Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
On his Planet KDE blog, James Ots mentions If you're in the USA it might be illegal to download my file, so this file is only for people who live in free countries. Or at least semi-free countries, like the UK.

What? I don't understand this. Is he kidding? I know there are USA restrictions on exporting crypotography still, and also restrictions via DMCA, but I fail to see how either of these apply here. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

6174 posted:

I'm not sure specifically what he is referencing, but my guess would be software patents. Not that it makes it illegal however, but there are potential liabilities with it. My guess is he just doesn't know what he is talking about here.

Also the exporting encryption is pretty much moot now. The only real restrictions are to "terrorist supporting states" such as Cuba, Iran etc.

You still have to fill out special forms before exporting encryption. It's not quite as moot as you think and it hinders U.S. developers.

e: http://www.bis.doc.gov/Encryption/PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html

Z-Bo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 9, 2007

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
I'm trying to find out which file gftp uses to store login credentials. I have an old ftp account I haven't used in over a year on a box that I can only ssh into. I've misplaced my login credentials for the ftp account, but am sure it is still stored in some file on that box. How can I get at it?

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
what would be a use case for:

run-parts --reverse /some/directory

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt

teapot posted:

Stopping services or reversing changes that were done by scripts that do/start something and undo/stop it when given different arguments.

I kind of figured this, but what I am really trying to find is a concrete example where this is actually done. I mean, I understand that "run-parts" is intended to run scripts in chunks, and so the scripts are likely to be different only by a character or two, probably a digit. But, why would I want switch back and forth from scriptchunk1 to scriptchunk9, and from scriptchunk9 to scriptchunk1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Bo
Jul 2, 2005
more like z-butt
I am reading: man mkfs.ext3(8) on Ubuntu Linux

It says:

man mkfs.ext3(8) posted:

-c Check the device for bad blocks before creating the file system.
If this option is specified twice, then a slower, read-write
test is used instead of a fast read-only test.

What is the advantage to a read-write test?