Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I really like what KDE is trying to accomplish, but nearly 10 years ago I went about configuring e17 to my tastes (took almost an hour!) and haven't liked anything else so much since, so I still use that :shrug:

I think I'm old :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Crack posted:

E:also at the end it said "tar: /: file changed as we read it" does this mean everything backed up successfully apart from the changes or did it stop when it ran into something changing?

tar almost never stops on errors. Instead, it finishes what it was told to do, then exits with an error if there were errors on the way.

e: I think if you set the exact same password and then just move the homedir over, and set homedir to be encrypted on the new thing, it should just work.

Check ecryptfs-utils or somesuch on debian.

vvvv: This guy is right though.

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 21, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
^ Devops is the worst

:negative:

Bhodi posted:

Ubuntu server is pretty popular for the companies that want a "minimal" image that they then stick stuff on and spawn a million copies, especially if they're rolling their own bleeding-edged version of apache or doing a lot of computer janitor OS stuff. It's got a really good .pkg format and a small install footprint with less "bloat" which makes it ideal for virtualiztion/cloud stuff where even small size increases to the baseline image is undesirable.

This is me, but I use Debian because it works.

I have ubuntu on my own VPS and my laptop and it's really good for that, but I don't feel like it'd do well in a production environment (yet?), because sometimes things still break on apt-get upgrade, requiring minor tweaking.

Not something I can afford in a production environment with yearly 99.99 SLA, and I haven't had any issues with debian in >6 years now, as opposed to maybe a year with ubuntu.

And yeah, having a 200 meg snapshot ready to be spun up, updated, and running on digital ocean in <60 seconds is awesome.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Devops is how sysadmins are going to get any cash unless you work for a large service provider like microsoft/amazon/google, because everyone else will just use google apps/o365/whatever amazon is coming up with in the future.

Dunno when, but it'll happen :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

Linux sysadmins have always been expected to know how to code and do development a bit. The "add DNS record, add vhost, monitor email" janitor work moved to operations a long time ago. The revolution was 3-4 years ago. Sysadmins still get paid well.

Sorry, I was mostly joking with that post. I thought the :v: would give it away. Sysadmins aren't going away for a couple very good reasons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What is the reason you can't set up authorized_keys? I think if it's disabled on the server, you're just out of luck.

You can use sshpass to specify a password on the command line, but I wouldn't call that secure...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

HTML5 DRM is really close to working

Am I the only one giggling uncontrollably at this? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Arch is bad the Arch community is bad but their wiki is a good resource for people who know what they're doing and not for people who want to blindly type in commands to fix whatever their issue is.

Arch wiki is to me now what Gentoo wiki used to be. A really good resource for obscure problems you'll never face on real distros, but when something breaks, at least some idiot on Arch wrote something about it so you can fix it in 5 minutes instead of taking an hour.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Gentoo's wiki? I haven't seen it in my google results for a while now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Never not LUKS.

(my 5 year old vaio with its ancient SSD is encrypted, I have zero issues)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because linux users are either scripts or hackers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Spamassassin works passably for me at work, but the thing that really cut the vast majority of spam we got was postgrey.

Just remember to set the retry time to something short so you don't have to wait 5 minutes to reset a password or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

program666 posted:

You're saying it's harder to use a passthrought with nvidia cards, even if all the hardware supports it, because they keep breaking the support on their drivers?

They don't "keep breaking" support, they willingly disable the GPU for this use case.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On the win10 bootloader talk from earlier: I had issues updating a box at work to windows 10, and again to windows 10 anniversary edition, both times because the default bootloader was grub. It'd just fail with a random generic garbage error code (thanks, random post on a random forum on page 20 of google results, for the hint). I had to nuke grub with fixmbr or bootrec or what it's called now both times, before it updated successfully.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Fedora KDE spin.

I'm using it right now, works well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Eh, yeah. I always assume people are installing fresh or something. If you have it already installed, just use your distro. It's kubuntu-desktop in ubuntu, @kde-desktop-environment in fedora, and in suse it's default as pointed out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a dhcp server lunix would probably run on like 16mb, but most distros use a ramfs to load some initial kernel modules so you need enough to fit that, plus whatever you want to actually run.

on ubuntu you can set MODULES=dep (default is MODULES=most) in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and it should shrink initramfs size by quite a bit. 64 megs should definitely be more than enough for such a vm.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I think LibreOffice is a pretty good model for WYSIWYG, apart from not being Emacs.

:allears:

:rms2: owns

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
--prefix=/random/dir

and yeah, they're probably symlinks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Intel, after being on top of their game for many years, to the point that their gpu drivers were often better on linux than on windows, has completely dropped the ball on skylake HD5xx igpus, and they're poo poo on linux.

I haven't had to deal with it myself yet, but someone I know has and you're in for a ride. It's supposedly better on the latest kernels, which probably aren't going to be in stable debian for another 2-3 years. I hope your friend enjoys using backports.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

peepsalot posted:

Whats the best/easiest screen record to gif program for linux?

https://github.com/sconts/kazam

This one can record videos (which you should use over gifs in tyool 2017), but it hasn't been updated to work with wayland yet so if you're on fedora 25 :rip:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
/usr/local is used to store non-distribution-supplied poo poo these days. yum/apt extract poo poo to /usr, make install copies poo poo to /usr/local by default in 99% cases

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tigren posted:

What part of your work flow do you have trouble with in Gnome 3?

There appears to be no way to set a keyboard model or at least custom xkb options in gnome 3. In KDE I set my keyboard model to chomebook and everything on my chomebook works mostly as you'd expect these days. In gnome, the only way to do that I could find was through a terminal, and the settings are lost every time I switch layout languages (and I switch often).

Just this pretty much prevents me from using it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BoyBlunder posted:

What gives? I thought flash was dead and I didn't need to install it?
Works for me, but here's a workaround:

Open the link in mpv. You might need to have youtube-dl installed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd just really like something good, and systemd can sometimes be very short of that simple benchmark. It definitely has its problems.

That doesn't mean I won't use it until something better comes along though, because while it's a pile of poo poo at times, it also isn't a literal mountain of poo poo like the poo poo it replaced so :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hello, friend. Welcome to post-xmodmap hell, I hope you enjoy your stay. :rip:

You're probably going to have to modify some xkb files to get this to work consistently. And then modify them again every time there's an update to those files. I can check out how to do this easily tomorrow, since I have some scripts for similar stuff on my work laptop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

Did you have time to look into this?

poo poo sorry, forgot all about this. What you want to do should be pretty simple. Basically, you want to run setxkbmap -print.

You'll want to look at the symbols line, that'll tell you what file to edit, it should look something like pc+us+inet(evdev)+blablabla on most distros. Open the first file (in fedora's case it's called "pc"), scroll down to <PGUP> and <PGDN> and swap em out. That should make it work. If it's not present in the first file, look in the second, and so on.

Ubuntu also used to have xkb cache in /var/lib/xkb/, dunno if this is still a thing (I haven't used ubuntu in a couple years now) so check it out and delete everything in there if it exists. Then do anything to your keyboard settings (change layout, set an option, lock screen/relog/reboot, whatever) and it should be working. It'll work until the next time those files get updated by the system.

Obviously this isn't ideal, ideally you'd want a permanent solution, but setting up literally anything with a custom xkb setup never works, because xkb keeps resetting to default settings every time your computer sleeps, locks, you change a layout, and also at random time intervals, so you need to change the system files, rather than just keep a small file in your homedir or /etc/ or whatever. No, I do not know why. XKB keeps getting worse with time.

I dunno what was wrong with xmodmap, but poo poo's hosed as far as non-standard keyboards or keyboard layouts go on linux right now, and it really sucks. Yes, xmodmap is crude, but it actually loving works.

minato posted:

Comedy answer: just monkey patch the kernel to tweak your keys, like this guy:
https://blog.cloudflare.com/how-to-monkey-patch-the-linux-kernel/
I have a chomebook laptop and the amount of poo poo xkb gave me to get all the keys I wanted, I'd likely be better off just doing that. Making a custom shift state that works correctly in xkb is a gigantic loving pain in the rear end.

Truga fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 29, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
kdenlive works well and is probably better than any video editor that doesn't cost whatever adobe charges for theirs.

i know, not saying much, but it's something at least

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
KDE is basically the windows experience with added virtual desktops, except if you go into settings you can change every single setting ever, there's like 5 billion of them, to make the window management behaviour suit your workflow.

Gnome is the gnome experience, and you either like it or don't, and there's really not much you can do about it, especially in gnome 3.

If you never use any bundled apps, it super doesn't matter which you use, besides the window management part. If gnome's works for you stay with that.

That said, IMO gnome-terminal is the superior terminal app, and dolphin is the superior file manager app, so I use those regardless of which desktop environment I'm on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"when laptop lid closed" > do nothing
I'm sure every DE ever has a setting like that.

e: oh, bodhi is enlightenment. first, check power settings if the lid thing is there, then also hotkeys settings, there's an acpi category that has the lid thing.

Truga fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can chain any amount of ssh tunnels, and they'll work just fine.

i.e. ssh -L 12345:localhost:12345 gateway 'ssh -L 12345:anything:12345 server' will work just fine when you then connect to localhost:12345

Also, you can use ssh -A to forward your ssh agent to the gateway, though that does mean the person who has root on the gateway can use your agent while you're connected which can be problematic unless you have it set so it asks you to confirm every login attempt or trust said root person completely.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Are we at the point yet where keeping gentoo up to date requires a compilation cluster because a single machine can't handle it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In the early 00s I got talked by a classmate into trying gentoo and it took like 3 days to compile kde lmao

kde codebase back then was probably like 10000 times smaller than today, too

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

How many people here have ever compiled their own kernel? It’s a lost art now.

I've patched a kernel bug or two in the distant past, but it was before git even existed. Yes, I hated myself, but in my defense I was in high school.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
home come starttls didn't get tacked on for http like it did for other protocols anyway?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

VostokProgram posted:

I have been using kde on my work desktop for a couple months now and it absolutely grinds my gears that all konsole windows apparently run in the same process. If you kill one they all die. I might go back to xfce at this rate.

Just use gnome-terminal on kde, it's what everyone dies. I think that's why konsole is so poo poo, probably not even the developers use it :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Konsole has been kinda poo poo since about kde 4. The font rendering can get weird at times, as does scrollback, there's apparently now the problem Vostok just described...

Terminology uses EFL and is therefore bad. Even if it does work correctly by some insane twist of fate, there's probably a RCE somewhere in it.

I dunno, I just use gnome-terminal or terminator (tiling wrapper around the basic gnome terminal) and that works great and has for over 10 years now

e: to be fair last time I tried to use konsole was almost 2 years ago now so maybe they've fixed their poo poo. :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 8, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Volguus posted:

Just because they took forever to make it and just because it is more complicate than I'd like to develop in it (I tried) doesn't automatically entitle it to "therefore bad" title.
No, those don't which is why I never said those do.

This does, though: https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"du -h" makes it human readable as you noticed, "sort -h" sorts human readable

-d sets depth, i.e. -d 2 shows sizes of directories and subdirectories 2 levels in

e: oh. use -S if you want it to not recursively travel directories, -d only affects output

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 16, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tonberrytoby posted:

I am trying out Kubuntu in a virtual machine to find out if like the distro. I was trying to get Japanese language input to work on Kubuntu.

The default IM thing on linux has been ibus for a while now, any guide that tells you to install anything else is probably outdated. I'm on kde fedora and it works great.

You'll want the ibus package, ibus-anthy package for japanese support and ibus-qt package for qt support. there's an ibus-setup app on fedora that tells you what to do, I don't remember it being a thing on ubuntu, but it's been years since I've used that.
e: Right, I just ran ibus-setup and all it does it put up a popup that tells you to put
code:
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODOFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
into your .bashrc, and log in again. Then start ibus-daemon, you'll get the ibus icon in your tray and that's that. Right click on it to configure input methods and shortcuts.

RFC2324 posted:

its pretty new, so don't feel bad

I would have never expected them to update sort, but they did

Yeah I still have some legacy boxes around where it doesn't work and it sucks a lot when it happens :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, ibus is still as trashheap as always, so I'm tempted to try something new, but ibus also kinda just works so I don't see the reason to poke the nest until I reinstall. Didn't even know about mozc, last time I researched japanese input anthy was still called canna and I didn't change what worked. :v: I'll try it.

e: Ok fcitx is also apparently something newer e2: and definitely less wonky than ibus now, incredible

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 31, 2018