Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Kolostomy
Nov 11, 2004

I just hooked my TV up to computer speakers using a bunch of adapters from Radioshack. Works great. But, make sure any adapters you buy are stereo, not mono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006
edit: never mind

Police Academy 6 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2007

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I have this receiver. http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDE475
It is a little bit older. It is wired with an optical cable, when playing games on my Xbox 360 set to 5.1 dolby digital, sometimes I get audio though the sub, sometimes I do not (This is in games that others on the forums have confirmed do output to their sub). The receiver displays it is doing audio in Dolby Digital 3/2, The LFE indicator does light up. I have read around the web that 3/2L is equal to 5.1. As I said before, sometimes I get sound from the sub, other games do not. Is this because my receiver is too old to know what to do with these new fangled inputs? Looking through the manual on above website I do not see 3/2L as a possible input display, the receiver is listed as a 5.1 receiver around the web. Anyone got any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax
Alright, so can anyone give me any significant downsides to hooking up a couple KRK RP6s with a KRK powered sub and using it as sound for my (admittedly meagre) A/V system?

I'm not interested in Surround right now, but I want fuller sound than what is put out by my TV's flimsy speakers. All I've really heard to the negative is that monitors aren't designed to sound 'good' they're designed to sound 'accurate'. Are there any more solid reasons to not do this setup than that?

Tycho
Dec 14, 2002

When are the new ipods coming out? Do we know any details? I'm wondering if I should buy my ladyfriend a new ipod for her birthday, or whether we should wait a little while to see what the next round of improvements bring.

Atomon
Mar 15, 2003
I can't remember my legs
As of right now, I know absolutely nothing about audio. I like music, and I like it even more when it sounds good. That's about the extent of my audio knowledge. I'm graduating from high school next month, and my parents have agreed to buy me an audio system as a graduation gift. I'd really like to get to know more about this sort of thing, and I could also use some help picking specific equipment from you goons out there that clearly know a hell of a lot more than I do. How can I begin to learn more about this sort of thing? Are there some price points that I should know about? I don't have a specific budget in mind, but since it's a graduation gift I'd imagine my parents are willing to spend a nice amount. I'm sorry if I'm not providing the required information, I just know so little that I don't know what is required. Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT:
Here's a little more information that may or may not be useful:

I primarily listen to hard rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, etc.), but occasionally I'll listen to some rap (lol teenager lol). I'd like the primary source to be my computer rather than a CD player, since all of my music is on my computer. I was thinking about using an Airport Express to get the music from my computer to my system, but I don't really know much about it (quality, etc.). I don't listen to the radio, and the few CDs I own could just be played over the Airport Express from my computer. I like listening to music with the volume turned way up, although that may change once I move into my dorm. I hope this info helps, just ask me if you need anything else answered.

Atomon fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 17, 2007

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
When I buy my hdtv here within a few months, I plan on buying a good set of 2.1 speakers to replace the lovely hdtv built in ones. Can someone recommend me some speakers and some info on how exactly to install them so all of my sound from the tv/dvd player/gaming consoles, comes out of the 2.1 system?

Edit: \/\/ Thx Gorgak, that was exactly what I was looking for. :)

ROOMBA floorvac fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 18, 2007

El Zilcho
May 11, 2005

by Peatpot

Atomon posted:

As of right now, I know absolutely nothing about audio...

I'm in your boat, and I'd really be interested in any replies to this as well. I would also like to know about turntables, though, since I've just started to collect vinyl. My parents are building an audio system (although not themselves, they're doing it through a company) and I've asked if they can put a turntable in there. They've asked me to do the research on turntables (reasonably enough), but I know next to nothing about them.

Also, a friend told me that most modern turntables don't play 78s. Is this true? (yeah, you can probably tell I'm a child of the 90s)

mracer
Feb 23, 2004
The M racer
Whats the best way to convert from a speaker jack on a computer to a digital input on a tv? It seems the philips tv which i have has no way to put rcas for the hdmi inputs. I also do not think my radeon has the ability to put audio thru the hdmi cord.
thanks ahead of time.

Gorgak
Mar 26, 2007

by Fistgrrl

maverick99 posted:

When I buy my hdtv here within a few months, I plan on buying a good set of 2.1 speakers to replace the lovely hdtv built in ones. Can someone recommend me some speakers and some info on how exactly to install them so all of my sound from the tv/dvd player/gaming consoles, comes out of the 2.1 system?

What is your budget goal?

You can connect a lot of things to the TV but the amplifier power from the TV, assuming this is possible, will not be enough for decent sound (subjective).

To do this properly you will need to add a receiver into the mix. Basically you will hook-up all of your equipment into the receiver and use it as a switch. Pretty much any receiver will do this. If you have current equipment use could use all HDMI connections. For myself, I use a panasonic SA-XR55s reciever, use the optical output on my tv for tv audio, digital coax for my dvd player and rca for my gamecube and for my wife's ipod. My current 2.0 setup includes two SVS SBS-01 bookshelf speakers. I have no use for a sub currently because the SVS speakers already piss off the neighbors even with the subtle power from my entry level receiver.

SVS, Thier subs are great too.
http://www.svsound.com/

Gorgak fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 18, 2007

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Help! I can't seem to get 5.1 sound from my receiver through my HTPC. I have a new Onkyo HT-S590S Receiver, hooked up via a digital coaxial cable to my digital audio out on my Shuttle SN21G2. The Shuttle uses a Realtek ALC 655 AC '97 audio card for sound.

I went into the Realtek configuration panel, selected 6 channels (5.1 sound), and made sure the digital coaxial output was turned on. I'm still learning my receiver, but it doesn't appear to let me select the true digital 5.1 selection for my listening mode. The only way I can hear my rear speakers is by changing to one of the "forced" surround modes (Onkyo calls this PLII or Neo), but I believe by doing this I won't get true 5.1 sound from the DVDs I play on my HTPC.

Any ideas on this one? Do I have to download/configure certain codecs? (I use MediaPortal to play back movies). This may be more my confusion regarding the receiver's listening mode, but I can't figure it out for sure.

Thanks!

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
If I want to hook up an Oppo upconverting dvd player to my receiver, can I just use HDMI for video and audio or do I have to connect an optical/coaxial cable to the receiver also?

Fake Edit:
DVD player:
http://www.amazon.com/Oppo-DV-981HD...76923371&sr=1-1

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Atomon posted:

As of right now, I know absolutely nothing about audio. I like music, and I like it even more when it sounds good. That's about the extent of my audio knowledge. I'm graduating from high school next month, and my parents have agreed to buy me an audio system as a graduation gift. I'd really like to get to know more about this sort of thing, and I could also use some help picking specific equipment from you goons out there that clearly know a hell of a lot more than I do. How can I begin to learn more about this sort of thing? Are there some price points that I should know about? I don't have a specific budget in mind, but since it's a graduation gift I'd imagine my parents are willing to spend a nice amount. I'm sorry if I'm not providing the required information, I just know so little that I don't know what is required. Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT:
Here's a little more information that may or may not be useful:

I primarily listen to hard rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, etc.), but occasionally I'll listen to some rap (lol teenager lol). I'd like the primary source to be my computer rather than a CD player, since all of my music is on my computer. I was thinking about using an Airport Express to get the music from my computer to my system, but I don't really know much about it (quality, etc.). I don't listen to the radio, and the few CDs I own could just be played over the Airport Express from my computer. I like listening to music with the volume turned way up, although that may change once I move into my dorm. I hope this info helps, just ask me if you need anything else answered.

Do you have any ideas what budget you could go?

My recommendation?
Two studio monitors (active) connected to your computer.
You need two cables and it fits perfectly in every dorm. And if you have the space you can set it up nicely and have the best sound available for your money.

Initial recommendations include Mackie HR series monitors or Focal's.

No really, what is your budget.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
For some reason search is not running for me so I'll ask here;

I use a Logitech Music Anywhere bluetooth thingie to broadcast my music to another room in the house. I'd very much like to buy another bluetooth device to let my play music in the bathroom (so it has to be waterproof). From the reviews, the Music Anywhere software will see other bluetooth devices but will not let you change the pin to access them from 0000.

What I want is this; a bluetooth, waterproof, wireless speaker that either uses 0000 or no pin at all. Batteries or plug in, I don't care at this point but I want music in the goddamn bathroom for my goddamn shower goddamnit.

Any help? Advice?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Can't really find specific details on this one.

We all know that CDs are 16 bit, 44.1khz. They cover the range of human hearing just fine. What I'm wondering about is the quality of vinyl, cassette tape, reel to reel, SACD, DVDA, and that kind of stuff. Is there any information available on the quality, signal to noise ratio, and resolution of that media?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

vinyl, cassette tape, reel to reel, SACD, DVDA, and that kind of stuff. Is there any information available on the quality, signal to noise ratio, and resolution of that media?

Seeing as those are analog media, the SNR etc will vary from brand to brand. "Resolution" is really not objectively measurable on analogue signals (they're continuous, not sampled), but the medium might add distortion, I guess. I'm sure there are some analog geeks here who will chime in with specifics on SNRs. :)

Malay
Aug 31, 2003

A meeting of great minds.
Anyone have experience with Definitive Technology speakers? I saw a 5.1 setup on Craigslist and I am mildly interested by the price. I have heard them at Magnolia at Best Buy and I was impressed by their sound--but I'm no audiophile. Anything that is amplified would likely impress me as I've been using my TV speaker forever.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Can't really find specific details on this one.

We all know that CDs are 16 bit, 44.1khz. They cover the range of human hearing just fine. What I'm wondering about is the quality of vinyl, cassette tape, reel to reel, SACD, DVDA, and that kind of stuff. Is there any information available on the quality, signal to noise ratio, and resolution of that media?

Short version:
- The advantage of SACD and DVD-A is 5.1. Everything else is a pile of steaming bullshit.
- Vinyl is vastly inferior to a CD in every way possible. The distortion may sound pleasant to some (warmth)

Long version:
- 24bit is beneficial for mixing purposes because it allows for a greater range of dynamics. This makes working ITB (in the box) easier for modern recordings.
However, there is no instrument that has a dynamic range that can not be reproduced by a CD. So when mixed down to 16bit, there is no loss of information except for noise.
- By theory, you require at least 40khz to render a frequency range from 20 to 20k hz. The introduction of 96khz theoretically means that samples are processed with more accuracy. In reality this makes no difference whatsoever. The downsampling process to 44.1khz, however, can introduce errors
- Todays CD-Rom drives read a CD perfectly. If you plan on using an expensive-rear end CD player you should realise that even Meridian players (5000$+) have the same drive installed as your Dell. Yeah, audiophiles are that stupid.
- There is controversy how beneficial better D/A A/D convertors are. It is, however, clear, that those changes are miniscule compared to how speakers and room alter the sound
- Vinyl is very imperfect in every way. The SNR and by that the dynamic range is a joke compared to a CD. However, all analogue equipment introduces distortion, which might be perceived pleasant.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Seeing as those are analog media, the SNR etc will vary from brand to brand. "Resolution" is really not objectively measurable on analogue signals (they're continuous, not sampled), but the medium might add distortion, I guess. I'm sure there are some analog geeks here who will chime in with specifics on SNRs. :)

Let's use frequency response instead of resolution. The digital "staircase" waveform isn't seen on the output because the system will filter the higher frequencies that produce the sharp edges. A CD gives us 20kHz, assuming a less than perfect reconstruction filter. If vinyl beats that, it won't on the second play.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Boner Slam posted:

- Vinyl is vastly inferior to a CD in every way possible. The distortion may sound pleasant to some (warmth)
- Vinyl is very imperfect in every way. The SNR and by that the dynamic range is a joke compared to a CD. However, all analogue equipment introduces distortion, which might be perceived pleasant.
This has long been my opinion, but I didn't want to state it going in because I'm unbiased when it comes to statistics. I always have a little giggle at vinyl hounds expense when they talk about how warm and alive their recordings are.

quote:

- Todays CD-Rom drives read a CD perfectly. If you plan on using an expensive-rear end CD player you should realise that even Meridian players (5000$+) have the same drive installed as your Dell. Yeah, audiophiles are that stupid.
Believe it or not, I had a similar conversation with my girlfriend the other day. I was going to pick up a USB cable while we were shopping at Best Buy, and the 10' one I wanted was like $40, which was a joke to me. You know the usual marketing - better shielding, better quality on your transfers, yada yada. I explained to her the whole digital "it's there or it's not there, there's no signal quality" thing and bought the same cable for ~$20 at Staples.

Here's a more philosophical question. If, from a technical standpoint, vinyl is inferior to CD in every way from sound quality right on down to portability, why oh why do people still insist on it?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I have a silly question.

How do you strip off excessively thick wire insulation? I bought some 14gague speaker cable, and, because it was all that Fry's sold, I had to get monster cable. Problem is, the plastic insulation around the conductors is stupidly thick and wont fit into the banana plugs i was going to attach to the cables.

---

Edit: Also, I have another random question - Today while walking past my computer desk behind it, i mustve shocked my amplifier or something but it blew it's output stage and started smoking - my speakers got a good "jjjjt jjj jjjjjt" sound before i unplugged the unit.

How can that happen? I didnt notice a shock or anything, is is possible for an amp to just short itself out and die like that? It's only 3 months old so I am RMAing it as soon as I can, I just thought it's odd. For reference, the amplifier in question is the Audiosource AMP 100 , and yes I am positive that there were no shorts in the connections to the speakers (although that is related to my first question, the cables were going to get banana plugged soon.)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 21, 2007

borky
Dec 24, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I have quickie:

Zune or IAudio X5L?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Boner Slam posted:

people pay for expensive CD players primarily for their DACs.

buying a $5000 cd player is pretty ridiculous but some people have $50,000 speakers, so why shouldnt they buy a $5000 cd player then?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I hope it's OK to post this question again since it was unanswered, let me know if it's not.

thehandtruck posted:

I just upgraded from Koss UR-40's (open ear) to Audio-Technica A900's (closed ear) which are loving spectacular. The only thing is that I'm missing a lot of bass presumably because it's closed ear. How can I get more bass in my A900's?

And I tried messing with the equalizers that are embedded into iTunes/Winamp and they just sound gross.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I just bought a new (to me) 1976 Sanyo direct drive turntable to replace the crappy $100 circuit city sony belt driven model I have. It's beautiful, and sounds great (I auditioned it at the house of the I bought it from), but it requires a pre-amp.

I know that a pre-amp amplifies the signal coming from the turntable to the receiver, but that's about all I know about them. My older sony turntable had a built in pre-amp. My receiver does not have the phono preamp built in.

What kind of pre-amp should I get? I don't want to spend a whole lot, and don't mind buying something older and used. The guy I bought it from recommended a portable DJ preamp from guitar center and said they only cost about $40. Are these worth a drat? I would like it to sound good!

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Hey guys, TA/VA now has an irc channel!

#tava @ irc.zirc.org

feel free to come in and share your audiophile :c00l:-ness or try and ask a question. Basically for discussing TA/VA stuff.

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
ASK ME ABOUT NEVER HITTING THE REPORT BUTTON AGAIN.
I'm great at pissing off the admins!
A friend of mine just gave me some bose speakers for free, as of right now, I'm just using my tv's built in speakers (which are nice and powerful, hitachi 57" rear projection.) Just wondering if one of you gurus could either point out a specific model or at least what I need to search for in terms of watts and ohms and connections and what not.

3 speakers 10-80 watt 4-8 ohm
1 subwoofer 10-200 watt 4-8 ohm
2 bose "cube" tweeter guys, which I believe are "pre amp" tweeters.

They all just use copper wire connections.

I'd be using this for watching hdtv and a ps2 as well, with component cables. I've got an HD DVR with HDMI (going to the tv) and a digital audio out port on the dvr as well.

Please help :|

edit: also, my tv has a "tv as center" option for using its speakers with the rest of the surround sound (which I think would be 6.1 with the tv and 5.1 without)

UFO fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 25, 2007

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Strict 9 posted:

Help! I can't seem to get 5.1 sound from my receiver through my HTPC. I have a new Onkyo HT-S590S Receiver, hooked up via a digital coaxial cable to my digital audio out on my Shuttle SN21G2. The Shuttle uses a Realtek ALC 655 AC '97 audio card for sound.

I went into the Realtek configuration panel, selected 6 channels (5.1 sound), and made sure the digital coaxial output was turned on. I'm still learning my receiver, but it doesn't appear to let me select the true digital 5.1 selection for my listening mode. The only way I can hear my rear speakers is by changing to one of the "forced" surround modes (Onkyo calls this PLII or Neo), but I believe by doing this I won't get true 5.1 sound from the DVDs I play on my HTPC.

Any ideas on this one? Do I have to download/configure certain codecs? (I use MediaPortal to play back movies). This may be more my confusion regarding the receiver's listening mode, but I can't figure it out for sure.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, 5.1 sound over digital connections can be tricky. 2 channels is dead easy; it's just PCM, which requires no brains at all. 5.1 channels won't fit uncompressed, however, so both ends have to use AC3 (aka Dolby Digital - or, theoretically, any compression - but Dolby is of course the standard). Since licensing AC3 costs a decent chunk of change, and real-time encoding requires more hardware, most integrated sound chipsets don't offer it, and only have analog six-channel output.

Fortunately, there's still hope. Most chipsets allow media to take over the connection completely - to preempt whatever else might be there with data streamed off the DVD or a file on the drive. In Media Player Classic, try opening a DVD or 5.1 audio file (if you've ripped your DVDs with AC3 intact). Then, go to Play->Filters->AC3 Audio Decoder, and select SPDIF for everything. Then, stop and restart the movie. If it works, your receiver should pick up on the signal and go into Dolby Digital mode, and you should get 5.1 audio. I don't know how to do the same for Mediaportal, but the functionality should hopefully be there to do the same.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I recently got inherited a record player. The problem is that I'm away from home for the next 2 months and I have it set up in my dorm room, so I'm away from my home stereo setup. I thought I could just buy a cheap set of speakers at radioshack to tide me over, but when I plugged them in the music was really quiet.

I'm guessing that is because they are not properly amplified. What is the cheapest, simplest solution to amplifying these lovely speakers until I can move back home and properly hook that poo poo up?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

ThrillKiller posted:

I recently got inherited a record player. The problem is that I'm away from home for the next 2 months and I have it set up in my dorm room, so I'm away from my home stereo setup. I thought I could just buy a cheap set of speakers at radioshack to tide me over, but when I plugged them in the music was really quiet.

I'm guessing that is because they are not properly amplified. What is the cheapest, simplest solution to amplifying these lovely speakers until I can move back home and properly hook that poo poo up?

Old stereo receiver from a thrift store or garage sale. Make sure you plug your turntable into the phono plugs.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Space Gopher posted:

Unfortunately, 5.1 sound over digital connections can be tricky. 2 channels is dead easy; it's just PCM, which requires no brains at all. 5.1 channels won't fit uncompressed, however, so both ends have to use AC3 (aka Dolby Digital - or, theoretically, any compression - but Dolby is of course the standard). Since licensing AC3 costs a decent chunk of change, and real-time encoding requires more hardware, most integrated sound chipsets don't offer it, and only have analog six-channel output.

Fortunately, there's still hope. Most chipsets allow media to take over the connection completely - to preempt whatever else might be there with data streamed off the DVD or a file on the drive. In Media Player Classic, try opening a DVD or 5.1 audio file (if you've ripped your DVDs with AC3 intact). Then, go to Play->Filters->AC3 Audio Decoder, and select SPDIF for everything. Then, stop and restart the movie. If it works, your receiver should pick up on the signal and go into Dolby Digital mode, and you should get 5.1 audio. I don't know how to do the same for Mediaportal, but the functionality should hopefully be there to do the same.

Thanks for the response! I'll give this a try when I get home. I know I have the AC3 decoder installed, as I've seen it on that menu.

However I always avoided selecting SPDIF, because I thought SPDIF was only for the digital optical cables, not the digital coaxial cables (which is what I use to connect my HTPC to the receiver). Since that's not the case though, I'll give it at ry.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm having a speaker placement problem:

As you can see, my television is right next to a closet. I just got a new 5.1 speaker system, and I'm worried that if I mount the speakers above the TV, that the sound from the left speaker will be cut off since it's right against the closet. See terrible ASCII drawing:

code:
----------------------------
CLO | LS     CS        RS
SET  |          TV
------|

C
O
U
C
H

C O U C H
So it seems like the left speaker (LS) will not fill the room with sound since it's in the corner there. Is this a valid concern, or will it be fine? I'm hoping the latter, because I have no idea where else I could put the front speakers.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

sund posted:

Old stereo receiver from a thrift store or garage sale. Make sure you plug your turntable into the phono plugs.

I was thinking... Since the speakers use an 1/8" stereo connection, would it be feasible to use a headphone amp like those CMOY ones I've seen? Would that be stupid?

UFO
Sep 11, 2001
I haven't gotten a reply about my previous post, but thats okay. I have another question, the speakers that I have use plain copper wire to connect them to the audio source, when I look for amps/receivers what term do I use for these type of connection (like coax, composite, componenet.) Is there a general term for plain copper wiring?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

ThrillKiller posted:

I was thinking... Since the speakers use an 1/8" stereo connection, would it be feasible to use a headphone amp like those CMOY ones I've seen? Would that be stupid?

Power should be no problem, but you will still want a phono input. If you can't find one on a headphone amp, you'll have to get a phono preamp as well. I think they also make them in mint tins. Both would be integrated in a stereo receiver.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization, the only good thing to come out of the RIAA.

Atomon
Mar 15, 2003
I can't remember my legs
Since my last post I went and demoed a bunch of things and tried to educate myself a little bit. I went to demo the Paradigm Studio 20s since they were in my price range and I was looking for something small, but I ended up really liking the sound of the studio 40s so I decided to get them. A local place had a demo model of the NAD C320 BEE for about $80 below list, so I picked that up as well. My paradigms won't be coming in for another week or so, but I'll post here with how they sound when I get them.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

UFO posted:

I haven't gotten a reply about my previous post, but thats okay. I have another question, the speakers that I have use plain copper wire to connect them to the audio source, when I look for amps/receivers what term do I use for these type of connection (like coax, composite, componenet.) Is there a general term for plain copper wiring?

Every amp that's any good should be able to take plain copper - almost all speaker terminals I've ever seen were of the banana/screw type, where you could either use a banana plug or just screw the terminal tightly onto the plain wire. I don't think there's a special term for plain copper, but then again I'm not a native english speaker :).

pim01 fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 26, 2007

UFO
Sep 11, 2001

pim01 posted:

Every amp that's any good should be able to take plain copper - almost all speaker terminals I've ever seen were of the banana/screw type, where you could either use a banana plug or just screw the terminal tightly onto the plain wire. I don't think there's a special term for plain copper, but then again I'm not a native english speaker :).

Thank you very much for the info, question now, would this work for my subwoofer? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4055_77659845,00.html

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

pim01 posted:

The banana plug/screw-down terminals are called "binding posts," and the ones with spring-loaded tabs are "spring terminals." Pretty much anything other than a headphone or specialty amp will use one of the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I used to have some klipsh's but they got water damaged from sitting in storage. Yeah I know I am retarded.

I am just looking to get something kinda basic for now. Does anyone happen to have these at all?

Yamaha NS-P436

How would you rate them? Is it worth the purchase?