Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dec 4, 2004

Z-Bo posted:

On his Planet KDE blog, James Ots mentions If you're in the USA it might be illegal to download my file, so this file is only for people who live in free countries. Or at least semi-free countries, like the UK.

What? I don't understand this. Is he kidding? I know there are USA restrictions on exporting crypotography still, and also restrictions via DMCA, but I fail to see how either of these apply here. Any ideas?

I'm not sure specifically what he is referencing, but my guess would be software patents. Not that it makes it illegal however, but there are potential liabilities with it. My guess is he just doesn't know what he is talking about here.

Also the exporting encryption is pretty much moot now. The only real restrictions are to "terrorist supporting states" such as Cuba, Iran etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 4, 2004

Jo posted:

I saw someone ask this, but no reply. What is a good image viewer for Linux (Debian) that supports animated gifs, lots of image formats, and fit to screen/center capabilities?
I'm not liking Eye Of Gnome. (I use KDE.)
KView isn't great, either.
QuikShow does what it's supposed to, but I need more.

Edit: Cornice and ximg don't work too well, though they seem well suited.

I've been happy with Gwenview.

Dec 4, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah, I wish they were though. There's something so romantic about the whole thing. I know a lot of it was just the placebo effect, but everyone really believed that their gentoo install was so amazingly fast. I'm sure the real gains were microscopic (hence eliminating stage 1 entirely), but drat what a cool idea.

If you actually do want to build everything from source, there is always Linux from Scratch.

Dec 4, 2004

Jo posted:

What are the chances running apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; will totally gently caress my system?

It is highly dependent upon your distribution and the specific version. For instance if you're running Debian Stable, not too likely. If you are running Debian Unstable or even Testing the chances are much higher. The way to check if you'll screw something up is to run something like apt-listbugs, and/or monitor the the appropriate venue for your distribution where people report when poo poo breaks (such as for Debian the mailing lists debian-users and debian-devel and possibly specific lists for programs you are particularly dependent upon).

Dec 4, 2004
What Debian packages do I need to get man pages in section 2?

For instance I was trying to learn about timers today, "man time" has a see also to "getitimer(2)". Then a call to "man 2 getitimer" simply returns to entry. I've already installed the docs for gcc, binutils, and even the package "manpages", but it seems I'm still missing some.

Edit: I'm running Lenny if it makes a difference.

Edit2: I've got another question. I was playing with the command time. On an online manpage it said there was also a GNU version of time. Curious I tried "time --version" and got an error. Then I looked at my packages, saw GNU Time was not installed, so I changed that. Then this happened:

$ which time
/usr/bin/time
$ time --version
bash: --version: command not found

real 0m0.001s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s
$ /usr/bin/time --version
GNU time 1.7
$

What the hell is going on? I'm running bash, and according to "man bash" time is not a built-in function.

6174 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 29, 2007

Dec 4, 2004

sc0ticus posted:

2. What latex package do people prefer?

Go with TexLive based packages. The alternative, tetex, is no longer maintained upstream.

sc0ticus posted:

3. Does anyone have any good tutorials on advanced emacs functionality (specifically, I'd like to integrate latex and learn how to do advanced programming tricks like commenting out a whole section automatagically)
I'm not an Emacs guy, but I understand that AUCTeX is the standard way to integrate LaTeX into Emacs.

Favorite apps:
Amarok, Vim, Akregator. I also spend lots of time in KDevelop (which has some shortcomings, so I wouldn't call it a favorite), Konsole, and Iceweasel (Firefox rebranded for Debian).

One program I recommend you look at is Valgrind. It is excellent for finding memory issues in your programs.

Dec 4, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

:words:

Not even close. gFTP is a FTP client, not a graphical front-end to a FTP server. Not to mention most FTP daemons keep their login credentials separate from rest of the system by default, making your comment about /etc/passwd crazy.

Z-Bo, look at ~/.gftp/bookmarks. It should have your stuff there. The comment at the top of the file says the password is scrambled. I'm not sure how, but they say it is not secure so a little source diving I'm sure can reveal the answer.

Dec 4, 2004

jstultz posted:

Ideas?

I'm not sure what is going on, but looking at the package page it appears it should be there. Maybe you could try getting that individual package directly and installing it with dpkg?

Dec 4, 2004

Bonus posted:

So my question is, what are some really good resources (online and books) for really getting to know linux?

If you want to get really hardcore on the system call level, the book "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment" by Stevens and Rago is very good.

Dec 4, 2004
I've got a directory that is roughly 60 gB that I'd like to backup on DVDRs. In the end I'd like the discs to be easy to access (ie mount the disc and then be able to pull off a single file). Is there some program that will divide up the data into disc image size chunks (and preferably create the disc images as well)? Of course the packing of the files into the image need not be optimal in any way. The naive way of just adding files until no more fit and then starting on the next chunk would be more than sufficient.

Dec 4, 2004

6174 posted:

I've got a directory that is roughly 60 gB that I'd like to backup on DVDRs. In the end I'd like the discs to be easy to access (ie mount the disc and then be able to pull off a single file). Is there some program that will divide up the data into disc image size chunks (and preferably create the disc images as well)? Of course the packing of the files into the image need not be optimal in any way. The naive way of just adding files until no more fit and then starting on the next chunk would be more than sufficient.

To answer my own question, it appears that scdbackup is exactly what I was looking for.

edit: After using this at work today, I can attest that it is a very good option for simple backups.

6174 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 4, 2004
I'm using GNU screen to log the output of some programs (in particular lftp). This works great except the log file is full of control codes. LFTP writes out partial information about each file (ie what percent uploaded/downloaded). To do this it issues a control code (looks like carriage return) and overwrites the line. The screen log captures everything, the over written line, the control codes etc.. The problem is I can't print out the log files since it confuses the printer and results in having something like five lines printed on top of one another. This is of course illegible.

To complicate matters slightly more, if I'm typing a command that gets logged, and hit backspace, the logfile records the incorrect typo, the backspace control code and the correct letters. So unfortunately a simple removal of all the control codes won't work.

Is there some simple way I can strip out these control codes that will result in a readible log for printing?

edit: If there is not a simple way, can someone point me to some documentation that clearly describes exactly what these control codes should be doing in this context?

edit2: I found a suitable enough solution. Basically using sed I first replace carriage returns with line feeds, followed by another trip through sed to remove lines that are empty or only white space. It turns out for my situation this works well enough, but it might not completely work with different input files.

6174 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 9, 2008