Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm so dumb. I update my system every Monday, and for a while now I've gotten the 'no public_key ##################' error. Looking it up, you can invoke

code:
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv keys ###########
to fix the issue, and that prompted what was doubtlessly months worth of updates to my kernel. So my question: is there a way to automate this process so that if there's ever another public key error, I can download the key right away and avoid this issue?

That's the thing about Linux: just when you feel like you've gotten a grip on managing your system, something happens to humble you. Linux is more of a journey than a destination.

i just told my friend the other day when apex stopped launching randomly “never a loving dull day is it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm having a super annoying issue I've not been able to fix consistently since it started happening.

I have an Elgato XLR interface with audio output and (obviously) an XLR-microphone input. However, the microphone works intermittently. It won't even act like it's receiving sometimes. I usually don't notice it isn't working until I'm under time pressure to talk to someone on Discord -- the microphone won't work. It shows up in Alsamixer and is unmuted, and the only "consistent" way I can resolve the issue is by opening pavucontrol and switching the XLR Usb Audio Configuration from Digital Out + Mono Input to Analog Out + Mono Input back and forth like 10x-20x, then sometimes, sometimes, the microphone will spontaneously begin to function normally.

I've tried so many things. I've tried adding snd-usb-audio to alsa-config, One time opening pulse meter just fixed it, like it woke it up from some sleep state? One time, unlocking and locking the input channels fixed it. One time, I couldn't fix it without restarting my machine three times.

It works fine in Windows and MacOS.

I'm so desperate I started asking ChatGPT what other poo poo it could think of to try and resolve it. I just disabled usb power management, I think? I don't even know man.

I will literally try anything at this point.

(I really don't want to replace it because the microphone really wants 60db lift and the interface provides it and it sounds like anything else I'd get I'd have to pair it with a cloudlifter pre-amp or something).

I guess I could just tear it all out and sell it or something (the microphone and interface),,

Oh it's happening in Ubuntu and Arch but seems to be mostly present under Gnome de, and it doesn't care if I'm using pulseaudio or pipewire (I assume because it's using pipewire-pulse) (just using ALSA doesn't fix it either). I haven't tried running a JACK only environment, and I don't... really want to especially for literally no reason.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

McCracAttack posted:

Ah, I turned off Steam Play/Proton and tried a Linux native game. No stutter. Feels like we're onto something here. I'll keep looking into it with your suggestions and everyone else's. Thank you all for the replies.

Forgive me I repeat things you've already found or know about, I just am kinda of going overboard because I was really annoyed by how vague or assumptive a lot of information given by people related to Linux can be so I'm going off a little.

(also if you determine the fix please sure cause I'm curious):

As someone who switched full time to Linux in october because my games ended up running better, (like 30-50FPS avg better in Apex), i'm going to hedge it can likely shader compiling catching you up. Do you skip "compiling shaders" at the launch every time? If you let it run (or download some pre-compiled ones for the game from reddit or somewhere else (github)) that should help a little. What games are we talking here? What other specs are you running?

Otherwise, I really like https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom as a replacement/different Proton, it runs great. Additionally there are proprietary nvidia drivers (which I recommend if you don't have a grudge against closed-source stuff), vs the open-source Nvidia drivers which, admittedly, I've never used because I haven't cared to.

That repo also discussed nvidia-all, a dkms. Make sure you're using the correct dkms drivers for your card too, I was having HELL back in early october cause I had forced the installation of nvidia-42X drivers not understanding that I was supposed to be using nvidia-525.

I recommend compiling the ProtonGE from the source than an store/repo cause it'll ensure it's fully updated to the latest.

Finally, I just went through this tonight after blowing away and reinstalling, I forgot to modify nvidia-settings and set everything to MAX performance (under PowerMizer), as well as flipping off the checkmarks next to "OPENGL SETTINGS" > Sync to Vblank and Allow flipping (set them OFF). Apex FPS went from 120 --> 300. So don't forget to install nvidia-settings and take a look at that there too.

I'm happy to ramble about this more, but I actually wanted to come talk about my success getting displaylink to function on my system to run 2 extra monitors (for 6 total) in Xorg with literally no discernible lag, graphical artifacts, or random disconnects, but embarrassingly the last 5 hours of troubleshooting came down to the classic "try another cable or adapter" (or in one case, literally plug it in you moron).

The trick to getting it to even install the necessary EVDI driver for Displaylink by following apoc139's advice in the latest comment here https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/displaylink

Otherwise it would throw a fit about the kernel being too new. Then, in a kind of excitement, I applied basically a bunch of troubleshooting tips in the https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink to keep the screens from shutting off (seems to indicate Pulseaudio suspension in some cases) and some other bullshit I wish I had noted down but hopefully won't have to do again soon...

If other people want though, I could comb through my browser history and compile some kind of little guide for it, at least in Arch. I'm sure the same kind of ideas would work in Ubuntu etc as well. I literally switched from Ubuntu (back to) Arch today just because the guides seemed more fleshed out (Although thinking about it now, the trouble I was hitting in Ubuntu was I could only get 1 of 2 displays working at a time, so that was probably an adapter/cable/usb hub issue anyway).

Last thing I'll say:

Linux was something I purposefully avoided engaging with whatsoever since I was a teenager cause it seemed like too much annoyance. But I didn't really grok that it would remind me of being 12 and loving with Windows XP to fix whatever poo poo I broke pretty much every week, which is a really satisfying experience.

Shame so many Linux forums are full of... loving assholes.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cruft posted:

I should be able to pass -D to nut-scanner

Pass -Deez nuts to the canner?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JLaw posted:

Got a display settings question, figured I'd run it by y'all first before diving into reddit etc.

This is in Pop!_OS 22.04 w/ NVidia card/drivers.

For various reasons I want to be able to programmatically switch between a couple of display-settings arrangements, let's call them "profiles". I have a collection of xrandr commands to do that.

In one case I am setting a monitor to 144 Hz. When I do that, the visible scaling goes to 200%. I can open the settings GUI and set "Scale" back to 100%, and all is well, but obviously I want to avoid the GUI.

I don't know what is causing the "Scale" change, and I don't know how to change it back. The output of "xrandr -q --verbose" shows no difference before and after correcting the scaling through the GUI. Same for the output of "dconf dump /".

Anyone know what the "Scale" widget in the display settings GUI is affecting, in Pop!_OS or more generally Gnome?

Hm one other thing actually, "xrdb -query | grep Xft.dpi" shows 192 instead of 96 in the 200% scale case. But I don't know much about what's going on in X resource stuff. It looks like I could force it back to 96 with "xrdb -merge" but that doesn't seem to affect the current active state of things.

Is the scaling related to the hidpi daemon in the popos display settings?

does arandr remember scaling?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

JLaw posted:

I have forcibly stopped that daemon from running just to make sure it's not in the picture. I also uninstalled autorandr at some point since its own daemon was fiddling with things in reaction to some events.

arandr and autorandr both just essentially come up with xrandr sequences to invoke. Whether using arandr scripts, autorandr profiles, or manually-composed xrandr commands, the monitor would always end up in "200% scale" if I tried to set it to 144 Hz. (This includes explicitly specifying scale 1 with xrandr.)

I have no idea what is doing that scale-setting.

However, I found the way to set the scale (back to 100%) is through the dbus ApplyMonitorsConfig method as mentioned above, so I just have a script that does that after the xrandr commands, which is good enough for me!

Oh great! Love a solution to a problem. So satisfying.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Some guy I was following on twitter was complaining that Linux was bad because he flashed the iso for two different distros wrong and it had grub/bootloader errors on initialization and he kept digging a hole when people were understandably a little snarky about him acting like it wasn't his fault for not googling or reading any documentation on installation. "They provided an ISO that should be good enough!"

I get the run up into utilizing it can be frustrating, the documentation can be poor, and the community itself is... kind of toxic (most of the time), but I think I am getting the reasons why more and more.

To me, if you aren't kind of infatuated with the idea of your daily computing being lowkey annoying some days and highkey frustrating on others + the idea of searching around for solutions or hacking poo poo together sometimes doesn't sound fun to you then why are these people even trying to install linux in the first place? The killer open source apps??

Is this take stupid?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
to be clear, when what I said about Linux daily usag being annoying some days and frustrating on others I was being genuine. I love the nightmare of running Arch.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always install pop shell for its magnificent tiling extension/feature whenever i install arch. its god's way.

although i liked material shell, it was relatively buggy, have to disable/re-enable it more often than I'd like.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just used archinstall to reinstall with a partitioned /home and BTRFS so hopefully IM DONE REINSTALLING

(lmfao)

also I think one of my sticks of ram is hosed up or something cause my system keeps freezing seemingly randomly recently... I keep putting off digging through the journal cause effort

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I game much harder games and don't even have a windows partition I think it'll be chill

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pablo Bluth posted:

Honestly, who reads man pages these days? The answer is on ArchWiki.

When I got into Linux my friend warned me about posting for help anywhere because Linux users are literally the worst about that poo poo. It comes out sometimes in the authorship of the wiki at times, say you read an Archwiki page and it lacks command syntax and just assumes you know how to do something. I mean, sometimes there are links, but sometimes it just says "enable this" but man, I just installed last night! I don't know about systemctl enable!

Some pages are well documented and others are just like "GLHF"

I just added https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/evdi-compat-git as another alternative to evdi-git to the Displaylink page because I had to spend like 6 hours researching my displaylink until I found the upstreamed solution in that package someone made (praise the higher-tier nerds).

Admittedly though, I vastly prefer having a "centralized" wiki and repo system in Arch to say, Ubuntu. Which maybe is mostly a sense of unfamiliarity with how the packages work. Plus I'm a freak and love using yay -S package or something vs hunting through a shop or going to find .debs on websites (this feels too alike to going to websites to download .exes)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cruft posted:

Linux users can be pretty bad, but Plan 9 users are the actual worst.

Anyway, if it's worth anything, I enjoy helping people with things they don't know, but I can't do anything about those who live to heap abuse on noobs. I believe this sentiment is the same thing that led Raph to create Freenode, actually.

Oh, me too! I think it's super fun. I've always been like that about anything though. Playing a battle royale with a first time gamer? Great stuff, imo.

Yeah, it's impossible to change the tide but all you can do is be nice and try, ya know?

It's just really kinda sad to look at any given topic or thread around the internet and see people being abusive or really picky/mean with noobs who are begging for help. Like, I know if I've gotten to a point where I'm posting a thread, I've exhausted every resource and informational guide I can possibly find. Obviously that isn't true for everyone, some people go straight to posting, but... :shrug:

Speaking of posting:

I have been getting weird system freezes recently. I am hoping it's somehow related to my USB hubs on my mobo cause the symptoms are really strange: the system rejects all input. Cursors continue to blink. Audio and video continue to play. I usually lose internet (but not always). Replugging usb devices, switching cables or ports, does nothing. I usually just reboot and it fixes it, but it is really aggravating. I'm running Arch with Zen kernel and GNOME.

The only related stuff I can find in the journal is this. FYI these are reversed so top is oldest.

code:
Apr 06 09:13:54 blueleaf kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0010 address=0xbe3c1000 flags=0x0020]

Apr 06 09:13:47 blueleaf kernel: usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, device number 4
Apr 06 09:13:47 blueleaf kernel: usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
Apr 06 09:13:47 blueleaf kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: HC died; cleaning up
Apr 06 09:13:47 blueleaf kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.0: xHCI host controller not responding, assume dead
Apr 06 09:13:46 blueleaf kernel: pcieport 0000:20:04.0: Unable to change power state from D3hot to D0, device inaccessible

Earlier it was a Seg 11 fault in gdm-x-session, could not set display :0, this is what I usually get.
code:
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf systemd[1]: Started Process Core Dump (PID 1019/UID 0).
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf systemd[1]: Created slice Slice /system/systemd-coredump.
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Connector state: connected
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Connected with Task 898 (DesktopManagerE) of process 881 (DisplayLinkMana)
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Added i2c adapter bus number 8
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Opened by Task 898 (DesktopManagerE) of process 881 (DisplayLinkMana)
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-f[1017]: Cannot open display: 
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-binary[999]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code 1
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session[999]: gnome-session-binary[999]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code 1
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-c[1016]: cannot open display: :0
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-c[1015]: cannot open display: :0
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[999]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/gnome-session
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[1008]: xhost:  unable to open display ":0"
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[999]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE)
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/eve/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]:  for help.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]:          at http://wiki.x.org
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: Fatal server error:
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
                                                 #2  0x000055c9b33c8ea0 n/a (Xorg + 0x156ea0)
                                                 #3  0x00007f2c7501bbb5 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x85bb5)
                                                 #4  0x00007f2c7509dd90 n/a (libc.so.6 + 0x107d90)
                                                 ELF object binary architecture: AMD x86-64
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf systemd[1]: Started Process Core Dump (PID 1019/UID 0).
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf systemd[1]: Created slice Slice /system/systemd-coredump.
Apr 06 09:14:44 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Connector state: connected
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Connected with Task 898 (DesktopManagerE) of process 881 (DisplayLinkMana)
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Added i2c adapter bus number 8
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf kernel: evdi: [I] (card1) Opened by Task 898 (DesktopManagerE) of process 881 (DisplayLinkMana)
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-f[1017]: Cannot open display: 
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-binary[999]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code 1
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session[999]: gnome-session-binary[999]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code 1
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-c[1016]: cannot open display: :0
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf gnome-session-c[1015]: cannot open display: :0
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[999]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/gnome-session
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[1008]: xhost:  unable to open display ":0"
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[999]: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/eve/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]:  for help.
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]:          at http://wiki.x.org
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: Fatal server error:
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 13: /usr/lib/Xorg (_start+0x25) [0x55c9b32b12b5]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 12: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0x8a) [0x7f2c74fb984a]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 11: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_init_first+0x90) [0x7f2c74fb9790]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 10: /usr/lib/Xorg (SProcXkbDispatch+0x1c93) [0x55c9b32b036f]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 9: /usr/lib/Xorg (WaitForSomething+0x1c9) [0x55c9b33c0ec9]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 8: /usr/lib/Xorg (UnlockServer+0x282) [0x55c9b33c58c2]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 7: /usr/lib/Xorg (config_init+0x478) [0x55c9b34486d8]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 6: /usr/lib/Xorg (config_init+0x386) [0x55c9b34485e6]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 5: /usr/lib/Xorg (xf86PlatformDeviceCheckBusID+0x2c0) [0x55c9b3421d90]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 4: /usr/lib/Xorg (present_register_complete_notify+0xc0) [0x55c9b334de80]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 3: /usr/lib/Xorg (xf86HandleColormaps+0x1193) [0x55c9b33ed923]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 2: ? (?+0x0) [0x0]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (__sigaction+0x50) [0x7f2c74fcef50]
Apr 06 09:14:43 blueleaf /usr/lib/gdm-x-session[957]: (EE) 0: /usr/lib/Xorg (dri3_send_open_reply+0xdd) [0x55c9b33cd9dd]
Somehow it seems to be related to Vivaldi in some fashion, cause switching off it stopped most freezes? But it just happens, seemingly randomly. I can't trigger it reliably, so, idk.

Just throwing this in here, kinda stumped. I've looked around for bug reports but a lot are from like, several years ago, not recently.

The only other thing I've done was update my BIOS, install a Ryzen 9 5900X, and a cooler. I guess I *did* take some LED+shrouds off two of my RAM sticks, but I have a strong feeling that isn't it. (I ran a Memtest86+ 1 pass and it reported a PASS, but I probably should have ran it at least 4 more times...)

I was originally thinking it might be related to evdi/displaylink, but uninstalling those drivers and settings did not stop the issue.

Finally, this has persisted between reinstalls. I'm at 3 reinstalls since it started occurring, which was shortly after installing the new CPU/updating BIOS, etc. I even double-checked my arch iso after downloading it for faults/errors.

Switching off GNOME to XFCE4 did not alleviate it either, although XFCE4 was able to recover more consistently, but I think it was still attached to some gnome functions despite not being logged in it. I haven't tried a FRESH non-GNOME install yet. Wayland isn't really an option due to Synergy and I just generally don't have a good experience with it, but I might be setting it up wrong in the first place.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 6, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

cruft posted:

Based on just those two log snippets it sure looks like some kind of hardware problem. I'm inclined to suspect RAM, but maybe it's the firmware on the USB controller chip (which you probably can't modify) or... I mean, my work team tried to chase down a glitch like this recently and after about a month of replacing stuff we had to just give up and replace the whole motherboard. I'd say my team is above average competent at this sort of thing, but at some point you're going to need to decide that the time and energy required to figure out the problem is worth more than the money to just start over.

I guess I'd want to at least try a new OS first, though. Maybe some weird bit got flipped in your kernel code or some important daemon.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking and hoping -- I'm swapping the motherboard tomorrow with a new one with +7 more usb ports, should be a grand time at the end of it all. I have reinstalled my OS and changed distros several times to various improvements and non improvements.

Klyith posted:

Yeah arch wiki is good, but also designed for arch users. Who tend to be either the guys who already know all the basics, or guys who think they know all the basics and definitely don't need any hand-holding.

Arch as a first-time user is gonna be like, hope you like reading docs. If you're confused about stuff like that, I'd drop to general google and look around. Like, red hat also has good docs for a lot of the more infrastructure type parts of linux like systemd.

So I've mentioned before in the thread, vivaldi / chrome have been real problems for me. I use wayland rather than x, but the worst problems were when running them in x mode. And it had to do with video acceleration.
:words:

Oh yeah, I definitely started on Arch for no real reason aside from the fact I could tap my buddy's shoulder anytime I was finding myself in a situation where google was not providing me with what I needed (or I was feeling lazy). At this point I'm far enough in I feel like I have a good enough basic understanding I'm not floundering so hard like I was initially. I definitely would have probably abandoned it if I didn't have him helping me on the first manual install, which we did for kicks.

As for the Firefox suggestion, honestly, I'll try it. So Far just switching off Vivaldi to pure Chrome has been working pretty well, but Firefox might be the ultimate destination depending on what the mobo swap results in. I hope at the very least the new mobo fixes my intermittent USB failures, cause it's honestly insanely annoying.

Thanks you two for the suggestions and advice!

Computer viking posted:

My boyfriend is a desktop QA for Vivaldi and a linux user; I can nudge him towards video codecs in X. Though I suspect the underlying problem may be outside their code.

Yeah, why not? I looked a little on their forums but most of the stuff that was being referenced was pretty old (6+ months) and not being commented on much anymore.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mescal posted:

is there "pair" and "connect" or like pair and two different kinds of connect with bluetooth? because it feels like the's two levels of connect. steamos doesn't generally want to reconnect to a controller. it kinda feels like both sides of the connection have a more passive and more active connect signal going on, and they don't always match right? if you specifically click connect in the desktop ui AND hold down the recessed pair button on the switch controller, they will do it fine every time! that makes me think they're totally capable of working well over bluetooth. everybody's so drat pessimistic about bluetooth and yeah it sucks but there's more than that going on with the connectivity issues.

maybe it's probing the low energy bluetooth? like, my bluetooth speaker has a "LE bluetooth" mode that the remote uses to pair with it but a phone fails to... LE is always is present when I search for it but I have to specify pairing mode to turn on the high energy bluetooth

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I use cd . to go back and cd .. to go back 2

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just started playing Shenzhen I/O, which has a whole RTFM instruction in the game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ziasquinn posted:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking and hoping -- I'm swapping the motherboard tomorrow with a new one with +7 more usb ports, should be a grand time at the end of it all. I have reinstalled my OS and changed distros several times to various improvements and non improvements.

I swapped the mobo and my system's overall performance is vastly improved??

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah! Something really tickles me about how it's still being maintained and isn't just some forgotten thing. The changelog says it was rewritten for version 2.0.0 so I'm kind of not surprised that the older version was crusty and barely functional on a modern system - you usually don't rewrite something if it works great.

This is how I feel about trying to get FF11 to run on every piece of poo poo I own (except ARM stuff I guess)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
mescal just download arch iso, pop it on a flash drive, then boot it up and type "archinstall" bada bing bada boom you're in baby

EDIT: LMFAO I forgot the archinstall is broken until the new iso release on May 1 so you have to actually boot up the arch live environment and

code:
pacman -Syu archinstall
then type
code:
archinstall

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
archinstall gives you options for desktop environments so you do at least boot into a GUI

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

anyone who tells someone "no use my distro instead, it doesn't have problems" should be forced to follow up with hand-hold support for any and all problems that person encounters

it's just the loving worst

I'm game

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

I always feel incredibly at home when yos goons talk about installing gentoo from stage 1 in like ~2003 and blowing it away at some point afterwards because the tales are exactly the same as my own.

fond memories of letting stuff compile while I went to school. taught me a bit of patience I guess too when you’re compiling everything from scratch on like a pentium 4 or earlier

I was running gentoo on a VM with 18 threads and it took like three loving hours to update @world with 67 packages,

when I ran it on the bare metal with 24 threads it took 15m to update @world with 250???

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr. Crow posted:

the gently caress is a tty

tty these tits

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like pop os enough it's my back up if it's a one off or something. And hell, I run pop shell in my Arch install anyways.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

The traditional way to do that is to run a separate X server for each monitor.
How to do that is buried deep inside the docs of your login manager.

I used to do that in order to experiment with different DEs. I think I used gdm as login manager at the time. They went to different virtual terminals and I could switch to which my one monitor and inputs was pointed with ctrl-alt-f9 and ctrl-alt-f10 or something, which was the default back then.

Might not be exactly what you want, I suppose. But maybe there is an option to only switch the inputs and not the monitor.

You can and should login as a different user for each session, which makes separate audio easy.

This sounds swank. I currently just use an HDMI switcher and manually change the sound output and it's kind of a PAIN!!!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BrainDance posted:

Audio on Linux....

For me, I was gonna do that, but for some reason half the time when I switch from the CRT (which is stereo) to the receiver I just lose the 5.1 profile. Like it vanishes from the list. So I'm either using stereo or rebooting.

That and for all my talk of "Sid actually is very stable it rarely gives me problems!" something broke with an update and now, I'll have the 5.1 profile. I do the speaker test for each speaker, they all work. Then I use firefox, jellyfin, qmmp, anything and audio only comes out of front left and right. Reinstalled pulse, went back to pipewire, doesnt matter just doesnt wanna play out of anything besides those 2 speakers. I set it to stereo and it'll come out of all the speakers, but that's not the same. It doesnt matter, it's what I expected to eventually happen and I just run Sid for fun.

That was half of the reason why I was like "well, I've been meaning to build this computer out of leftover parts to replace the old laptop running it all in the first place, might as well now" and I'll just keep a Debian stable install alongside it or something for when it breaks in an annoying way and actually use the laptop with Sid on it for laptop stuff. I need a place to stick a bunch of drives and run the jellyfin server from anyway after my 90s tv station project got massive.

Sometimes I get lucky and plugging in my Luna controller automatically switches the output to it, but half the time I forget to check before sitting down at my couch and then I gotta get up again.

But yeah, I get it -- I can only get the HDMI out for the sound to appear if I switch to the TV, turn it on, then cycle the HDMI switch 2x... it might appear inside pavucontrol....

Also, FYI the amazon luna controller is nice. Really nice build quality, basically a xbox controller with clickier buttons and playstation triggers (no haptics). I think its on sale right now? (has wired, bluetooth, wifi)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Not really a question here but your friendly reminder to remember to put a -y on your fsck so you don't have to do what I did and leave a playstation controller balanced to hold your enter key down for 3 hours.

modern problems require modern solutions

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BrainDance posted:

I got another question that I've been having trouble googling because I'm not sure what the right words are for my problem, and I get results about switching the primary monitor and I don't want to do that.

I've got 3 monitors plugged into one computer, an old PVM (DP-5) through DP to HDMI then an HDMI to composite convertor (it was the only way and quality barely matters), an actual monitor (DP3), and a projector (HDMI-0). There are a couple [...]

Idk if this helps exactly but i usually use arandr (https://christian.amsuess.com/tools/arandr/) and set hotkeys to point to the shell scripts (like ctrl+home for home monitors and ctrl+end for home/work, then ctrl+alt+home for switching primary to my TV)

so if I am going to use my TV I hotkey the primary monitor setting then hit the hdmi switch button

i THINK arandr scripts remember the refresh rate (or at least you can set them to, cause they're just xrandr scripts)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

So I had a problem with zfs's exporting of nfs shares, where the zfs wanted to share a dataset that I had deleted and that crashed the nfs service.

I ended up following this guide and it worked: https://quinncasey.com/zfs-nfs-share-fix-removed-dataset/
But it asked me to edit a file that said "!!! DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE MANUALLY !!!". So now I am asking if there is an actual recommended way to fix that problem, I found it annoying to google.

I have a mirrored setup where I had deleted the dataset on my main machine, the deletion got autosynced to my nas, and the nas is supposed to share it to my other devices through nfs.
The different new dataset that I created at the same time got shared perfectly.

in my experience, usually if there's a "don't edit this file!!" warning in a sys folder/file then there's a local/usr version they want you to actually edit, but if it doesn't document that, what are you supposed to do? guess?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

additional chapter in this saga

dolphin on debian 12 apparently chokes trying to transfer 10+gb files from your phone camera to a network share. no issues with files under ~25mb, but just loving dies if you try to move a 110mb video across

popOS with it's plucky "files" app is a champ and just loving does it. currently posting from popOS

I use Nemo, with its builtin "Connect to server" option, op. (Although the open as root in nemo is broken rn cause it doesn't know what DISPLAY:1 is vs DISPLAY:0?, too lazy to fix. I blame Nixos)

(I think gnome's default Files sucks rear end!!!)

alternately, if you're on KDE or even GNOME, can't you use GSConnect or KDEConnect? I Guess not if you have an iPhone..

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 18, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

spiritual bypass posted:

KDE Connect file transfer is superb and works everywhere, not just KDE

oh yeah for sure, I just was thinking like, "natively" which is kinda moot

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
hmm I dropped off halfway thru book 2 should I pick it up again??

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Parsec, RealVNC, both work in my x11/nixos to max

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Look at Linux From Scratch it may have what you desire

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

Another endeavor thing: when I update the system (with eos-update) and walk away while an AUR package compiles it asks for the password again after it finishes compiling and then times out, aborting the installation. Can I prevent that behaviour somehow?
This should do it (the problem in the thread is related to repeatedly asking, not the timeout):

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=198042 posted:

I added the following line to /etc/sudoers, but it didn't solve the repeated password request.

Defaults timestamp_timeout=0

Either way, it saves the compiling usually so you can just rerun it and it'll be way way way faster

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

I have a laptop with Fedora 38 (Mate as the desktop environment, if that's relevant). For some reason, Firefox on this laptop signs me out of websites very often. Like within a day of signing in, I think. This has happened across at least this site and inoreader.com, but doesn't seem to have happened for reddit. I have Firefox sync turned on, so my settings on this machine should be the same as the other two computers I'm signed in on (both running Windows 11). Since this seems to be specific to Linux, I'm asking here. Any ideas what might be going on?

You know this was happening to me too and then it just stopped. I thought it might be cause I was updating it? I never figured it out either.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

I got a cron job that syncronises my desktop with several cloud services. When I shutdown while it is running it gets aborted after a timeout (systemd's default 90secs), which leaves a stray lockfile behind which I need to fix manually.

I want to increase the timeout that systemd gives the job to finish when I shutdown the system. Preferably specifically so that it still aborts fast when stopped manually, but that is not critical.

Googling gives me people recommending "TimeoutStopSec" or "TimeoutStopUSec" and people answering that it doesn't work. And the option doesn't even appear in systemd's actual documentation.
Others suggest changing "TimeoutSec" which the documentation suggest is only for startup, but at least it is documented.

Trying to set the stops, "systemctl show TimeoutStopUSec" gives the time I expect, "systemctl show TimeoutStopSec" gives no output.
Setting TimeoutStopUSec in the override files gives :"Unknown key name 'TimeoutStopUSec' in section 'Service', ignoring"
Setting TimeoutStopSec in the override files sets the return for "systemctl show TimeoutStopUSec" to the requested value, still no return on "show TimeoutStopSec".

Anybody has some advice on what to change and/or where systemd hides the documentation on those things.
And also how to test this, after overriding TimeoutStopSec I noticed that the only way to actually test it is waiting for the job to start and shutting down then. Is there an easier way?

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/system.conf.d.html

Systemd documentation posted:

DefaultTimeoutStartSec=, DefaultTimeoutStopSec=, DefaultTimeoutAbortSec=, DefaultRestartSec=
Configures the default timeouts for starting, stopping and aborting of units, as well as the default time to sleep between automatic restarts of units, as configured per-unit in TimeoutStartSec=, TimeoutStopSec=, TimeoutAbortSec= and RestartSec= (for services, see systemd.service(5) for details on the per-unit settings). For non-service units, DefaultTimeoutStartSec= sets the default TimeoutSec= value.

DefaultTimeoutStartSec= and DefaultTimeoutStopSec= default to 90 s in the system manager and 90 s in the user manager. DefaultTimeoutAbortSec= is not set by default so that all units fall back to TimeoutStopSec=. DefaultRestartSec= defaults to 100 ms.

This what you were talking about finding? I know you said you checked the documentation, idk if its not reporting properly tho :(

also?
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/latest/systemd.service.html#TimeoutStartSec=

quote:

If terminate is set the service will be gracefully terminated by sending the signal specified in KillSignal= (defaults to SIGTERM, see systemd.kill(5)). If the service does not terminate the FinalKillSignal= is sent after TimeoutStopSec=

I guess ppl think USec somehow sets user space timeout? Idk. I'm a noob

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It was fun I just pulled up the documentation and control f'd for timeout, and kept getting deeper.

I thought the same thing "that doesn't make intuitive sense" about the conf