Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Mantle posted:

I guess as an alternative, how is LibreOffice/OpenOffice/FreeOffice with compatibility these days? It's been decades since I've tried but last I did some things like tables didn't work perfectly. Is there a clear winner of the three?

Only office is like 98% compatible with Ms Office (and also looks like MS Office)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well Played Mauer posted:

So which is the best they can manage docx? I use google docs primarily but have to deal with Word files every month or so to edit contracts and such. Libreoffice wasn’t the most pleasant thing to use so if there’s an installable alternative that’s better I’d like to try it.

This is something I’ve googled before but it was SEO’d to hell and back.

Try Only Office, it handles docx just fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Manjaro KDE worked fully out of the box on my 2011 macbook. Pop OS and Ubuntu on the other hand were plagued with sound, WiFi, and Bluetooth issues. This is my full knowledge of running Linux on a macbook.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Tad Naff posted:

Oh yeah, the onboard wifi was pretty flaky (would work for about 15 minutes then either refuse to connect, or sometimes freeze the whole machine) so I blacklisted that and just use a USB wifi dongle.

Oh yeah forgot about that, WiFi never really worked for me either. I assumed it was the card being faulty so also just bunged in a USB. Seen other unibody mac users complaining about WiFi being poo poo on Linux so probably a universal issue.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I've encountered a quite annoying issue on Arch that I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot/fix.

For some reason in the last 24 hours my system has stopped recognising usb devices (external drives, controllers etc.) I plug them in and nothing registers.

However, if they are plugged in before I boot the system all work and as long as one is plugged in I can disconnect/reconnect others and they are recognised. Then if I disconnect all USB devices/unmount drives the issue arises again, and nothing is recognised until I reboot with them plugged in.

The only change that has happened in my system over the past 24 hours was doing a system update through pacman (which I assume is where I broke it by not reading/understanding the console output).

All my system files are on a seperate /root partition so I am tempted just to nuke the lot to a fresh install, but it seems like such a ballache when I assume it's basically just a config file that I need to fix or restart a daemon.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 24, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It actually seems to be fixed now but I have no idea how. Installed tlp and goofed around with some power settings, switched back to the lts kernel and done some reboots. :iiam:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The key to Gnome is learning the key bindings, and then it's cool.

Also installing as many extensions as you can up to the point of it breaking on you.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Pop Cosmic shell extension is also really good if you want Gnome to act like a twm but can't be bothered learning how to configure one. It's ludicrously simple to use.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Framboise posted:

I'll check it out! I really like the level of customization you can do with tiling window managers but from what I've experienced with them so far it's a hell of a project to take on compared to the ready-to-go nature of DEs. I wanna do a TWM sometime but maybe once I'm more acclimated.

Here's a link to the source/user guide, it's can be a bit glitchy on Wayland but still very useable.

https://github.com/pop-os/shell

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Falcon2001 posted:

Debating dual booting Linux for a while to see how it holds up for gaming/etc, figured I'd ask for advice first. I use it regularly (daily) at work but haven't looked at a linux desktop outside of a recovery usb in over a decade. So, couple questions:

• What's the current hotness for desktops? I'm most familiar with Debian-style distros, but I could probably try something else if it wasn't too crazy. No, not Arch.
  • How do things like g-sync or other more 'advanced gaming bullshit' work on Linux? (DLSS/etc)
  • What's the state of nVidia drivers for Linux?
  • Any other tips for a windows dude trying out Linux on the desktop?

I've never had a good experience dual booting, maybe it's easier to set up now though. Always been of opinion that seperate HD is the way to go, so that windows won't suddenly delete grub or something.

The trendy things right now are immutable distributions and NixOS, both come with a learning curve. You're probably best to stick with stock Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint etc for now. Nvidia situation still bad, some distro handle better than others, Pop os, nobara etc.

If you want to try before you commit run it in a VM for a month or two and get all of your distro hopping urges out of your system that way.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How easy is it to switch to systemd boot?

I want to try it because I get this consistent '__common_interrupt:1.55 No irq handler for vector' (repeated 4/5 times) warning whenever I boot which as far as I tell is harmless and does nothing but slow down boot time and annoy me aestheticaly. I cant find any way to disable it or fix whatever is causing the issue. The only distribution I've tried where my laptop boots normally is Pop OS, and presumably thats because it's using systemd boot rather than grub. Problem is I don't really want to use Pop OS now because it feels pretty dated and annoyingly buggy.

Everything else works fine, this error/warning just annoys me more than anything. Is it worth tinkering to try and fix, or is systemd-boot something that you really need to set up at install.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 12, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Volguus posted:

Windows "deleting grub" was never a thing, but it did happen (in the old days) for windows to overwrite MBR and then one needed to re-run grub-install from a live system. Nowadays, however, one should just have one EFI partition to which both windows and linux write to, and they don't bother each other at all. Each have their own folder in there.

Cool, the last time I tried it was like 2007 or something and it just had a habit of continually breaking to the point that I just nuked Windows altogether.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm using Fedora KDE spin currently. It's fine, incredibly boring, everything seems to work without much fuss.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, the unironic NixOS suggestions for a Linux newbie asking for babies first distro are just wild lol.

Man wanted the hot new thing.

But yeah baby's first distro is pretty much ubuntu or mint. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fraud and a charlatan.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Someone posted on Reddit this morning that they want an immutable distro that can use all package management formats (rpm, deb, etc).

SMH

Is that not Vanilla os or am I missing something?

Edit : nm I'm confusing it with distrobox, think I learned about both at the same time.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 14, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Yeah that was the one, of the approx 500 trendy distros of the past year.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I don't think I'd use an immutable personally but I can see the value of them, especially if it's a system as stripped down and basic as Chrome OS. That's the linux you can give to your techphobic grandma and she'll still be able to get into her emails and go online, and you won't need to worry about janitoring it for them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The only issues I have ever faced with flatpak apps are not respecting the system theme, or the vs code flatpak just being sort of hobbled because I couldn't be arsed taking the time to set the permissions correctly. On the whole they are pretty good though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

What are the best first things to learn as a know nothing Linux n00b?

Basic command line stuff, at least enough to know how to navigate around the filesystem and cut/copy/paste.

You don't even need it in 2024 the year of the linux desktop, but it's still good to know.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I thought it was still basically mandatory to buy an old thinkpad if you want to run Linux on a laptop.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do System 76 build their own laptops or are they just rebranded Clevo devices?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'd just go with Mint for a noob distro. It's fine, it works, everything is good. Dual booting I've always been advised is a ballache and best avoided.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Well that's the end of that little thought experiment. Thanks anyway goons!

Just virtual machine it? Unless you have a lovely processor and ram you can run a decent Linux desktop in a VM.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Windows Subsystem for Linux? I've heard of it but have no clue what it is or how to use it.

There's nothing I need Linux for, I just like to try new things. VMs may just suffice for now though. My machine is a Ryzen 5600x, 16GB RAM on an NVMe drive. Performance even only giving the VM two cores and 4GB RAM is surprisingly decent for mucking around with.

Just throw more cores at it if you find it laggy, and set up usb pass through for peripherals and shared folders to the windows instance if you want to access stuff on that. It's probably the safest solution if you are worried about breaking your wife's system.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Seems kinda cruel to inflict linux on a mere child.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Nah I think it's a fine idea.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Raspberry Pi have a lot of stuff aimed at kids, even preteens. You could pick up a 400 which has the dinky little keyboard and mouse, or the bare board if she wanted to get into building stuff.

Or my advice, refurb thinkpad, vanilla arch install with hyprland WM.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pi is supported for most mainstream distros, though whether it can run them well is the main thing. Maybe a lightweight one like MX or Mint XFCE would be better.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dehumanise yourself and face to Gnome, theming is a waste of your time and security. Just accept the adwaita lifestyle.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You can try xscreensaver, it's extremely retro however (think Windows 95/98 style retro). There was a port of the Mac Arial screensaver but I never got it working correctly.

Though maybe xscreensaver doesn't work on Wayland idk. It's sad, I miss having something goofy pop up when I'm away.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Someone fork Wayland to add screensaver support so I can run Johnny Castaway