Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

disclaimer: I know nothing about linux. :(

Tried an Ubuntu LiveCD I got earlier today, and it wouldn't boot. A similar problem happened with Kanotix when I tried it a few months ago. The Ubuntu CD did let me get a verbose log of what was happening, and it looked like it was trying to mount the CD-Rom as hdc and failing to read it, or something. I got a lot of DriveReady SeekComplete error opcode unknown garbage. If I can find a digital camera I could take a picture of the bootscreen if needed.

Anyone have a clue what to do? With experience like this with liveCDs, it isn't making me want to install anything..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

thenameseli posted:

That sounds like you might be burning bad cdroms. See if you can open the files on another computer. I suppose it is possible for it to be able to access the first bit of boot information but encounter errors with stuff further on.
First one I burnt, second one I got from a technology fair thing at school, so I didn't even burn the second. I'm gonna try it on one of the other machines here and see what the deal is. (I don't think it's the drive, cause I have 2 and tried it with both..) Will report back, likely Friday.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

ide=nodma fixed it. after that, replacing USB kb/mouse with old ps2 ones fixed no input. I'm still wondering why I can't switch resolutions without it logging out and logging back in (and not saving the resolution change), but eh.

I'm debating whether or not to install and try to fix it up, or wait for FeistyFawn.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Twinxor posted:

You can get builds of Feisty now, and just upgrade them to the release version when it comes out. They aren't guaranteed to work, but I dist-upgraded from edgy without incident, and I'd expect very little to be broken this close to release. The Release Candidate ISO will be out in the next few days, if you want something official.
I went ahead and got the most recent kubuntu [7.04-beta], I figured if it sucks, it should be better soon. Besides, if this doesn't work pretty well, I'll likely be putting it off to summer, since finals are looming.

tehk posted:

I wouldn't today. The 14.23 and 15.24 Kernels mess with some sata controllers(lock up at boot). They are going to have the 15.25 kernel up in like 8 hours(area depending). The RC was delayed because of this.
Good thing I don't have sata! :D

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Is there a MATLAB language implementation that aims for compatibility with the Matlab that Mathwords puts out? I tried Scilab, and half of my working-in-windows code doesn't work on it. I don't really know much about Linux yet, I am gonna try FreeMat once I learn how to 'use alien to install the rpm version', as I was just advised.

The font rendering looks so much better, it'd be so much nicer to work in Linux..