Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Honestly if it's not too difficult to take the laptop apart, I would look into buying a better supported m.2 wifi card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

the part of this that actually seems weird is, why would you need to sandbox discord if it's a program the user chose to install? That mechanism exists so that arbitrary JS from random websites can't pwn your computer. it doesn't make sense in the context of electron

I think a sandbox is reasonable when you consider Discord is presenting you arbitrary data from remote users and there is no guarantee of perfect security/sanitation by the Discord servers.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
No it's not. You should be able to use chown on any file that is owned by your user or a group you're in.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think SCALE is Debian based. The Debian python3-pip package has recommends of build-essentials and python3-dev. Probably pulling in a bunch of recommends of recommends.

I would tell you to install with the apt argument "--no-install-recommends". Also if you need packages that will only be used by one user, you can install pipx in addition to/in place of python3-pip.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I assume that's because the auto update service is centralized in PackageKitD and Discover is a PackageKit front end or consumer. Used to be that there were a lot more alternative front ends.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with openSUSE, it's just a combination of SUSE the company focusing on enterprise, and.the distro having lower market share to start out with in the English speaking world.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

cruft posted:

I'm going on 8 years now of multiple btrfs filesystems in production with zero problems.

Cephfs however has been a briar patch of opportunities for data loss.

How is bcachefs's implementation of tiered storage, disk groups, in practice? https://www.patreon.com/posts/tiering-is-dead-17110871 Is it reasonably performant and easy to use?

Edit: I was looking at some guides to bcachefs and was a bit confused to see that rebalance and scrub aren't yet implemented. I haven't been following development too closely, but I would have expected one of the two to be implemented in the last 5 years.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 1, 2023

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I assume Fedora is still using DKMS and it takes some time to finish compiling the kernel module for each installed kernel.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

weird that it doesn't block the dnf command until it's done

I looked it up and it might actually be akmods and not DKMS (they do the same thing). Looking at fedora's akmods systemd units, it also tries to build modules at shutdown -- blocking shutdown until it's completed, but bails after 5 minutes. It can also run a systemd unit at boot time, but doesn't appear to block multiuser or graphical systems targets. But I'm not sure if that is enabled by default.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If you're wanting to make the location available immediately after your graphical login, I think you could write a systemd user service or startup application that runs "gio mount URL" where URL is something like sftp://example.com. But I don't have a graphical Linux install to test.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Each executable file in Linux has a data segment, a code segment, and then as it runs memory (RAM) is allocated on the heap and stack. For security code should only be running from the code segment so it's harder for malicious code to be downloaded and run from the data segments or memory. It looks like kernel based virtualization (i.e. uses the Intel VT or AMD-V professor extensions) don't need to execute code from memory, but userland/software only virtualization does need it.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Can you do GPU passthrough with consumer NVIDIA cards now? I thought that was all locked to their datacentre cards.

Pretty much all modern AMD and Intel platforms support IOMMU so that a single VM can connect to a PCIe device. However if you want multiple the base OS and VMs to access the 1 PCIe device at the same time, that won't work. NVIDIA's solution on enterprise cards is to present as many virtual GPUs (vGPU) so that each VM thinks it's getting a full card that it has exclusive control of.

Edit: The gist of how IOMMU works is that it virtually reparents the PCIe device you select at the root of the PCIe hierarchy. Then you blocklist Linux from bringing up the device with the kernel driver. After that you can pass the PCIe device to a single VM at a time.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 10, 2024

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I look the manual commands for btrfs and find it scary. Are there distro blessed tools that will give tooling and a minimal front end? I get the impression that OpenZFS is much more mature with tooling.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Try running your curl command with --verbose and giving us the complete output. Be sure to redact your personal IP address, because it will print it a bunch.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 3, 2024

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
xz is a compression algorithm. I believe the xz files containing the object to be injected were part of the tests to see if the built code could uncompress it (and then compare the output to a hash of the uncompressed file) or see if a recompressed version of the file was as compressed or better than some previously recorded result.

You need some sample files to be able to test for correctness and that there have been no performance regressions, but those types of files are expected to be totally benign.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 30, 2024

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
In theory you could test performance of hard to compress data by creating a file from /dev/random or similar, but that would not be representative of real world performance. And isn't the level of repeatability that you need in testing.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
One final point. Automated testing of software works on highly crafted scenarios with a well defined previously computed result and each test case relies on as little of the target platform as possible. In my bad example of using target system randomness to test, how do you even know the platform's kernel gives you sufficiently random output?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Klyith posted:

And there are many old threads on the Manjaro forums pointing this out. Arch and Endeavour switched in 2021. There's one where a Manjaro maintainer actually sees it and replies that they'll hold it until exfatprogs has all of the functions of exfat-utils. What functions? :shrug:

Even debian doesn't carry exfat-utils anymore. And they still package exfat-fuse.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I remember seeing some distros developing web interfaces to their installers where you can configure in a browser on another system. Having trouble finding examples, so it might be that it's a local web server and the graphical installer launches a browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
The user running the mount command probably needs read/write access to /dev/loop-control and /dev/loop[0-7]. In Debian those files are owned by the user root and the group disk. So in theory you could add a user to the group disk (then log out, log in) and it would work.

Edit: Oh I see you can mount but the files in the image have owners that you can't edit. It sounds like bindfs fuse mount should be able to map/present specific users as owners of the files.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 30, 2024