Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS

covener posted:

This requires that: You've configured sudo to allow your unpriveleged user to run commands including 'rm' AND to remember passwords AND you're sharing userids/terminals (and your girlfriend explicitly called sudo rm -rf, there's no sudo voodoo that allows implicit privelege escalation across the system)

I can't imagine those two being the case on anything but the most disposable test system in any environment where security or accountability is concerned.

I understand all that, point being that most people (in my experience) who use sudo do use it in a manner as outlined above AND most production unix type systems don't use sudo at all... Those who have access to root do their root tasks in a root shell, those who don't need it don't have access and those who only need some of it submit work requests to those who do have it. Places with more complex privileged requirements than that often use a full blown MAC system instead of trying to emulate one with sudo and hoping that limited sudo users don't find ways to spawn shells or execute arbitrary commands from within the subset of binaries they can execute through sudo.

Point being, I think that people tend to use sudo because it gives them a sense of greater security, however I think that sudo actually provides a FALSE sense of security in allowing more than people tend to think at first glance.

To each their own...

BTW: I just tested my original example case and found that apparently that behavior has been fixed.. which is nice ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

covener posted:

People use sudo for convenience and not having to share a root password. Those are two big wins.

This is what I'm getting at. What security advantage is there in not having a shared root password? If root access is being shared through a presumably limited sudo config it seems that you only have the perceived benefit of limiting root access until which time as someone finds a way to spawn a shell or execute an arbitrary child command.

I don't even let my non-wheel users execute anything outside of a very limited chroot...

Convenience and security have a inversely proportionate relationship in nearly every way. Why would you want people who you don't trust with your root password to be running commands with root privileges?

quote:

I don't think that behavior of sudo ever existed.

That is possible, my knowledge of it was only second hand. And I never bothered testing it, since once the CTO declares something as not allowable there isn't much point in trying to implement something which doesn't add anything to the end user experience.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

-BokkeN- posted:

I'm writing a PHP script to archive files using the exec function and tar. I don't want to store any directory information the occurs *before* the data I'm archiving. I'm using something along the lines of
code:
tar --absolute-names --directory /home/user -chf /backups/08_07_2007.tar ./*
The problem with that is all the files in the tar end up being in a the directory '.'. I know the work around would be to list each file that I want individually. So here's my question, is there any way to basically append the output of 'ls' to the end of that or do I have to get all the filenames in PHP and create a string to append on the end. The PHP was just seems ignorant to me because I think if I could do this with one line if I knew bash a little better.

use magic quotes instead of ./* do
code:
`ls -1 ./*`
I think bash may also support a construct like
code:
$(ls -1 ./*)
Is that what you are asking? Or am I misunderstanding your question.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

indigoe posted:

edit:
Looks like the system has been compromised for much longer than a few days. The security log only goes back 1 month but in that time I found 4 root logins for 3 different IP addresses all in different countries.

I've learnt 2 important lessons so far: make the root password more secure, and move ssh to a different port.

Uhm, setup key only login via ssh and disable remote root login. Would be the lessons you should take away from this...

quote:

Any ideas how I can get the system to boot up again? Is it worth the effort? I really appreciate the help so far.

If you didn't notice the machine had been rooted for at least a month AND based on the relative simplicity of the questions you've been asking I'd say you'd be way in over your head for cleaning any potential rootkits which may be installed at this point and go ahead and start from scratch using better security practices from square one.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Magicmat posted:

Quick question: I've decided to give Ubuntu a try. I'm trying to install it on the master drive of IDE chain 2, which is recognized as /dev/hdc in the Live CD. My problem is that I also want the bootloader on this drive, too. How can I tell which device to put down in the "Step 7 of 7 -> Advanced -> Device for bootloader installation"?

I have a SATA drive (/dev/sda) and a slave drive on IDE 1 (/dev/hdb) in addition to the /dev/hdc drive. In step 4 of the installation the options are listed as:
[ ] IDE1 Slave (hdb)
[X] IDE2 Master (hdc)
[ ] SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda)

The main thing is that I don't want it touching the SATA drive. The problem is that the boot device listings are in GRUB form, i.e. hd0 or hd2 or whatever. How do I translate the /dev device listings into GRUB numbered listings?

I'm a little confused why you want to do it the way your are describing, since that would mean if you wanted to boot linux you'd need to change your bios boot device to hit the drive with grub on it... however.. the grub device to phsyical device mapping is in /boot/grub/device.map, the format is pretty straight forward.
code:
/boot/grub$ cat device.map
(hd0)   /dev/sda

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Col posted:

Not a linux expert or anything, but I have a feeling that logical volume manager (LVM) is designed to do fancy things like resizing partitions possibly on the fly? Might be something to have a quick google about.
This is kinda true, but not useful in this situation as the system would have to be setup on lvm devices to begin with...

quote:

And just by the way, many people find it extremely useful to have /home on a separate partition (not least that you can reinstall the OS whilst retaining all of your settings for programs, personal files etc)

This is great advice which bears being repeated every 2-3 pages of this thread ;)

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Magicmat posted:

No, I want to leave the Windows drive completely untouched. Absolutely no GRUB loading Windows. The idea here is that, when I feel like Linux I just put in the Linux drive and set the correct boot order in the BIOS. Then, when I want Windows again, I unplug the Linux drive and reset the boot order. I don't want to dual boot because I don't want an extra drive in my system taking up power and creating noise when I absolutely won't be using it, thus why I remove it when I'm not using Linux. Plus, I've had bad luck getting rid of GRUB on a Windows drive before. I don't want to repeat that.

Also, can you rephrase how to find the correct drive? I've re-read your second paragraph a couple of times now and I just can't grok it. Keep in mind I'm using SATA here.

I also changed around my system a bit since my last post, moving the drive I want to install Ubuntu on to a PCI IDE add-on card. Now my drive layout looks like:
IDE1 slave (hdb)
SCSI2 (0,0,0) (sda)
SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdb) <-- What I want Ubuntu on. Running of a PCI IDE add-on card. System currently booting off the CD.

Are you high on crazy pills?!?! If you are going to be disconnecting and reconnecting power to your hard drives and reconfiguring your boot devices all the time you are one crazy mofo. That said, if you don't want to your windows disk to be touched even a little bit by your linux disk then just disable the windows disk in bios before installing linux from your live cd. If the only disk visible to your distro's installer is the fresh linux old target drive then you have yourself the very most basic config that installers are designed to handle.

I'm not sure I understand why you want to go through so much trouble to "dual boot".

edit: drat beaten!

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Col posted:

As a random aside, I'm sure I remember burning a cd image on to a dvd as a kid.

It blows my mind... I hole punched 5.25" disks to make them doubles sided as a kid. I'm going to go back to feeling old now.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Scaevolus posted:

You should try vim as well, but the learning curve is a bit steeper than emacs.

Are you high on needle drugs?!?!?!?! vi is way simpler to learn than emacs.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

sund posted:

I want to do mpd, asterisk and maybe myth-backend on the same machine eventually, so a general purpose distro would be better suited. Thanks though.

Gentoo would be my #1 for this job. I've got 9 systems at work booting gentoo from 4gb thumb drives and logging to /var mounted on NFS. works a treat and the lack of crazy dependency hell that you get from redhat/suse/debian based distros just doesn't exist when you do gentoo minimal with a few exclusionary USE flags "-X11 -docs" etc...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

rugbert posted:

Hey, does linux have a sweet spot when it comes to RAM like XP or vista?

Im gunna buy a laptop this week and I want to dedicate it to Linux but I dont know if I should spring extra money for a full gig of RAM since Im on a budget at the moment.

Also - Other than Unbuntu (I didnt like it when I tried it a few years back) whats a good flavor to put on a laptop?

Depends on what you want to use it for. I find that for my general day to day usage (thunderbird + konsole + firefox + beryl) on a 1.8ghz core duo with centrino chipset I picked up a little performance from jumping to 2gb from 1gb, but I RARELY come close to going much past 1.2 or 1.3gb of physical memory in use. Also, as far as linux on a laptop your best bet is going to ubuntu on a 100% intel based system. Intel has bar none the best driver support in the 2.6 kernel tree and Ubuntu is likewise the best laptop/workstation distro. Its come a LONG way in the past few releases and I'm sure you will find yourself pleasantly surprised if it wasn't your cup of tea before.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Al Azif posted:

The tediousness of building a package in Gentoo isn't in the same class as the tediousness of building one in LFS. The only similarity is the wait.

Thank you for this! Everybody seems to thinking that gentoo is LFS.. Which is simply not the case.

deimos posted:

Debian unstable has had dependency problems, but generally speaking they were very mild.

I'm not sure what you've said even makes any sense or addresses any of what i posted. By "dependency hell" I was referring to the trend in most modern distros to target everything to build against the maximum number of build time options. Which results is in common ridiculousness like requiring a full set of X11 libs in order to build vim, and the X11 requires true type, which requires pango, which requires blah blah blah. This is something unavoidable to a certain extent when you base your distro on binary packages since you can't anticipate what features the end user is going to want to use. The alternative is to overload the package repositories with multiple different builds of every package, which is already how some of the worst offenders have been handled traditionally on Redhat based distros and AFAICT on Debian based ones to a lesser extent.

Point being, for a headless network sever running off a very small flash based root you don't want to add an extra several hundred megs of libraries that aren't ever going to ever have their associated functionality used. Likewise your executables will have a smaller memory footprint if they aren't built against all those libraries to begin with.

quote:

Gentoo unstable (or whatever the unstable branch is called) has crippled entire computers before with a long rear end recovery process.

And this is just plain stupid. Why on earth would you run anything called "unstable" and expect anything less than exactly that!??! A vanilla gentoo build is one of the most stable and easy to manage systems available. And the aforementioned lack of unneeded dependencies is one of the reasons why.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

deimos posted:

Also, dependency hell does not generally mean what you think it means, as posted above.

Well, that may be, but I'm trying argue semantics. The problem/situation I've described does exist and is contrary to the ultimate goals that were listed.

quote:

If it's a headless network server running off a very small flash based root, why should it be dedicating most of it's CPU power to compiling instead of disk management like a good headless system should?

If you spend all your time compiling you clearly don't understand the point of a server. Once it is running you are only going to be doing compiles to update/install packages. Likewise if /var is mounted on real disk or NFS or something, as I and others has suggested, then compiling and installing packages will not cause a significant increase in disk usage on the flash based root.

quote:

Also if you can't install vim without x11, you should stop using an apt-based distro, because you clearly don't get it.

I don't think you get it. If I install vim from a binary package AND the binary package was built with the build time options to enable X support then the binary will be dynamically linked to X11 libs which will then be an install dependency. In my experience this means that for the worst offending packages there exists multiple version of the binary packages in order to limit the number of cross dependency between packages that only provide features which aren't used. Either way you end up with multiple version which still cater to whatever the lowest common denominator is which in the case of a general use OS will be a major portion of the compile time options turned on. vi was just the first example that came to mind, another common example is ipv6, very few people use it, every major distro has ipv6 support built into every major package. Gentoo allows both of these situations to be eliminated with a "-ipv6 -X11" when you build initially.

Now I have no vested interest in which distro the OP eventually uses, I'm just trying to clarify the reasoning behind my suggestions. I'm about as agnostic as it goes as far as OS/distros go. I'm typing this on ubuntu while sitting in a meeting about dev on gentoo based servers which are being rolled to backup Solaris servers which are accesses by way of BSD based gateways; when this is over I'm going to go home and watch TV on my windows HTPC...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

SnatchRabbit posted:

drat, already hit a snag. I'm running Ubuntu, but for some reason I can't connect to any of my office's wireless networks. I can see the networks fine in the manager with good signal strength, but when I connect, it asks me for the passphrase, which I put in, then it just has the warning symbol in the network icon. I connect to the same network easily in my Vista dual boot, but no such luck in Ubuntu. Is there a way to check the driver? Not sure why I can't connect.

What wireless chipset are you using? They are not all created equal.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

atticus posted:

So, my laptop hard drive is SMART failing and I have 2GB worth of e-mail to get off of it before it goes. Knoppix can mount the hdd and see the files but when I try to scp the files to my other linux desktop I get "permission denied" even as root.

I desperately need this e-mail. I can post whatever anyone needs.

What is the exact command you are using and the exact error message you are getting?

:ninja:

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

deimos posted:

I am not at my computer, but I am having problems with it's clock going fast, I boot it with the noapic option but I still get severe clock drifts (about a minute or so gain an hour, maybe more). Without noapic I am pretty sure the drifts were worse.

What are the diagnostic steps I can take to see what's up.

PC internal clocks are notoriously inaccurate, setup ntp on a cron job to skew it back to the correct time if it bothers you.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Steve French posted:

I'll give that a try again when I get home from work, hopefully that'll do something for me.

I'm not inclined to believe that I have a hardware issue, since as I said, everything works completely and totally fine in Vista. When I installed the new video card, I also took out my SB X-Fi Platinum (since there are no drivers for it), and my power supply should be able to handle what I've got running (<1 year old Antec 500w, and all I'm running is basically motherboard, cpu, video card, 2 optical drives, and 3 hard drives).

As for media, that's what I'm thinking is most likely. However, the _exact_ same thing has happened every time, with 5 or 6 different combinations of burning Xubuntu and Ubuntu with Gnomebaker and burnatonce. I'm also sure that the isos I downloaded are valid.

I see you've resolved your issue, but just FYI I had a brand new dvd drive that simply refused to read ubuntu install media before. I swore up and down it couldn't be a hardware issue, but I switched out the drive just to be thorough and everything just started working fine. The drive that wouldn't read the linux install media worked fine with the Vista and XP install discs.. YMMV

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

Is there any other way to identify the processor name other than:
code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
This returns the name twice, where as I only want it to show up once.

Edit: In case there was any question, it is because I have a dual core processor:
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Edit 2: head -n5

code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo |egrep '^model name'|uniq
You can use "sort -u" instead of uniq on some platforms it may return unexpected results though. I.E. Solaris before 9

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Steve French posted:

Is there any advantage to doing it that way vs my solution?

nope

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

How can I make an image of a CD/DVD? I have tried
code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom0 of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
and
code:
dd if=/media/cdrom of=NAME.ISO bs=4096
The first I was testing on a DVD I own and just kept going until I finally cut it off at the 20GB mark. The other two would make 16MB files of the same DVD. Is there a better (command line, if at all possible) way of doing this?

You want to do something like
code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
Where /dev/cdrom is the device node for your cdrom/dvdrom drive and ~/cdromimage.iso is the image file you are outputting. The bs portion of your command isn't really neccessary and your last two commands you are trying to dump mountpoint directories, not the device contents.

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

hooah posted:

Went ahead and did the dual-boot with preserving my existing XP stuff. However, now I can't access that drive from Ubuntu. I've installed the ntfs-3g program, but it didn't seem to do much good. When I look at the partitioning tool, it sees this as my second drive:

What's going wrong?

Firstly, stop messing with the partitioning tool. It isn't going to do anything to help you out and you very well may end up wiping your data while messing around. You just need to mount your ntfs partition.

code:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /media/windows
Voila!

What version of ubuntu are you using? The latest, 7.10, seems to automount ntfs partitions read/write using hald. The last version 7.04 may have required manual intervention to mount things up (like the above example, or ntfs partition manager IIRC). At any rate you will find more detailed examples of the mount options for all the different FS types by reading their individual manpages i.e.
code:
man mount.ntfs-3g
man mount.cifs
etc...

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

See I get this when I do that command verbatim.
code:
matthew@matthew-desktop:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/cdromimage.iso
dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
31456+0 records in
31456+0 records out
16105472 bytes (16 MB) copied, 7.14411 seconds, 2.3 MB/s

Stop copy/pasting commands from the forums... What device is your cdrom drive? that needs to be the if "input file".... "reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error" leads me to believe that /dev/cdrom isn't a valid node or symlink to a node on your system. Also, your first post indicated that you were doing /dev/sda1 which dumped over 20gb, which leads me to likewise believe you have copied/pasted that from somewhere else and you're actually dumping from a hard drive which sda1 happens to be on your system.

run a dmesg and look for something like this
code:
[   35.620400]  [b]sdb[/b]:sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 1x/48x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.624962] Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
[   35.625020] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
[   35.628220] sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
[   35.628275] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
[   35.636841]  sdb1
[   35.636919] sd 2:0:0:0: [b][sdb][/b] Attached SCSI disk
[   35.645607] sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[   35.645645] sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5
[   35.645682] sr 1:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
[   35.645722] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005

Crush posted:

I was only typing what you told me to try. Otherwise I always try for whatever is specific to my problem...I have (obviously) already tried cdrom, cdrom0, dvd, and dvdrw. All have the same problem. This apparently isn't working for me which is why in my original post I asked for an alternative to doing it this way. I appreciate your help, but there is no need to assume (which seem to do a lot) anything. It doesn't help, only makes things worse.

Heh, funny that you accuse me of making assumption when you clearly say "I was only typing what you told me to try" when I already pointed out that you need to use the correct device node when doing the dd command. Also you never asked for an alternative way, you asked if there was something better than what you were doing (which, would be a working command line as opposed to your close but no cigar attempts)... which I then outlined for you and again in that post "I do that command verbatim." which sure sounds like copy/pasting. You sure got your panties in a bunch about the perceived assumption on my part. This bit here is loving stellar too, "I have (obviously) already tried," when there is nothing obvious about what you have or haven't tried...

Your first 3 attempts were pretty close to what you should be doing, but you are not making the last little logical leap; one which I've tried to walk you through. Instead you've chosen to lash out because you can't figure out a simple command. Maybe you'd be better off with a point and click gui program like k3b or it's ilk and instead of asking for help and then acting like a total retard when someone actually goes out of their way to try and help you learn something you can go read a loving man page instead of wasting other peoples' time being dense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)