Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Is there a command that gives me the size of the actual current data on a zfs volume? So something that approximates the output of du -s.
The commands I found either include snapshots for space usage or don't count data that is duplicated in a snapshot. Du -s gives me what I want, but I am looking for something that takes less then an hour to run.

Something like

code:
zfs list -t filesystem -o space -r
might give you what you want, assuming you mean a zpool or zfs file system, not an actual zfs volume. Zfs volumes are opaque by nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Wouldn't the USEDDS be closer to what VictualSquid wants? I believe that's a shortname for "usedbydatasets."

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

We just evaluated a "gpu accelerated software raid card" that requires an nvidia gpu in the system to work. So now not only can driver problems break your display, it can break access to your data!

https://www.graidtech.com/product/sr-1010/

Wait... it's not integrated into the RAID controller? It actually has to work with a separate GPU? The web page reads like it's just a RAID card that uses a GPU for its brain, which isn't nearly as insane as making data go CPU -> RAID card -> GPU -> RAID card -> storage.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

xzzy posted:

Use them ampersands.

cd /tmp/asldjkfalsdf && find -name foo

(but yes, it's better to use the full path as an argument to find, it'll do the same error checking)

I'm no addict to making stupidly complex one liners but if statements in bash are so ugly and cumbersome that I'll use && unless I need to do extra logic inside the conditional.

I generally prefer cd /whatever || exit 1 "Unable to cd to /whatever". It seems more readable, though of course that's idiosyncratic.