Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Tried this, no dice. I am running on nVidia, with what I think are the latest drivers. It's still cutting off the same amount (cutting through the d in "edit" on this firefox window to give a horizontal estimate). Any other solution ideas?
Run nvidia-settings and check "X Server Display Configuration" section and the GPU scaling options for the screen under the GPU0 section. I've had this utility mess up my X configuration, so backup the original xorg.conf if you get it working and decide to save the config.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

adante posted:

There's a bootable USB stick or external drive option if you have one laying around:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_to_create_Live_USB_systems

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Grigori Rasputin posted:

2) Bittorrent client - I'm using uTorrent on win32 which I love.
deluge is a light, full-featured GTK client that does everything I use uTorrent for.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Harokey posted:

Anyone know of a decent, cheap flatbed scanner for Linux? I mostly want it for scanning in technical drawings/notes from class. OCR stuff would be nice too if for scanning in handouts and whatnot.

My Canoscan LiDE scanner was cheap, had a single USB cable for power and pretty thin.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I found this while browsing Slickdeals, figured I'd share the love here.

Free e-book: Linux 101 Hacks
<a href="http://www.thegeekstuff.com/book/linux101hacks.php">Link</a>

passcode: linuxrocks

*I suck. Can someone tell me why my sweet html code isn't working?

The forums use vB code. Look to the left of your post editbox or check the box that will automatically parse URLs.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

GregNorc posted:

What's the best music program on linux right now? songbird?

Looking into a netbook for my next laptop, and iTunes is the only piece of software I haven't found an equivalent for.

Edit: I don't use anything advanced like smart playlists, just looking for something simple, like winamp was before they hosed around with it.

quod libet is small and light while retaining a library. You can do some fancy library searching, but if you don't it's a pretty decent basic audio player.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Harokey posted:

Can anyone comment on the use of docking stations in linux? How easy is it for the display to change from my laptop screen to docking station screen, to laptop + docking station? This works fairly easily in windows (automatically) but found I'd have to restart X before when I did it in linux. Is this still the case? Is there some software or guide that I should look at?
Read up on randr. Should work without problems.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

rdiff-backup uses rsync.

What filesystem is the external drive? The incremental backup scheme I've seen uses hard links to link to unchanged files and I don't think they're supported with FAT32.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The external drive is ext3.

What do you mean incremental backup scheme? rdiff-backup is incremental by default, no?

Sure, the only thing I'm familiar with is a straight rsync method for use on the DNS-323 NAS device (http://forum.dsmg600.info/t2125-DNS-323-Rsync-Time-Machine!.html) and it handles incremental backups by using hard links... each dated folder looks like a whole new directory tree. I was just checking that the filesystem supported hard links figuring that rdiff-backup would use a similar method.

So in other words I'm out of ideas.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Theseus posted:

I've been toying with replacing the Windows Vista installation on my laptop with Fedora 10, but my past experiences with Linux and wireless networking have stopped me. One of the networks I need to be able to connect to is WPA-Personal network with TKIP and a hidden SSID, but I was unable to get a (very old) desktop with Slackware installed to connect to it. After days of fiddling the best I was able to do was to get it to see the access point. So my question is this: Is this a common issue, is there a way around these problems as a network user (not administrator), and if so, how would I go about implementing it on a Fedora box? This is currently the only thing standing in the way of replacing Vista. I need to be able to connect to a WPA-Enterprise network using TKIP as well. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Why don't you boot up the newest Fedora or Ubuntu live CD and see if everything works. It's probably the easiest way to find out.

Doc Faustus posted:

I'm working on the latest version of Ubuntu. Does anyone have a guaranteed to work method of mounting CIFS shares? All the instructions I find involve editing /etc/fstab, which seems to be un-editable on my system (or something)

You have to be root to edit fstab. You can use Nautilus to connect to CIFS shares, but I don't remember if they look like a filesystem to non-gnome applications.

yippee cahier fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 5, 2009

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

and honestly the package manager is the greatest feature found on a Linux desktop. All those codecs were probably in there somewhere and probably even had a metapackage to install them all in one go. You'll even get updates installed automatically when they're available.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Definitely know that the package manager is the only way you should be installing things on your system. A lot of the guides you'll find on forums will tell you to download some package and install it outside of the package management system, even though it might be in another repository. It's so much easier to have your system update itself.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Ubuntu netbook remix? Never used it, but it should be optimized for high DPI / low resolution and have the launching dashboard already.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Is there any kernel parameter I can use to override the auto-detected IRQ for my computer's IDE bus? The 2.6 kernel broke the auto-config routine in the driver for the IDE adapter in my laptop, and also conveniently removed the idex=base,ctl,irq kernel parameter that would let me override it's faulty detection. Genius move there, devs.

Isn't everyone using libata now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

bawfuls posted:

My windows 7 RC is expiring, so I've been messing around with Ubuntu on a whim. I'm using 9.10 (via wubi), and flash will not install properly. Every time I go to download/install it, I get the option to "enable software channel" which I accept, it prompts for the root password, then starts downloading the package but hangs indefinitely on file 48 of 49.

I'm trying to install by going to this page and selecting "APT for Ubuntu 9.04+" from the dropdown.

Sooooo, how do I get flash working on this dumb thing?
Hit the button to see all the messages, there might be a license you have to accept in the console output. You're using synaptic, right?