Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Powercrazy posted:

Linux is hard <:mad:>
You REALLY need to read some documentation.

Powercrazy posted:

How do I figure out what version of Linux I'm running? Is there a command equivalent for "sh ver" I want to know what kernal, what flavor, etc. From random commands and the use of the --help, I think I'm running some version of slackware, but...
I can't possibly fathom how you don't know the answer to this question. In any case, the answer is that it depends. For Red Hat and Red Hat-based systems, do cat /etc/redhat-release to see what you're running. If you think you're on Slackware, the existence of /etc/slackware-version will confirm it. As for the kernel (not kernal; we're not using a C64 here), have a look at the uname command.

Powercrazy posted:

I guess its "making" it, but then I see an error message and the process fails.
And I also can't understand how you think you can be helped without specifying the details about what kind of error you're getting. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

UltraRed posted:

It's not specifically PHP related. At least, I don't think it is. I've tried mysql -u username -h hostname -P 3306 -p databasename from clients in several locations (in case there was a firewall I didn't know about).

What does netstat -anp look like?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

bitprophet posted:

Yea, the port and address(es) it's listening on is more likely to be the culprit than a firewall rule. Oftentimes MySQL is bound to localhost -- I know I do this on every production box I get my hands on because having it open like you're wanting is a pretty awful security risk unless you have the specific need.
Yep. I'd asked for the netstat output because my thinking is right in line with yours.

bitprophet posted:

Not an ipchains/iptables expert but none of those rules look like they'd be causing a problem.

Could also be tcpwrappers.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

deong posted:

Great news! Adobe Flash has officially updated to version 10, and this time across all cross platforms.

I sure as hell hope they've finally fixed the response times for the "On (Press)" sound playback.

gently caress.

EDIT: Of course they didn't.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 15, 2008

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The Remote Viewer posted:

Why does Linux keep the Read-Only flag on files I copy over from CD?

Because you're making a copy of the file. It's the same as if you were making a copy of a read-only file on the hard disk.

Seriously, what kind of question is that?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

hobofood posted:

Sorry to be so ignorant, but where would I do that?

Either httpd.conf or .htaccess in the directory.

You can not by ignorant by, you know, looking at some documentation. Google exists too.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

The Apache error.log would have told you whether it was "denied by server configuraiton" (apache config) or "permission denied" (filesystem, selinux, etc), or the absensce of a particular option (+FollowSymlinks).

I'm pretty sure I know what the exact problem is. It's certainly a permissions issue, but it has nothing to do with the file or the symlink.

The file is created and saved in the user's home directory. I guarantee the user under which Apache is running is not the same user and thus, would not have read access to the directory where the original file is saved.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

moros posted:

So my box does not have a stable OS from which to install linux, which leads me to my questions:

-Is there a way to install linux on there? I was thinking I could connect the HD to a working XP box and wipe the HD and then install linux to it, but don't know if that's possible or not.

Why do you believe that Windows is required to install Linux? It's its own operating system, not an application.

You should probably do a little research into what Linux is and does before you even consider installing it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

moros posted:

So my box does not have a stable OS from which to install linux

So my thinking was if I plugged in the HD to a working computer, I could use that computer to wipe the HD, install linux, and be good to go.

I'm not sure what POSTing is, so can't really tell you about that.

Do not install Linux. You don't know enough about computers.

I'm not being a dick, I'm being honest. If you can't figure out that you do not need a working Windows installation to install Linux (and are even ready to go so far as to remove the hard drive and put it in a different machine just to format it), you're going to HATE Linux and it will be pretty much unusable for you.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Weatherman posted:

Does anyone know of a text-based instant messenger client program?

http://tinyurl.com/794ekz

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

Kinda loses some of the bite when your search results suck.

Really? The first result is pretty damned comprehensive, I'd say. Especially considering it lists every follow-up suggestion as well as a bunch of others.

What's that about losing bite now? :rolleyes:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

If a waiter recommends every item on the menu, has he done a good job? What if his name is "linuxmafia" and he includes every fly-by-night entry?

If the question is "Do you know of any seafood meals" and the waiter rattles off every last seafood meal on the menu, then he has done an excellent job.

Your argument is stupid and you should really stop.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

TheHeadSage posted:

If I open the MySQL server to the outside world by poking a hole in the firewall, is this just asking to be raped by hackers? I've locked everything else down, and it only needs to be open for a couple of weeks.

Yes.

If it only has to be open for a few weeks, chances are you know where traffic to that port will originate. Restrict traffic to the port based on the source IP addresses that will use it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

NZAmoeba posted:

Not sure if this counts as a simple question, but here goes.

We run a test environment with a bunch of different hardware. Nothing we use is mission critical, but in the event of a hardware failure it can mean a few weeks work lost.

We're looking to set up a backup system where we have a server with a whole bunch of hard drives (probably a NAS) that pulls data off of the windows/linux/solaris boxes on a regular schedule with pre-set credentials. The sticking point seems to be solaris compatibility however.

We have another environment where something similar happens, but that's controlled by a fairly expensive piece of software, we're seeing if it can be done cheaply, possibly even with just a bunch of cron jobs, but I really don't know enough about solaris apart from the fact that it makes everything around it incredibly expensive.

Is the solaris file system capable of being copied over onto a linux (probably redhat) box without complication?

Set up SCP via crontab and pre-installed certificates?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Beast485 posted:

I'm new to Linux and am fairly techie (Windows), but I have an Asus G50v-A1 laptop. I have a 320Gb HD as my main drive and have a 160Gb slave in my second bay and I want to dual boot with Ubuntu, but run Ubuntu only on my slave. When I boot into the Linux GUI and start to format the drive, I get different errors related to not being able to complete the format and install. Unfortunately, I did not write down the exact error messages, but if I get any advice I will make sure to write them down if they come up again.

Hi I got some errors but I don't know what they were, can you help me?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

bitprophet posted:

The "GNU/Linux" implies it might be Debian related

No.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

bitprophet posted:

You're right, though, that uname will print GNU/Linux on at least some other distros, so my assumption based on just uname was incorrect v:shobon:v

The information is pulled from the kernel, not the distribution.

In any case, whatever system it's running, it's an ARM port.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

covener posted:

Not the GNU/Linux part, that's baked into the GNU uname binary when it's built.

I'm referring to the fact that it's not asking the distribution what kernel is running, but that it's talking to the kernel directly.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

LuckySevens posted:

What's a good linux distrib that you can choose to boot up alongside windows?

Any of them.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Pablo Bluth posted:

cat file | grep -v ^#

And you wouldn't do grep -v ^# filename because...?

Why are you even bothering with cat?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

JHVH-1 posted:

I would just open the file in vi and do something like this to remove #'s :

:%s/^#\+//g

Except that it was asked how to accomplish it using grep.

For scripting purposes, no doubt.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Zom Aur posted:

I don't really have any other source for this than "heard somewhere on the internet", but I think you should at least do one pass with /dev/urandom before you zero it.

Ignore this. One pass with zeros is fine.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Zom Aur posted:

killall -9 NetworkManager should do it, but do a ps ax|grep network just to be sure. :)

Protip: A process with the name "NetworkManager" will not show up under "ps ax|grep network".

You'll need to use -i with grep.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

JHVH-1 posted:

Use gnu ddrescue or myrescue instead. They are designed for disks with bad sectors. They can also get more data off your drive than regular dd by dividing bad blocks into smaller segments and retrying to get more data.

Did you even read his post? He's trying to destroy the data, not recover it.

Severed posted:

My question is, are GUIs pretty popular now with most Linux distros or do users still find themselves using non-gui terminals to do filesystem maintenance and all that stuff?

You don't learn Linux by using a GUI. You learn the GUI.

If you ever have to touch a server you're not going to have a graphical interface to hold your hand. Learn the command line. Don't try and shortcut it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
There sure are a lot of people who need to keep downloading those Linux ISOs long after they've installed Linux. :v:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

madkapitolist posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a general temperature/ cpu temp monitor utility type of program for ubuntu?

First of all, you need to get out of this mentality. When referring to non-bundled software, "For Ubuntu" is the same thing as "For Linux", except for (possibly) the method of package management. That would also imply it would be "For Debian" as well, or at least could be. But that's not the point. Forget the fact that you're running a distribution when asking for things like this.

That being said, conky should do what you need. It's nice and super customizable and you can embed it in your desktop.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Shaocaholica posted:

Looking for a "safe" video card for running various flavors of linux. This will be going into an older Pentium MMX PCI only system so some newer cards don't work. I'm not sure where the cut off is but I know that Geforce4s don't work. I was thinking more along of the lines of older 8mb to 32mb cards.

GeForce 4 is PCIe and/or AGP.

Just get any rear end-old PCI video card and you'll be fine.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

DizzyBum posted:

Say I want to write a little shell script that tells a user what quotas on a server are above a certain percentage. I don't really have a problem writing it, but what I get stuck on is: where do I actually PUT the script? Obviously I can put it anywhere on the server the user has access to run scripts from, but where should I put it? Is there a standard for this sort of thing?

It should go somewhere under /usr. I'd probably put it in /usr/local/sbin.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

lemonslol posted:

Hey can someone post some linux vs windows graphs? Just like every non joke one you have? I need these for my presentation on tuesday and want to make sure I havnt missed any vital ones.

Translation: This is a meaningless question without context.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Bob Morales posted:

Is there a good review of all the linux webservers out there?

It seems apache is over kill for what I might want it for.

Apache is what you want. You can strip it down or expand it out to whatever you need.

What do you "might" want it for?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

fronkpies posted:

Just a couple of questions about linux as I have never used it before.

I'm building a comic book reader out of an old laptop (Compaq Presario c300) that is currently running xp, now I'm wondering if I should install something like drat small linux so it is a small and quick as it can be, is this a good idea or should i just stick with xp?

Also is there a way in linux to just have it boot straight into comix or something?

If you're unitasking, Linux is a pretty good way to go. Though if you've never used it before, you might want to save yourself the frustration and just stick with what you know.

Linux would make a really slick system for your project, though. Strip it to the absolute bare-bones, then make your comix app your window manager. It'll boot straight into it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Ziir posted:

I installed openssh-server.

This was a pretty important part of Moose's post:

Moose Milkie posted:

do a sudo netstat -natlp | grep 22 and see if anything comes up.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Misogynist posted:

What the hell is wrong with you people?

What do you mean "you people"? :colbert:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Ziir posted:

code:
rudolf@Clausius:~$ sudo netstat -netlp | grep 22
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      0          14593       1988/sshd       
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      0          14595       1988/sshd       
I've turned on public key encryption and generated a key for the server machine and now I'm able to do ssh localhost from the server and everything seems to work fine. On my client machine I've also generated a key and then I moved the public key (ziir.pub) to the server and added it to authorized_keys and restarted OpenSSH (dunno if this was necessary) but connection is refused. Any ideas?

code:
Navier-Stokes:~ ziir$ ssh 10.0.1.4
Permission denied (publickey).

Navier-Stokes:~ ziir$ ssh rudolf@10.0.1.4
Permission denied (publickey).
I'm trying to connect from within my network for now and I'll deal with connecting from outside when I get everything working nicely.

Permission Denied is NOT the same thing as Connection Refused. :sigh:

Your key config isn't working. SSH is responding on the network just fine.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
I need some help. I'm confused as poo poo with this and I'm hitting nothing but dead ends.

I have a USB device from SmartHome. It shows up perfectly fine in lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 10bf:0004 SmartHome

And it's detected on boot with no issues at all, running under the HID driver. Here's my problem, though. This is a small embedded system and it lacks things like udev or a huge modular kernel, so hardware detection needs to happen without udev. I'm having trouble figuring out:

1. What's an easy way to map a usb device to its associated /dev entry?
2. Why the gently caress does the kernel assign every HID device to hiddev0? When you look at dmesg output, this shows up:

[ 106.396000] generic-usb 0003:04F2:0111.0004: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.10 Device [CHICONY USB Keyboard] on usb-0000:00:1f.2-2/input1
[ 109.504299] generic-usb 0003:10BF:0004.0005: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.00 Device [SmartHome SmartHome PowerLinc USB E] on usb-0000:00:1f.2-1.1/input0
[ 114.179813] generic-usb 0003:051D:0002.0006: hiddev0,hidraw3: USB HID v1.10 Device [American Power Conversion Back-UPS BR 800 FW:9.o4 .D USB FW:o4 ] on usb-0000

Each of them has the same hiddev (hiddev0) but different hidraw entries. Additionally, the device I'm trying to work with is listed above on hiddev0,hidraw2 but actually responds on /dev/usb/hid/hiddev1.

Can someone please help me pick this apart and fix this poo poo?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Pram posted:

Does anyone know why this wouldn't work with incrond?

code:
/home/blah/ IN_CREATE tr -d "\015" < $@$# > $@$#-new
It just doesn't do anything. The logs say its executing the command but it doesn't create a new file. I made incrond send the files to a bash script after loving around with it for an hour but seriously idgi.

You can't expand shell characters without a shell script. Programs like cron directly execute the command; they don't spawn a shell to execute the command. So anything that would need to be parsed by a shell won't parse. That's why it doesn't work.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Carthag posted:

We have a bunch of machines that each run jobs at various times.

we'd like a centralized way of managing them.

most jobs are specific to a user/machine.

Set up a network share, store all cron configurations on the share, and point cron on all machines to get their configs from the share mount. Just make sure to mount your shares BEFORE crond starts.

Or just do some kind of daily sync.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Sizzlechest posted:

I guess this is technically a Windows question, but what's the best way to add support for EXT4 hard drives for Windows OSes?

An ext4 filesystem should be backwards-compatible with ext3 and 2, so a reader like ext2read should be able to handle it.

...but you'd have known that if you could have bothered to do a simple Google search for ext4 windows.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Sizzlechest posted:

I apologize for not explaining each and every step that I did prior to asking for help.

...except that SHSC rules tell you to do EXACTLY THAT. Imagine!

Misogynist posted:

Yeah, this is almost completely wrong.

An ext4 filesystem that's been upgraded from ext3 does not use extents, and will be mostly-readable with an ext2/ext3 utility. An ext4 filesystem that's been created from scratch with extents uses a completely different underlying format from ext2/ext3.

While I will admit not being too terribly familiar with ext4's backward compatibility (and that is why I said "should be backwards compatible" and not "is backwards compatible", Ext2Read supports ext4's extents and I THINK Linux Reader does as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Zom Aur posted:

That's not what you said though.

Um... Really?

Accipiter posted:

An ext4 filesystem should be backwards-compatible with ext3 and 2, so a reader like ext2read should be able to handle it.
Incidentally that happens to be exactly what I said.

Zom Aur posted:

If ext2read has support for ext4, then yeah, that's what you should've said from the start.

Yeah, that I'll agree with. But that IS why I suggested it.