Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...
Alright, Linux newbie here. I have tried out some distros before and ran ubuntu 6.06 and 6.10 for a bit. I downloaded 7.04 last night and I must say I love it. I only have one problem.

My subwoofer isn't working. I have a sound blaster audigy SE and I'm trying to get my bass to redirect (because that's what I had to do in windows) and ALSA doesn't seem to offer any options for that unless I'm missing them somewhere. I found drivers for my Audigy SE but gently caress if I know what the hell that page even says. Any help would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Here's the page I found with drivers and info on my card in linux: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+Audigy+SE.&chip=CA0106&module=ca0106

Daedalus256 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...
I still can't get my sound working properly. Now, it's not working at all.

After I realized that my Audigy SE probably wasn't going to work in linux, I just enabled my onboard AC'97 audio and booted into ubuntu. hosed around with the plugs and yay subwoofer! I began to play with it more and realized that sound was utter poo poo. I was getting massive amounts of distortion because there was no way for me to do a bass redirect so that most of the bass goes to my subwoofer. So it sounded like poo poo, I hosed around in the ALSA mixer for a while before giving up and trying my Audigy SE again. Rebooted with plugs in my Audigy and when I boot back in, I have zero sound! I can't even get test tones to play in the sound preferences!

If anyone have any idea what's going here, I'd appreciate the help.

Daedalus256
Jun 26, 2005
Enjoy the silence...

fischtick posted:

When you re-enabled the Audigy, did you disable the on-board sound in the BIOS? I had a bunch of problems like this with my on-board sound and my audigy2: Everything worked great on the first boot. Sound came out of my headphones, which were plugged into the Audigy. Muck around a bit and do a reboot... no sound. I ran kmix (kubuntu user here), and manually selected the audigy, still no dice. Finally disabled on-board sound in the BIOS, and KDE made a nice bleep noise on the next reboot and has been fine ever since.

I didn't check, but I imagine in my case the audio was coming out of the on-board card after the initial boot-up.

Yeah onboard sound is disabled. Ubuntu did make it's little drum intro sound when I started it up, but no startup sound after that and no sound in anything in feisty whatsoever.