Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

schzim posted:

I don't know what you mean with 'file' output.

"file sdk.bin" tells you what kind of file Linux thinks sdk.bin is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Run MemTest on it overnight.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

covener posted:

You shouldn't be sore that you can't point-and-click in gnome to install your own private copies of software using the same tools you use to administer the system.

If you want to be able to just click on things to install them, check out 0install. Unfortunately, not much is packaged for it.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Actually I think it looks pretty nice. It's less well-documented, so if you find out you install it and your volume button or power management or something don't work, it's harder to find help.

You don't get Nautilus (you can still run it, but it automatically starts big chunks of Gnome along with it which defeats the purpose of a lightweight desktop). The Xfce file manager, Thunar, doesn't have as many features - I don't know the details, but I'd guess it's harder to browse Windows network shares and things like that.

I actually think Xfce looks really nice, and I like the fact there's not as much crap I'll never used stuffed into it.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

A 1 Ghz Celeron should be plenty fast for normal browsing and things. Something's wrong with your setup if it runs that slow.

Why not just take the sound card out of the Celeron and put it in the new computer?

To answer your actual question, though, you want to run a PulseAudio server on the machine with the soundcard, and have all the audio clients on the newer machine use either PulseAudio or eSound output (PulseAudio has a backwards-compatibility mode for eSound).

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

EDIT: Uh, I can still get in as root, do I have to restart the SSHD service? How do I do that in Debian?

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

If lots of people have logins on this box, you might want to disallow all of them except you unless you can audit all the passwords to be sure they're strong enough.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Without Pants posted:

Stupid question, and I'm probably going to make this confusing but...-

How do I run a script from crontab, and have the dir the script is in be the default dir?

For example, I have /home/me/.rss2email with the python script "r2e" in that dir. The dir contains other scripts required by "r2e", so when I add "/home/me/.rss2email/r2e run" I want it to not say "otherscript.py not found".

Try making your command "cd /home/me/.rss2email/r2e && ./r2e". If that doesn't work (I can never remember when it does and when it doesn't) make a wrapper script:

code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/me/.rss2email
./r2e

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

rugbert posted:

bah, anytime theres a kernel update I lose my wireless (ndiswrapper) and resolution (nvidia). is there an easy way to roll back so I can reinstall my graphics and wireless capabilities?

Depends on what system are you using. Debian/Ubuntu? Red Hat/SuSE? You should be able to just uninstall the new kernal package and reinstall the old one. If you built it yourself, use the same procedure you used to install it to build and install an older version.

Why don't you just recompile ndiswrapper and nvidia though?

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Twlight posted:

These systems are not well maintained, cleanup isn't running so last worked out perfectly. To script this up, I'm assuming i would use awk to grab dates that i would like?

Depending on cleanup not running seems like a bad thing - if someone took over and started maintaining the system better, things would start breaking.

EDIT: do you have an easy way to get a list of each employee's manager? (I assume they have one.) I'd have it email their manager when their account is about to be deleted, so that a human gets a chance to intervene. ("If this employee is still with the company and is just on extended leave, please contact IT immediately.")

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

GregNorc posted:

Edit: Never mind, discovered the problem on my own.

Well, tell us what it was so we can learn something!

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Zom Aur posted:

We tried, didn't work. We later tried with ISO-8859-1 (Which is the ISO code for swedish characters) but it didn't work neither.

It's probably formatted to use a windows-specific code page (which is a stupid thing to do in this day and age). You should be able to figure out the code page in Windows somewhere (drive properties? I dunno) and then Google should be able to tell you the equivalent Linux name of that page.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

coldfire07 posted:

Is there a way to make a program restart if it crashes?

For example, I use the command
code:
synergyc 192.168.1.77
to connect my laptop which runs linux to my xp desktop. I'm using a custom build of Synergy on the laptop because of a problem the normal synergy client has with hardy heron, and while this build fixes the problem, it causes synergy to periodically crash.

Is there a way that I can make synergy instantly restart if it terminates?

while true; do synergyc 192.168.1.77; done

(Assuming synergyc doesn't put itself into the background, this'll wait till one ends before starting another one. If it puts itself into the background, through, this'll start hundreds of them at the same time.)

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Harokey posted:

Didn't work on an oldish gentoo install that we have here in the lab... But did work on my ubuntu machine!

From this, I assume you just don't have it installed.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

The Remote Viewer posted:

Wasn't Ibex supposed to be pretty or something? Apparently the Ubuntu team has a drag queen's eye for beauty and subtlety because yet again they passed over several great mockups and even a working theme for something that looks like dogshit yet again.

This is the second time I've seen someone link to that theme and say it looks great. WTF? That's butt-ugly.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

rugbert posted:

whats the best way to find out where my space free space is going too via termina?

I have a 120 gig drive (on a server that I ssh into) used JUST for torrenting but even tho my torrent folder only contains 47 gigs, df -h shows 77 gigs used on that drive.

"man du"

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

The Remote Viewer posted:

Why does my system usability tank every time I do a file operation involving large files (>20GB)? Firefox starts becoming unresponsive, programs take 5x longer to install, etc.

You can use ionice to turn down the priority on those large operations. They'll take longer to finish but anything else that needs the hard drive will be able to interrupt them so they'll run better.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

thesuever posted:

So, I define the variable:

code:
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec
The configure script still does not recognize the library. Are there any suggestions or is there something that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance

Configure scripts usually look for the development headers, not the link library. To install it through the package manager, make sure you install both libmpcdec and libmpcdec-devel. (The exact names will vary by distribution.)

When you installed it yourself, did you set the whole prefix to /usr/local/lib/libmpcdec? (That would mean the .so is in /usr/local/lib/libmpcdec/lib and the headers are in/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec/include) Then you want LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec/lib and INCLUDES=-I/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec/include.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Google's not helping me on this because I don't know what to search for.

I've got an SD card that's not being detected. Other SD cards work fine, and this card works fine in other computers.

syslog says that it's getting detected by hal, but it never shows up as /dev/sdb (which is where other SD cards show up):

Nov 1 00:24:13 seppo kernel: [ 5231.392560] mmc0: new SD card at address b368
Nov 1 00:24:13 seppo kernel: [ 5231.393339] mmcblk0: mmc0:b368 SD064 61312KiB
Nov 1 00:24:13 seppo kernel: [ 5231.393398] mmcblk0: p1
Nov 1 00:24:13 seppo NetworkManager: <debug> [1225513453.435204] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1180_822_mmc_host_mmc_card_rca45928').

And that's the last thing I get.

All the tools I know about (mount, fdisk, whatever) take paths in /dev - there's gotta be something to tell it to map this hal id to that device, but what?

EDIT: after flailing around for half an hour, as soon as I posted I zeroed in right on the thing to do. That's always the way.

First off I restarted hald, and now when I put the card in I see more hal id's for the actual filesystems on it:

Nov 1 01:07:16 seppo NetworkManager: <debug> [1225516036.631445] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1180_822_mmc_host_mmc_card_rca45928').
Nov 1 01:07:16 seppo NetworkManager: <debug> [1225516036.705132] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_0x40407873').
Nov 1 01:07:16 seppo NetworkManager: <debug> [1225516036.768998] nm_hal_device_added(): New device added (hal udi is '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_FC30_3DA9').

Then I looked at each of them with lshal -u /org/freedesktop/...

pci_1180_etc didn't give me anything useful, but storage_serial_etc included the entry "block.device = '/dev/mmcblk0'" and volume_uuid_etc included "block.device = '/dev/mmcblk0p1'" which are analogous to /dev/sda and /dev/sda1. Not sure why this card's showing up on a different device from others, but at least I can use it now.

JoeNotCharles fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

royallthefourth posted:

I think for your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be updated, you need to logout and login again. This may involve killing the X server.

Not true at all.