Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

shyguy posted:

Alrighty, I was able to work out my first problem, but I have another question, and hopefully it's an easier one. How do I change the font color on the KDE kicker? I'm running KDE 3.5.

Do you mean the taskbar? If so, I'm sure I saw mention of a very recent patch to enable just this, but I can't find any reference to it, now. Unless it has been patched for 3.5.6, then I don't think this is possible, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

I get a series of errors with my c program to the effect of "warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'"

Post program.c and full error log, please :)

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

SnatchRabbit posted:

program.c:gcc -Iinclude -W -g3 -lprogram src/program.c -o program
src/program.c:29:33: error: program/program.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:30:27: error: program/hci.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:31:31: error: program/hci_lib.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:32:30: error: program/rfcomm.h: No such file or directory

The bolded part looks very odd to me. All errors seem to stem from the fact that the included files mentioned (and also the standard library files) are not found, which may or may not be caused by the "-Iinclude" bit. Can you post the makefile, too? Where did you get this program & makefile?

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Toiletbrush posted:

Also, recommend me a BitTorrent client that isn't Azureus.

As AlexHat mentioned, people seem to have a lot of success with uTorrent under WINE.

Other popular choices:

rtorrent (CLI)
Deluge (Young-ish but apparently very good; GNOME-integrated)
KTorrent (KDE)
Opera's built-in client

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

thenameseli posted:

Check the Help->About window. Near the bottom there is a list of compile-time libraries.

XScreenSaver: Enabled

In particular, this is the one you want. The corresponding -dev package is either

x11proto-scrnsaver-dev

or

libxss-dev

I think. I forget which.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Sexy Slippers posted:

Does anyone know how I can fix this? I really like ktorrent and would like to keep using it.

Install the latest version and see if that fixes it. If not, either file a bug report or ask the devs at http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Edit:

There might be something useful here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=420118&highlight=ParseRsp

Edit2:

Even better:

http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1539

tl;dr - either upgrade, or disable dht as a workaround.

GeneralZod fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 13, 2007

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

Toiletbrush posted:

So my question is, can a faulty USB driver/device freeze the system?

I've managed to hard-lock my desktop merely by unplugging a USB bluetooth dongle before, so I'd say "yes" :)

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
I'm clearly misunderstanding how permissions work under UNIX, but I'm not sure why. As far as I can tell, /usr/bin/fusermount should be runnable by me, but it is not - it does not even show up during bash auto-completion.

code:
[simon@simon-desktop][10:48:01]
[~]>whoami
simon
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:43]
[~]>groups `whoami`
simon : simon adm dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev [b]fuse[/b] admin kqemu
[simon@simon-desktop][10:53:51]
[~]>ls -l /usr/bin/fusermount
-rwsr-xr-- 1 root [b]fuse[/b] 19456 2007-03-12 22:34 /usr/bin/fusermount
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:05]
[~]>/usr/bin/fusermount
[b]bash: /usr/bin/fusermount: Permission denied[/b]
[simon@simon-desktop][10:54:14]
[~]>ls -l /dev/fuse
crw-rw---- 1 root fuse 10, 229 2007-10-21 08:38 /dev/fuse
If I chmod o+x /usr/bin/fusermount then it will at least start (although I can't do anything with it as I don't have write access to /dev/fuse), but I don't see why I need to, or why I don't have permission to write to /dev/fuse. What am I missing? Google throws up lots of pages about the ssh fuse system not working, but I am not using ssh.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

covener posted:

Have you started a new login shell since you came to have fuse as an addl secondary group? I don't see anyting wrong with your expectations.

I've tried it with the old shell (that I used to do the apt-get install fusestuff) and started up a new shell, too, and neither worked :/

It's not particularly important - the install is going to end up duplicated in a VM image where security is much less important and where I can chmod ugo+xw with impunity - but it's still annoying me.

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer
I have some bashrc/bash profile confusion here.

Here they are (obviously, the versions in my ~ don't have a ".txt" on the end!)

http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc.txt
http://tastethegoonage.com/shsc/.bashrc_profile.txt

I have just blanked my bash_profile and moved everything that was in it into .bashrc.

The problem I am having is as follows:

- Logging in via a virtual terminal does not seem to set any of the exported variables (KDE4DAILY_UPDATER_DIR, KDE4INSTALL, PS1, etc), although this did work when I had most of the "export" junk in my .bash_profile.

- Starting up a GUI terminal e.g. Konsole does seem to source all this stuff correctly but, annoyingly, prints out every line in an orgy of "declare -x" statements - sometimes including lines that are presumably in /etc/bashrc or some other place, which I have not touched. I really don't what this to happen and would like some way of switching it off. Sometimes it doesn't print all this crap out, though, and I can't put my finger on the conditions under which it does and does not occur.

[I moved all the exports out of .bash_profile and into .bashrc as someone said that .bashrc is "the silent one" of the two, but it still seems to keep running its gums].

The user shell seems to be set to /bin/bash in /etc/users. This is effectively a server install of Kubuntu Feisty 7.04, running in a VM.

Any suggestions on how to correctly structure my ash files would be appreciated :)

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

covener posted:

404 on latter

Sorry - just imagine an empty file ;)

quote:

a VT is a login shell, which automatically reads .bash_profile

see INVOCATION in the bash manpage

by default not a login shell, so it reads .bashrc

Cool - thanks for the info - it's much clearer now!

quote:

you have an errant bash -x or set -x; try grep -r -- -x ~

Only turns up usages of "-x" in a "file exists?" capacity. I put a

code:
$-
set -o
in my .bashrc; the former returned

code:
himBH
and the latter indicated that xtrace was not set :( Any other clues?

quote:

sounds like a bogus suggestion

More than likely.

quote:

if these are settings you want to run for every imagineable shell, source your bashrc from bash_profile and stuff all your content into bashrc.b

Great; thanks for the advice :)

Edit:

Heh - the "declare -x" stuff was the result of an "export" somehow being split into two lines. "export" on its own will pour out all that bumph :) Problem solved; thanks!

GeneralZod fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 9, 2007

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

Thanks Scaevolus!

Another question: is there a limit for the number of files mget will download via ftp? I tried to transfer a directory of 130,000 pictures and it only transferred exactly 99,999. Is something else causing this or is it an mget limit?

Some ftp servers will limit the number of items returned when your ftp client requests the list of files in a directory, which has been a pain in the arse for a project I'm working on (mine is limited to 2000).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralZod
May 28, 2003

Kneel before Zod!
Grimey Drawer

fletcher posted:

How can I increase the limit or download the files I don't have yet?

The limit is determined by whoever hosts the server, so you'll have to ask them :/

For my project, I used the appalling workaround of simply downloading the index.html using HTTP (which apparently doesn't have this limit) in order to get the full list of files in a directory.