when it switches to the next switch, which I can't figure out. Thoughts?

I don't know why it's failing but this is something that should be done in expect.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I know you already said you figured this out, but if you like emacs there's probably 5-10 different journaling setups for it. Off the top of my head org-mode sort of fits into the journaling pattern, and it looks like someone did the extra work to make it fit in better. And as always, emacswiki has a giant repo of stuff that may or may not be useful. It looks like the point of about half of the things on there are for integrating with something else though (e.g, blosxom, a simple blog that reads from flat files, which is also tangentially interesting to your original problem.)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I installed CentOS to play around with and I'm having a hell of a hard time wrapping my head around iptables. Like it just makes no sense. See for example:

On Ubuntu with ufw:
code:
ufw allow 80
vs

First hit when I google "ufw allow 80 iptables":
code:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
What the gently caress. How does any of that make sense? I guess it doesn't help that I don't know anything about networking except how to connect my computer to my (W)LAN and I know that port 80 is used for http, 22 is for ssh, and so on. Is there a tutorial for dummies out there somewhere?

The man page is the best reference for "what does this command do" type of questions.

e.g:

code:
       -A, --append chain rule-specification
              Append one or more rules to the end of the selected chain.  When the source  and/or  destination  names
              resolve to more than one address, a rule will be added for each possible address combination.

[!] -p, --protocol protocol
              The protocol of the rule or of the packet to check.  The specified protocol can be  one  of  tcp,  udp,
              udplite,  icmp,  esp, ah, sctp or the special keyword "all", or it can be a numeric value, representing
              one of these protocols or a different one.  A protocol name from /etc/protocols is also allowed.  A "!"
              argument  before the protocol inverts the test.  The number zero is equivalent to all. "all" will match
              with all protocols and is taken as default when this option is omitted.

[!] --destination-ports,--dports port[,port|,port:port]...
              Match if the destination port is one of the given ports.  The flag --dports is a convenient  alias  for
              this option.

-j, --jump target
              This specifies the target of the rule; i.e., what to do if the packet matches it.  The target can be  a
              user-defined  chain  (other  than  the  one  this rule is in), one of the special builtin targets which
              decide the fate of the packet immediately, or an extension (see EXTENSIONS below).  If this  option  is
              omitted  in  a  rule  (and  -g is not used), then matching the rule will have no effect on the packet's
              fate, but the counters on the rule will be incremented.
Here's a pretty brief introduction to iptables from the centos wiki, which explains the predefined chains used and gives some examples.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

evol262 posted:

If one of your packages requires a kernel driver (Oracle RAC, Clearcase, VirtualBox whatever) or links directly against libraries which come with X.org (because they apparently update that as well) that's not part of the mainline kernel, it will probably break, which seems really intolerable for an LTS distro, but :ubuntu: This is why people use RHEL/CentOS/whatever in production -- kernel ABI for 10 years.

Packages of that sort within Ubuntu usually rely on DKMS to rebuild modules.

DreadCthulhu posted:

What does that mean for the existing packages on the system? Is it assumed that most will work without need for changes and some will get an upgrade if apt detects one?

If it's something from a third-party repo you might be out of luck.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

What's a good ssh/rdp connection manager thing? I'd like something with tabs. I use Gnome 3.

I've tried Remmina which had a few quirks (can't copy from SSH sessions, menu floats in a different window) and Vinagre (can't copy from SSH, can't work out how to change size of terminal buffer, RDP sessions close instantly)

Seriously what is with these programs copy/paste is really important. Anything better? I think I literally just want a list of bookmarked servers and sessions in tabs.

This is ssh-only but you can use gnome-terminal for tabs, add hosts in ~/.ssh/config and then set up your shell to tab-complete with data from the config and known_hosts files.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

On Ubuntu what's a good way to work with commands that have tab-completion, but the system needs elevated privleges to get the info for the tab completion?

Specifically, zfs' zpool commands can tab-complete device names, but if you try doing something like:

pre:
sudo zpool clear tank1 name_of_de
and then hit tab to complete the name of the device, you end up with a command line that looks like:

pre:
sudo zpool clear tank1 name_of_deUnable to open /dev/zfs: Permission denied.

Copy whatever completer gets used to your local config file and then prepend a sudo to it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Welp, I finally switched to xmonad from Unity on 13.10. It's certainly a different experience, but I can get used to it. Sucks not to have the basic niceties like a status bar, the sound card picker / volume bars or the various status bar indicators like Dropbox and Skype. Not sure what people do about those.

You use something like dzen. Are you tied to xmonad though? I'd probably recommend awesome over any other tiling wm for new users, and it does most of what you are expecting (some of the unity stuff gets replaced by something else, but most status bar indicators just work)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but its SteamOS related. Just wondering if a RT kernel would be better suited to a gaming console like the Steamboxes and if it would be 'easy' to configure the OS with an RT kernel.

No, there's no point. The easiest way is probably to add the debian repo and add the rt kernel from there.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Xik posted:

If rolling release, pacman and AUR are requirements you're not leaving much room for alternatives :).

Minimal: Almost every major distro can pull this off (even Ubuntu last I checked). I've recently learned they pretty all have curses based installers to leave you at the same place.

Rolling Release: I think you're pretty much boned if you are looking for a full rolling distro, unless you want to try Gentoo I guess? I haven't actually done a standard distro upgrade in a long time. The server that I run Debian on has hardware failures more often then Debian is updated so I just install the latest version when that happens. I can't imagine modern distro upgrades are any more of a hassle then when Arch decides to implement some major system breaking change though.

Pacman: Have you played with Yum before? I recently had a play, it's quite nice. The output is probably the best out of all the package managers in my opinion. I don't think you'll find another distro which isn't based on Arch that has adopted Pacman.

AUR: I have no idea, if you find something similar let me know. I actually like the AUR, but I manually check the pkgfiles, URLs and any other scripts before I build any package. I think using the AUR behind a non-interactive script or package manager like it's just another official repository is really dumb.

This is probably a dumb question, but does what you do over VNC actually require a GUI? Perhaps what ever you are doing has a cli interface that you can control via ssh?

What does a requirement of AUR entail? There's a whole bunch of rpmfusion type sites that have stuff not included in the RHEL/Fedora repositories.

Fedora's "rolling release" version is Rawhide, but like you said it's probably a bad idea to use one when large sweeping changes hit the distribution fairly regularly with little user benefit.

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I try to stick to the CLI, but sometimes I need to connect to the machine and use Eclipse/IntelliJ or other development stuff.

I was secretly hoping I could start using a cheap Chromebook as a nice $200 web browser and occasional connect to other machine and get stuff done device.

I use emacs to edit files remotely, and it looks like eclipse can do the same thing. Maybe you could set up samba/nfs on your computer also?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I've never read a Red Hat guide on anything because I've never touched anything Red Hat derived. I just restarted Apache on an Ubuntu 12.04 Server with /etc/init.d/apache2 restart and it restarted apache, and the screen output was the same as doing service apache2 restart (with the exception of spitting out a PID at the end).

I also just looked and I could have sworn I wasn't able able to use service to restart postgresql, but I guess I can. But I'll reiterate, I've literally never seen this until right now, every guide on doing anything ever says to use /etc/init.d/blah.

Well now you know better.

To contribute, there's a README file in /etc/init.d (and /var/log for that matter) that tells you what you should be using on f20, so I assume it's going to be there on rhel7.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

systemd also got support for managing your graphical user session, because hey, a graphical user session is just a bunch of programs running as your user, right?

Is this about the graphical target? Google didn't help.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I have a fedora 20 computer that is controlled via synergy, with a keyboard hidden away for bios/emergency management. My problem is that gdm recognizes that there's no mouse and hides the mouse cursor. What should I be looking for to tell gdm to show the cursor?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Heartbleed.com says OpenSSL 1.0.1 through 1.0.1f (inclusive) are vulnerable.

CentOS's OpenSSL is still vulnerable:
openssl.x86_64 0:1.0.1e-16.el6_5.7

Any idea when an update might be made available?

Looks like as soon as your repository updates: http://lwn.net/Articles/593841/

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

evol262 posted:

What? CentOS/RHEL6 were absolutely vulnerable (on 6.5, but not earlier versions).

The heartbleed.com site says openssl versions up to 1.01.f were vulnerable, and the patched version is 1.01.e.X

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

nescience posted:

Does Ubuntu patch main packages more quickly/frequently than Debian? Or are they about the same?

For new software versions or strictly security updates? Security updates are reasonably quick for both distributions, but new versions can be glacially slow on debian (stable versions of debian specifically)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Experto Crede posted:

I'm trying to setup ghost which is being proxied by nginx and using mysql for its data.

Nginx and mysql are both running fine, but node.js doesn't want to start, so I get a 502 error in my browser. It keeps complaining that my config.js is missing the correct values.

The error when I try to run npm start is this:

code:

> ghost@0.4.2 start /var/www
> node index

/var/www/config.js:16
});
 ^

ERROR: Cannot find the configuration for the current NODE_ENV 
 NODE_ENV=production 
 Ensure your config.js has a section for the current NODE_ENV value and is formatted properly. 
 Error: Cannot find the configuration for the current NODE_ENV
    at validateConfigEnvironment (/var/www/core/bootstrap.js:70:25)
    at NearFulfilledProxy.when (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:501:43)
    at Promise._message (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:426:25)
    at Array.deliver [as 0] (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:319:7)
    at runHandlers (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:385:12)
    at Array.2 (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:352:5)
    at runHandlers (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:385:12)
    at drainQueue (/var/www/node_modules/when/when.js:836:3)
    at process._tickCallback (node.js:419:13) 
My config file is as follows:

code:
config = {
production: {
    url: 'http://foo.com',

database: {
            client: 'mysql',
            connection: {
                    host: 'localhost',
                    user: 'ghost',
                    password: 'xxxxxx',
                    database: 'ghost',
                    charset: 'utf8'
            }
}
Any idea what I'm missing/doing wrong?

add "module.exports = config;" at the end of the file

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I am having one hell of a time figuring out why netatalk (afpd) is not working on a Fedora 20 machine.

code:
[root@helium ~]# systemctl status  selinux.service
selinux.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

[root@helium ~]# systemctl status iptables
iptables.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)
So I've got iptables off, selinux off

You should be checking for those with "getenforce" and "iptables -L" (the latter command as root). If iptables shows something then it's probably getting fed by firewalld, the default fedora firewall. You can disable it through systemctl or easily add a rule to it with "firewall-cmd --add-port XXX (and add --permanent to make the rule permanent). nmap is also probably really useful in this situation (use from both ends of the connection).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

pipebomb posted:

Oh man, i am out of practice badly.

I am waiting for someone to change name servers at godaddy, which they probably won't do until Monday. But I need to verify that the site is working properly on my end. How do I get the site to show using http://server ?

Just the directive is fine, I can google the rest, but I'm tired and stuck...

With the hosts file (man hosts should tell you everything you want)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

xtal posted:

I'd be okay without Linux, but I guess I am in the Linux thread!

Maybe try Linux From Scratch or invent your own Linux

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

My media server is running ubuntu desktop and everything's great except that if I turn the monitor off for an extended period, when I turn the monitor back on I just get a blank screen and moving the mouse and mashing keys won't bring back the login screen (but the monitor light is green, where it'd be flashing yellow if it was unplugged or something). Any ideas how I can get the desktop back via SSH without rebooting?

You can use "sudo service lightdm restart" (if you use something other than the default unity desktop then you have to figure out which display manager you are using and restart that service instead) but this isn't a suitable alternative to fixing the underlying problem.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Experto Crede posted:

In the Ubuntu thread OP it says that mint has been breaking things compared to Ubuntu recently. Can someone explain what that means exactly? As far as I can tell mint is just still Ubuntu with extra repos and a different default DE.

Thought I'd ask here as it's not strictly Ubuntu related.

Right here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653412&userid=11127#post432738002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

How do I get "systemctl -P xxx" to try to authenticate me over ssh? I have a (fedora 20) desktop where it works in a terminal session in X, but sshing into it and trying the same thing doesn't work.

Also, is "systemctl -P -H host xxx" supposed to work like I want it to?