Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Twinxor posted:

What's the command-line way to get system temperature? I remember using a simple command that gave the temp at a few different sensors, but I can't find that command now.
acpitool -t should do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

spfdz posted:

Looking for a media player that can support 6000+ songs in a playlist, and can submit tracks to last.fm, as well read idv3 tags.

Amarok chuggs on a playlist that's that big. Anyone have any suggestions?

My experience with xmms is that it doesn't read the tags correctly.
If you configure Amarok with either the Postgresql or MySQL backend it should have no problem with that amount of files (at least I didn't with PSQL).

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Paco de Suave posted:

I'm running Ubuntu server 6.10 and if I don't have any outgoing traffic on the machine, it will lose connectivity (the web pages its serving won't load, can't ftp/ssh in, etc) until I ping out from the machine. The internet connection is still working and other computers connected to the same switch still work. How would I go about fixing this, or if nobody has any ideas, how would I go about setting it up so it pings a website every minute starting when it boots up?
That's a pretty weird problem, but to do the ping edit the crontab as a regular user (do a crontab -e) and add a line like:
code:
* * * * *     /bin/ping -c 1 4.4.2.2 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
Make sure there's a tab between the final asterisk and the command.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I know what I'm trying to do is stupid.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, and I have a VirtualBox with WindowsXP that has a bridged connection to the outside world, it's own IP from the router and everything. If I have a Samba share on the ubuntu machine and the Windows image accesses it, is that traffic going to go out to the network and bounce back or is the whole setup going to be smart enough to avoid putting it on the wire and just transfer it internally? How could I tell?
If they're on the same subnet it shouldn't go out through the router, but can't you just test it by disconnecting from the router and doing a file transfer?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

teapot posted:

What is that "enterprise wireless connecion" that you speak of? 802.11(something) with WEP? Same with WPA? Some network authentication protocols? Some kind of VPN?
I'd guess he means WPA2 with a Radius authentication server behind it. No idea how to set it up under Linux unfortunately.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

I've got ~1000 files in a folder. I was wondering if there's a way to run a command for each of the files in a folder, appending the output. (Under bash.)

./JTSPSolver < ./06CityProblems/* >> ./outFile

Doesn't work.
find 06CityProblems -type f -exec ./JTPSolver \{\} \; >> outfile

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

Thanks to both of you. Works wonderfully.

Though it brings up the question: if I run the script with nice -n -19, does JTSPSolver get high priority, too?

If not, can I change the priority of the task once it's running?
In the find version you can put the nice command right before the JTSPSolver part.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

OuterSpaceMan posted:

This got me thinking, is there something funny you can do with PAM to bypass the security (other than use pam_permit)? Storing account passwords in clear text is upsetting, so I would imagine there's a good way to do this just to rig the authentication itself. Maybe if the connection was coming from a specific host or something like that.
Ideally you'd use SSH public key authentication to set it up. Basically you generate an SSH private and public key and drop the public key in the account home directory that you're connecting to. Then anything initiating an SSH connection to that target using the private key can connect without the password (assuming the key itself isn't password protected). There's lots of documents explaining it like this:

http://sial.org/howto/openssh/publickey-auth/

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

lol internet. posted:

:words:
Just use WinSCP (http://winscp.net) to access your home system. It's way more secure than an FTP connection, and impossible for your ISP to see what files are being transferred through it.

As long as you have the SSH daemon running you can connect via SCP using your regular login.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

invid posted:

Managed to get my harddisk formatted.

I have a problem though.

Right now I have one partition that's mounted onto "/"

I have another partition that isn't mounted yet, but I want it to mount as "/home".

Problem is, if I do that, then my current /home/user accounts are all wiped underneath the new "/home"

Is there a way to do this properly without losing data?
Move everything in home to a different directory temporarily, then mount the new one and move them back into place.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

I have a Debian question. I rebuilt all the packages with a changed configure paramter for Bacula since the distribution removed OpenSSL. Now that I've installed the rebuilt packages how do I ensure that an apt-get won't wipe out the locally built ones if the apt source has a newer version?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

ShoulderDaemon posted:

code:
foo@bar$ sudo dpkg --set-selections
bacula hold
^D
foo@bar$
There might be a slightly more user-friendly way to do that, but this is what everything will eventually do in the background.
That should do the trick perfectly, thanks!

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Vanadium posted:

Is there anything wrong with using su -c instead of using sudo?
su will ask for the root password, and sudo will just ask for your own (meaning that you don't have to maintain the root password if you don't want to).

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

A while back I asked about the memory usage of my Debian box. Someone responded, telling me that it's normal for Linux to eat fairly large amounts of ram in a 'precache' like act. I accepted this and passed it off, seeing I had larger issues. Well my system is still eating up 2 gigs of memory, solid, even as far as to have 150kb of swap space used. This does not look like precache, this looks loving crazy. Is there something I can disable to free up a little bit of that 2gig block? How many of the 92 processes (omg) should I be running for regular desktop operation?

N.E.: Looks like I only use ~200 megs at startup. After I've run a few applications, it hovers at the two gig mark.
It's totally normal. The buffers and cache fills pretty much all available RAM, and that space is reclaimed when applications allocate memory.

Windows Vista does this now too - and I think it's touted as a revolutionary new feature :)

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Jo posted:

I thought I did. :( It just didn't seem normal to see so much taken up.

If I'm connected via ssh I use pa (aliased to `ps aux`) and free. Otherwise I'll fire up KDE system guard and look at the pretty graphs. :downs:
The first two lines of the free output shows the memory used, and then the memory used with the buffers and cache removed from the totals. I don't know if the KDE tool lets you adjust for that.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

If I fail and remove a disk in a md mirror, can I simply mount the removed disk or recreate a new single disk array from it? Or does something prevent this? The idea would be at some point to convert the ext4 filesystem on my current mirror to BTRFS, but kinda with less risk.
Should work with no issues.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

sonic bed head posted:

I'm trying desperately to install lxml for python on a x64 machine and having tons of problems. I've narrowed the problem down to what is happening in this link (don't worry about the security certificate, just don't login or something) but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere. That was from November of last year so I'm hoping that there is a solution by now. It says that it was closed because it was fixed, but it doesn't say anywhere how it was fixed.

Any help would be really great. I'm supposed to get this done in the next hour so I'm trying really hard to figure it out. Thank you.
Can't you just install lxml from the source instead of from the Arch package? I'd assume one of the following methods would work (with easy_install being obviously the easiest):
http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html#installation

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Okay, I have a weird problem that I think I can solve with iptables but I'm not sure specifically how. I have a legacy application that connects to a hardcoded IP for a JDBC connection. However, the IP has changed on the service provider from say 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. I want to setup iptables to map all outbound traffic on the application box destined to 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2 but can't get it quite to work.

Additionally both hosts are on the other side of a VPN, and I could probably also solve it on the ASAs where the VPN is setup but I'd rather do this, um, patch, right on the Linux box.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

lilbean posted:

Okay, I have a weird problem that I think I can solve with iptables but I'm not sure specifically how. I have a legacy application that connects to a hardcoded IP for a JDBC connection. However, the IP has changed on the service provider from say 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2. I want to setup iptables to map all outbound traffic on the application box destined to 1.1.1.1 to 2.2.2.2 but can't get it quite to work.

Additionally both hosts are on the other side of a VPN, and I could probably also solve it on the ASAs where the VPN is setup but I'd rather do this, um, patch, right on the Linux box.
Self-quoting, figured this poo poo out:
code:
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 1.1.1.1 -j DNAT --to 2.2.2.2
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

This is actually on a Solaris 10 machine. I just checked, still nothing in the log file...
The spaces should be tabs between the level and the filename. That screwed me up once, it's worth a check.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

kripes posted:

Also, I was in a meeting yesterday with a PCI compliant IT team and they said that their Redhat rep said they don't need to install Antivirus on the Redhat servers. What is up with that?
It really all depends on the opinion of the QSA validating your environment when you go for compliance. The spec says all systems need AV, so we just have ClamAV scanning home directories and what not once a day and that was enough for that check mark. I wouldn't risk not having it because of third-hand info (even though it's most likely a complete waste of time).

lilbean fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 25, 2010

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Anjow posted:

I want to add a directory to the PATH on 8 machines. I use ClusterIt to automate sending commands to a large number of servers, is there a single command (or one-line string of commands) that I can use to add a directory to the PATH, so that I can send that command to all servers?
Not sure which distribution you're using, but in RHEL and probably it's variants there's now a /etc/profile.d directory which contains shell snippets executed in sequence by all new (at least bash) shells.

So with ClusterIt you could do something like:
echo "export PATH=\$PATH:/mynewpath" > /etc/profile.d/newpath.sh

Just make sure the dollar is unescaped when creating the file.

And a PS, if you're going to maintain that many machines and more in the future you might want to look into Puppet or Chef to automate it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Menacer posted:

I'm unable to compile Fortran applications with the installed GCC package, with an error complaining about being unable to find f951-- This is usually indicative of gfortran not existing. And, FWIW, Scientific Linux 6.0 has a separate gcc-gfortran package in their repo.
This is what I see on an RH6 box:
code:
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
repo id                            repo name                                                              status
rhel-x86_64-server-6               Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server (v. 6 for 64-bit x86_64)               3,999
repolist: 4,031
[root@tor-bserver1 ~]# yum search fortran
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit, rhnplugin
=============================================== Matched: fortran ===============================================
gcc-gfortran.x86_64 : Fortran support
So it's there in the "server" repo.