Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

On my Debian machine, I am currently using Evolution to handle all of my mail. However, I've read about things such as sendmail, fetchmail, procmail, exim4, postfix, and I figure that I'm going to have to deal with those things eventually, so I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer my mail handling from Evolution itself to use more general UNIX mail delivery. This I think would have two advantages to me.

1. I'll know how to set up UNIX mail delivery.
2. I'll be able to use any mail program I like to read and send mail. Evolution is really nice, but what if I want to access my computer remotely? Using another mail client like mutt in the same mailbox would be much nicer than having to use VNC or pipe X over to the computer I want to access it from so I can use Evolution.

However, I haven't the foggiest idea how to get started. Plus, there are so many options for fetching mail (getmail, fetchmail), sending mail (sendmail, exim, postfix), sorting mail (I know about procmail, but I'm sure there are others). So far I've gotten to the point where Evolution is reading my local inbox for mail, so I can see the dozens of cron errors that have piled up in the past couple of days. But what now?

And I want to be able to share my "sent mail" box as well, so I can tell what mail I've sent.

Is there any decent tutorials on how to get started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Jo posted:

I saw someone ask this, but no reply. What is a good image viewer for Linux (Debian) that supports animated gifs, lots of image formats, and fit to screen/center capabilities?
I'm not liking Eye Of Gnome. (I use KDE.)
KView isn't great, either.
QuikShow does what it's supposed to, but I need more.

Edit: Cornice and ximg don't work too well, though they seem well suited.

qiv can quickly show anything I throw at it. It's commandline though.