Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I checked the OP for this,

I heard you can make a bootable linux USB with persistent storage. that would be useful for me. is there a webpage i can use for a step by step on this? ive tried it a couple times and dont seem to have the right results

i'm trying to use ubuntu since im familiar with it but i guess if i was forced into something else that would be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

Phoronix's fs tests are typically hot garbage though.

I remember you could do this but it may have been deprecated because it was kind of hacky.

However, nothing stops you from just installing the OS on a USB drive. It would behave just like any other installation, though I'd use a more expensive drive for this since the flash chips in thumb drives are typically of much lower endurance.

So i kind of accidentally did this. I tried to load the OS from one PC to another using an NVME m2 to tb3 adapter. now i can move that external from system to system and it works like i want, but its too cumbersome for the application i need rn.

how tf did i do that///can i replicate it onto a flash drive?

did i just reboot and then select that drive / partition to install it on... and its that easy?

i assume more people cant/dont do that because hardware differences from install to install would cause issues? thankfully all the PCs in question are running 8th or 9th gen I7s with intel wifi, except one HP i have that also works just fine

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

is the thread title probably the answer to the dual boot question i was gonna ask?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

will a different partition suffice or do you mean physical drive?

in my case this is on an xps13 9360 so i only have one drive slot.

i may not bother with dual boot honestly since the likelihood of me ever using this thing for a game or whatever is approaching 0, in all reality

i guess i asked more as a safety blanket rather than because i need windows still- especially if theres a chance windows does some hostile takeover poo poo

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 4, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I guess this is probably why last time I did this on that computer I was using it off of a USB drive. I dont like that for regular use, even if it is very cute and convenient for other uses

On that topic, just in theory, if I partitioned the 1 drive i have on that laptop into 2, one with windows boot and the other was a data drive, the any OS on the USB could use that partition for data?

I would basically just be bound to whatever thermal and i/o speed limitations on the usb for the OS, aside from the nodule sticking out?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i'm glad that autoresolved

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I'm a noob so I apologize if this question is framed incorrectly or is partially founded on dumbness

One of the big reasons I was/am excited to be off of windows is I was hoping I would be able to use the s2 sleep state for the PC, which was stolen from me. I'm googling and it sounds like the str/s2ram or whatever is the same thing? I'm not exactly sure which I should be using right now since there seems to be some concepts and terminology I don't yet know.

Anyway, just looking to mimic that function I used to have in windows, do you ppl have some advice about what I should look for? Just want to go back to the days of my laptop suspending but not using a lot of battery.

also I cant seem to find a utility with GUI as good as throttlestop? any recs? if there isnt one with a GUI i would appreciate a recommendation on what I could read to accomplish the same thing. Ive done googling on this as well, which leads me to believe probably not. processor is an 8550u

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whats the best thing to put on a 12 inch touchscreen? its mainly gonna be a media device sort of thing. i just want something thats got tablet / touch screen use in mind

how does speech to text work? is it built in or w/e? i prefer to dictate my shitposts etc

Worf fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 2, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ubuntu works very poorly with screen autorotate on a tablet / detached 2 in 1

i went around to some forums etc but people's solutions didnt work so im probably gonna shelve the idea of using ubuntu on this for now and see if windows handles that well, until i can maybe find a distro that handles more of the basic functionality better

the hardware itself is really awesome for the price though, and the form factor is surprisingly useable as a tablet. (latitude 7210 2-1). maybe not for most people i guess but my hands are big enough to palm a basketball and i use my ipad mini in one hand like a phone lol

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ziasquinn posted:

It's gotta be a DE issue more than a Distro issue surely? Which DE were you using?

GNOME comes with it off the ubuntu website, I didn't change anything other than trying the troubleshooting steps I saw on multiple posts addressing the same issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i think it would be more efficient to get rid of wife?