Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hi goons, I've recently started to muck around with Linux distros on a few laptops. One of them I currently have Ubuntu DDE running. My problem is that I want to install another distro but my BIOS must be corrupt, as it doesn't let me change the boot order. I can get around this by opening up the laptop and deleting the partitions, but is there a way I can get the machine to reboot and pick up the USB install media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

UEFI? Can you enable and boot to the EFI shell?

You can also try to use efibootmgr to reorder or remove boot entries from the NVRAM.

I should have made myself more clear - I'm loving clueless about lots of this poo poo, I'm out of my Windows comfort zone.

I don't know what any of that means!

Edit: OK I've installed the efibootmgr thing - is there a GUI version of this??

Edit 2: Right, I've gone through the instructions for changing the boot sequence. Running efibootmgr once I've done my edits shows the USB is the first boot entry, but when I restart the machine it just seems to boot straight from the SSD again. Running efibootmgr after a restart shows that the boot order has reverted. Am I missing a step?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 11, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Even if you can't get into the bios, there might be a separate boot order menu. It usually is at f8 or or f11 or f12 and on my lenovo laptop it is behind a hardware button that needs a paperclip to reach.
And I once used a computer with a corrupt bios for quite some time, it only lost the settings when I turned off the computer but kept settings for software reboots.

There also should be a way to chainload your usb-stick from whatever boot manager you current distro uses, but I never worked with that one.

Sorry for the delayed response, all goons who answered the call.

F12 is the boot menu shortcut, I'll give it a whirl here, thanks peeps!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Right goons, I'm a complete Linux noob. I started farting about with distros about a month ago, trying out literally dozens in a VM and some on an Ivy Bridge-era laptop. I like desktop environments like Plasma (like Kubuntu or Ubuntu DDE) and Cosmic (Pop_OS!).

Anything without a baby's first steps GUI scares me. I like Ubuntu and most of its derivatives, but each distro usually has something in it that triggers my Windows brain.

The main thing that grinds my gears is that the close button on a maximised screen doesn't have an infinite target. Most distros have this on the top right like Windows, even if there's no global menu bar or whatever it's called at the top.

I know there are some customisations I can use to hack this into place, but from my understanding this often mucks up the appearance of close buttons and may not work. I know it might seem minor but it really sets my teeth on edge when it happens.

Any global solution, desktop environment or setting I can tweak to make my dreams come true?

I know keyboard shortcuts are an answer, but I'm a mouse man!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I've never heard the term for it before, but 100% gently caress any GUI that doesn't do this. "Oh yes window, I want to be able to mouse past the physical X in the corner and use those last few pixels to be able to click on the regular title bar, I use that feature all the time." --a direct quote from nobody ever.

100% gently caress that, I'm assuming it's a piece of cake for developers to code this and just a pain in the brain for toddler goons like me to fix. Any suggestions my peeps?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hi friends, it's me, clueless Windows boy who's faffing around with Linux distros on a laptop with little idea of what I'm doing. Enjoying just seeing the little itty bitty differences, and scratching my head about some design choices.

Anyhoo, I quite like this Majaro GNOME business, but I have a problem - just connected my Bose Bluetooth headphones to the laptop. It starts off playing audio well enough but within a minute or two it gets fuzzy, skips seconds and sound like a 4Kbps MP3 from Limewire or something. Is there any way to troubleshoot this or is it a crapshoot between different distros and whatever hardware it's connecting to?

I have tried different tracks on different local audio players, listening to music on YouTube and the same issue happens. Audio through the laptop speakers works as expected.

Edit: Ack, gently caress me. I was about to post that Pop!_OS had cured the problem. It certainly did much better than Manjaro, but it poo poo itself eventually. For reference, my dirty Pixel 6, Pixel 5, iPad Pro whatever and wife's iPhone 13 all handle the Bluetooth without issue, so I don't think it's the headphones.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 3, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you know what Bluetooth chipset you have? You should be able to use the command lsusb and see what it reports there if you don't already know.

Thanks for the responses peeps. lsusb gives me:

quote:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b3b1 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd TOSHIBA
Web Camera - HD
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0930:021c Toshiba Corp. Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I think I tried Fedora and wasn't overly keen on it so if I can read about installing a different Bluetooth solution I'd like to try. Currently listening to music on Ubuntu 21.10 which I installed last night - it's solid so far.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was kind of expecting to see some odd Broadcom chip there, but it does look like that is a relatively old Atheros chip. If Ubuntu is handling it fine then you could stick with that, or maybe try to figure out what looks different in the setup with Ubuntu compared to distros where it misbehaved.

As much as I am not a fan of Intel, I tend to go with their networking stuff due to generally good compatibility and support.

How would I figure out what looks different? Is there another website I should be bothering people on rather than making GBS threads up this thread?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

you aren't bothering anyone, this is pretty much a hobbyist thread anyway

I'd be looking at version numbers to start with, as well as if the broken distros report details differently(lsusb -vvv for max verbosity) and if you can see anything fishy in dmesg/journalctl

the biggest problem with being a newbie in linux is that it generally takes a bit of digging and learning how things should be before you can really spot things being broken yourself, so feel free to spam this up. if you have a butt ton of text to paste maybe remember that pastebin exists

Thanks kind goon. I installed Endeavour OS which is another Arch-based distro. BT audio is perfect on this, but I really don't have a loving clue about the rest of the system. I really need to get reading how to install something as simple as a dock. I've been watching random YouTube videos and reading bits and bobs here and there, but I don't have any experience using the terminal etc. Like pastebin, who the gently caress is this?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Agreed.

I don't remember what package management tool Ubuntu uses, but one thing I did before replying was to open the package manager on my system and search on "Atheros" and "Bluetooth," and look at what packages I had installed versus what was available. I also did a Duckduckgo search on "Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth linux" to see what popped up.

I'm surprised Manjaro BT audio was bollocks and Endeavour OS is perfect, as they're both based on Arch. Although Pop is based on Ubuntu and the latter was perfect, the former hosed. Jesus Christ why am I doing this to myself!

I think I'll try Manjaro again and see about installing pipewire - that's the new hot poo poo, yeah?

Edit: Jesus gently caress, Manjaro is working perfectly now. I know Bluetooth is a stack (heh) of poo poo, but I had problems with Manjaro and then Pop!_OS one after the other - so why is this now sorted?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 4, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Serious question here: how come so many Linux distros still require a lot of typing to get something installed that's not in a repository? Surely double clicking and running through an install routine is easier for the majority of people?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

other people posted:

In Fedora and I think most major distros if you double click an RPM or whatever the distro's Software app pops up and asks if you want to install it. Click Okay and you are done.

Which distro and software are you trying to install?

Thanks all for the responses, they make sense.

I've got EndeavourOS running in a VM at the moment (installing on bare metal alongside Windows 11 didn't go so well - I get some sarcastic but funny message saying that some kind of request was made but no one cares).

Take NordVPN for instance. There's an entry in the repo that installs, but when I launch it form the app drawer, nothing happens. I went to the Nord website and downloaded https://repo.nordvpn.com/deb/nordvpn/debian/pool/main/nordvpn-release_1.0.0_all.deb, but I don't know what the hell to do with that.

I'll keep trying - I'd like to try out a Linux distro on my main desktop for a while but it'll be difficult until I feel more confident about the basics.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Goons, I'll never be able to run Linux as my main desktop OS. Not only do I not know poo poo about really using it, I also have to consider the needs of my wife and stepson who need the computer working as expected. They need to boot straight into Windows and just have the familiar login screen and everything in its right place, such as Office. I can't dick around with everything when that's the case.

So I'm relegated to faffing about with Linux distros in VMs, which I'm OK with. Zorin OS seems pretty nice but I've noticed its kernel is a year old (and behind the Ubuntu 22.04 release upon which it's based). Just wondering - is there a way to update the kernel? I know there's no point in this use case but it's just to play about with stuff without ruining my household's life.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thinking of dual booting a Linux distro alongside Windows 11. I didn't think it was feasible since I have BitLocker enabled with Windows, but Copilot tells me I can disable BitLocker, give Linux its own partition and install, then re-enable BitLocker when I log into Windows.

Firstly, is anyone doing this and if so, any problems? Secondly, I am a complete Linux noob so I need baby's first Linux distro - I have played about with distros in the past but not outside a VM. Zorin OS is quite nice in a virtual machine. Recommendations?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ugh, this PC is used by my wife too so I might have to abandon the idea. She works from home sometimes and I don't want to potentially mess up her entire day with something not agreeing with Windows and Linux.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Well that's the end of that little thought experiment. Thanks anyway goons!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

mmkay posted:

Have you looked into WSL? Not sure what Linux specific things you want to play with.

Windows Subsystem for Linux? I've heard of it but have no clue what it is or how to use it.

There's nothing I need Linux for, I just like to try new things. VMs may just suffice for now though. My machine is a Ryzen 5600x, 16GB RAM on an NVMe drive. Performance even only giving the VM two cores and 4GB RAM is surprisingly decent for mucking around with.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Computer viking posted:

You could always just disable BitLocker. If this is a desktop in your house, the threats it protects against are not super likely, and kind of pale compared to everything else they can do given unfettered access to everything in your house in the first place.

I know it's unlikely to have it stolen but there are some work-related documents onboard so I do want to keep the disk encryption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mucking about with an Ubuntu 24.04 install on a laptop. I have a USB fingerprint reader that works perfectly on Windows but not Linux. I tried to install fingerprint libraries using various instructions but no joy. Thoughts?