Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Can anyone help me get my Panasonic HD Plasma to work nicely with xorg?

It's native resolution is XGA 1024x768, its 720p native (rectangular pixels make it 16:9 apparently). So far I can get it to work out of the box using Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Beta's xorg-xserver-via at 1024x768 but there are a few problems with it.

1) The system doesn't think its 16:9, so all videos playing on it are output with a border. I can tell mplayer to use 4:3 which sort of fixes this though.
2) This is the more important and worrying part. If I have a window open and it's not moved for a minute or two, it leaves a residual outline of the contents much like a burn in effect that plasmas tend to suffer from if a stationary image remains there for a long period, but in this case its after a minute or so. It even remains after a reboot but does eventually fade away. Can this be fixed with a different Modeline?

I'm thinking refresh rates but I'm not to familiar with using anything other than a standard CRT with linux.

3) Not TV related, but the system shits itself whenever something tries to use OpenGL. DRI is active and running fine according to the log. But as soon as I attempt to execute glxinfo or any other program that tries to access a GL context the system completely locks up and requires a reset. Again this is with the "via" driver. I compiled the openchrome server as well and it does exactly the same thing. With the Vesa driver I don't get OpenGL support at all.

The system is connected to the TV via a VGA cable and is using the Via X-Server (the motherboard is an EPIA SP12000). The TV is a Panasonic TH42PX60.

Any ideas? Point 3 isn't that important but the video output concerns me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

Can anyone help me get my Panasonic HD Plasma to work nicely with xorg?

It's native resolution is XGA 1024x768, its 720p native (rectangular pixels make it 16:9 apparently). So far I can get it to work out of the box using Ubuntu Fiesty Fawn Beta's xorg-xserver-via at 1024x768 but there are a few problems with it.

1) The system doesn't think its 16:9, so all videos playing on it are output with a border. I can tell mplayer to use 4:3 which sort of fixes this though.
2) This is the more important and worrying part. If I have a window open and it's not moved for a minute or two, it leaves a residual outline of the contents much like a burn in effect that plasmas tend to suffer from if a stationary image remains there for a long period, but in this case its after a minute or so. It even remains after a reboot but does eventually fade away. Can this be fixed with a different Modeline?

I'm thinking refresh rates but I'm not to familiar with using anything other than a standard CRT with linux.

3) Not TV related, but the system shits itself whenever something tries to use OpenGL. DRI is active and running fine according to the log. But as soon as I attempt to execute glxinfo or any other program that tries to access a GL context the system completely locks up and requires a reset. Again this is with the "via" driver. I compiled the openchrome server as well and it does exactly the same thing. With the Vesa driver I don't get OpenGL support at all.

The system is connected to the TV via a VGA cable and is using the Via X-Server (the motherboard is an EPIA SP12000). The TV is a Panasonic TH42PX60.

Any ideas? Point 3 isn't that important but the video output concerns me.

Anybody got any ideas for the modeline problem?