Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

So, I'm relatively new to linux. I decided to install Xubuntu because it seemed light and user-friendly. With the help of various internet guides and such, I've been slowly getting everything to work.

Except MPD. At first, I was following: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=320469&highlight=mpd . When I executed "./autogen.sh", I got the following:
code:
########### MPD CONFIGURATION ############

Playback Support:
 libao support .................disabled
 OSS support ...................enabled
 ALSA support ..................disabled
 JACK support ..................disabled
 OS X support ..................disabled
 PulseAudio support ............disabled
 Media MVP support .............disabled
 Shout streaming support .......disabled

File Format Support:
 ID3 tag support ...............disabled
 mp3 support ...................disabled
 Ogg Vorbis support ............disabled
 FLAC support ..................disabled
 OggFLAC support ...............disabled
 Wave file support .............disabled
 MP4/AAC support ...............disabled
 Musepack (MPC) support ........disabled
 MOD support ...................disabled
configure: error: No input plugins supported!
I didn't really pay much attention to these error messages, and kept following the guide. Make and make install both seemed to work. I followed the rest of the guide for MPD up until it told me to run MPD. I executed "sudo mpd" and got the following:
code:
unable to bind port 6600: Address already in use
maybe MPD is still running?
I looked around, and in the process of finding the solution, I ran into http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Install#Ubuntu_Install_Procedure and tried doing that. It did not fix the problem. However, "sudo killall mpd" did. But when I tried to run mpd again, it alternately gave me
code:
cannot setgid for user "mpd" at line 188: Operation not permitted
if I didn't run as superuser, or if I executed "sudo mpd" it gave me
code:
No audio_output specified and unable to detect a default audio output device
I tried playing around with the mpd.conf, uncommenting the secion on alsa drivers, etc. but it did nothing except show me a wide variety of error messages. Finally I went into Synaptic, removed mpd, and tried following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31763&highlight=mpd . But, when I typed "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mpd" into console, it just paused briefly, before returning me to the command prompt. I'd very much like to get this up and working, but as it is, I have no idea what to do.

I'm running Xubuntu 6.10, I have a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook soundcard with alsa drivers installed, which as far as I can tell are working. I have gxine and rhythmbox currently installed, and both work after I followed https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu to install the codecs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Well, I finally got MPD installed. I want to create a launcher for sonata on my panel, but I can't find the icon for sonata. Is there a way to find icons for various programs?

minute
Jul 31, 2003

sund posted:

/usr/share/pixmaps on gentoo.

or...

Awesome, thanks.

A couple more quick questions. Right now, I have WinXP installed on partition, Xubuntu on a partition and a shared FAT32 partition. I have all my music on the FAT partition. I tried adding a symbolic link to my music folder in /var/lib/mpd/music. It seems to work, I can cd into it, etc. But when I try to run sudo mpd --create-db, it won't add anything to the database. I think it has something to do with the permissions. Right now, the permissions for that partition are: drwxrwx---. I tried doing sudo chmod a+rwx, and that didn't do anything. I tried actually changing into the superuser and running chmod and still didn't do anything. Also, all the files in that partition are listed in green in terminal. I have an external harddisk also formatted as FAT32 which seems to work fine. The permissions for that are: drwxr-xr-x. I can add a symbolic link to my music directory on there and mpd adds it to the database with no problem.

Another thing, can MPD play CDs? Do I just make a symbolic link to /media/cdrom in /var/lib/mpd/music? And, can MPD access freedb?

minute fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 23, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

I'm running utorrent through wine, and everything seems to work okay, except for some torrents where I can't connect to the tracker. How can I fix this? Or, I wouldn't mind switching over to a linux client, so is there one that's as light on resources as utorrent with all/most of the features?

Unrelated question, what's a good program to for podcasts?

minute fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 5, 2007

minute
Jul 31, 2003

thenameseli posted:

It is exceptionally unlikely that this has anything to do with Linux; it is probably just an issue with that particular tracker. Can you connect to it with the same network setup+uTorrent in Windows?

I highly recommend deluge, although I have never used uTorrent. Azureus' features can be nice at times, but it has some serious issues with resource consumption and runaway java threads.

Yes, I tried the torrents in windows with uTorrent, and they seem to work fine. I was thinking about deluge, but it looks like there's no easy way to uninstall it in case I don't like it, other than manually removing all the files, so I'm kind of wary of installing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

teapot posted:

There are packages on their site for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo and Arch, so uninstalling packages will work the same way as anything else.

Oh, you're right. I guess I was looking at and older version that had to be built with a python script.