Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Lee Van Queef posted:

Is there a way to backup iPhone apps and app data in Linux?

Anything you can scrap together would be mediocre and flaky at best, and not work at all at worst.

Run a minimal Windows install with iTunes inside a VirtualBox VM and just use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Alman posted:

This is kind of a noob question, but I'm working on Solaris 10 without root privileges and I need to identify what pid is listening on what port. I know there's a tool called lsof, but it's not installed and I don't have the access to install it. So for example, say I want to find out what port an Apache server is listening to (without looking at the config files)?

Is there something wrong with netstat?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Sojourner posted:

I'm looking to build a linux router appliance that will act as a layer 4 router.

For ease of explaining, let's suppose I have a linux PC with 3 nics, acting as a router. eth0 is plugged into a switch, eth1 and eth2 are plugged into seperate wan connections from two different ISP's. I would like all udp traffic on port 1337 and all tcp traffic on port 79 (any destination server) from my local network sent out eth1, and all other traffic will be sent out eth2.

Some extensive googling and RTFM'ing didn't shed any light on the problem. I'd accept the answer that what I'm trying to do is not possible.

Something like this should do the trick:

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p tcp -s $IP_RANGE_OF_INTERNAL_NETWORK --destination-port 79 -j SNAT --to $IP_OF_ETH1

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -p udp -s $IP_RANGE_OF_INTERNAL_NETWORK --destination-port 1337 -j SNAT --to $IP_OF_ETH1

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s $IP_RANGE_OF_INTERNAL_NETWORK -j SNAT --to $IP_OF_ETH2

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

spankmeister posted:

Any of the major ones should work. It's generally a good idea to try out a few different ones so you can familiarise yourself with the differences between them. (most notably package management and location of various settings etc...)

Here are a few good ones:

-Ubuntu has become the ubiquitous Linux distro over the past few years, it gets a lot of flak from the purists but it's actually pretty good. (Although the new interface they've introduced sucks). It's Debian-based so much of the stuff that applies to Ubuntu applies to Debian as well.

-Debian, many distro's are based on Debian and it's one of the oldest distributions that's still going strong. Very popular for servers.
It's like Ubuntu but rougher around the edges. Debian is one of my old favourites.

-Fedora is still one of the more cutting-edge distro's and quite popular. Worth checking out if you want something Redhat-ish but also want modern packages.

-CentOS is a free clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and if you plan on learning an "enterprise"-quality linux. (I support RHEL systems at work). Downside is that the packages it uses are older (but more stable).

-OpenSUSE, another big player on the "enterprise" market is SUSE, and OpenSUSE is the free version of it. I don't care much for SUSE myself but some people swear by it.

-Arch Linux. Once you've familiarised yourself with one of the above, try this one out. It's a bit more "roll your own" than the other ones but it's fairly popular and has good community support.

All of these except for (Debian and Arch) are awful, awful choices. And SuSE is the absolute worst distribution to ever have been poo poo out of someone's rear end in a top hat, because it drat sure wasn't "developed".

You don't install Fedora/CentOS or Ubuntu if you want to "learn Linux". You install Slackware. Or Debian.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Actually I think this might be solved.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Nah, I test with telnet myself. But thanks for the info.

I've actually figured out what the problem is. It's not actually relaying, there's a problem with the restrictions on which IPs are allowed to send email. The server's IP recently changed and I think something got bungled in the transition. Thanks though.