Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm brainfarting how to do this, I have a USB headset that weirdly gets recognized as an sr0 CD-ROM device as well the USB device; how do I block this in udev from being loaded as a the cdrom?

Alternative solution: Have you tried using a CD burner software and writing a music CD into it? Maybe it will start playing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've been using Bottles recently, and it's... shockingly good.

I had previously used a Windows VM to run some old applications and encountered some that didn't work. On a whim I decided to chuck it at a bottles container and... it just worked. No issues, no additional runtime dependencies needed, no command line arguments. It just ran like I was installing them on Windows XP.

Honestly, maybe Linux is now the better Wiindows box than Windows is?

I need to try that. Looks great.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

Only fat32 and exfat are totally friendly between both systems. Fat isn't great.

Linux can see NTFS fine but running steam games off in linux a NTFS partition is not recommended.

ExFAT is very unreliable. I actually lost a bunch of stuff because I wanted to have an easy shared drive between systems. It's designed for USB stick use and sucks. I ended up getting a NAS box for my long term storage stuff.

There's no perfect file system to have visible on all OSes. At the time I had a triple boot Win+Linux+Hackintosh system, which added to the challenge. NAS is often the best option unless you actually need the speed of an internal drive.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Running modern PC games off a NAS sounds like a loading time/stuttering nightmare or else an amazing LAN architecture.

Works great for emulation ROMs though.

I read the past posts badly and missed the game part. Games definitely need a local drive. Even so SSDs are so cheap that it's probably smarter to store games for every OS separately.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

We joke a lot about Linux and other Unixes being an unusable mess, but I just had a sublime moment of desktop usability. My phone rang and KDE automatically paused the music on my desktop so I could take the call. That's the desktop automation I want, not some "AI assistant" to tell me the weather like I'm illiterate.

Linux - Get the Apple experience of 2010 today!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Folding@home is still active! Been folding to keep my pipes in the basement from freezing lately

And before F@H was SETI@Home. Folding was a lot more sensible project but I loved the idea of finding aliens on my computer.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

I mean, its linux. I fully expect wayland to be abandoned any day now and replaced with something else that leaves us using X11 for another decade

Wayland will be replaced with Waylon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I remember in maybe 97/98 when I installed my first Linux, Enlightenment WM was recently released. It was easy to customize to look like a Winamp skin and years later when I played Eve Online the UI reminded me of Enlightenment. I don't remember how good or bad it was, but at that time it was one of the only WMs that paid any attention to visuals.

It was the hottest poo poo for a teenager like me.