Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Quick question--I am going to run the latest version of knoppix straight from the CD/DVD drive. Will I be able to run/install programs and use the bluetooth hardware on my laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Would someone be willing to give me a crash course in compiling and running a c program in KDE? I've got the latest release running, a program.c and makefile files(not written by me), but I can't seem to figure out how to get them up and running. It's been a long time time programming 101 and even then I only got my feet wet in java. I think I'm using the cc99 command for compiling in KDE, although I must be doing something wrong since the program kicks out a bunch of errors when compiling. If there's an easier way to do this than the KDE compiler someone please let me know. Could someone just write up a quick how-to, if that's even possible?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

fischtick posted:

Also, ubuntu doesn't ship with development tools. Make sure you have them. The quickest way is via the "build-essential" meta-package: apt-get install build-essential.

[edit] durrr, you're running c99, you have dev tools. What happens when you type 'make' ?

I get a series of errors with my c program to the effect of "warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'"

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

GeneralZod posted:

Post program.c and full error log, please :)

program.c:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ehzrozm0aam

knoppix@Knoppix:~$ cd /media/sdb1/program
knoppix@Knoppix:/media/sdb1/program$ make
gcc -Iinclude -W -g3 -lprogram src/program.c -o program
src/program.c:29:33: error: program/program.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:30:27: error: program/hci.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:31:31: error: program/hci_lib.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c:32:30: error: program/rfcomm.h: No such file or directory
src/program.c: In function 'parse_rw':
src/program.c:39: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c: In function 'program':
src/program.c:146: error: 'HCI_UP' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:146: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
src/program.c:146: error: for each function it appears in.)
src/program.c:152: error: 'BTPROTO_RFCOMM' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'bt_get_remote_name':
src/program.c:190: error: storage size of 'cr' isn't known
src/program.c:193: error: 'bdaddr_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:193: error: expected ';' before 'bdaddr'
src/program.c:201: error: 'bdaddr' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:203: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
src/program.c:204: error: 'ACL_LINK' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:206: error: 'HCIGETCONNINFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:208: error: 'HCI_DM1' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:208: error: 'HCI_DH1' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:223: error: 'HCI_OE_USER_ENDED_CONNECTION' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'rfcomm_read':
src/program.c:251: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'bt_rfcomm':
src/program.c:265: error: storage size of 'req' isn't known
src/program.c:267: error: 'bdaddr_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:267: error: expected ';' before 'bdaddr'
src/program.c:276: error: 'bdaddr' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:278: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:284: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memcpy'
src/program.c:284: error: 'BDADDR_ANY' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c:287: error: 'RFCOMMCREATEDEV' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'custom_cmd':
src/program.c:382: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strstr'
src/program.c:390: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'bt_rfcomm_rel':
src/program.c:411: error: storage size of 'req' isn't known
src/program.c:413: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:416: error: 'RFCOMMRELEASEDEV' undeclared (first use in this function)
src/program.c: In function 'rw_cmd':
src/program.c:434: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:442: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:455: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'parse':
src/program.c:500: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'memset'
src/program.c:503: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c:506: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'search_cmd':
src/program.c:550: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c: In function 'list_cmd':
src/program.c:600: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
src/program.c:614: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strchr'
src/program.c:622: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strstr'
src/program.c: In function 'info_cmd':
src/program.c:643: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'strlen'
make: *** [program] Error 1

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

GeneralZod posted:

The bolded part looks very odd to me. All errors seem to stem from the fact that the included files mentioned (and also the standard library files) are not found, which may or may not be caused by the "-Iinclude" bit. Can you post the makefile, too? Where did you get this program & makefile?

makefile -

CC = gcc
CFLAGS = -W -g3
LD = ld
LDFLAGS = -lbluetooth
SRC = src
INC = -Iinclude

all: program

program:
$(CC) $(INC) $(CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(SRC)/program.c -o program

clean:
rm program

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm thinking of installing ubuntu 7.04 on my home desktop, but I have a Radeon 9800 in the PC. Will this cause a problem? I've heard that some graphics card makers suck about putting out linux drivers. Should I have any problems?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
What are some popular Windows applications that won't work on Linux?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Col posted:

Using Wine, Photoshop doesn't work flawlessly. (GIMP is alternative for most of its functions). Some winamp functions don't work (eg playlist) - use amaroK as its better.

If you're willing to pay, Crossover office will handle MS Office, iTunes etc.

Perhaps if you told us what you use we can tell you if there is an alternative?

Not really trying to do anything, was just curious which other big name software apps don't support Linux, as you mentioned iTunes and Photoshop being iffy. Any others of note?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
How would I go about uninstalling ubuntu 7.04 from a Vista/Ubuntu dualboot? Only 1 HDD, each OS on its own partition. Not that I don't love Linux, I just have to remove ubuntu for work reasons.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm a linux noob, but I have a system running ubuntu. What's the easiest way to run Windows without doing a dual boot? I was thinking VMWare or WINE. Which of these, or any others, would be easiest to setup and use?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

jstultz posted:

Do you want to actually run a Windows install, or do you just need to use a few Windows programs?

I guess either one would be ok. Is it just easier to run a few programs with an emulator?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Scaevolus posted:

What programs do you want to run?

Also, WINE Is Not an Emulator.

I guess some games and emulators that won't run in Linux (NullDC is one) as well as some other video encoders and junk that I've just gotten used to in Windows. I'd just like to have both OSes at my disposal without having to reboot.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

thenameseli posted:

VMware doesn't support 3d acceleration in Windows, so you will not be able to play recent games. You should try Wine for this; many games work well with only a mild speed penalty. I would see how much you can get out of Wine before resorting to a full-blown VM. It is easier to integrate individual applications into your desktop with Wine.

I think I'm going to try out VMWARE just for my own enrichment. Which specific product should I get?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
drat, already hit a snag. I'm running Ubuntu, but for some reason I can't connect to any of my office's wireless networks. I can see the networks fine in the manager with good signal strength, but when I connect, it asks me for the passphrase, which I put in, then it just has the warning symbol in the network icon. I connect to the same network easily in my Vista dual boot, but no such luck in Ubuntu. Is there a way to check the driver? Not sure why I can't connect.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Intel 945 it looks like. For now, I've been usi ing the wired ethernet. I'm trying to get my vmware installed but I'm kind of lost. I've dled the rpm file for linux but not sure how to install it via command line.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone know if there is a way to point a virtual machine in VMWare workstation to run off of an existing partition? I've already gotten one VM running with a fresh install of vista, but I was wondering if there was a way to access the existing Vista partition and just use that.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Just saw a link to this on digg: http://linuxmce.com/

Looks pretty sweet, in my opinion. I was wondering if this would work on the Apple TV. Looks like you need a Kubuntu installation, which I guess would have to be done over SSH. I'm not very advanced with Linux, but I did mod my Apple TV. Anyone think it's worth a try?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Why are we seeing so many Linux-based mobile devices? I dunno about you guys but I've noticed that everything from Archos PMPs to Open-Moko seem to be running Linux, these days. Maybe it's just a product of all the GoogleOS chatter, but I was curious if anyone knew of any sales figures or patent filings related to this trend?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just got an n810 as a gift and I am really digging it so far. Couple of things - how do I set up a media server on my pc that will stream stuff to the nokia with media streamer and how to I setup remote desktop?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Are there any simple precautions I can take to prevent my AWS instance from being taken over by that mirai flaw? I already have all my ports closed by default apart from 22, 80 and 443 (only my ip). It looks like my image provider bitnami isn't supporting my version anymore so I don't think there's any patches available. This is bitnami Moodle 2.7 if that makes a difference.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Stupid question. I'm trying to log into my AWS ubuntu server with ssh on my Mac's terminal. I have my ppk file which works just fine on Windows with putty. I converted with puttygen for a pem file and generated a public key with puttygen but whenever I try to SSH I get a public key denied error. I have openssh installed. No idea what's going on here. Any ideas?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

evol262 posted:

What are the permissions on it, and on ~/.ssh ?

I believe I chmoded to 600 on the pem files. don't remember if I did /,ssh. SSH complained abotu permissions at first but after I made the change it gave me the public key error

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone have a preferred iso for a live version of ubuntu? I just need to boot into ubuntu on my desktop to do some testing and I dont wanna mess around with partitions. I tried the regular ubuntu server 16.04 iso but it doesnt seem to have a boot from USB option. I used to use knoppix in the past but id prefer some flavor of ubuntu. Edit: i don't wanna use a VM because I need to have access to the GPU.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Get the regular desktop version of Ubuntu, not Ubuntu Server.

I'm testing out bash scripts etc. Those scripts will work on either version later on correct?

SnatchRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 16, 2018

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone point me to a decent encrypt / decrypt script that will use .asc keys and handle large files? Already tried gpg but there seems to be an issue using pinentry and I can't decrypt without a passcode.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

minato posted:

What's the issue with pinentry? I had some issues with it solved by running "export GPG_TTY=$(tty)" beforehand.

I cant seem to add a passphrase to any of the keys I import. I tried adding the program entry in to the .conf file but it didnt work.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can someone spot check my crontab tasks? What it should be doing is running an iostat for CPU usage, running a stress command, then uploading the cpu file to S3. Appears to be working correctly just want to be sure.

code:
*/1 * * * * echo \"100-\$(iostat -c 1 2 | sed -n 7p | awk '{print $6}')\" | bc > /var/log/cpu
*/3 * * * * stress -c 1 -i 1 -t 90
*/1 * * * * sleep 10 && aws s3api put-object --bucket mybucket  --key \$(date +\%s).txt --acl public-read --body /var/log/cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Yeah I was gonna do that later I just wanna make sure it’s working in cron first. Does it seem ok?