Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Having used puppet, salt and now Ansible i'll toss in my opinion, not that anyone asked!

I used puppet in a place which wasn't using puppet to its fullest potential, its easy and I wrote a few custom modules for it ( installing java a certain way some other stuff ) and its relatively fine. As a more python person I felt it was a bear to use when doing anything ruby related. However I did appreciate the custom facts piece, foreman was also a pretty neat piece of software which gave everything a decent UI to manage from. I didn't like that we needed puppet enterprise to run commands via puppet to a subset of systems, though this might have changed.

Salt I really like, it can be extremely fiddly especially when writing templates for the first time. Lots of errors returned are not the most user friendly. I also found that writing automated tests of the code ( mostly spinning up docker containers, applying the code to the container then writing tests ) was tougher than using puppet, since Rspec/Serverspec was so easy to use. However the flexibility I felt in salt is something, especially the reactor system, that is really nice to work with

Ansible I've used the least, I'm using it to template AMIs using packer within AWS. It's really strong i feel in this role. I've also written a few libraries for it. I found that to be a bit of a pain from a testing standpoint but this might be outside the scope of the conversation. I like how it provides a way to set something to state and not have an agent, thought I think for longer running systems this could be a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU