Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

spfdz posted:

Couple questions about win/nix sharing.

1. I have a windows box with a external drive connected to it (D:\) How would I go about mounting that on the linux side? I have the shares setup already on the windows side.

2. After I mount the external drive, would I should be able to write to it even though it's NTFS correct? Since everything should be done through the Windows OS?

in /etc/fstab:

//host/share /mnt/share smbfs username=user%password,uid=1005,rw 0 0

or mount -t smbfs -o username=user%password,uid=1005,rw //host/share /mnt/share

The uid option should be the uid of your general user, as real permissions can't be used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Digital Drifter posted:

Basically I'm looking for a distro that is slim and easy to manage package wise yet very tweakable. I�ll be using the laptop for data recovery and network security/diagnostic stuff, and maybe a bit of amateur python development.

I've been looking at Arch Linux and that seems to fit my criteria. Anyone have any comments on it?

You'd probably be happier with something a little more mainstream that has a lot of eyes on it -- ubuntu or debian are obvious choices.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

CUMGUARD posted:

Hi, I�m pretty new to Linux, and I am running the latest non-beta version of Ubuntu (Edgy, I think?). I am on a campus network and I have a couple of network drives that I need access to. I found instructions and used smbmount while logged in as root, but I cannot change the permissions on the folders to allow myself read/write access when logged into my account. Even when logged in as root, I cannot change the permissions. Is there any easy way to fix this? Im not afraid of using the terminal, but I am pretty new to this, so it would really help if any advice could be as simple as possible. Thanks!

You can only set faux permissions when you mount with the following options coming into play: uid, gid, dmask, fmask. If you have a single user who needs to write to the share, find out his userid and add uid=nnn to your mount options (you're probably already passing some options via -o foo=bar)

These are documented in the smbmount manpage

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

hallik posted:

hopefully this is the right thread. I am trying to search all files in a directory for a certain string within the files, tell me the file name and line they are on. This only gives me, (standard input): Line#:string

like this...
(standard input):178:var tzname= "US EASTERN";

This is what I am doing:
more * |grep -H -n 'tz'

obviously the -H is wrong. Help?

Only more sees the filenames. Reverse the order of the commands?

grep -H -n tz | more

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SnatchRabbit posted:

makefile -

That makefile has no redeeming qualities -- it wasn't written by a clueful person, so don't expect much out of the code!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

How do I use smbmount without specifying a password every time? I'd like to be able to either map a linux user to a specific set of windows creditials or have samba read the password from it's /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd file, so I only have to specify the username. Is this possible?

You can specify the options for these shared directories in /etc/fstab using the options from smbmount manpage (user=foo%bar,uid=1000,...)

You can then mount it by just passing the mountpoint to the mount command

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

I'm looking for a way to mount the share without keeping a plaintext password anywhere.

The entry in /etc/fstab looks like:
//192.168.1.200/share /mnt/share smbfs username=Mashi,rw 0 0

But since the windows share requires a password along with the username, I'm prompted for a password every time. I'd like for it to read the password from /etc/passwd, or /etc/samba/smbpasswd.

Both of those files store 1-way digests of the password -- your password can't be extracted from it and sent to the remote system.

You can stash your password in a file with the credential= option, which you can protect more then /etc/fstab

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

Is there a way to permanently change my hostname in Debian 4?

I tried running `hostname <newName>` but that resets after my system restarts.
I tried editing /etc/hosts, which works 'till I reset.
I tried making /etc/HOSTNAME, which, again, works 'till I reset.
I even made /etc/sysconfig/network, which works 'till I reset my machine.
Is there any way (other than a reformat/reinstall) to change my hostname?

Set from /etc/hostname during startup. See /etc/init.d/hostname.sh

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

GeneralZod posted:

KTorrent (KDE)

I'll endorse ktorrent too -- handy systray thing to move max UL around, dead-simple otherwise.

And even dcop control over max UL

covener fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 29, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

fuseiso isn't being terribly nice:

code:
[B]fuse: failed to exec fusermount: Permission denied[/B]

When i run sudo fuseiso ~/diskimage.iso ~/iso , only root has permission to read ~/iso even when it is owned by user :argh:

Both of your problems come from your userid not being in the fuse group, and whoever packaged your fuse-utils/kernel decided that's how they'd control access.

(fusermount is probably setuid root but only group-executable / owned by group fuse)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Crush posted:

Why are fonts so sexy in Firefox for Ubuntu, but are so ugly (and jagged) in Firefox for Gentoo or FreeBSD?

Look for differences between
code:
fc-match -v sans
on the two systems, then start looking at your mozilla config.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jorenko posted:

code:
(EE) Module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (1)
(EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
(EE) No drivers available
I've got the latest restricted drivers package installed, and the fglrx package as well:[

Maybe an ubuntu cousin of http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=420174 if you move up to xserver-xorg-core 2:1.3.*

edit: Bug suggests taking the time to register and vote for the bug here:
http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=609

covener fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 27, 2007

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

DjLizard posted:

(/bin/login vs. getty)

Have you checked this setting:

code:
$ grep -r /etc/issue /etc/pam.d/
/etc/pam.d/login:# auth       required   pam_issue.so issue=/etc/issue

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

twinxor posted:

and because it's open-source you're not bound by any licensing stuff.

Oh come on...

Smegmatron posted:

Do they actually offer ISOs of the enterprise stuff?

I don't believe these are offered for free.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Twinxor posted:

and killing a process generally kills its children, you can probably guess why that is.

Generally that isn't the case, children don't care about their parents dieing -- their ppid is set to 1 (init) and init knows to wait() for them.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Leathal posted:

That's retarded, I thought X11 had a universal clipboard. In Windows I can do Copy Image in Firefox and paste it into just about any program that handles images, from Photoshop to Nero Cover Designer.

Relatively recent developments in standards and higher-level toolkits are helping, but this kind of interchange hasn't traditionally been a focus for X11 apps.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Leathal posted:

That's a shame. I really miss little things like being able to drag and drop files from a zip archive to the folder I want to put them in.

FWIW seems to work between ark (kde archive tool, like winzip or file-roller) and konqueror (file manager/browser)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

decypher posted:

How do you linux goons with iPods update your iPod? Is there a package that allows you to safely mount and unmount your iPod similar to how iTunes does it in Windows/OSX?

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnupod/

mount, (1-time: gnupod_INIT). gnupod_addsong*, mktunes, umount, eject

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Snozzberry Smoothie posted:

I was wondering if there was a way that I could give the www-data group full permissions for the /dev/lp1 port, that would stay there when I reboot my server. I'm sick of chmod'ing it every time I boot up.

(It's for a line printer that my PHP app uses, before anyone asks why I want to do this weird thing).

if the group of /dev/lp1 is something specific like printer, make it a secondary group of your apache user. Otherwise, grep through /etc/udev.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

FrontLine posted:

I just looked up LVM as I'd never heard of it. It does look like what I'm after. I take it anything I do with it on Linux can be done the same way on AIX?

you want to create a new JFS filesystem based on hopefully free space on some existing volume group.

As root:

"lsvg" to show volume groups (groups of physical disks, where storage for filesystems come from), 'lsvg rootvg' assuming you have this defined..

Look at "PP Size" and "Free PPs" and hope you see 9gb.

"smitty jfs" to create a new filesystem in the volume group with enough space

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

SnatchRabbit posted:

How would I go about uninstalling ubuntu 7.04 from a Vista/Ubuntu dualboot? Only 1 HDD, each OS on its own partition. Not that I don't love Linux, I just have to remove ubuntu for work reasons.

Use the windows rescue CD to restore the dos-style MBR and to make sure the windows partition is bootable. Boot into windows and remove any of the partitions used for ubuntu filesystems via diskmgmt.msc

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Furd_Terguson posted:

code:
#!/bin/sh
target="$1"
if [ -e "$target" ]; then
  cdrecord -v dev=6,0,0 driveropts=burnfree $target
else echo "Usage: script.sh <foo.iso>"
fi
Thanks to thenameseli, I now have this basic DVD iso burning script started. I created this as burn_iso.sh, made it executable, and placed it in /bin. I run it by simply typing burn_iso.sh foo.iso just like the script would dictate. When I run the script, it just kicks back the usage portion. I assume this is probably something veyr simple. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

No clue where your issue is. Try running the script under an environment by changing the shebang to !#/bin/sh -x

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dfn_doe posted:

RE: sudo vs su

For example imagine you have a normal non-privileged account you use on an mythtv box in your living room and you are remotely logged into that same account via ssh to install some package updates. Now you execute your apt-get using sudo and it escalates your login privileges for a few minutes after you've provided a password, now in your living room during that same window of escalated priviledges your girl friend attempts to delete your back episodes and accidentally 'rm -rf /' instead of whatever she was trying to do. Blammo your root dir is unceremoniously cast into the ether.

I'm not sure 100% that this is still the case, but it certainly was a few years ago according to the CTO of my company. And is thusly the reason sudo sin't available on any of my production machines for work....

This requires that: You've configured sudo to allow your unpriveleged user to run commands including 'rm' AND to remember passwords AND you're sharing userids/terminals (and your girlfriend explicitly called sudo rm -rf, there's no sudo voodoo that allows implicit privelege escalation across the system)

I can't imagine those two being the case on anything but the most disposable test system in any environment where security or accountability is concerned.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dfn_doe posted:

Point being, I think that people tend to use sudo because it gives them a sense of greater security, however I think that sudo actually provides a FALSE sense of security in allowing more than people tend to think at first glance.

To each their own...

BTW: I just tested my original example case and found that apparently that behavior has been fixed.. which is nice ;)

People use sudo for convenience and not having to share a root password. Those are two big wins.

I don't think that behavior of sudo ever existed.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

teapot posted:

Get a USB audio card :-\

I used the predecessor to this on my thinkpad when the soundcard died:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118107

Had problems w/ the linux driver at the time where the mixer only went from 0 to 100%, and the thing is LOUD. Bought a little passthrough cable w/ a sound slider ot use w/ headphones.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

skroll posted:

If there's not anything natively, it wouldn't be very hard to do something with sed. In fact, it should be quite easy.

There's a perl package for converting ANSI text to html (if emerge actually passes the ansi to your mailer, you could pipe it through this perl script before delivering via .forward).

HTML::FromANSI

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ColdPie posted:

The only thing I could find was something about /dev/random being slow, which I would have no idea how to fix :( I'd really like to fix this problem as SVN is the only reason this server exists.

I could give CVS a shot, but I've heard SVN is better and I'm more familiar with it anyway.

tcp trace and syscall trace should give you a pretty big hint

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Alternately, the server admin suggested altering the directory where make install installs to and making it install somewhere in my home directory. How would i go about doing that, too?

You can usually just pass --prefix to ./configure

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

teapot posted:

You can install XEmacs package, however if you really want to compile the latest version, make sure that, as another poster mentioned, build-essential package is installed.

apt-get build-dep foo is a good choice when you want to build already packaged 'foo' from source, without as much autoconf trial and error

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

What's the appropriate method of 'cleaning' a Debian Linux install?

Back when I ran windows, the OS would slow down after a period of about two years from software getting added and removed, debuggers getting added, miscellaneous things that I needed to install for school. Cleaning would entail 'remove everything you can from startup', defrag, uninstall extra applications, things of that sort.

I'm in sort of the same boat with Debian right now. I've added security patches, installed and removed software, and the OS is feeling kinda' slow right now. What should I do to clean out my process list, startup, etc?

Unused programs and services don't normally consume much in the way of resources. You might want to make sure your disks are still using DMA (hdparm) and make sure your video is still accelerated (xdriinfo, glxinfo).

deborphan can remove unneeded old dependencies to save you some marginal disk space.

Finally, monitoring actual resource (mem, cpu, io) usage and finding a culprit would probably be the most likely route to solving a real steady-state performance problem (as opposed to psychological change, or change in startup behavior)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I'm definitely not seeing two gig of available memory.
code:
jo@VoidStar-Debian:~$ free -t -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           885        849         35          0         21        522
-/+ buffers/cache:        305        579
Swap:         1906          0       1906
Total:        2791        849       1941
885 megs of physical ram? How did I even get that number?

Using a stock kernel on modern distribution? $ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-`uname -r`

Maybe some people still need to pass mem= as a kernel parm? mem=2048M ?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mr. DNA posted:

I'm trying to get my scanner working and I'm getting a strange error.
code:
deryk@dna:~$ scanimage --format tiff >~/test.tiff
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
deryk@dna:~$
If I use:
code:
deryk@dna:~$ sudo scanimage --format tiff >~/test.tiff
everything works as expected.

I checked and 'deryk' is a member of the group 'scanner'.

Any thoughts on this?

EDIT: I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and Update Manager says everything is up to date.

You can get a quick backtrace by prefixing your invocation with "catchsegv'

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

rugbert posted:

Also - Whats a good iPod program? I was using ephPod with Wine but it was buggy and didnt save the playlists I made.

gnupod is nice and simple

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

invid posted:

How can I configure my squid properly? I've been reading the squid wiki and have been searching google for sometime now with the keyword "squid conflict web server same machine" and I can't seem to get any info on this case.

I wouldn't expect too much breakage based on being on the same system; does an ip trace show anything suspicious in the communication between the two?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Col posted:

code:
sed -e 's/: ///' list2 > list3
presumably because the characters I need to use require being quoted or similar. I have tried quoting the two expressions with double and single ticks but with no effect.

should be obvious that the forward slashes need escaping, and anything with a reserved meaning in th regex; Or use a different character to separate the parms

code:
$ echo /media/disk-1/backup/foo/bar: filename | sed -e 's/: /\//'
/media/disk-1/backup/foo/bar/filename
$ echo /media/disk-1/backup/foo/bar: filename | sed -e 's@: @/@'
/media/disk-1/backup/foo/bar/filename

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dorkface posted:

So far, I have:

1) Installed nvidia-settings
2) Installed nvidia-glx
3) Went into xorg.conf to change "nv" to "nvidia"
4) removed and reinstalled nvidia-glx multiple times

All to no avail. Is there anything else I can do?

You can configure this manually in a few short lines; hate to ask, but you did restart your Xserver after those changes?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Jo posted:

I'd really like to go back to a 64-bit version, but I'm not sure I could stand not having flash and not being able to run Steam under Wine. When will it finally be worth it?

Why can't you join the rest of the world and run some 32-bit applications on your 64-bit OS?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

dorkface posted:

Well, lets see:

1)Ctrl+alt+backspace to get out of xserver
2)Ctrl+alt+f4 for a terminal session
2)sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
3)sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
4)sudo pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change "nv" to "nvidia"
5)Alt+f7 to get back to X
6)Login

I assume I didn't do that right?

X only restarted between 1 and 2, not after step 4 where you needed it.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ColdPie posted:

My question is whether I should install the 64-bit version of the distro I use or the 32-bit version. I've heard 64-bit is better for systems with more RAM, and systems with smaller amounts of RAM should use 32-bit versions. Beyond that, I really don't know which to choose.

A few relevant specs:

Processor: Core 2 Duo
RAM: 1 GB

Net, 32-bit will have less potential headaches. Unlikely any tanginle benefit of running a 64-bit kernel or applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

invid posted:

I'm trying to create a shell script to mail me after rsync has been done.

I've added

code:
mail -s backup done [email]email@domain.com[/email]
messagebody
But in order to send a mail out, I need to send in a ctrl-d input. How do I do that in a script?

pipe or redirect the message body in, and mail will see the EOF. a "heredoc" works too:

code:
mail -s 'backup done' [email]email@domain.com[/email] <<EOF
messagebody
EOF
(the EOF used in there heredoc example is just marks the beginning/end of the heredoc, not some magic way of specifying eof/control-d; you get that for free when you use any form of redirection)