Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dumb as hell question:

I'm trying to install some nvidia drivers, and I need to kill the x session before I can do this. How do I get to just a terminal in Ubuntu (7.10 I think)? I tried "init 3" which worked for me in CentOS, but doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Col posted:

Confirming this. Go to System -> Restricted Drivers Management and you should have the option to automatically enable the proprietory nVidia drivers from there.

If it doesn't display there, then open synaptic (System -> Synaptic Package Manager) and search for a package like nvidia-glx-new or similar.

If you just install the drivers yourself, you will need to reinstall this every time your kernel gets upgraded which will be a pain if you're not comfortable with Linux.

I tried this. I try to click enable and it tells me "The software source for the package nvidia-glx-new" is not enabled. Then it does nothing.

quote:

etc/init.d/gdm stop

But you're probably better off finding a pre-packaged version of the drivers, which will automatically keep them up to date and make sure they're properly integrated with the rest of your setup, as well as being much easier to install.
I tried this as well. It dumps me to a black screen, I can't even enter terminal commands.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

How do I remove an existing Linux (EXT3) partition and add the space back to the Windows (NTFS) partition, with out losing data on the NTFS partition?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The final pieces of hardware for my home server arrived today.

I'm looking for a nice headless server that will mostly be just a file server. But I would also like to have the ability to run a little home lab for some development work.

Any reccomended distros? I'm wavering back and forth between Ubuntu and Debian. I've got a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu but it's given me no end of problems.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

thebigcow posted:

FreeNAS 10 just came out with full support for the FreeBSD hypervisor. You could be an early adopter, entitled to all the joys that come with it.

How much of a pain in the rear end will it be if I want to run a local game server or two on the box?

I'm not sure what level of comparability FreeBSD and Linux have for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I ended up going with FreeNas 10.

The Interface is slick as hell and other than loving my initial install by putting all 3 HDs at the Boot Volume it has gone pretty well.

Looks like there is still some issues with the Docker Integration though. About half of the listed images fail to install saying they are missing the image.

For the moment it is doing its job of replacing my failing old Qnap appliance.