Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone know why my system crashes when the inactivity screen blanking occurs? At first I just thought it was my screen locking, but then I noticed whatever I had open would be closed on relogin, and any downloads I had going wouldn’t be completed

Edit: currently running gnome bazzite on an i7-7700k with a 3080ti ftw3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you haven't updated in a week or so, there was a kernel bug recently that impacted Fedora and Fedora derivatives like Bazzite to cause them to crash on sleep/boot sometimes.

It seems to be fixed for me on the current version, though at least one person is claiming it's still an issue.
https://github.com/ublue-os/bazzite/issues/960

If you poke around the github issues there seem to be a few other issues that may be related and have the same root cause.

Aha! Thanks! As it happens, the bug appears to be alive in bazzite-gnome but not bazzite-kde, just based on me reinstalling to make sure it wasn’t a user error somehow lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Another kind of dumb Bazzite/atomic desktop question:

I figured out that kde global themes were failing to install because it’s an image and the sddm folder is read only. I then read that sddm2rpm resolves the issue, but when I use dnf it throws a warning that seems kinda spooky. Is building stuff with cmake common for linux tools and apps? I mostly remember tarballs executing install scripts and assumed it’d be moving to apps more like flatpaks.

I just generally can’t wrap my head around some of the limitations and decisions. It’s definitely kept me from doing something dumb while fuckin around with kde and various tweaks and things I was doing, but it was real annoying when I hit speed bumps like this. It’s strange that they didn’t do something for it at least similar to when you don’t have root on macOS you’ll have a user level Apps folder that the App Store downloads to and has whatever pre installed root level apps

Also I’m starting to suspect that the crash issue I was having on Bazzite gnome may have been an issue with the Rufus boot stick I used, because I’ve installed Bazzite kde twice now after burning with Fedora media writer and both are stable as can be. Rufus kept throwing errors and having to do weird settings to get it to write correctly

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok yeah so I am gonna quick fuckin around with it and go back to gnome lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

or just use the default theme whose behavior is tested before it's packaged

I was fuckin around with it since I wanted something closer to macOS haha. Bazzite 3.0 just came out so I’ll play with Plasma 6 for a little bit then probably reinstall to gnome

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Another handful of questions for u fine folks:

Does anyone have experience with the unofficial discord clients? I know you can get banned using them, but the window flickers constantly, typing has a 500ms delay, and video streaming doesn’t work.

Also plasma 6 looks a lot nicer than the previous iteration, but I think I’m done loving around with KDE and going back to gnome to pray that the sleep crash is fixed. Can I shove my steam library onto my NAS while it reinstalls, then just move them back to the correct folder? Or do the games care which DE you’re using or something

Last one: I’m on Bazzite and the docs say to run a ujust command to register with secure boot, but running the command tells me the mobo doesn’t support it. Is secure boot necessary or advised for linux, and is there a way to manually add the signed key from BIOS/UEFI? Also, should I unplug the windows drive while doing this?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

drat, looks like it’s eol

https://github.com/flathub/io.github.spacingbat3.webcord/commit/5440663a30bf500c0f9ec3149a4f298cf085d672

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It’s so weird since the Win10 disk is secure boot, and it says that SB is turned on on the mobo, but Bazzite says it doesn’t fly. This computer is going to be an Ubuntu server next month when I order parts for a new gaming rig, so I’m assuming the new mobo will support it and then I can figure it out without being worried of accidentally’ing the windows disk

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

If you can get away without using Secure Boot it makes life with linux a shitton easier. The security advantages for a home user are not a huge deal. My take in another thread recently:

Yes. It's gonna be a bit different for every mobo maker's bios, but adding a custom key is a standard feature. This random webpage has the best step-by-step that I can easily see, but it'll likely be a bit different if you don't have an Asrock mobo.

I have no idea where bazzite puts the relevant cert, pk, and db files.

Makes zero difference. Secure boot is on the BIOS, adding a key won't touch the drive.

(Also turning off secure boot won't really affect windows. Even if you're using 11 secure boot is just required for install, not operation. The only thing that will be totally broken is riot's anti-cheat.)

Ah great! Thanks for the explanation.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

The other morning I was feeling crappy because I went to sleep very dehydrated. So I sat down and learned enough QML to make a thing!

Gonna put it on the KDE Store as soon as I figure out the system to upload stuff. I promise it won't rm-rf your system.

Woah, this looks a lot like the Kotlin compose stuff I do all day. I might need to check this out lol

Nice work!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Imma boutta blow the socks off these n00bs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is there a screen saver extension for gnome you guys like? I remembered that screen blanking on the windows install never worked and I had to use a screen saver since windows simply didn’t turn the screens off, which makes me think it’s my motherboard and not gnome. It’s odd that KDE didn’t have this problem for me, though, so maybe it’s not

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah they basically have since it keeps the screen life up longer. Ugh I really didn’t like KDE compared to gnome, but it’s just such an annoying issue. It kills my dongle for my mouse too so I have to reach back there and unplug/replug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You guys are really starting to sell me on podman over docker for my fast-approaching server build