Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

AlexMax posted:

On my Debian machine, I am currently using Evolution to handle all of my mail. However, I've read about things such as sendmail, fetchmail, procmail, exim4, postfix, and I figure that I'm going to have to deal with those things eventually, so I was thinking that perhaps I could transfer my mail handling from Evolution itself to use more general UNIX mail delivery. This I think would have two advantages to me.

1. I'll know how to set up UNIX mail delivery.
2. I'll be able to use any mail program I like to read and send mail. Evolution is really nice, but what if I want to access my computer remotely? Using another mail client like mutt in the same mailbox would be much nicer than having to use VNC or pipe X over to the computer I want to access it from so I can use Evolution.

However, I haven't the foggiest idea how to get started. Plus, there are so many options for fetching mail (getmail, fetchmail), sending mail (sendmail, exim, postfix), sorting mail (I know about procmail, but I'm sure there are others). So far I've gotten to the point where Evolution is reading my local inbox for mail, so I can see the dozens of cron errors that have piled up in the past couple of days. But what now?

And I want to be able to share my "sent mail" box as well, so I can tell what mail I've sent.

Is there any decent tutorials on how to get started?

I haven't the foggiest idea about a debian specific Howto, but I've been pretty pleased with my current conbimation:
1) Fetchmail grabs mail from several pop3 accounts
2) Procmail does a bunch of regex voodoo to sort things out and stick everything into maildir format
3) Bincimap serves up my mail via imap/SSL for when I want to use a remote client
4) Pine with maildir patches works great for local console based client
5) Thunderbird handles local graphical client duties
6) Postfix manages outgoing mail

Took me maybe 4 hours to get everything merged and config'd on a gentoo box and as long as you install the docs to go with the software you will get a ton of helpful examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

Updating my system just hosed my Gnome install (a couple of base packages are missing from the Ubuntu servers, so it's in an inconsistent state). Fine by me - I don't really care about the whole desktop bit, I run ion as my window manager. The one thing that I miss from uninstalling gnome is gnome-terminal.

I tried using Konsole for about 5 minutes, but my god, is it ever clunky. It takes ages to start up and I can't figure out how to turn off its extra window border. Does anybody know a *simple* terminal emulator written in Qt or Gtk+? (Or wxWidgets or whatever.)

I'm confused about what is wrong with konsole? It has a ton of configuration options to make it do just about anything.... Also, try using "shift-insert" and "shift-delete" for copy/paste operations, seems to work on just about everything except OSX....

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Aoi-chan posted:

Here are two questions I've had since being an admin that I've not seen answered yet.

Why can't I forcibly remove 'z' state (zombie) processes from the process table to reclaim PIDs/space, and why can't I forcibly kill a process stuck in 'd' state (disk wait)? Our machine used to collect about 5 zombies per day for some reason, and we ran out of proc table space eventually on it. Also, since we ran on NFS, sometimes we REALLY needed to kill processes that were uselessly stuck in disk wait. I never felt like it made sense to have to wait 10 minutes to get my terminal back because the net dropped while I was doing 'ls'.

What kernel version are you running? The kernel should go through periodically and clear out zombied procs, at least in newer versions. I have no clue about the diskwait question though.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

is there a good alternative to fortune?

in addition to stupid formatting and crappy jokes, now i'm getting klingon proverbs

lunix :rolleyes:

Read the man page for fortune... Bellieve it or not, most programs actually have good documentation....

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Take your RTFM and stick it up your arse: I know that man page better than your mother and nothing there addresses the problems I mention.

I assume your next trick will be to tell me to write my own database of aphorisms.

Hey, you were saying you didn't like the formatting nor the quotes it chooses. The man page has the info you need to remove the fortune data files you don't like and points you the location of them and the proper utilities to use if you want to reformat the text.

fortune(6) manpage posted:

If a particular set of fortunes is particularly unwanted, there is an easy solution: delete the associated .dat file. This leaves the data intact, should the file later be wanted, but since fortune no longer finds the pointers file, it ignores the text file.

Not sure why you didn't figure that out from the man page, nor am I sure why you would cop such an attitude for me trying to point you in the right direction. But hey... you wanna be a dick you go right ahead...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Digital Drifter posted:

well I'm on my laptop that has a gig of ram and a swap partition about 450MB in size and it (the swap) has never been touched. I'm pretty sure the old school swap rules don't apply anymore since we count RAM in gigs these days rather than just a few megs.

Just set it to 512 or even 128MB and you should be fine.

I concur. For most modern computers with 1GB+ of ram a 2GB swap file/partition will be more than sufficient and will probably hardly ever get any use. There is just no logical reason to scale up the swap size along with the memory size.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

b0lt posted:

Well, there's also the slight problem that you run into the operating system limit of 2 GB for swap files. If you make a bigger swap file, it just won't use the rest.

It's not a problem.... I could be wrong, but I don't think that 2gb limit per swap file/partition exists in the 2.6 kernels.... even if it does, you aren't limited to just one swap device... Actually you may see better performance by creating multiple smaller swap partitions/files on separate devices to stop spindle speed constraints on swapping....

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

fletcher posted:

Bump for my question!

You haven't told us what filesystem, what kernel version, what partition type, etc...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Postal posted:

I'm running Fedora 6 with three NICs and I'm having a little trouble bonding two of them. Interface eth0 is the normal, connected to the switch line. Interfaces eth1 and eth2 are each taking a line from a network tap (homebrew passive network tap) that sits between my DSL adapter and router. eth1 is taking the receive side and eth2 is taking the transmit side. I want to bond these for easier use in Snort (single interface vs multiple).
:words:

I'm curious what exactly you hope to accomplish with this setup. This sounds like an entirely overly complicated network setup. What could there possibly be to gain by splitting your upstream and downstream traffic across two bonded nics and then uplinking them to a router which goes to a connection which cannot possible under even the best circumstances come close to saturating even a single 100fdx nic?

Is this a purely academic pursuit? or is there something I'm missing entirely?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

fletcher posted:

How do I make MRTG not run from 12-1AM when my backups are made and FTP'd so I don't get useless graphs like this:

Right now it's setup to run every 5 minutes in crontab

Set a cron job at the beginning of your outage window to create a marker file in /tmp and then make your regular mrtg cron check for the presence of the file. Create another cron job which removes the marker at the end of the outage window.... voila!

code:
59 23 * * *     root    touch /tmp/nomrtg
0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *    root  if [ ! -e /tmp/nomrtg ]; then <insert mrtg command here>; fi
01 01 * * *     root    rm /tmp/nomrtg
Something like that....

dfn_doe fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 20, 2007

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

AlexHat posted:

Small question here, with the icons in the top righthand corner, a lot have the icon on a square of white or grey, making it look pretty unsightly. Anyone know how you can change this? It's not too important.

find the graphic file of the icons in question, open them up in gimp, use the color picker to select the offensive background color and then use the "alpha->transparency" filter. Save modified icon.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I'm not sure what the best way to get back to setting up Gentoo is. I think I can just boot off the CD, mount my partitions, and then chroot again, but I want to make sure that this will work and I'm not missing anything else. I think I need to mount the partitions before I chroot because I'm guessing the partition mounting commands aren't saved into any sort of configuration file yet.

But I sort of got lost with some of the commands I was putting in so I might have missed something.

You got the right idea.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

thenameseli posted:

Sure, it's not too hard, although you do have to copy sda5 twice. Do not follow this blindly without verification, though :). And be sure to have backups/verify your data at each step and all that.

-Make a new partition in linux at least 45 GB.
# dd if=/dev/sda5 of=<path to free space>/windows.img
-With fdisk or similar, delete partition sda1 (this will also take out sda5, I believe), and create a new 45 GB primary partition on the free space at the beginning of the disk. This will be your new sda1.
# dd if=<path>/windows.img of=/dev/sda1

Now you can get rid of the newly created linux partition.

That is (should be) all there is to it!

Don't forget to make the new "final destination" partition the exact size or slightly larger than the original partition. Otherwise you will end up with a potentially borked filesystem as the dd operation will end prematurely and truncate your data.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Can anyone cook up the following regular expression for me: (or help me find a good way to learn how)

I need to find a line in a text file that's over 150chars long, without a line break. Pretty much every other line in the text breaks at ~70-90 chars.

something like
code:
cat [i]filename[/i] |grep '^(.){150}$'
Should match all lines which contain at least 150 characters.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Thanks. I never would have thought to use dot :(

Hrm - that regex isn't working in VIM.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that vim regex doesn't like curly braces... also, I just tested it on the command line and it doesn't seem to work with the "$" in the regex... if you leave it out it works fine....

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Yaksha posted:

I recently setup a Linux Desktop for the first time, Debian. It's fun to play with, but I don't think I'll have it replace my Windows PC.

One thing I would like to do, and I'm pretty sure I can do this, is use the box as an SSH tunnel when I'm using external wireless.

Basically, whenever I'm out of my place, at a hotel or a hot spot, I'd like to get online but make sure the information I am sending out is encrypted without relying on the router to protect me. I'm sure I've read in the past I can do this by connecting to the WLAN, then creating a tunnel between my laptop and the Linux PC at my home.

That way all traffic, whether it's HTTP, FTP, etc. will go through my Linux box at home and people won't get any useful data from sniffing.

Is this doable or is it something I dreamed up?

This is what vpn is designed to do. Checkout openvpn, it is super easy to use and provides exactly the service you are looking for.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

So the scripts that control the screen brightness should be in there, but what commands to actually call in those scripts I don't know.

should be controlled via acpi on most modern standards compliants laptops...

code:
$ cat /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness
levels:  75 35 10 25 35 50 60 75 90 100
current: 0
you can echo any of the level values into /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness to achieve that brightness level.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

CaladSigilon posted:

Some laptops have them actually built into the firmware: My HP Pavilion dv2120US changes the screen brightness without software interaction.

You can probably still change them via acpi. Since the acpi standard really serves as an abstraction layer between firmware/bios and kernel/userspace.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

DeathChill posted:

I want to set up what will be a specialized project running on Linux. This means that I want the most bare bones setup possible.

I was curious as to the exact components I need for my project, which I'll explain now. The project is actually a set of applications that will work in unison to create the appearance of an operating system separate of Linux. I have no interest in installing a lot of dependancies that are unimportant, I basically want the kernel and any other NECESSARY pieces as well as the appropriate hardware drivers.

However, forms and windows and images will have to be placed on the screen, so I assume X11/Xorg will also be necessary and for anything advanced would require Beryl or Compiz? I won't be developing the applications (thank God), but I'd rather be able to put together the necessary pieces right now so the developer I hire can simply roll out the image I provide and get it going.

uhm, honestly... from your description of requirements and your limited knowledge of what you want I'd say you are WAY over your head....

start small... think big.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Twinxor posted:

Does anyone else use Konsole on GNOME? For me, there's an annoying effect where switching desktops always causes Konsole to try to grab focus, making its taskbar icon blink. Do others see this bug?

I see that on one of my ubuntu 7.04 boxes... not sure what the root cause is though...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Twlight posted:

I've been bash scripting (go easy my first attempt) And after editing out the portion of code that I've gotten to work, I've discovered a new problem. I would like the text file that I've created to be emailed to myself, but I get:

code:
 U  5 MAILER-DAEMON@magni.  Fri Aug 25 12:59  31/1048  "Postfix SMTP server: errors from mailserver"
 U  6 MAILER-DAEMON@magni.  Fri Aug 25 13:01  66/2237  "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"
Here is the function for mailing.
code:

#mail function, really becuase i wanted to make a function.
function mail {
	/bin/mail -s "$EMAIL_SUBJECT" "$ADDRESS" < $MESSAGE;
	echo "Message Sent!";
}

Seeing the headers and bounce messages would probably be more helpful than just the subjects...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Tipps posted:

I've been running Ubuntu 7.04 on this laptop here for about a month, and everything's been going more or less smoothly since. There's just one thing that been bugging me. Ever since I installed it, my speakers have been really really lovely. I dont know if it's because my sound card is incompatible with it or something, but even with the volume at 100% the sound can barely be heard. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but if there's a way to fix it that would be cool too

What sound card/audio chipset are you using. I know that on my laptop 7.04 introduced some funny bug that required me to toss some extra commands at alsa to get full volume.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Toiletbrush posted:

Is it possible to selectively change/remove window borders in X11?

Basically, I'd like everything as it's supposed to be, except on the terminal window, where I want thin or no borders apart from the title bar.

It is fully dependent on your window manager and the terminal application...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Tipps posted:

I can't seem to adjust the master sound output, and the PCM is at 0db, but the sound still barely trickles out. :sigh:

try adding this
code:
options snd-hda-intel model=3stack
to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. Its a funny bug that creeped into the last version of ubuntu and most notably effects laptops with intel/realtek sound chipsets.. if that doesn't work try setting model to "auto" instead of "3stack".

Edit: also, this requires a module reload for sound, but I alwasy just throw a reboot just to be sure.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

200th Poster posted:

I'm looking for a good distro that is light on system resources, but still looks decent, and uses less than 1gb of space, and I'm having a heck of a time finding one. Any Suggestions?

I'm looking for a hot fudge sundae that has only 50 calories ;) You want small you give up features... you want features you give up resources... it has always been the case. Might I suggest you pickup a 16gb thumb drive and just go whole hog on the linux install?

content:
I hear that JFS is the best filesystem for flash based storage devices (thumb drives etc) anybody know if that is accurate?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Jorenko posted:

And of course, my it seems the drat device doesn't know what its own advertised resolution is. Yeargh. This worked right away in windows.

Complain to ATI... The Nvidia drivers are head and shoulders above what ATI has offered to the linux community. I finally replaced all my ATI cards with high-end nvidia equipment. I won't even bother with ATI anymore; they go right into my "crap hardware" drawer.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I tried it with Gentoo a while back but it poo poo out because it needed exact and precise access to the system, but how about Linux in VMware? Is there anything keeping me from slapping Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian etc on a virtual machine? Is it going to work as intended, or is it going to have too many bugs?

Linux works great with vmware as the host and/or vm. I'm not sure what problems you had before, but Linux is solidly the most stable OS for running on top of or underneath a virtualization system.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think the problem was that Gentoo (and keep in mind this was back in the day of stage 1 installs) required I believe two reboots during the install, including one with the OS not fully installed yet. VM threw an absolute fit about that one.

I'm confused about what the problem you had was. Installing any linux ontop of vmware should be the same proccess as installing it onto a regular old box... With only exception, that I can think of, being that instead of inserting/removind CD/DVD media you are going to be checking unchecking a box to mount/unmount an iso on the host system's FS. Although I guess oyu can use actual physical media too if you wanted...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Should. Isn't. Stage 3 worked fine, but stage 1 got nervous on me because it has to reboot and compile the kernel and all that. I couldn't get past that point.

I'm still confused about this. Rebooting, compiling, all the rest of the gentoo-isms don't do anything that would be broken inside a VM.. did you perhaps have the wrong target arch selected or something?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

JoeNotCharles posted:

For a home computer, I wouldn't bother. The main point of separating them would be so that if one of your partitions gets corrupted, you don't lose the other one. Obviously, this has the most effect if the other partition is actually on a separate drive, which it sounds like it won't be.

This is bad advice and inaccurate to boot... The reason you want to keep your /home on a separate partition is to keep your data separate from your OS and programs. While there are additional advantages to having your /home mounted on a separate drive it does not negate the value of having it on a separate partition on the same drive. This allows you to do things like easily do a fresh install of your complete operating system without having to manually backup all your user data. also it lets you do some other things which can be of considerable value, for instance you can make your /home partition a different FS type than the rest of your install which allow you to use a faster and more stable journaled FS (Reiser, XFS, JFS, Journaled EXT3) as your root while keeping a slightly older and more universally compatible FS for your /home partition which will allow it to more easily be mounted from a different OS in a multi-boot environment.

I don't know about the rest of you, but having /home mounted on an ext2 partition seems to be about the simplest way to ensure that you can get to your data from windows and/or OSX with easily available and stable tools/drivers with little chance of corrupting your data. Other FS types do not have this same ability... yet.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Ext3 should have the same ability. Those tools and drivers should treat it as ext2.

Some tools/drivers designed for ext2 will work with ext3 but in my own personal experience they seem to be far less stable when manipulating the ext3 especially when you have done any tuning above/beyond the default settings when creating the FS, I.E. using a separate journal device.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

chizad posted:

I've got an issue with my Ubuntu (Feisty) install that is driving me insane, and I have no idea where to begin tracking it down. It seems like with every kernel update it changes it's mind about what device my /home drive is. My /home is a 160GB IDE drive which is primary slave. After the initial upgrade, it decided to change it from /dev/hdb1 (where you'd expect it to be) to /dev/sdb1. Since then, every kernel upgrade it seems like it flips from one to the other. My root and swap partitions are fine, but /home can't decide where it wants to be. Looking at my /etc/fstab, I'm thinking it might be because / and the swap partitions are referred to by UUID and not /dev/* like my home dir is.

Am I on the right track here?

So, what is the problem? Sometime during the last several kernel revisions the SATA drivers got moved around into their own sub-system and some chipsets which were running in legacy ide emulation mode got their own native mode. So, different drivers are controlling different hardware and in some cases running it in different ways. Ubuntu addresses each device by it's uuid as you've noticed, which effectively makes the changes transparent to the end user in most situations.

So, why does it matter to you that the device names changed? Does it break something you are using the machine for? Or is it just an annoyance?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

chizad posted:

Guess I just need to change my fstab entry to point to the UUID then, right?

bingo! That'd be a perfectly cromulent solution. You can figure out the UUID to disk mapping by jumping into /dev/disk/by-uuid and doing a quick "ls -l" to see where the UUID symlinks point.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Another option would be to use filesystem labels.

That'd probably work fine, but I can't see any good reason to move too far away from the default FS setup in ubuntu. Primarily because it is a desktop oriented system and access to the FS is primarily handled through the layers of abstraction provided by nautilus. Changing to FS labels from UUID based addressing may end up breaking some rudimentary OS functionality during a future patch/upgrade which I'd be willing to bet that most desktop users would rather not worry about.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Walked posted:

What is the consensus of the Linux+ cert?

I know its entry level, but it seems easy enough and I'm confident I could pass if it I was to take it right now. Is it going to buy me anything at all?

I have my MCDST on the Microsoft side, and close to MCSA. On the Linux side I have only expereince, but am looking at my RHCT towards the end of this year.

Any thoughts on Linux+?

IMHO (you asked for it), as someone who conducts interviews for linux/solaris admins I give very very very little weight to any of the current certifications for linux. People that have them tend to use the vendor provided tools that are specific to their distro and have a (in my experience) far lesser level of skill when using non-distro specific tools and techniques. That said, I'm sure that these certs are probably seen as a good thing by other employers; but I'd personally spend my time/effort reading man pages and learning how to be flexible and powerful with a minimal set of standard tools.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Tracer Tong posted:

I recently (last few months) purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 for notes in class and general tomfoolery. Just after said purchase, Dell announced cooperation with Canonical's Ubuntu, and are now offering it as an OS for some of their products. While they do not offer Linux as an option for my particular item, I was wondering if anyone knew if such support would be available in the future (Dell native support for the various keyboard func keys and perhaps not having to use ndiswrapper).

Thanks!

Dell offers no software support for ubuntu installed systems, only hardware support. At least that is what their site was saying last I looked.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

ExileStrife posted:

Is there a way to view or monitor individual core load in a Dual 3.6Ghz Xeon Gentoo environment? I would like to know if those four cores are actually being used at all.

Go into 'top' then hit '1' to toggle 'SMP view'.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

I'm thinking of installing ubuntu 7.04 on my home desktop, but I have a Radeon 9800 in the PC. Will this cause a problem? I've heard that some graphics card makers suck about putting out linux drivers. Should I have any problems?

ATI drivers are absolute shite and a serious hassle to get working properly with many of the newer accelerated window managers. I've used them in the past and finally figured that at my normal billing rate for computer work it was much cheaper overall to just ditch ATI stuff altogether and replace it with equivalent intel and nvidia solutions which was a simply transition and works about 99% of the time without any additional tweaks. ATI can be made to work, but it requires a serious time/effort investment YMMV.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Furd_Terguson posted:

Thanks to some help earlier in this thread, I now know how to burn DVD's via a CLI, but I would like some help to automate this process a little more. I want to write a bash script that will contain this line

code:
cdrecord -v dev=6,0,0 driveropts=burnfree file.iso
But I want to replace "file.iso" with the actual filename I type in. Browsing to the directory will be done manually, so the file itself will be in the current directory. I tried googling but the guides can be quite involved and I assume this will probably be fairly simple. Thanks for any help.

Checkout the man page for cdrecord; I'm pretty sure you can stick your options into /etc/wodim.conf or something similar and not have to worry about an alias breaking some other script further down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
RE: sudo vs su

I'm not sure why people favor sudo over su for normal no specific uses, I.E. not using the sudo config for granting access to specific binaries to be run as root. However I do have one caution against sudo, when you use sudo to execute a command it is my understanding that it elevates the privileges of the executing user accross the entirety of the OS, which means that other VTY/TTY logins using the same auth may be escalated to root privileges when you didn't intend for that to happen. SU OTOH will spawn a subshell AS root without changing the privileges of a non-root user in any way.

For example imagine you have a normal non-privileged account you use on an mythtv box in your living room and you are remotely logged into that same account via ssh to install some package updates. Now you execute your apt-get using sudo and it escalates your login privileges for a few minutes after you've provided a password, now in your living room during that same window of escalated priviledges your girl friend attempts to delete your back episodes and accidentally 'rm -rf /' instead of whatever she was trying to do. Blammo your root dir is unceremoniously cast into the ether.

I'm not sure 100% that this is still the case, but it certainly was a few years ago according to the CTO of my company. And is thusly the reason sudo sin't available on any of my production machines for work....