Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003
I recently upgraded from Win XP to Ubuntu. In Windows I used a particular Tag&Rename feature that I am really missing. In Linux I am using EasyTAG, but I am very open to switching to a different application.

Say you have a directory that is full of .mp3 files that together make up an audiobook, but you ripped them from the CDs and so now you want to number the tracks sequentially 1 - 18 for example even though the tracks were ripped from three different CDs.

Does anyone know of a Linux application that would work well for this?

Also, it occurred to me that it might be good if we started a separate thread called "Recommend Me a Linux Application." In such a thread people could ask questions like the one above. Such a thread would seem useful because there is such a wealth of different applications for Linux that might all do pretty much the same thing generally, but which might not all do a particular thing that someone is looking for. I would be glad to start such a thread, but I might not be the best person since I am such a recent convert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

duz posted:

EasyTag does it. It's this button right here:

Thanks! I have not been able to find any documentation on EasyTag. I was able to apply the track numbers to all of the files, but when I try to rename the files to Track Number - Album I get a dialog where I can enter the mask to rename the files, but there is no OK button. How does this part work?

Thanks for putting up with a newbie.

Edit: Just to clarify. When I press F2 it does have an Apply button that lets me rename the directory, but when I click Scanner, Rename File(s) and Directory, it does not have an Apply or OK button. It looks like this second method is the way to rename all of the files in the directory, but I just can't get it to work.

Watson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 25, 2007

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

duz posted:

At least that's how I do it, I havn't been able to find good documentation and I'm too used to T&R.
Thanks. It is not the most intuitive application, but it looks like it gets the job done after all.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

bigperm posted:

I have an old laptop with only a flobby drive... it does have a usb port, but it can't boot off it. Is there any way to put ubuntu (or any linux) on that?

I know that I have heard that this is possible to I googled for Ubuntu Network Install and found the following:
http://wiki.koeln.ccc.de/index.php/Ubuntu_PXE_Install
I am still a Linux newb myself so I don't really follow it very well, but hopefully it will lead you in the right direction.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

J Corp posted:

I have approx 1.6 gigs of space after running defrag.

I did not have much extra space on my hard drive so I bought a second hard drive for cheap from NewEgg and put Ubuntu there. It works great, and it did not even touch my old hard drive.

If you don't want to spend any money you could try DLS, but I have never used it myself.
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Do you know which distro they are using at the University you visited? Just curious.

Watson
Oct 28, 2003

DigitalChaos posted:

Questions

1 - Have you installed the Microsoft Core Fonts package from the repo?
2 - I don't really understand the question, but I am still very new to Linux myself.
3 - Check out XFCE. I love it. In ubuntu you just install the Xubuntu Desktop Environment. Then you get the choice of Gnome or XFCE when you log in. You may also just want to check out some of the other themes. They are in Preferences somewhere, but I am not at my machine so I am not sure where. The themes in Linux are much more varied than those that I ever saw in Windows.

Enjoy Ubunutu. I am loving it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watson
Oct 28, 2003
Double post.