Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

If you stare into the Abyss long enough the Abyss stares back at you.
I have a laptop it's an older model IBM ThinkPad (A31 to be exact)
Pentium4 M 1.4Ghz with a 40 gig HDD and 1 Gig of ram (She may be old but she's my best pal :3: )

Anyway I'm trying to get a good all around XP/Linux dual boot setup, a swiss army laptop so to speak. I've got my partitions all laid out and XP installed but I'm still deciding on a distro. I've setup Fedora on her before (ver. 4) but I want something that's much slimmer, I've also setup Gentoo before multiple times (mostly on impulse) and Gentoo has worked just fine but it's too high maintenance for me in my opinion especially for a "work" laptop.

Basically I'm looking for a distro that is slim and easy to manage package wise yet very tweakable. I’ll be using the laptop for data recovery and network security/diagnostic stuff, and maybe a bit of amateur python development.

I've been looking at Arch Linux and that seems to fit my criteria. Anyone have any comments on it?

One other slightly related question: anyone have any tips on setting the system up to use the drat UltraBay properly under Linux? i.e. swap drives without having to change a bunch of stuff around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

covener posted:

You'd probably be happier with something a little more mainstream that has a lot of eyes on it -- ubuntu or debian are obvious choices.

Yeah I was looking at Debian and (K)ubuntu as well, one of my greatest motivators is something minimal that I can install and build up on.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

juggalol posted:

Swap stuff

well I'm on my laptop that has a gig of ram and a swap partition about 450MB in size and it (the swap) has never been touched. I'm pretty sure the old school swap rules don't apply anymore since we count RAM in gigs these days rather than just a few megs.

Just set it to 512 or even 128MB and you should be fine.

Grey Ghost
Nov 25, 2005

ExileStrife posted:

I'm using a laptop with Gentoo 2.6.17 to play a game, but the harddrive won't stay spinning. The game constantly hangs while the hard drive spins down, only to spin up again a few seconds later.

I've messed with everything I could in the very limited bios of the laptop with the hopes of turning off all 'power saving' features that might encourage it to kill the HD as fast as possible, but even on AC power, it doesn't seem to change.

Googling this only returns people wanting to -turn off- their hard drive when not in use. My laptop is already very good at that. :(

Is there a clever way (maybe a program already exists) to keep the hard drive spinning while the game is going, or at least a manually toggleable solution?

hdparm -S0 /dev/hda should disable the drive spin down feature