Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Don't know if this is a Linux/Ubuntu issue in general, or a Firefox issue. In XP, whenever I hit the backspace key, it was mapped to "Back" in the browser. Now, using Firefox in Edgy, whenever I hit backspace all it does is scroll the page back up. Is there a way to make the backspace key act as "Back" again? I poked around in about:config but didn't see anything.

Whoop, nevermind. Just found it in about:config. Changed the "browser.backspace_action" value to 0.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 9, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

This isn't a question, but rather something neat you can do which I just learned of today...

Watch a(ny) movie file in real-time ASCII by using this command:

mplayer -vo aa video_file.xxx

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

This may be a stupid question, but would it be possible to install XP inside of Ubuntu via VMWare with a restore disk (that has XP on it), and not a plain XP disk?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

hedge77 posted:

It depends on whose restore disc it is, but for the most part they won't work since they're checking for specific bios strings and things like that that won't be in the VM. If it is one of those that reads a hidden HD partition then that definitely won't work. If it has some wacky graphical "restore your computer" thing then it probably won't work. If it boots to the text mode installer just like a normal XP disc does, it might work in a VM.

The good news is that your XP key probably will work with a 'plain' OEM CD, so you can just use one of those with your key. You will almost certainly have to call microsoft when it comes time to activate though, the internet way frequently doesn't work with a Dell/HP/etc key and a generic OEM disc.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the response. Another question I have that's sort of related...

I've got an older laptop (2002ish) which still runs fine, but its screen is busted. I have no use for the machine itself, so what I was wanting to do was utilize its harddrive (which has XP installed on it) in my current laptop (which is running Ubuntu). I'm not interested in dual-booting. My newer laptop has the ability to boot from a USB drive, so what I wanted to do was throw a fresh install of XP on the old laptop's harddrive, get one of those IDE-to-USB2 enclosures, and plug it in to my current laptop to boot whenever I needed/wanted to do something in XP.

I'm not sure if this is possible, though. I didn't know if the XP install on the other laptop would be necessarily tied to the hardware of the other machine (in functionality and license), to the point where I couldn't just all of the sudden boot into it with my newer laptop. Another thing I considered would be to use the restore disk for my newer laptop (which has XP on it), temporarily switch harddrives, install XP via the restore disk on the older hard drive in the newer laptop, switch the drives back out, and then put the older drive in the enclosure and have it boot as a USB drive. However, I'm not sure if doing that would screw up the boot record for Ubuntu, because I don't know if that is stored in the motherboard or on the harddrive.

So if that made any sense, is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? Have an external harddrive with XP which I can boot into whenever I want with a Ubuntu machine?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

mirror123 posted:

This might be a pretty specific question, but I've googled around with no results.

Has anyone gotten one of those PSX->USB controllers to work? I have one of those devices that can let you use two playstation controllers at the same time. Ubuntu Feisty gets the device at /dev/input/js0, js1 but doesn't detect any input.

Really just throwing it out there, but hopefully someone has tried setting one of these up.

This is totally unhelpful, but I got mine to work... sort of. In Edgy, I could get it to detect the controller automatically, but neither the analog sticks or the directional pad would work. When I upgraded to Feisty, everything automatically worked without my changing anything, except some programs will not recognize it, where others recognize everything on the controller perfectly. I remember there being quite a bit of info about this issue on the Ubuntu forums, so maybe there is something there that can help. Also, make sure the programs you use know to look at /dev/input/js0 or 1, and there are a couple calibration programs you can grab through Synaptic that may help.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Should I be concerned about this? Its size is what caught my eye, but I don't really know exactly what it is (it's in my home folder):

Also, I'm having some crashing problems in Feisty. 99% of the time it happens when using Firefox (if not 100% of the time), and it seems like it is worse when I have been running the machine for a longer period of time without shutting it down for a while. I never really had this happen in Edgy, although I only ran Edgy for about three months.

Basically, when it happens, my CPU usage goes to 100% and everything locks up. I can't do anything whatsoever, and the CPU fan is running really high. I have to do a hard reboot. I checked my system log in /var/log, and I have found that it is full - as in hundreds of entries - of these lines:

Jul 9 00:14:03 jared-toshiba kernel: [ 671.500000] APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
Jul 9 00:14:03 jared-toshiba kernel: [ 671.500000] APIC error on CPU1: 40(40)

Where the number in brackets progressively gets higher. This error keeps occurring, even to the point of while I am reading the log file, it will happen several times and inform me of the changes to the log and ask me if I want to refresh to see them. I honestly don't know if this error is related to my crashes, though, but I have a hunch because when I haven't noticed a crash in a while (several days), I can check the log and none of this will be in there.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 9, 2007

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

teapot posted:

You have a hardware problem -- it may be overheating, bad or overloaded power supply, electromagnetic noise, etc.

Well, I have found quite a few other people online who describe getting the same error (under many differing circumstances), and in some cases they claim it was fixed by updating their BIOS. I initially thought it would be a hardware issue, but since this machine has performed wonderfully while using XP for four and a half months, Edgy for another three - and the problem didn't start occurring until the Feisty upgrade, and it only happens when running Firefox - I sort of threw out the idea of it being hardware related. I'm sure that is a possibility, though. What are the chances that Toshiba would work on it (if it is hardware related) if it's still in warranty since I no longer have XP installed?

meatpath fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 9, 2007

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will give them a call this week sometime.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

teapot posted:

Apparently this can be triggered by ohci1394 driver -- try to unload and blacklist it:

code:
sudo echo "blacklist ohci1394" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
sudo rmmod ohci1394
and see if it the error is still happening.

I blacklisted ohci1394 (as well as ieee1394, since I don't use the firewire port at all). I also used the sudo rmmod command, but after a reboot both of those modules are still alive and kicking and have been loaded. Not sure why.

Also, I've found a lot of other folks who have had this issue when upgrading to Feisty, and they all recommended adding some apic flags to the boot list, such as "noapic" or "nolapic". I tried booting with "noapic", and to be honest, my hard locks have seemed to stop. It might be placebo, though, since they were never happening that often, but the night that I posted the original request in this thread I had had a hard lockup about three or four times in a row. That has definitely not happened since, and I've been booting with the "noapic" option. Again, may be placebo.

I'm still searching on this one. I realize it could be a hardware issue, but I want to be 100% sure before dealing with Toshiba.

So, with that said, am I doing something wrong when trying to remove those firewire modules?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

edit: nevermind, im just sending this thing in while it is still under warranty

meatpath fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 8, 2007

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

If I want to back up my entire /home/me to DVDs, and it is 16.7GB in size, is there an easier way to spread it across 4 or 5 DVDs than manually dividing it up by hand and burning it in K3b?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Alright, I'm going to post the resolution (or what I hope has been the resolution) of my problem referenced in this post.

Basically, none of the solutions I tried fixed anything. I tried adding different calls to the boot line, adding and removing some random software that others suggested, upgrading to the new kernel, even trying a different distro - none of which worked. I resolved myself to the fact that I would just send in the laptop to Toshiba since I still have four months left in my warranty (which I will be extending, since I love this machine).

However, Toshiba told me that I had to leave the hard drive in when I sent the machine in for repairs. :psyduck: This meant that their support covered the machine running on XP. Well, I had similar issues in XP, although I never got the same error messages and the machine didn't really lock up like it did with Feisty, the processor/fan just seemed to activate way too much over the smallest things.

Well gently caress it, I'll just back my poo poo up and throw XP back on there before I send it in. After doing so, I just browsed to my machine's download page and noticed that the current BIOS version was 3.70, and mine was still 1.50. Other people had mentioned that upgrading their BIOS fixed their issue, but I didn't want to do that in Linux since I would have to flash it with a disc and not an executable file, which made me nervous.

I went ahead and updated the BIOS. Almost immediately I noticed that the processor and fan stopped acting so erradicately (is that a word?). I then threw the live CD of x86 Ubuntu in as well as the 64-bit version, and watched the syslog as it was running. Previously, even running the live cds I would still get the stream of APIC errors, even in the boot sequence some time. Well, after this BIOS update, the errors completely stopped. Completely.

I guess I'll throw Ubuntu back on and see how it performs. It has been running with a fresh Feisty install and a new BIOS update and I have not had any of the issues again even slightly. No crazy fan and processor, no error messages of any kind, no luck ups.

The only thing that concerns me is that I already have a case number for sending in my machine for repairs. I'd rather just watch it now to see if I get any more malfunction from it, rather than sending it in. I've got four months left in the warranty, and like I said I will be extending that. Does this sound like a safe option? If three months from now the issue comes back, and I file a NEW case number, do you think they will say anything like "Well, this is negligence, since you knew about the issue three months ago and didn't do anything about it?"

(Sorry for the long rear end post :shobon: )

meatpath fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 10, 2007

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to schedule my computer to record an internet radio show at a given time when I am not at home to manually hit the record button?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Can anyone recommend a cross-platform encryption solution for an external HDD? I have a laptop running Mint and a desktop running Win7, and I would like to be able to use the drive (as seamlessly as possible) between both machines, but also have the entire drive encrypted.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is there any way to use the live CD version of Mint, but also allow space to install and test software in the live CD environment? I already use and love Mint on my laptop, but I want to test how well a game works via Wine in Mint before switching over on my desktop.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

kujeger posted:

Hell, just post the name of the game too. I've tried and played a lot of games on wine; might have tried yours.

It's Rocket League. I have an AMD HD6770 that runs it fine in Windows 10. The game also has a gold rating (from what I can tell) on the Wine site, but I've also seen some reports of significant FPS hits in Wine. Plus, they're reportedly releasing a native Linux version by the end of the year. I planned on waiting for that, but I am really disappointed in Windows 10 and am ready to be done with it.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Currently on Mint 17.2. I'm looking for a good solution to (hopefully easily) stream my large music library (FLAC) to my Roku 2. In Windows, I simply downloaded a UPnP plugin for Foobar and it worked flawlessly. I have not found a music player that does this the same way. I'm currently using Clementine to manage my library, which works great and is reminiscent of Foobar, but it does not appear to have a built-in way to act as a music server.

I've tried Plex. Plex worked, but then didn't work, then did, then didn't. I hated the web interface of it, and now it seems to be broken beyond repair on my machine. I've also downloaded Twonky, but have not had any luck getting it to run, either. At this point, I'm OK trying a solution that might prove to be more complicated to set up initially, just as long as it can work and work reliably. I would like a solution that can stream the music and album artwork to the Roku's default audio player. Any advice?

edit: I should qualify - I can run foobar2000 perfectly via Wine, and it works flawlessly with the Roku just as it does in Windows. I'm just seeking a native solution.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I am running KDE Neon on an XPS 13 9370. I have a POD Go (https://line6.com/podgo/) which is a guitar amp/effect modeler, but also acts as a class compliant USB audio interface. I am able to plug it in and record through my DAW (Bitwig) with ease, little to no configuration needed. What I cannot figure out how to do, though, is output audio from my laptop (Firefox audio, specifically) to the POD so that I can listen to what's playing in my browser at the same time I am playing guitar. Headphones are plugged into the POD.

Oddly, if I record audio into a track in Bitwig, then I am able to play that track back simultaneously while playing and recording new audio on top of it. Bitwig seems to know how to output audio through the interface just fine, but I have no idea how to do this at the desktop level so I can push browser audio through. I have a hunch the answer is either "not possible" or "use jack," which is really intimidating.

edit: I've discovered that using a Focusrite 2i2 can do this the way I need it to, without much fuss. I guess the issue is with the POD itself.

meatpath fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 14, 2022