Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

AlexHat posted:

Torrent's icon is probably gray because it's actually rendered in Wine's tray window, and has Wine's color theme. Try matching Wine's colors to your DE's theme.

HOWTO: Change colors of wine applications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Ozean posted:

Well I got the mtools packeage, but I don't know how to use mlabel.

Type this into a terminal:
code:
man man
Alternatively, learn how to search.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

fletcher posted:

Can you rsync multiple directories with one call?

Just list them as arguments one after the other. (Needless to say, the last path will be the destination.)

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Cucumbers posted:

Is there any way to download an .iso (preferably the new openSuSE) and install it through Windows?
Instlinux isn't an option, because I can't use my Wireless USB through the installer.

Use VMWare or VirtualBox.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Cucumbers posted:

That would keep it as a virtual computer, wouldn't it?

I want to be able boot in either windows or linux.

Make a partition and boot an install CD? Why are you insistent on installing FROM Windows?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Cucumbers posted:

Because I'd have a very hard time getting empty cd's!
It doesn't matter now, things worked out in the end.

I guess it's too late now, but you do know you can just burn CD images onto DVDs and boot off them like normal, right? :)

Edit: At least I haven't run into any problems with them yet.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 10, 2008

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Hughmoris posted:

Do I just need to select the option in the Ubuntu install that says something similar to "Install Ubuntu On Entire Drive"? Will that effectively delete everything that was XP?

Yep, all there is to it. I think if you let it do partitioning automatically, it will create separate partitions for /boot, /, /home, and swap.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Feral Integral posted:

I want to back up my music directory to a server on another computer. Right now I have a bunch of songs organized into folders (shoddily) by artist name. What I wan't to do is just find all the mp3's and copy them into one folder on my backup server. The command I tried was:

find /Music -name *.mp3 | scp user@backupserver:~/music

this doesn't really work at all :/ . What would you guys suggest?

I'd use rsync. It's fairly trivial to set it up, and it's a lot faster for files that don't change much since it only transfers the delta.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

fourwood posted:

The only problem is that new windows pop up in the middle of the entire desktop span, leaving them straddling the border between monitors. It gets pretty annoying when every dialog box is split between the two monitors. Is there any way to get things to center themselves on the primary monitor?

I don't use an extended desktop, but maybe messing with the Place Windows Compiz plug-in's settings will help you. Install the package compizconfig-settings-manager and run it with System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects Settings and find the Place Windows plug-in in the list.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

sbt posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before (it's a very long thread), but has anyone got Flash working in Opera?

That's odd as I've been running Opera 9.5 development snapshots with Flash without any hacks since the Ubuntu Gutsy alphas. I've upgraded to Hardy and it works fine. Opera says it's using /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

The Remote Viewer posted:

Can someone explain the utility of virtual desktops to me? Almost all flavors of Linux seem to have them, but I don't understand why I'd want to use more than one. That's what window controls are for, isn't it?

Sometimes I use it to break down applications by category/task. Say I keep all communication apps on Desktop #1 (IRC, IM, mail), Work stuff goes on #2, WWW on #3, and occasionally #4 for multimedia, games etc. I have Win+[1|2|3|4] set up as hotkeys to switch to specific desktops so it's really quick to jump around tasks without too much window juggling.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 18, 2008

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

bootleg robot posted:

Ahh, really? All of this linux stuff is still new to me. :) I assume KDirStat comes from KDE, right? I run Gnome on this laptop so I'll check out Disk Usage Analyzer. Thanks!

It's actually called Baobab if you need the name. Not sure it's a default GNOME app or just on Ubuntu.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Your Japanese Dad posted:

Short answer: Don't bother.

This. Gentoo is a waste of time unless you want to spend your days learning about how Linux is built up from all the basic components. Seeing that you're a Windows user, you will actually want to do stuff. Get a binary distro.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
What's the consensus on audio cross-converting apps? Ideally, I'd like a GTK+2/GNOME app that can batch-convert between WAV/MP3/OGG/FLAC/APE/MPC. ReplayGain and mass-tagging is a plus.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

calandryll posted:

I've tried http://username:password I've also tried using cookies set from the browser. And a few other things I've seen to try when I looked on google. I'm just trying to get these files easier than right click save as for probably about 300 files and directories. Any suggestions would be great.

IIRC, you need the --user and --password arguments. Other than that, if you're trying to wget everything from a directory and not a specific file directly, listing is probably disabled on the server via a .htaccess file.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

rugbert posted:

So what the gently caress, I dont know what I did but about 5 minutes ago my bottom taskbar stopped showing the application buttons. so now I have to hit alt-tab to move between windows.

the workspace switcher disappeared to and that was just matter of re-adding to the panel, is there a similar feature Im just not aware of?

You failed to mention the desktop environment you're using. I can only speak for GNOME, the applet you want is called Window List.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Ferg posted:

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but would the compiz zoom plugin do the trick?

Probably this, unless he needs only the game's window larger to keep an eye on background apps or something. The zoom plug-in even has a bind for "zoom to size of window." Don't forget to turn bilinear filtering off.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Imagine the noise the Linux-newbies would make when the apps installed to their $HOMEs fail to run at all after an upgrade because they're trying to reach incompatible versions of libraries that are installed globally.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Go ahead and code it into dpkg apt. Obviously if it's not in it by now, there wasn't enough demand for it, or there are more important things on the road map than that feature.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 19, 2008

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

tripwire posted:

This is a dumb question, but why hasn't anyone made a compiz or emerald plugin yet that duplicates Vista's frosted glass effect? It seems like an obvious thing to copy yet I can't see any option for it.

The Blur plug-in can do that with any window decoration that has alpha.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

helixxo posted:

I installed linux (ubuntu) for the first time and am looking for drivers for the Gigabyte EP35-DS3L mobo. There seems to be some files with linux in the title on the driver cd that came with the mobo but I'm not sure what to do with them.

On UNIX-like systems in general, drivers are included in the kernel, or provided as automatically loading (and autodetected) kernel modules by your distribution. If stuff works, you probably don't need to do anything about them.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Saliva posted:

[...] what does the 775 do?

Wikipedia article on octal notation of file system permissions

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

The Finn posted:

Netgear MA521 + Ubuntu

Searching the Official Ubuntu Forums are always a good start, especially with brand-name hardware. The community is huge so chances are someone already tried to get it working at some point.

edit: Note that the thread I linked to was posted three years ago, but the Win32 drivers might still be easier to install nowadays. I don't actually have experience with that card.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

FugeesTeenMom92 posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I disable the loving stupid loving sticky windows in the latest version of Ubuntu? I have installed the advanced display options application, and have turned off edge resistance, edge attraction, and everything else that could be related.

It won't loving die, and it's basically the most irritating "feature" in the history of computers.

Are you running loving Compiz? Turning off the loving Snapping loving Windows plug-in disables the loving snapping.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Token Female posted:

I've recently started using ubuntu, and am in need of a graphics program. After a cursory look xaralx is the program that I get recommend. I was wondering if there is something better out there, or if this should be satisfactory. I'm used to using photoshop CS on windows.

Xara is a vector graphics app, similar to Adobe Illustrator. If that is what you need, Inkscape is a better choice as development of Xara LX was killed after Xara LLC was bought out by Magix.

For raster graphics though, try GIMP (the interface is slooooowly getting there), or Krita. I'm hearing a lot of praise of the latter, though I haven't tried it myself. It's been also said that it's closer to Painter than Photoshop (painting vs manipulation).

The GIMP, Krita and Inkscape are all included in Ubuntu's repositories. Krita depends on KDE.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

The Merkinman posted:

I'm trying to get my webcam to work in Skype under Ubuntu 8.10
The webcam is a Logitech I think communicate STX
It works in aMSN, and Cheese, but not Camorama nor of course, Skype.

If I try to test it in skype it looks like static but greenish.
My lovely Genius camera does that (except I haven't tried Camorama). It would display green noisy garbage when I test it but it actually works during a conversation. Maybe the test thing is trying to request a resolution that's too low or something. Try it!

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

The Merkinman posted:

After more seaching I found this
[...]
Which worked, but now it seems I can't see the other person. It just shows the same color as the window.
:doh: I totally forgot I had to do that hack as well, and with the same results as you. Then I just hosed with maximizing and minimizing the window until the other person showed up. Or sometimes my pic wouldn't show up. Sometimes neither.

Either way, Skype hosed something up and it's been like this for a while. We'll just have to wait, I guess.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

GuyGizmo posted:

Can someone tell me a really fast and efficient way of counting the number of files in a folder and all of its subfolders?

I have two folders that should have an identical number of files in them that I want to compare, but the number of files in both is in excess of 4 million and the drive they're on is slow, so right clicking the folders and getting their properties in Gnome isn't an option unless I want to wait a bazillion years and run out of memory.
Try this: ls -a1 | wc -l

That's ls dash a one pipe wc dash ell. Most likely not the most efficient but it's worth a go. Lose the a if you don't want hidden files/folders counted.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
quote isnt edit

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

dj.TAKA posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an archive program that handles .rar and .7z, preferably with a GUI? Is it possible to get Archive Manager to work with those extensions?
Install unrar and p7zip, Archive Manager (file-roller) will pick them up.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Noah posted:

I IM a lot, and I like to use finch remotely, using ssh and screen. Is there anyway I can it up so that I get new message notifications on my desktop or somewhere noticeable, instead of having to go to the terminal tab that has my remote screen in it to check?
Hey, there's a Pidgin user survey going on, maybe you could suggest some kind of a slave feature to connect to remote instances of Pidgin/Finch.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

moros posted:

256mb of RAM
Try Xubuntu.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Paging ShadowHawk.

Running the latest Wine from your repos on Ubuntu 8.10, and I saw the entry in release notes about subpixel font antialiasing. Where do I enable it? Checked winecfg but I found nothing.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

I Hate Admin !! posted:

Is there any NAS solution (hard drive) that will work with Ubuntu? I don't want to use an entire computer just to spin a 1TB hard drive.
Ubuntu supports both SMB and NFS out of the box so mounting a NAS drive either through /etc/fstab or GNOME's "Connect to server" dialog won't be a problem.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

jegHegy posted:

Paging ShadowHawk.

Running the latest Wine from your repos on Ubuntu 8.10, and I saw the entry in release notes about subpixel font antialiasing. Where do I enable it? Checked winecfg but I found nothing.
Adding the registry entries as described in Wine bug #16729's comments did the trick.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Weatherman posted:

Does anyone know of a text-based instant messenger client program?
Try Finch, it's an ncurses interface for libpurple (the Pidgin library).

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Lexical Unit posted:

:( No luck, menu didn't change.

It seems like this is one area that Linux is seriously lacking in documentation. Like, man startx doesn't do anything for example. Sucktastic.
Which distro is that again?
code:
STARTX(1)                                                            STARTX(1)

NAME
       startx - initialize an X session

SYNOPSIS
       startx  [  [ client ] options ... ] [ -- [ server ] [ display ] options
       ... ]

DESCRIPTION
       The startx script is a front end to  xinit  that  provides  a  somewhat
       nicer  user interface for running a single session of the X Window Sys&#8208;
       tem.  It is often run with no arguments.

Arguments immediately following the startx command are used to start  a
       client in the same manner as xinit(1).  The special argument -- marks
       the end of client arguments and the beginning of  server  options.   It
       may  be convenient to specify server options with startx to change on a
       per-session basis the default color depth, the servers notion  of  the
       number  of dots-per-inch the display device presents, or take advantage
       of a different server layout, as permitted by the  Xorg(1)  server  and
       specified in the xorg.conf(5) file.  Some examples of specifying server
       arguments follow; consult the manual page for your X server  to  deter&#8208;
       mine which arguments are legal.

startx -- -depth 16

startx -- -dpi 100

startx -- -layout Multihead

To  determine  the  client to run, startx first looks for a file called
       .xinitrc in the users home directory.  If that is not found,  it  uses
       the file xinitrc in the xinit library directory.

If  command  line client options are given, they override this behavior
       and revert to the xinit(1) behavior.  To determine the server  to  run,
       startx  first  looks  for  a  file called .xserverrc in the users home
       directory.  If that is not found, it uses the  file  xserverrc  in  the
       xinit  library  directory.   If  command line server options are given,
       they override this behavior and revert to the xinit(1) behavior.  Users
       rarely need to provide a .xserverrc file.  See the xinit(1) manual page
       for more details on the arguments.

The  system-wide  xinitrc  and  xserverrc  files  are  found   in   the
       /usr/lib/X11/xinit directory.

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       DISPLAY                  This variable gets set to the name of the dis&#8208;
                                play to which clients  should  connect.   Note
                                that this gets set, not read.

XAUTHORITY               This  variable,  if  not already defined, gets
                                set to $(HOME)/.Xauthority.  This is  to  pre&#8208;
                                vent  the  X  server,  if  not given the -auth
                                argument, from automatically setting up  inse&#8208;
                                cure  host-based  authentication for the local
                                host.  See  the  Xserver(1)  and  Xsecurity(7)
                                manual   pages   for  more  information  on  X
                                client/server authentication.

FILES
       $(HOME)/.xinitrc         Client to run.  Typically a shell script which
                                runs many programs in the background.

$(HOME)/.xserverrc       Server to run.  The default is X.

/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
                                Client  to  run  if  the  user has no .xinitrc
                                file.

/usr/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
                                Server to run if the user  has  no  .xserverrc
                                file.

SEE ALSO
       xinit(1), Xserver(1), Xorg(1)

X Version 11                      xinit 1.0.9                        STARTX(1)

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

deong posted:

Is there any good GPS software for linux?
I'm using a Garmin GPSMap 60CS. I'm using it when going biking/hiking, and I'd like to download the waypoints to track where I've been etc. I can get the current location etc from xgps, and I can download waypoints via gpsbabel. On the Ubuntu forums, the discussion quickly went down the path of using WINE and MapSource. I'd rather stick with native if I can :cool:. If not I think I'll find a website.
Viking (in the repos) can show you imported tracks as well as some stats but it's not really designed for rides so I mostly end up on GPSies.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

deong posted:

Cool thanks.
After trying to download the info off the Garmin, it turns out with gpsbable I only got the waypoint marks. Do you know off hand how to grab the saved tracks? I don't have the gps w/ me at the moment to mess around with it, but I imagine it won't be too hard.
No idea about Garmin devices, sorry. Do they run Windows Mobile? If so, there are several free GPS loggers available, browse around on http://freewarepocketpc.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

mcsuede posted:

As you can't login to root in Ubuntu and you can't transverse to the directory from the terminal unless you're logged in as root (talk about frustrating!) I had to do "gksudo nautilus /root/.local/share/Trash" in order to get to them.
Next time, try sudo -i.