Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

I have the following line in the rc.local file of my linux router:

ntop -b -c -g -n -z -d -L -i "eth0"

When I look at the webpage ntop serves, sticky hosts and local only (-c and -g) aren't in effect. If I kill ntop and restart it with the above line, then I get the proper settings. Any idea how to get it going properly on startup?

Also, any way, short of sticking another NIC in the computer, of not having the traffic from files served from this machine show up in ntop? If I'm serving a bunch of stuff from the router, I don't want it messing up my Internet usage stats.

There are ways to filter what gets reported: you can choose at least what port you don't want to see. I believe that it's under the admin section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble mounting a cifs share on a debian box that we have at work. It houses our wiki and I want to offload the backups I make. At this time I have 2 other systems centos boxes that are also connected to the share and can see files.

When I try to connect with the debian system I get:

code:
mount: block device //<ip address>/LinuxBackups/ is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount block device //<ip address>/LinuxBackups/ read-only
Here is the command I'm using
code:
/bin/mount -t cifs -o  username=<neg>,password=<neg>//<address>/LinuxBackups/ /mnt/samba
On the windows side it seems the folder is marked as 'read only' and if I change it, it reverts right back to 'read only'. Which I figure might play a role in this issue.

Thanks!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone,

I have a local yum repo for our servers at work, and I use rsync to grab updates from the university of Oregon. However, much of the time is spent grabbing packages that I don't need like Cluster_Administration in 462356235 different languages.

is there a way that I could use regex or something similar to ignore certain sets of packages.

here is the 1 liner

code:
 /usr/bin/rsync -avrt rsync://mirror.nic.uoregon.edu/centos/5/updates/i386/ --exclude=debug /var/www/html/centos/5/updates
I know that the --exclude flag is there, but I'm not sure what these packages would fall under.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gumball Dad posted:

Oh boy! I got MySQL installed successfully. Turns out I didn't have to resolve every dependency, I resolved one and everything magically worked. I'm not one to question providence. Now I get to troubleshoot MySQL. I've got the daemon running, but when I try to ./mysqltest nothing happens. Am I even going about this right? How do I actually use MySQL? Like run the program?

EDIT: ok, i figured out how to start and stop mysql. but how do i actually use it? like make/view/edit tables and crap?

I would suggest going to the mysql website and following the tutorial.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html

This will take you through some of the basic commands and administrative duties that running mysql needs.

Also here are some mysql cheat sheets which you might want to reference.

http://www.addedbytes.com/cheat-sheets/mysql-cheat-sheet/

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sock on a Fish posted:

host, ping, dig, etc. all report that they're using the servers specified in resolv.conf, and nsswitch.conf hasn't been modified. nscd is installed and running, but that just provides a local cache, right? That would explain hosts not resolving correctly, but not the presence of DNS queries going to servers not specified in resolv.conf.

You might want to try and put the new server in /etc/hosts/. I've seen some odd issues resolved (lol) by this. Ymmv though.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hello everyone:

I got an interesting question regarding permissions and vsftpd. I have a ftp folder that will have 2 groups of people accessing it. Group 1 needs full read/write permissions on that folder. Group 2 needs only read access to that folder. While I have Group 1 being able to access download and upload files. I'm unsure as how I would force Group 2 to only have read permissions. Any permissions experts have any ideas?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've started on the journey to automate many of the server builds at work using kickstart. However before I do this I want to create some custom RPM files so I can automatically build needed packages.

I've created an rpm file using the rpmbuild command, however I'm a bit confused as to where I can add my custom configuration files into the spec file. I know there is a %config macro but I'm unsure as to where I should put the configuration files for building.

Here is my kickstart file

code:
Summary: A program that controls configuration files remotly
Name: cfengine
Version: 2.2.8
Release: 5
License: GPL
Group: System Environment/Base
Source: cfengine-2.2.8.tar.gz

%description
This program is a core program used on the calumet network. it
allows each linux system to have a fresh set of configuration
files delivered daily, or when a change needs to be made.

%prep
%setup -q

%build
./configure
make

%install
make install

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
%config /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf
%config /var/cfengine/inputs/update.conf
%config /var/cfengine/inputs/cf.groups
%config /var/cfengine/inputs/cfservd.conf
%config /var/cfengine/inputs/cfrun.hosts
As you can see at the bottom I've created 5 different config values, the locations above are where I'd like the files to sit after installation. I hope this made some sort of sense : )

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

juggalol posted:

Just for curiosity's sake, I ran 'hdparm -i' on an (internal) SATA disk and was able to get the serial number. Running the same command against an external USB disk gave me an error message, "HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed: Invalid argument".

I did a few minutes of googling to see if anyone else had this problem, but I didn't come up with anything.

You might want to try the -I flag, it seems that the -i flag is for older devices.

hdparm man page posted:

-i Display the identification info that was obtained from the drive
at boot time, if available. This is a feature of modern IDE
drives, and may not be supported by older devices. The data
returned may or may not be current, depending on activity since
booting the system. However, the current multiple sector mode
count is always shown. For a more detailed interpretation of
the identification info, refer to AT Attachment Interface for
Disk Drives (ANSI ASC X3T9.2 working draft, revision 4a, April
19/93).

-I Request identification info directly from the drive, which is
displayed in a new expanded format with considerably more detail
than with the older -i flag.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a centos 5 server which needs to be upgraded past the 2.2.3 version of httpd that ships in the centos repos (due to bug fixes that aren't being back ported for what ever reason) I'd like to mirror the configuration flags that centos uses when it installs the httpd package, but I'm having trouble finding them. Is anyone aware of a location where those flags might be saved?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

You could probably get the configs by downloading the source rpm of the package you have installed. There is a spec file that it includes so if you install the src RPM it the source and spec file shows up somewhere in /usr/src/redhat/

I think the apache source comes with its own spec file also, if you could get it working with the source you could build your own RPM. One of my co-workers has done this before. I think I might give it a shot one of these days when i have free time.

Great idea, and this worked perfectly I used yumdownloader --source (package) to grab the source package then installed it. thanks a lot!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anunnaki posted:

How do you change the time format to a 24-hour clock? I changed it for the clock that's in the upper-right corner, but things like my Thunderbird calendar, and IM timestamps still show up with the 12-hour AM/PM stuff. I can't find a setting for this anywhere, and Google isn't much help.

I know in KDE (this is centos btw) you can just right click on the clock and select date&time format.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sharrow posted:

[debian/ubuntu]

We're looking at replacing our dev/prod hardware with some beefier stuff, and I figure this is the perfect time to look at config management.

Development is probably going to degenerate into a shitpile as usual, but what's the easiest way to keep staging and production as identical as possible? We have a decent deployment system for source code, it's things like Apache configs I'm thinking about.

I guess it's probably time to learn Puppet? Stick /etc under Git and push changes?

I've been using cfengine as well as mercural for config change management give that a look.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

dreggory posted:

Not sure if this warrants its own shiny thread so I thought I'd play it safe and ask here first.

Backstory: We are a hosting/managed IT/remote backup company. We're working to implement Alfresco, running on CentOS, as an enterprise content management solution for a bunch of new clients. We host and manage, they access and do goofy things with their documents. So far so good.

My company wants to give its clients remote access to the Alfresco file share through SMB/CIFS. Over the internet. I have gathered that this is a Bad Idea.

What alternatives, if any, do we have to work something like this?

You could try some sort of VPN solution this would allow more private access than you would have using just SMB/CIFS over the internet.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

n0manarmy posted:

If I've got no choice but to use a distribution that supports RPM's is CentOS still the reigning king for free?

I'm building a linux box for http://www.otrs.org and since the windows version is god awful slow and lovely, I'm back to running it on Linux. I did a debian install but the maintainer for that package is always a few versions behind. Now i'm looking at CentOS for the new server build.

EDIT: VVVVV
Thanks!

I set up OTRS on a centos box for our company hit me on a pm if you have any questions.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

code:
[root@pbx ~]# yum clean all
Code...
Still nothing, yum clean all, then yum update...

EDIT: Still breakage, sorry. I'm not sure if I can clean it up.
Have you tried to add a different repo to your yum.repos.d file? That should be located in /etc/yum/, see if trying to download from a different repo might fix the header issue.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

I'm having a weird issue with Firefox on CentOS 5.1/2 (whatever, fully updated). I occasionally get huge delays in resolving DNS names. I can open a terminal and nslookup just fine during these periods, and I don't have similar issues on any other machine (Windows) on the network.

I've found this was an OLD issue with ipv6 reverse lookups in older versions of Firefox, but disabling ipv6 in Firefox (plus restarting) hasn't done anything to fix the issue.

Has anyone heard of this issue or have a quick fix?

Have you disabled ipv6 on the interface?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Severed posted:

Thank you, working like a charm now.

I want to get rid of all the cords around this box, so I want to setup VNC to be able to log in using my main windows computer. I got vncserver up and running and I've set a password for it. I've tried connecting to the private static IP I've given the box and I've also tried the computers name; neither work. Any ideas?

Can you ping the box? Are you working through a router or anything like that? Is iptables on blocking the port, or if it's on are you enabling access? On the subject of VNC, I've found that http://www.nomachine.com/ works really well for these types of things, and it's a bit more "fire and forget" if you would. If you continue to have trouble with setting up VNC, give this a try.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 7, 2009

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mustach posted:

I'm trying to set up a cron task that sends out an e-mail to a list of people. The e-mail script looks something like this:
code:
#!/bin/sh

#list='somelist,somebody,someone,someguy'
list='me'

# etc...

mail -s "Tonight's Bar" $list <<- EOF
 Blah blah blah $location.\
 Blah blah blah.\
 Blah blah blah blah.
 Blah.
EOF
and the crontab is
code:
15 5 * * sat /path/to/that/script.sh
When I run the script by hand, the e-mail is what I expect, but when cron runs it, the e-mail has no body and the text is in an attachment called "noname." Does anybody know why it's different?

I've had issues with running scripts from cron tabs that exhibit the same issues. Usually it is because commands in your program aren't explicitly defined. Try making everything in the script explicit (like /bin/mail or where ever it's located I'm not sure off the top of my head).

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

It depends on your environment. You're very unlikely to get support from the vendor if you have a customized kernel, so they're uncommon in most of the world, but in a lot of high-frequency trading shops you will see real-time kernels in the datacenter.

This is true, I work with a few different ISV's and they all have their own RT kernel that we put together for them. Sometimes it doesn't play nice with different hardware, Dell R710 I'm looking at you!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a client with a very old system and he is running some legacy apps that have been written in C++. However he is asking that we install ipmitool so as to allow him access to his ILOm. Installing the ipmitool results in the following error:

configure:6679: checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler
configure:6703: g++ -c conftest.cc >&5
g++: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
configure:6709: $? = 1

After some googling, I made sure that both g++ and gcc were the same version but it seems that I just need to update g++ and or gcc, which in it's self is no big deal. However this server is running some legacy applications written in C++ which may or may not be using libraries on the system my questions are these:

If I upgrade G++ / GCC would that over write the existing libraries?
is there a way to tell what libraries are in use?

Thanks.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

You could probably even get away with compiling it staticly on a non-legacy system and then copying over the binary.

Good thinking I'm going to give this a try.

Standish thanks for the tip on ldd.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have an odd question,

I do a lot of installs on servers that have multiple nic's (from 8-18 physical ports) across both Intel and broadcom cards (broadcom usually being on boards). However I've noticed that once the install is finished the OS (SUSE, Red Hat, Centos all have showed this behavior) the OS will "mis align" the nics, making the Intel cards come up as eth0,eth1 etc. However, due to internal SOP, I would like to make the broadcoms come up eth0,eth1 etc etc. I know that the Intel driver is loaded before the broadcom driver during the install, is there any way using kickstart or some sort of install flag that can force the broadcom drivers to come up first, or at least before the Intel drivers.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I wouldn't bother with trying to get drivers to probe in a particular order, that's fragile and prone to failure down the line. Just use udev's functionality to give particular cards (identified by bus ID or mac address) the correct names, or do something with ifrename or ip link set name if for some reason you can't use udev.

Right, usually we switch the mac addresses around to force them to come up in the correct order. What I was thinking was using anaconda's blacklist feature to stop the install of the igb drivers then installing them later from the disk after the broadcoms have been setup. This way will reduce our time to get things set up, and will make sure that things stay in the right order.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I can't imagine how futzing with driver load order could possibly be better than just renaming the interfaces once they're all up. Linux doesn't make any promises about how devices are probed and what order they come up in; that's the entire reason we need userspace tools like udev to dictate naming policies. If you try to enforce the ordering by altering when various modules are loaded, then you are risking it all falling apart whenever you upgrade the kernel or have to swap out a motherboard or if there's a glitch and the kernel decides it needs to reenumerate the PCI bus or one of the cards dies and now all the interfaces are wrong instead of just one being missing or any number of other situations that are very difficult to plan for in advance. If you assign names based on mac addresses, this just doesn't happen, and the device that you want to be eth2 will always enumerate as eth2, even if eth0 and eth1 aren't ready yet.

Seriously, the features for having stable names for network interfaces are very stable and easy to use. Don't use other features to try to recreate them, poorly. You'll just create more work for yourself or anyone else who has to manage this stuff down the line.

I can see where you're coming from to let the kernel just do it's thing, I was wondering due to the fact that this happens multiple times and is a pain in the rear end with the amount of NICS in play as well as the order. A question however: I mentioned the blacklist anaconda blacklist flag to flag the Intel driver during install then installing it later. What would be the negative to doing this, If I'm going to be installing the driver anyhow. Not that I'm trying to argue, I'm curious as to what this might break.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Edit: I mean, honestly, the work required to do the correct thing here is literally no more than adding a udev rules file with lines of the format
code:
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="01:23:45:67:89:ab", NAME="eth0"
and then asking udev to reload and reenumerate devices.
Ok this makes more sense then what I was doing before I'll use this thanks again :)

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShoulderDaemon posted:

In the Intel case in particular, in addition to being subject to the whims of newer kernels deciding to probe things differently or hardware faults or what-have-you, you also get to deal with the fact that some Intel cards are at least partially supported by multiple drivers, so if you blacklist the driver it's supposed to use, you may wind up with it enumerating anyway in 10mbps mode or something with an alternate driver. There are a few other classes of device this happens to; SATA cards and a number of wireless cards, especially. This is one of the reasons you should really only blacklist a module if you are having a problem with that module, not to try to reorder the way the kernel does enumeration; the tools assume you want your hardware to enumerate as quickly as possible, and will fight you.

Interesting thanks Shoulder.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did some googling and came up with this. I guess drives over 2TB need to use GPT as their labling schema, in this case centos doesn't like disks that large take a peek while it doesn't mention red hat out and out this might help

http://idolinux.blogspot.com/2008/10/perc-raid-and-efi-gpt-wierdness.html

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is an odd one i've come across.

I've been working with a client to tune their nic's we're using the IGB driver in SUSE 10.2 x64_86

here is our version:

?!?!?:/etc # ethtool -i eth7
driver: igb
version: 2.1.1
firmware-version: 1.5-1
bus-info: 0000:08:00.1
?!?!?:/etc #

I'm trying to change the coalesce paramaters, of note, the tx-usecs paramater:

!?!?!!?:/etc # ethtool -c eth7
Coalesce parameters for eth7:
Adaptive RX: off TX: off
stats-block-usecs: 0
sample-interval: 0
pkt-rate-low: 0
pkt-rate-high: 0

rx-usecs: 13
rx-frames: 0
rx-usecs-irq: 0
rx-frames-irq: 0

tx-usecs: 0
tx-frames: 0
tx-usecs-irq: 0
tx-frames-irq: 0

rx-usecs-low: 0
rx-frame-low: 0
tx-usecs-low: 0
tx-frame-low: 0

rx-usecs-high: 0
rx-frame-high: 0
tx-usecs-high: 0
tx-frame-high: 0

I've changed the rx-usecs number by adjusting the InterruptThrottleRate inside of modprobe.conf doing this i'm able to change the rx-usecs. You can also change this value using ethtool. however when trying to change the tx-usecs values using ethtool:

?!!?!?:/etc # ethtool -C eth7 tx-usecs 13
Cannot set device ring parameters: Invalid argument

I was wondering if anyone has changed these values using the IGB driver and was successful.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kilson posted:

This doesn't actually work (hence my question in the first place), you still get the gateway address only.

code:
jpenery@jpenery-desktop:~$ arping -I eth0 -s 192.168.20.89 172.20.20.102
WARNING: interface is ignored: Operation not permitted
ARPING 172.20.20.102 from 192.168.20.89 eth0
Unicast reply from 172.20.20.102 [00:0B:BE:F3:9F:80]  1.153ms

jpenery@jpenery-desktop:~$ arp -n
Address                  HWtype  HWaddress           Flags Mask            Iface
192.168.20.1             ether   00:0b:be:f3:9f:80   C                     eth0

jpenery@jpenery-desktop:~$ ssh jpenery@172.20.20.102
[root@ems ~]# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:19:B9:F0:0F:09
          inet addr:172.20.20.102  Bcast:172.20.20.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
I already did all that, but I want to be able to route the packets through the actual gateways for the respective subnets. Packets from virtual address 192.168.20.xx should use gateway 192.168.20.1, packets from 172.20.20.x should use 172.20.20.1, etc. Currently, everything just goes out the default eth0 gateway, despite the routes I added. If I add routes using different gateways, the virtual interface becomes useless (no packets seem to go out).

Can you show a route table? as well as the commands your using to route?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
ok just so I know what's going on here:

you've got multiple VLAN's that you want to push through the same nic right?

if this is the case you can do Linux vlans then route through the vlans, so using your route command above you can vlan (subinterface) then do the dev eth0.1 or what ever. If I'm off base in this case what is to be done?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

dr go hog wild posted:

I have a weird problem. Kinda moot since there's a workaround, but:

The wireless internet connection is shared among the two apartments in the house I live in. The router is in the other guy's apartment. All was fine until the old (linksys) router stopped working, and the dude got a new one (netgear wgr614 i think?). His computer and his son's laptop (both running Windows) connect just fine. My laptop (debian lenny) would associate with the router, but the router refuses to assign it an IP address. Same with my desktop (debian squeeze), Wii, and Blackberry. Friends'laptops connect just fine as long as they are running Windows. The workaround is to assign a static IP to all my non-Windows devices. Then I can get an internet connection just fine.

I get output similar to this from dhcpd:

code:
root@Ax000:~ # ifup wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit [url]http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP[/url]

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:0f:b5:05:4a:cb
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:0f:b5:05:4a:cb
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 11
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 10
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
I know it's not an encryption problem, since it behaves the same way with encryption turned off completely. And I know I'm associating with the router - I can ping 192.168.1.1, and I can reach the router administration page. And I don't think it's a problem with how I have things configured, since all my devices worked fine with the old router, and I hadn't changed a thing.

So why the hell would the router not give a DHCPOFFER to non-Windows machines? How would it even know?

Try seeing if you can do a tcpdump on the wlan0 interface to see anything more. Might give you a bit more information, though DHCP issues can be extra annoying, Do you have access to the router to see if you're showing up under known hosts?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I had this graphic hanging in my cube for a long time as a reference. It's pretty solid and organized well

http://jrmiii.com/2009/03/06/learning-vim-the-pragmatic-way.html

Thanks for this.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
you can put your routes in /etc/init.d/ then make a symlink to rc3.d and or rc5.d so they'll load on which ever runlevel you use.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2011

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

This is technically true, but also more or less what rc.local was designed for.

And here I was doing more work than I needed to. Thanks Misogynist.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

I haven't tried it, but this is the kinda crazy thing that might be cool http://www.fudgie.org/
Or this http://code.google.com/p/logstalgia/

This is loving raw, though I'm sure after about 10 min of a busy webserver you'd get a headache.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

ClosedBSD posted:

All the cool cats are on IRC, but they are pretty much dismissive pricks. Your best bet for a Linux "community" is, sadly, probably the mailing lists, or maybe the Arch Forums.

Whats the fresh Linux IRC community these days?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Sure, if you do
code:
rpm -qa | awk '{printf $0" "}' > pkgs.txt
it will list all packages on one line with a space after each, and put it in file pkgs.txt

You can put that in a file then do:
code:
yum install $(cat pkgs.txt)
that should do it.

Also to this you can add the -y flag to yum, this will just automate it to say yes to any prompts ( for pgp keys or are you sure you want to install prompts )

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

River posted:

^^ Same result. I might just bite the bullet, backup everything and reinstall if I can't find a way to fix my scripts. I'd use du or something but it's a pain.

Just for a lark, try doing this:

tune2fs -l </this/partition/>

look for "Reserved Block Count"

Many file systems will reserve space so that a normal user cannot fill the root partition to 100%, causing some issues. I just had to deal with finding some extra space that was "hidden" and found it with this. Not that reserving some emergency space isn't a good idea. But it might help solve the mystery.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dameius posted:

Lets assume that I am rusty as hell on coding, but can basically follow along on simple stuff (because it is true). Lets also assume that I need to as quickly as absolutely possible make Linux second nature (also because it is true). I'll be using Fedora 16 mostly. Besides putting Linux on a VM or a throwaway partition and just start messing around in it what are the best ways to very quickly crash course my way through learning Linux backend? Any guides or pdfs or even books that can supplement hands on learning with free being the optimal price but I can shell out some cash if it is particularly worth it.

A friend has a goal of going from novice to compiling an OS on his own in six months and I am determined to beat him with as wide a margin as possible, making as much progress as I can, in particular, in the next two months so I can qualify for a promotion. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me out? I'm starting to burn through linux.org, but what else?

I think the best way is to make things that are relevant to your life or something you'd like to do. Create an emulator, host some media, have a mail server, host a webpage, install cacti(graphing for system statistics) things like that. I always find that it's far harder to learn something by force when you don't have any sort of personal investment. Just going through some webpages about how to do things will only teach you that, how to do it. Not why it's done or why it's done for x y and z reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Uhhh, I'm having sort of a brain fart moment.

I've got

PLATFORM=`uname -s`
echo Platform is ${PLATFORM,,}

and I'm trying to get "Linux" to show up as "linux", why can't I do

PLATFORM=${`uname -s`,,}
echo Platform is $PLATFORM

I'd prefer not to have to resort to

PLATFORM=`uname -s`
PLATFORM=${PLATFORM,,}
echo Platform is $PLATFORM

I'm sure this is bash 101 and I've missed the most obvious thing, but my head just isn't working right now.

I gave this a try:

:~$ PLATFORM=$(uname -s)
:~$ echo ${PLATFORM,,}
linux

And it spits it out alright, I never knew about the ,,'s either that's neat.