Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

GringoGrande posted:

When I'm chatting with gaim and use an emoticon, they never show up for my friends. Any suggestions on what might be wrong, or is it just that gaim can't handle the SA emoticon pack properly?

Uh.. do they have the emoticon pack installed too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

J Corp posted:

I have an old Dreamcast kicking around in my closet, and I've read some stuff saying it's possible to install linux on it.

It is not possible to install Linux on a Dreamcast.

It is possible to run Linux on a Dreamcast.

I would not recommend it as your learning platform. Suck it up and install it big-boy style.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Bob Morales posted:

Fedora Core

How do I reconfigure networking?

netconfig?

Failing that, system-config-network-tui.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

68k posted:

Watch a(ny) movie file in real-time ASCII by using this command:

This is dependent on quite a few things, such as having mplayer installed, having aalib installed, and having mplayer compiled with aalib support.

If you want to do the same thing simpler, aaxine is yet another option.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

m5 posted:

I've been using wireless network cards with Linux for years :confused:

Ditto. A poo poo-ton are supported.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Professor Science posted:

Not in bootable installation media, they aren't! Well, a few are, but not many at all. I don't think my 2200 BG worked the last time I tried, for example.

That's entirely dependent on the distribution you're using and what drivers are available at boot. It has nothing to do with Linux.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Begby posted:

I want to echo the first X lines of a large file. Basically I want 'tail' but for the beginning of the file instead of the end. Is there a command for that?

What is the opposite of a tail?

head

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Not really trying to do anything, was just curious which other big name software apps don't support Linux, as you mentioned iTunes and Photoshop being iffy. Any others of note?

Unless explicitly stated, there are NO Windows applications that are supported on Linux.

If you can deal with the various alternatives that are available on other OSes for Windows applications, by all means use them. But for the love of god if you need to run specific Windows programs, just run Windows.

As far as Wine has come (and it has come a LONG and impressive way), new Linux users trying to get Windows applications working fully and properly on Linux almost always ends in pain and frustration and is just not worth the effort.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DeadBird posted:

what is the cheapest wireless G capable, Linux compatible wireless card?

I picked up one of these for about $30 at Microcenter. It works perfectly with the madwifi driver and wpa_supplicant.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Furd_Terguson posted:

Thanks to some help earlier in this thread, I now know how to burn DVD's via a CLI, but I would like some help to automate this process a little more.

Phaser.

I really should get around to writing a new version one of these days.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Big Big Moon posted:

1. What does it mean to mount a filesystem?
2. What is an unmounted filesystem?
3. Why can't we unmount the root system?
4. How does Linux keep track of different filesystems when they aren't in use?
5. What is a virtual terminal and what are they used for?
6. What is swap space and how does Linux use it?
7. What's the difference between LILO and GRUB?

1. Mounting takes a device and establishes a layer upon which you can read and write to it, usually in the form of a directory.
2. Uh... one that hasn't been mounted.
3. For the same reason you can't unplug a hard drive while the computer is running and expect the OS to continue functioning.
4. It doesn't. Why would it need to?
5. For your purposes a virtual terminal is the text console. That's all you really need to know. I could get into a long discussion about how it's serial console emulation but I won't, and it's unimportant.
6. Essentially RAM on disk.
7. Two different software packages that do the same thing with different feature sets.

You know you could have answered every single one of these questions with five minutes on Google.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

My server suddenly decided to die. When I tried to log in it kept saying access denied, so I rebooted only to be faced with a message informing me that the inittab file was not found. So now I would like to recover some data (web and mysql stuff) before installing ubuntu on it but right now I only have a fedora 7 disk on hand (downloading ubuntu right now). I got into the shell but it won't let me mount /dev/sda2 because /etc/fstab was not found.

Am I screwed?

What? No. The only thing /etc/fstab does is tell the system how and where things should be mounted if you don't tell it. The fact that you're getting this error means all you're doing is typing 'mount /dev/sda2' by itself. Where do you expect it to be mounted?

Type 'mount /dev/sda2 /mnt' and feel the magic.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Err... are you using some kind of goofy charset on sda2?

Two things:
1. What pops up in /var/log/messages when you try to mount using the command I gave you?
2. What does 'fdisk -l /dev/sda' say?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

There is no /var/log/

:psyduck: What the hell kind of bullshit system are you using?

indigoe posted:

/dev/sda2 system linux LVM

Well that somewhat explains your mounting problem. What does the output of vgscan look like?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Is there an lvscan?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Okay so do 'ls -al /dev/VolGroup00/' and paste what that says.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
No that's not necessarily bad, that just means it wasn't automatically set up.

Run these in the following order:

1. mkdir /mnt/recover
2. lvm vgchange VolGroup00 -a y
3. mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/recover

Then check in /mnt/recover and see what's going on.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

indigoe posted:

Yes! That did the trick. Now, I was told that probably the /etc directory got wiped, but as far as I can tell it's still there. So at this point I'm not sure how to proceed.

edit: I found 3 password files. passwd, passwd- and passwd.OLD. The first 2 has 100+ usernames I don't recognise. passwd.OLD has 1 account (mine, in addition to all the system accounts) but accounts missing.

I don't know what to tell you there, but the entire drive should now be in /mnt/recover so you can get the stuff you need. Your initial post says you needed to get mysql and web stuff. While the web data location can vary based on server setup (It's /var/www/ on my systems), your database(s) should be in /mnt/recover/var/lib/mysql.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
The files passwd and passwd- should be identical or close to it. I can't say for sure where passwd.OLD came from.

indigoe posted:

Yes, I can access the whole contents of the drive. But I would also like to find out what happened and why I have these unknown passwd files, and it would be nice if I could recover inittab somehow.

If inittab is still around it'll be in /etc but you can use find to see if there are any other instances of it lying around.

As for what happened, I guess you can poke around in /mnt/recover/var/log but all you said originally was that the server "died" without much detail, so I can't offer much more than that.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

invid posted:

Is it possible to resize the partition on the fly (ala. partition magic)?

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Please try using Google next time.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

invid posted:

By on the fly, I meant with the "/" still mounted.

I guess its not possible, after searching around :( Looks like I've to get a new HDD just to mount /vz.

You can always just make an iso with some of the free space and mount that.

Hacky, but it'll do what you need.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

dfn_doe posted:

It blows my mind... I hole punched 5.25" disks to make them doubles sided as a kid. I'm going to go back to feeling old now.

Hole-punching was okay, and sometimes I was able to do a passable job with scissors, but I eventually ended up getting an actual notching tool designed for that purpose. It was awesome.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Crush posted:

Is it possible to go through a file and find the highest (greatest) first number, and of those lines find the highest second number, and of those lines find the lowest third number and then finally the lowest fourth number?

Like, would I be able to find '720 352 0 62' out of the file below?

Probably not the most efficient solution, but it works.

cat foo.txt | perl -e 'my $cnt = 0; while (<>) { if ($_ !~ /^$/) { ($cola[$cnt],$colb[$cnt],$colc[$cnt],$cold[$cnt]) = split(/\s/,$_); $cnt++; } } @cola = sort {$b <=> $a} (@cola); @colb = sort {$b <=> $a} (@colb); @colc = sort {$a <=> $b} (@colc); @cold = sort {$a <=> $b} (@cold); print $cola[0] . " " . $colb[0] . " " . $colc[0] . " " . $cold[0] . "\n";'

This assumes, of course, your file is named foo.txt.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 9, 2007

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Scaevolus posted:

code:
cat foo.txt | sort -g

I went nuts through the sort man page looking at options convinced there was a better way to do it, and couldn't come up with one.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 10, 2007

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

ashgromnies posted:

I've tried googling for this and can't find it...

In a bash script, how do I print a line break?

Doing

echo "bla\nnew line" prints the \n literally, rather than as a linebreak. What am I doing wrong?

You didn't look very hard at all. The -e option is on the very first page of "man echo"

Please at least make a little effort before asking for help.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

deimos posted:

Get Ubuntu or Fedora, this forum (and myself) lean towards Ubuntu.

You don't learn Linux installing either of those things.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Gvaz posted:

I do have an issue though, is there a good alternative to Microsoft Money or whatever it's called? They want to do business information on the computer.

GnuCash

Gvaz posted:

Additionally, Isn't there a browser for linux that works like IE for those dumb websites who only work under IE rather than FireFox?

Thankfully sites that outright won't let you in unless you're using IE are getting even more rare these days. I wouldn't worry about it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Toiletbrush posted:

Hotmail's however still not accepting any mails.

Are you getting rejection notices, or are they just not getting there?

Also, looks like your MX record for papersaloon.com is hosed:

code:
;; ANSWER SECTION:
papersaloon.com.        3600    IN      MX      10 jerkwad.tomservo.eu.papersaloon.com.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

rugbert posted:

code:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail  or so
dmesg shows
code:
ext3: No journal on filesystem on sdb1
ext3: No journal on filesystem on sdc1

Looks like you might be trying to mount an ext2 filesystem as ext3. Try running tune2fs -j /dev/sdb1 and mount it again.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

J. Elliot Razorledgeball posted:

For whatever reason my LAN connection shows up as eth1

Because you have two network cards. Turn off the one you're not using.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Megaman posted:

I think you can take the device out of /etc/networks/interfaces, the device should be active but will not have networking or detect anything, you can also do this through -> networking in the gui.

You seem to have some intuitive knowledge of what distribution he's running because your answer drat sure isn't valid on many Linux systems.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

How do I turn it off in ssh?

Err... this is OS independent. Check your BIOS.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Well back to the original question - how can I just get my system to run ifdown eth0 every time it starts up?

ifdown eth0 isn't going to magically make eth1 turn into eth0 you know.

But you can stick it in /etc/rc.local if you want.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

almostkorean posted:

What's the easiest way to get a file from my windows machine to a SunOS machine on my network? I can ssh to the Sun machine, but I don't know how to transfer a file to it.

WinSCP.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

HPL posted:

Too much hardware stuff going on. I'm using Nokia PC Suite in Windows, which needs USB access and I'm also doing video editing as well, so I need every ounce of horsepower I can get. Games too.

USB works fine in VMWare.

Games, however, would probably be best served in a native environment.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SynVisions posted:

It's fine as long as you keep up with security updates.

It's sometimes recommended to disable root login via SSH (Set PermitRootLogin no in /etc/sshd_config), other than that I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you don't have bad passwords.

Unless you like watching your logs fill up from bots trying to brute force your poo poo.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

lord funk posted:

Should I 'turn it off' or should I just uninstall it?

We don't do any Web-server stuff, so it isn't really needed in the install.

Question asked, question answered.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Magicmat posted:

Quick question, I'm trying to make, by hand, the package open-vmware-tools on Ubuntu. During ./configure it complained about not finding the library liburiparser, so I used synaptic to install liburiparser-dev (which also pulled in liburiparser itself.) However, ./configure still complains about not finding it. The library is installed in /usr/lib/liburiparser.so, which seems fairly standard, and the headers are in /usr/include/uriparser/. I assume it's not finding the headers? Here's the exact error I get:

code:
checking for uriFreeQueryListA in -luriparser... no
configure: error: uriparser library not found or is too old. Please configure without Unity 
(using --disable-unity) or install the liburiparser devel package.

The problem here isn't necessarily that it can't find the library. The problem is that it can't find the specific uriFreeQueryListA function in the library.

What version of uriparser did you install?

EDIT:

Magicmat posted:

OK, I think I have it figured out. I had to manually install a newer version of uriparser than was included with Ubuntu, and use the --includedir command above. Now it's complaining about other packages, but at least we're making progress.

Ding.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 5, 2008

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

vanjalolz posted:

I'm trying to set up NAT on my solaris box with ipf.

Ehh, this is a Linux questions thread, but I can try to help.

Are you trying to connect to the NAT box itself via SSH, or to a box behind it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

vanjalolz posted:

I'm connecting to the actual NAT box with SSH, and it wont let me

Instead of redirecting it to localhost, try redirecting it to a physical interface of the NAT box.