Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Couple questions about win/nix sharing.

1. I have a windows box with a external drive connected to it (D:\) How would I go about mounting that on the linux side? I have the shares setup already on the windows side.

2. After I mount the external drive, would I should be able to write to it even though it's NTFS correct? Since everything should be done through the Windows OS?

lljfk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Looking for a media player that can support 6000+ songs in a playlist, and can submit tracks to last.fm, as well read idv3 tags.

Amarok chuggs on a playlist that's that big. Anyone have any suggestions?

My experience with xmms is that it doesn't read the tags correctly.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

sund posted:

I just added 7K to my mpd playlist, took about a second. No chugging here. I use a GTK2 client, but there's some Qt ones you can take a look at.

There's a separate daemon client called mpdscribble that will submit info to last.fm

So wait, mpd = command line player? Seems the mpd website is down, I wante to check screenshots

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

lilbean posted:

If you configure Amarok with either the Postgresql or MySQL backend it should have no problem with that amount of files (at least I didn't with PSQL).

Will it matter if it's on the local machine or should it be on a seperate machine?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Does window resizing work painfully awful in gnome for anyone?

I'm running FC6 with nvidia drivers installed.

Any attempt to resize/spawn windows is unacceptably slow.

Any tweaks or hints to make it better?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
What's the best way to rename a user account? (so it changes the profiles/permissions correctly as well?

I used lusermod --login=newlogin oldlogin but I don't think that worked too well.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Smackbilly posted:

That should be fine. Permissions and file ownership are done by user ID, not username, and the above lusermod command doesn't change the user ID. What went wrong when you did that?

Well it didn't load my background (not a big deal.) But now it seems samba shares are broken. I edited the smb.conf "valid users" field to the new username. Reloaded/restarted samba (even restarted the computer.)

I cannot connect to it.

edit: ahh forgot to use smbpasswd -a newusername

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 14, 2007

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Fedora 7 Spin - Does this mean we can be expecting a codec-ready release?

lljfk

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I asked this once before but I didn't make note of it.

I want to setup a quick ftp webserver in linux for one user only (ie: user: bob password: saget, this user isnt created on the local system already)

It's for my music directory, so I can access it from work.

This is temporary and I'll remove it within 8 hours.

I need the quick explanation on how to set it up, and remove it. CLI commands please.

Thanks

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Can amarok connect to an itunes media server from a nas?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
How would I connect to my D-Link NAS? (DNS-323) It uses Samba.

I'm trying to mount it through fstab.

code:
//192.168.0.254/Volume_1	/weaksauce	smbfs	auto,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user	0 0
inside /root.credentials I have.

code:
username=myusername
password=mypassword
Any ideas, the above isn't working.

Edit: The NAS uses samba so im assuming i use smbfs

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 22, 2008

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Lucien posted:

Can you see the NAS when you open network:/// with nautilus? Do you get an error message when you do
code:
$ mount -a
?

I didn't see it in in nautilus. But I changed smbfs to cifs and it worked fine.

I have one last question hopefully someone can answer.

It's in regards to mysql.

Basically i want to create a database called mysql.

username internet
password mypassword

can someone work me through the steps to getting this done through terminal?

I already created the database, and possibly the user. but the commands to delete created users would help.

Thanks.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Quick question, can grub see vista? Installing a fairly new version of Ubuntu on a XP/Vista drive.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
I have a qnap nas, can someone tell me which command checks to see if there are any smart failures or anything? I think one of the drives are dying but the QNAP OS isn't picking up.

When I run cat/proc/mdtstat, below is what is returned. I can't tell which drive is rebuilding? I assume one is and the one is is actually the one that is failing because its taking a ridiculous amount of time.

code:
[~] # cat /proc/mdstat 
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [multipath] 
md1 : active raid5 sda3[0] sdd3[4] sdc3[2] sdb3[1]
      23412214272 blocks super 1.0 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/3] [UUU_]
      [>....................]  recovery =  0.2% (23122944/7804071424) finish=69633.0min speed=1862K/sec

md322 : active raid1 sdd5[3](S) sdc5[2](S) sdb5[1] sda5[0]
      7235136 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md256 : active raid1 sdd2[3](S) sdc2[2](S) sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      530112 blocks super 1.0 [2/2] [UU]
      bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

md13 : active raid1 sda4[0] sdd4[33] sdc4[32] sdb4[1]
      458880 blocks super 1.0 [32/4] [UUU_U___________________________]
      bitmap: 1/1 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk

md9 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdd1[33] sdc1[32] sdb1[1]
      530048 blocks super 1.0 [32/4] [UUU_U___________________________]
      bitmap: 1/1 pages [4KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Hmm looks like smartctl isn't installed by default. is the result for th erecovery. I take it the 4th drive is failing which is sdd ? or at least rebuilding anwyays.

code:
[~] # mdadm --detail /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
        Version : 1.0
  Creation Time : Wed Mar  7 06:13:40 2018
     Raid Level : raid5
     Array Size : 23412214272 (22327.63 GiB 23974.11 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 7804071424 (7442.54 GiB 7991.37 GB)
   Raid Devices : 4
  Total Devices : 4
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Fri Aug 24 13:20:17 2018
          State : active, degraded, recovering
 Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 4
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 1

Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 512K

Rebuild Status : 0% complete

Name : 1
           UUID : 5a3d4cb8:acd4aea6:d7897954:679d3a7a
         Events : 3092

Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8        3        0      active sync   /dev/sda3
       1       8       19        1      active sync   /dev/sdb3
       2       8       35        2      active sync   /dev/sdc3
       4       8       51        3      spare rebuilding   /dev/sdd3
Would there be any reason why the drives are rebuilding? I had no notification of any sort of failure. Also its 8TBx4 Drive setup, realistically how long would it take to rebuild. I want to know if the drive is actually failing (rebuilding slow as poo poo) or just the rebuilding process generally takes super long.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Sheep posted:

sdd3 is the device being rebuilt. As to why that's happening I'm not sure, I've never had any devices fail on an mdadm raid so haven't gone through that process yet.

You won't get any email alerts without the --monitor flag set to email you. Check your system log to see what happened.

FWIW 40something days for an 8TB rebuild is really bad and I'd try to figure out why your speeds are so slow, 1862K/sec is like a fiftieth of what you should be getting with what I'm assuming are 8TB WD Reds.

Thanks I'm just assuming the rebuilt drive is actually failing or about to fail and SMART didn't pick it up. I am processing a RMA for that drive.

In regards to replacing it, does anyone know if I should be copying the partition table from another drive prior to re-inserting it? I was following this guide: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/replacing-a-failed-mirror-disk-in-a-software-raid-array-mdadm/

I know that's for RAID 1 but I seen a couple search results saying its the same for RAID 5 but they don't really list the reason why. I would of thought just by re-adding it all that stuff is done automatically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

telcoM posted:

I think you said the RAID array is in a QNAP NAS box.

Even if the QNAP user interface does not yet show the disk as failed, it will definitely go into :supaburn: mode if you just yank a disk out without any advance notice. And if you insert a new unpartitioned disk, the system should generally more or less automatically partition it as required. If you partition it manually before inserting it, the user interface may just overwrite your work... or it may think everything necessary has been done, and later get wedged since something behind-the-scenes but essential like a QNAP bootloader did not get copied to that disk after all.

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/online-raid-capacity-upgrade

Turns out that in the Storage Pool Management window, there should be a Manage -> Replace Disks One by One function. I think you should use it if the user interface has not yet detected the disk as faulty.

And here are QNAP's instructions for replacing disks in the event the UI does identify them as failed:

https://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/89/0/a-hard-disk-drive-error-is-shown-on-the-nas-what-should-i-do

Disclaimer: I don't own a QNAP device, but I've remote-administered one at work. (Very remote: had I needed to go to the device physically, I'd have needed a passport, a visa and a plane ticket. So the motivation to be careful was definitely there.)

So the array detects the new disk and is rebuilding. Starts recovering at like 40MB/s then slowly drops to like 10k. mdadm --examine and --details on the raid array and the disk show its completely healthy. (minus the recovery disk.) I think the disks went to sleep in all honesty. I've replaced the actual disk that it's rebuilding so it's not the disk that is the issue, mind you there were no errors detected at all to begin with.

I checked the min/max speed limits and those are fairly high. Pretty annoyed at this point, QNAP support is only M-F 9-5m. Ugh.