Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
My Ubuntu Edgy box seems to have died today. I was gone for about five hours, and when I came back the monitor wouldn't come out of powersave, like it wasn't receiving a signal. Then I noticed the hard drive light was on steady, though I couldn't hear the drive. I thought my new CPU fan had died but it was still working. No response to ssh. Caps lock didn't toggle the light.

After a while, I turned it off. Now I get nothing when I turn it on - no beeps, no video, no hard drive access, pings time out. Next I'll try flashing the bios, then disassembling the machine down to motherboard+processor and see if I get beeps. But I have a few questions before that.

Any idea what it was doing or what broke (or what I broke)? I've never seen a machine this unresponsive.

What are the panic keys in Linux? Ctrl-alt-backspace, any others to try in this situation? I've had it lock up before, but always in the gui. It was folding at the time, also running gaim, an idle azureus, and shareclip, which hasn't caused any problems before.

Also, if anyone has an alternative to ShareClip, I'd love to hear about it. It works fine but it's a bit indy and unsupported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Smackbilly posted:

If you're not even getting a POST or at least a POST beep, your problem has nothing to do with Linux and no panic keys in the world will help you. Incidentally, how are you planning to flash your BIOS if your machine does not show you the BIOS screen?
The last time I saw the hard drive light was before I turned it off. I was looking for keys that might have helped there, for future reference.

Fans spin fine, but I can't tell if the hard drive is spinning. It's a mini-itx system, with soldered-in CPU, so I hope it's not the motherboard. I see what you're saying though.

"Flashing" was a bad word. I mean taking the battery out.
Thanks. I thought I read that was optional and not in Ubuntu. I'll have to dig out a keyboard with sysrq next time.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Programming/kernel question: Can someone tell me how the Linux USB system has changed in the last five years in order to make a user-space app no longer able to write to USB devices with ioctl?

I'm currently debugging an embedded program that needs to communicate to a few USB devices. We're using some backend code from GNU Radio from 2003, specifically, fusb_linux.cc and its supporting files. It goes something like this:
-Search bus for our USB device (ok)
-Open USB device, get usb_device* struct (ok)
-Blindly pull file descriptor from the struct (ugly, but seems to work, gives a fd of 3 or 5 or something)
-Write a USB Request Block to file descriptor with ioctl (fail, "no such file or directory")

I'm thinking this might be related to USB devices moving from /proc/bus/usb to /dev/bus/usb . The dev machine is running Ubuntu 2.6. /proc/bus/usb is empty. The machine has usbview, but it gives an error and can't see anything.

I tried a few mounting workarounds that I found online, but they failed.

Is there a more likely problem? Is there a workaround to the above? Can this all be done with the built-in linux/usb.h and related libraries now?

edit: okay, this might be a problem with our device, since a very similar device works on the dev machine. One more minor question, if you know about this stuff: Why does our <linux/usb.h> not contain usb_submit_urb() ?

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 4, 2008