Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I have a gPC2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883118003) that I would like to use as a Linux server AND a firewall such as Smoothwall/m0n0wall. I have tried to install Smoothwall and use it as a regular linux distro but I'm missing too many niceties such as apt-get and a GUI. However, I do like the dedicated firewall features such as detailed logging and web-based administration. Is there a solution that I can somehow turn an Ubuntu install into something more like Smoothwall/m0n0wall?

I want to be able to run the odd Quake/Doom server as well has have the box handle firewall duties to divide my network into private and guest zones using a multi-NIC setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Installed lubuntu. Holy smokes.

I just looked up lubuntu. It looks perfect for my VIA C7 with 512mb ram. However I have ubuntu 11.04 on there already running just the way I like it, albeit a bit sluggishly. Is there a way I can convert it to lubuntu and retain the ability to switch back if I don't end up liking it?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ClosedBSD posted:

There is no lubuntu-desktop package, if that is what you are asking. You are going to have to get lxde and the associated packages separately, and then install the lubuntu theme after that.

By the way, can I ask what hardware and configuration you have on your C7 setup? I have an old C7-D at 1.5ghz with S3/unichrome graphics, but even with the openchrome drivers (I last tested this a year ago) it has terrible trouble driving a 1600x900 desktop running a simple tiling desktop.

I have an everex gPC2 which has the same CPU as yours but instead of the integrated graphics I am using a PCI voodoo3 2000 in order to reclaim 64mb of shared video ram. However, both graphics setups are equally slow and I can only run ubuntu classic desktop or unity 2d. My monitor is a 720p tv running at 1360x768. It's usable as long as there is no flash running.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

So if I install this package, I should be able to select it at the login screen and then it will be EXACTLY as if I were running lubuntu?

e: OK it seems to be working... however, Ubuntu uses vino for remote desktop and there is no equivalent installed under LUbuntu (vino requires gnome I think). I tried installing tightvncserver but after I authenticate with my client I can't manage to make a connection. It was working fine with vino under Ubuntu.

What's the best VNC server to run on a low powered box? There are so many to choose from. FWIW I'm running the TightVNC client on my Windows machine.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 3, 2011

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Gargladdy posted:

Can you guys help point me in the right direction as far as setting up ftp access and such? Like I said I'm very new to linux, and I'm very open to suggestions on what distro to use, things to install, etc.. This box will most likely be sitting next to my tv running with no monitor (the only "monitor" I have is my tv, so I doubt I'll be using it much for an OS, just mostly running to host those files)

I am pretty sure Ubuntu has a setting where if you want FTP, you just click a checkbox. You might want to set something up like I have where I do run a GUI on the server, but I administer it using VNC over the network from my Windows workstation. No need to have a keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked up after it's booted into the OS.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

While it's been suggested you do a full ubuntu install so you can VNC in and open terminal windows I'd suggest just installing ubuntu server and ditching the UI entirely. All the things you'd want to setup (samba, ps3mediaserver, etc.) are configurable via config files anyway. Install byobu on the server and have it automatically start when you connect.

I think there is nothing wrong with using a full Ubuntu install and adminning by VNC. It'll "just work" and isn't that the point?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is there a best way to get Office to run in Fedora? I just installed Fedora on an old MacBook Pro that is no longer getting OSX updates. From what I've seen about Bottles is that everyone just recommends using Office 365 instead or doing something janky like running a headless RDP server to a Windows VM running Office.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I guess as an alternative, how is LibreOffice/OpenOffice/FreeOffice with compatibility these days? It's been decades since I've tried but last I did some things like tables didn't work perfectly. Is there a clear winner of the three?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mystes posted:

OpenOffice has been dead for years. LibreOffice is mostly fine but there is always a risk of it screwing up the formatting of a Word document, especially if the formatting is complicated, so I'm not sure I would recommend it if you absolutely need 100% roundtrip compatibility with Office

The web version of Office365 at least probably won't screw up your files, but it is missing a bunch of small functionality so if you're doing something esoteric you may run into things it can't do.

If you need perfect compatibility and don't want to use the web version... you just have to run office in a vm.

Is there an older version of Office that works better with something like WINE? I would really like to do application level virtualization rather than hardware virtualization.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mystes posted:

I think I was using office 2010 in wine for a while and I think 2013 also worked, but if you need 100% compatibility to the point where you don't want to use something like libreoffice is a version of office that old really going to be sufficient for what you need?

I think so. I'm using some old rear end office on my High Sierra MacBook and that seems to be fine compatibility wise.

E: I think I'm going to try the web office first.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 13, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm trying qutebrowser and I quite like it so far. However, text rendering has lots of artifacts that feel related to fractional scaling or rendering at non native resolution. I can't find any search results with those keywords-- does anyone else use qutebrowser and know how to fix this? I'm running Fedora 39.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think Debian has the best 32 bit support of the modern distros. Give it a shot! You can always use it to play doom and quake on the go.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Another thing that I'm not sure might address the low resolution thing is to try using a window manager like i3 or sway instead of a desktop environment. 1) I think the GUI widgets are generally smaller so you get more of your screen for content, and 2) you will need to do less of micromanaging maximizing and tiling windows manually.

I haven't actually done this so I don't know if this is a solution, but it's something on my todo list.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I am having some troubles identifying the source of input lag on my AMD laptop when playing Street Fighter 4 on Steam. I am getting 200+ FPS in the benchmark but I guesstimate the input lag to be in the 100s of milliseconds. In other fighting games, the input lag feels present, but not as bad as in SF4. I don't have a way to measure the input lag.

I'm running Fedora with Sway and a few sources say that Wayland introduces a lot of input lag, but those sources are not very rigorous. What is the best way to get to the bottom of this? I am willing to try X11, but I don't really want to do a complete OS reinstall.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm going to guess it's sway as I run fedora with KDE Wayland no issues and played Sf4/5 and 6 with minimal input lag. I've been playing fighting games across multiple platforms for 20+ years, so while I can't give you numbers I'm pretty confident I'd notice.

You should just be able to intall a window manager that supports x11 to test if it's Wayland or not though without switching distro. I3 or xfce would be the light options.

It turns out the major source of input lag was my MadCatz TE fightstick, whether it was hardware or driver. For some reason when my stick was set to LS, there was a delay added to the inputs. Changing the stick to DP mode seems to have resolved the lag. I'm guessing it's a software implementation to simulate analog movement using a delay.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Did any Fedora Sway users here notice a change in behavior in their waybar doubling in height in the last few days after updating? Mine has and I can't figure out why. I don't think anything has changed in my waybar config or style.css.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Kibner posted:

I'd imagine there is a way to login via the shell without the window manager ever loading, which would let you then delete or fix the offending config files.

Ctrl-Alt-F1~F6 usually works to get you to a terminal.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My AMD Framework burns about 1% battery per hour sleeping. Not great, but it's ok if I intend to use it the next day and also since it charges quite quickly.

I want to switch over to making it hibernate instead of sleep but it's a big pain for me to repartition and configure the button and lid close triggers.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

There are laptops that have better Linux support, if you want to try that again. Frameworks have had some power management issues with Linux (I think partly related to the USB firmware, but those modules are removable) but not as bad as you’re seeing; more like 10% a day IIRC from mine. System 76 is an all-Linux vendor that uses well-supported hardware that reportedly has great battery life.

I get approximately 1% battery loss per sleep-hour on my AMD Framework 13 running Fedora 39 with Sway. I leave 2 x USB C, 1 x USB A and 1 x HDMI modules in it overnight. 1% per hour loss is not the best efficiency, but it's ok if I plan to use the computer the next day.

Another thing that makes it bearable is that the computer charges really fast from a charger this small: https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Charger-Compact-Foldable-MacBook/dp/B09C5RG6KV/ref=sr_1_5
It can also trickle charge off my 18W Pixel charger or 20W iPad charger if I want to go even smaller or lighter.

Overall I get around 6 hours of video watching or 9 hours of light use.

This is my first real committed desktop Linux experiment and I'm rather pleased with the frequency of bug fixes. In the 5 months that I've had it it's noticeably become better and better to use.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm using Fedora and on a recent dnf update, Chrome stopped working in Sway.

I think it's this issue because there is a workaround to set an envvar on the cli that works. However, I want to use the launcher in Sway.

https://issues.chromium.org/issues/329678163?pli=1

I tried to downgrade to the last known good Chrome but I'm getting some error that there is no version found. Alternatively I don't know how to add the command line flag to the launcher.

What else can I try?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Voodoo Cafe posted:

copy chrome's .desktop file from /usr/share/applications to $HOME/.local/share/applications/ , then you can edit the lines starting with 'Exec=' to include the flag you want

so change

code:
Exec=/path/to/google/chrome 
to something like

code:
Exec=/path/to/google/chrome --my-commandline-flag
There may be multiple 'Exec' lines so you would have to change them all.

In addition, i don't know if Sway reloads these files automatically on changes, so you might have to log out and log back in for changes to take effect

This worked. Thanks!

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm excited to see that Linux 6.9 will have support for larger console fonts. Is it possible to see if 6.9 actually includes the larger fonts or is it up to someone else (distros?) to provide them now that the support is there?

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.9-Larger-FBCON-Fonts

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Another reason to choose Fedora is that it is an officially supported distro for the Framework 16. You'll be able to get support and find more people with the same problems as you in the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

Several wine games started to fail to launch with an error after a recent update, and upon investigation I rediscovered that I've been running wine-staging for some time (with maybe some wine-hq repositories?). Was probably due to a good reason, ages ago, but nowadays I'm sure 9.0 will do just fine. I'm on Ubuntu, whose 'wine' package is still 5.0, so I installed wine-stable and was about to uninstall wine-staging & wine-devel and trying to recall how to nominate which version of wine it defaults to when I saw that removing the package will install a whole butt-load of new stuff and raise the install by half a gig.

What the everliving feck have I done to my install, and how do I start to un-fudge it?
(Using screenshots as the copy/paste is rudely large on these forums, there's no way to collapse text is there?)

Alternatively, have you tried just using Steam as your emulation layer? For some games it just works where wine doesn't or needs a lot of config.