Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I'm looking at "pair of Sanyo Vintage speakers with a 3-way filtered hi-fi sound.They are 150 watts @ 8 ohms impedance" on craigslist. I'm gonna go see them and hear them, of course, but I'm a huge audio nublet and I don't know what kind of amp or receiver I need. I'm going to be using them for DJing house parties in small-ish rooms so any advice you can give me would be great. Thanks!

Edit: To clarify, I only need to plug the 1/4" outputs from my DJ mixer into this, I don't need a receiver in the sense of plugging a million different sources into it.

stun runner fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Need a sound system for a laptop for >200. speakers, base, etc etc, I don't really know what I'm talking about but thats why I'm here. They are for my sister who is totally inept, I'm not sure if that has any bearing. As for preferences I was met with a blank stare except that she wants them "under 200 dollars".

Donkey Kunt
Mar 19, 2006

I'm a cat.
My friend just bought a Zune. It seems to be a pretty cool device, but we are having one problem. We just cannot figure out how to transfer files to the Zune with ease. We eventually found out a way to drag files onto the Zune, but it seems to be too much of a hassle. Is there a quick and easy transfer files button on the Zune software? Is there a different software that's easier to use with the Zune?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I have an iPod video. I have a Scion tC. I have an input port designed for iPods in my Scion tC.

I don't have the right cable to connect my iPod to my tC so it will charge and be controlled by the car's audio controls.

Could someone enlighten me what type of cable I need? I can't find this information anywhere.

Darkstitch
Dec 10, 2006

Humming the Bassline
I'm looking for some decent desktop speakers. I already have a pair of great Sennheiser headphones, and now I need the desktop speakers. My budget is $50-$80. I listen to a lot of ambient/dance music, and on occasion some hardcore. My current speakers crackle once anything in the highs (like a piano) plays.

I've been looking into this Creative Inspire T6100. I know they are pretty decent beucase my friend has something similar, but I was wondering what else is alvailable.

hair
Jun 14, 2007

Perhaps this is what Christmas is all about.
Flash animator Han Hoogerbrugge has created a series of cartoons for a project he calls, "Nails." The Nails project contains approximately 20 separate short, interactive animations.

I'm trying to extract the audio from one of these animations, which I have downloaded to my hard drive using the "download embedded" extension for Firefox. After several attempts to extract the audio from this file using the following programs, (which all claim to extract audio) nothing has worked:

WinSWFExtractor
Flash Favorite
SWF Extractor
SWF Media Browser

I'm not sure if the file is corrupted, or if it's simply coded in a way that makes media extraction of any kind impossible. I'd be pleased to hear any advice you might have.

Here is the website where the file can be found: http://nails.hoogerbrugge.com/ You will see the film selection at the top of the screen. If you look at the film all the way to the right (a man hanging himself with a neck tie), you will find a series of arrows pointing right. Click those twice to scroll over to the file I'm working with (fourth one from the left with the man kneeling). It's called, "Pigs," (you can see a picture of its location here---> http://www.freewebs.com/sghawkeyes/nails.htm)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Can anybody recommend a good set of wireless speakers? Preferably ones that are HTiB?

Kash
Jul 17, 2003

It's ironic. I finally have love in my heart but, alas, there is blood in my urine.
Now that I'm earning some money and what have you I've decided to get a decent sound system. However I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it. All of my music is digital. I listen to music (rock/metal/whatever, indie, some hip hop) and watch tv/movies on my computer. Currently with a pair of HD280 pros. Which is all well and good, but I'd like some speaker output. I gather that I should get a stereo amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Is this right? My music is mostly vbr mp3s (aps or v2). How does one best go about connecting my soundcard (soundblaster audigy 2 I think, I got it 4 years ago) to the amplifier? I gather that amps are usually more geared towards music, but would it suffice for movies/tv without having to get an a/v receiver. Also would I see any benefit when plugging my headphones into the amp at times when I can't listen on the speakers?

Second to all of that is what to get. I was thinking of a budget of £200-300 for the speakers and maybe £100-150 for the amp. Is this a sufficient amount to start my system? Later I intend to add a DAB tuner and probably a CD player. You might notice from the £ that I'm in the UK so things are both expensive and difficult to find. I know it's difficult to say seeing as I assume most of you are in the US and the prices aren't directly compatible (I think), but what equipment would you recommend for those prices?

I've been looking at denon and onkyo amps, but I don't know what would be best in my price range, or if I should pay a little more to get the best for my need. In addition I have no idea where to by speakers around here. I've looked up a couple of shops in my area that I'm going to take a look at this weekend. But I'd like to know (if possible) what would be recommended in my price range that they sell. I've noticed that some of the manufacturers they sell are rather expensive, so obviously there's no point in even listening to them, but are any within my price range and recommended?

http://www.badaweb.co.uk/acoustica/about.html
http://www.petershifi.co.uk/html/mainproducts.htm
http://www.audio-excellence.co.uk/stock.html

I also have no idea how to go about auditioning speakers. So any tips there would be peachy.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Are subwoofer RCA cables the same as normal L/R audio RCA cables in terms of impedance?

edit: Follow-up: will it even matter? Can I use one half of some audio RCAs?

Mysterious Aftertaste fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 12, 2007

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Are subwoofer RCA cables the same as normal L/R audio RCA cables in terms of impedance?

edit: Follow-up: will it even matter? Can I use one half of some audio RCAs?

Cable impedance is only an issue at RF frequencies. Go for it.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Kash posted:

I also have no idea how to go about auditioning speakers. So any tips there would be peachy.

Soundcard analogue output 1 & 2 ---> Power Amplifier ---> Speakers

Its pretty simple. I don't remember what kind of outputs the audigy has but you need to have some sort of analogue out. Otherwise you would need to do this:

Soundcard digital output 1 & 2 ---> Digital to Analogue Convertor ---> Power Amplifier ---> Speakers

Auditioning speakers is easy. You state a budget. Go down to your nearest retailer and go and audition everything they have under that price point. You do this by listening to some programme material you are really familiar with so burn a CD with your absolute favourite songs on it - the ones you have listened to so much you know every tiny detail of the track. Then give it a listen on all of them. I brought a pencil and paper with me and just marked which ones I liked the sound of. Eventually you will narrow it down to a couple you like more than the rest. Then start A/B comparisons.

I had a budget of 1200 euros though, so the early selection process was to ditch the speakers which lovely lovely build quality. In the end, you buy the speakers you like the most. Or if you aren't totally happy, you save up some more cash and increase your budget.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 13, 2007

Rowe
May 16, 2006
I purchased a HTIB a few years ago (Onkyo HS-650) and have had no problems with it up until this week. My subwoofer has apparently kicked the bucket and I am trying to decide between purchasing another subwoofer or possibly a pair of floor standing speakers to replace it and the left / right channel speakers that came with the system.

Would I get more bang for my buck purchasing the floor standing speakers or a new sub? I am looking a different models and would probably drop around $200-250 on the speakers or $125-150 for the sub.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm going to be looking to start into collecting my first real home theater gear soon here, I just moved into my first place all to myself so I can't rely on roommate's gear anymore.

My first order of business is to research receivers and pick out a good one. I'm by no means an audiophile but I'm pretty discriminating in my listening, I have some nice pairs of headphones and do most of my music listening on my Shure e4 earbuds or Grado SR-80's.

I've been eyeing Denon receivers for a while but there are so many random frilly features added to receivers nowadays that I have a hard time discerning what the most important elements that I want to look for are.

I think I'll budget about $4-700 for a receiver, and all I really know is I want something that will last me a good long time and be as expandable as I can foresee. I'll start off with 2.1 mostly for music and expand to full surround when I move into a bigger place.

So my question is what brands besides Denon should I be looking at and can anyone recommend model #'s and what key things I need to keep an eye out for?

ideally I'll build some speakers of my own to pair with it since we've got some great guides and I have very tech-savvy family, my brother has built pre-amps and guitar cabinets for years and my cousin has built probably a dozen custom home theater speakers and is on a big vintage altec kick right now since he just got some new plans apparently.

If I opt not to build speakers I might just look at picking up some Paradigm bookshelfs to start off with.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

phoboselement
Mar 19, 2003
I should have put something here.
I wasn't sure if I should create a new thread for this or not, so I thought I would post here and see what the response was.

A few months ago I purchased a sound system. It came with a Yamaha HTR-5930, 5 speakers and a subwoofer. All in all I am happy with the system. It sounds great and works very well overall. However I'm having some issues with getting the proper sound out of it.

Here is my setup:

- Philips 30" widescreen flat tube HDTV
- Yamaha HTR-5930 A/V Receiver
- Digital cable box
- Pioneer TiVo/DVD player/recorder (currently not in use)
- Sony PlayStation 3

Up until yesterday, DVD's were being played through my Pioneer DVD player. I switched that over to the PlayStation 3. I have an optical audio cable going from the PlayStation 3 to the A/V receiver. The TV is currently just using analog sound (because I've been too lazy to go out and buy a second optical audio cable), so when I refer to sound quality that is less than what it should be, I'm referring to the DVD's being played, not the cable TV.

There are various settings on the A/V receiver which you can use. I've read through the user's manual and it seems as if these sound "programs" as they're called (which sound like pre-set audio configurations based on different applications, ie gaming, movies, etc.), are not sufficient. There is a "Standard" setting which, according to the manual, seems to be a default mode that will allow the audio settings be determined by either the DVD or whatever.

My problem is I cannot seem to determine what the best setting is, or how to apply it. When watching movies, or even TV, it seems as though the background noises (music, effects, etc.) are clear and loud however the voices are very soft and quiet. Other times it does not seem that I am getting maximum 5.1 surround sound from the speakers. The speakers are configured in an actual 5.1 setup (center speaker above the TV, front left and right speakers on their respective sides of the TV, and the rear left and right speakers in their respective places behind the couch). Often times the rear speakers will be very quiet even in dramatic scenes (explosions and what not) yet they are still working (you can still hear the correct noise, it's just not loud).

Any suggestions of how I can make this better? Thanks.

Psychonaut
Aug 18, 2005

Kiss your protons goodbye!
I'm looking to get a new computer microphone to use with my new Senns.
My main questions are: desktop mic or something I can clip onto my shirt?

I'll just be using this for vent and skype, so it doesn't have to be audiophile quality. Any suggestions?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Psychonaut posted:

I'm looking to get a new computer microphone to use with my new Senns.
My main questions are: desktop mic or something I can clip onto my shirt?

I'll just be using this for vent and skype, so it doesn't have to be audiophile quality. Any suggestions?

just for vent and skype? anything you can find at your local bestbuy or whatever other big-box electronics store is probably going to work just fine. there are dozens of brands that make low-cost consumer microphones.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.
This has likely been answered, but I scanned the first couple pages of A/V Arena for it and didn't see anything.

I'm looking for a guide/diagram for ideal set up of a 7.1 channel system. I know the obvious basics, but I'm wondering about a couple things.

Should my front channel speakers be as close to the tv as possible, as wide as possible, or somewhere in-between? The reason I ask, is because I've seen conflicting advice in different manuals.

How high should I mount my rear channel speakers? I assumed ear-height, but then heard elsewhere to mount them up to two feet above ear-height.

Advice, or helpful links would be appreciated.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Local Yokel posted:

This has likely been answered, but I scanned the first couple pages of A/V Arena for it and didn't see anything.

I'm looking for a guide/diagram for ideal set up of a 7.1 channel system. I know the obvious basics, but I'm wondering about a couple things.

Should my front channel speakers be as close to the tv as possible, as wide as possible, or somewhere in-between? The reason I ask, is because I've seen conflicting advice in different manuals.

How high should I mount my rear channel speakers? I assumed ear-height, but then heard elsewhere to mount them up to two feet above ear-height.

Advice, or helpful links would be appreciated.

Its mostly subjective. However, it is a general rule of thumb to mount all speakers such that the high frequency driver is level with the ear - this is because bass is perceived as being omni directional.

How you arrange your speakers depends entirely on the dimensions and shape of your room as well as the acoustics. I have the front left and right speakers angled inwards at 30 degrees, tweeter mounted at ear height. I have 2 rear channel speakers mirroring the front with the driver mounted at ear height. Sub can be placed anywhere on the floor and the centre channel mounted on top of the TV. I've used the same setup in several rooms because I'm renting. One of the observations I made is that the same orientation doesn't sound the same in different rooms so room acoustics are a massive factor in how your system will reproduce sound.

My recommendation is to get down and dirty and simply move each speaker around until you feel it sounds the best.

On the 2 channel front, I'm constantly moving my monitors around because they sound different every drat time i sit down.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

WanderingKid posted:

Its mostly subjective.

Mostly not. All speakers should have the same distance to you, ideally.
Also, the fronts should be the same distance to each other as they are to you (normal stereo triangle).
Tweeter on ear level.
Usually the Side Rears shouldn't be too far behind you as well.

And THEN you can go ahead and tweak.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

BAN ME PLEASE posted:

Does anybody know where I can get a pair of replacement woofers for my Infinity RS 4000 A speakers? The foam surrounds have rotted out from years of being in somebody's basement and my love for volume has begun to disintegrate them.

Anybody?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

BAN ME PLEASE posted:

Anybody?

You could get this. It should solve the problem.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Boner Slam posted:

Mostly not. All speakers should have the same distance to you, ideally.

I sort of agree with you but room acoustics, dimensions, size and contents vary so much that there is no all purpose solution that will work for everyone. You just have figure it out for yourself and use a bit of applied :science:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I won a Technics 1200Mk3D on ebay. It came without a headshell or cartridge, so I need to pick one up. I am NOT DJing, and I am definitely not scratching. I don't want to damage my records anymore than I have to. I don't buy into audiophile stuff, so I'm not going to spend a fortune.

Any recommendations?

V.S.
Jul 28, 2003

Civilization's high water marks.
I don't understand home theater audio at all and need somebody to dumb it down for me.

I have an LG 42" LCD (with an optical audio out), an HD player, a room about 250 sq. feet, with 12' ceilings, and one end that's halfway open to another room. I want to get some new audio equipment to go along with it, but I can't figure out what to get at all. I'd like to spend closer to $500, but I'm willing to go a few hundred higher. Specific equipment recommendations would be great, but right now I can't even decide if I need 7.1 or 5.1, or how many watts, or which amps go with which speakers, or whatever else.

This will almost exclusively be used for movies, if that helps.

Edit:
Can somebody tell me if I'm in the right ballpark with:
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
and
Denon AVR-687 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver

Edit2: Now I think 5.1 would make a lot more sense in my room.

V.S. fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 23, 2007

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I recently inherited a pair of Bose 901-II's from my dad, and I'm having some problems setting them up.

He bought them new ~30 years ago, and only opened up the boxes for the first time a couple of years ago. I think they look and sound cool as hell, so before anybody says "get new speakers." I realize that is an option, but I would like to get these working.

The speakers come with a proprietary Bose EQ box to manage the speakers, and from what I have been able to learn online, they will sound like poo poo without it. I am just trying to figure out how, or even if it is possible, to have the Bose box manage the EQ curve for those speakers using my amp.

the Bose box:

the back of my amp:

I tried to find this information online myself, and the closest thing that I could find would be to run the "Input" cables frome the Bose box to the MD/DAT "Out" inputs on the Amp, and vice versa. Am I completely off base here? If this even does work, is there any way to use this setup in a multichannel setup? Should I just give up now?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

V.S. posted:

I don't understand home theater audio at all and need somebody to dumb it down for me.

I have an LG 42" LCD (with an optical audio out), an HD player, a room about 250 sq. feet, with 12' ceilings, and one end that's halfway open to another room. I want to get some new audio equipment to go along with it, but I can't figure out what to get at all. I'd like to spend closer to $500, but I'm willing to go a few hundred higher. Specific equipment recommendations would be great, but right now I can't even decide if I need 7.1 or 5.1, or how many watts, or which amps go with which speakers, or whatever else.

This will almost exclusively be used for movies, if that helps.

Edit:
Can somebody tell me if I'm in the right ballpark with:
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
and
Denon AVR-687 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver

Edit2: Now I think 5.1 would make a lot more sense in my room.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=750337&lastpage=1

This is a kef 5.1 with a killer sub, and killer satellites. Its usually priced at $1000, but its half off for some weird reason. This set is slightly overpriced, but for $500 its an absolute steal.

If you want HDMI 1080p switching with a full featured receiver, get the yamaha vx661 from authorizedelectronics.com for $380. If you dont want that, then i would go for a panasonic xr-55 online, theyre around $200. Great little digital receiver. The denon you linked is nice, but the lower end denons seem to lack a lot of features and seem to charge you 20% more just because it has "denon" on it.

V.S.
Jul 28, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=750337&lastpage=1

This is a kef 5.1 with a killer sub, and killer satellites. Its usually priced at $1000, but its half off for some weird reason. This set is slightly overpriced, but for $500 its an absolute steal.

If you want HDMI 1080p switching with a full featured receiver,

Thanks for that speaker recommendation, it looks great.

That last bit is the sort of thing that's confusing me. My assumption is that I only want my receiver to get an audio input. That is, I want my HD video to go straight from the DVD player to the TV. So what's all this about HDMI 1080p switching? Is there a reason for me to buy that, or could I save money and not miss out on anything by getting a receiver without it?

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Quick question about speakers, I am picking up a new Rotel RA-04 on Friday. I have two possible sets of speakers to run with it (or both). I have some old mission m74's and some Eltax Monitor III's.

I have heard that the M74's are good for movies and surround sound etc, but a bit muddy and not well defined for music. Basically what I was wondering is what are the better speakers for using with the Rotel or should I go and purchase some new speakers. (I have a some what limited budget for new speakers)

Thanks

V.S.
Jul 28, 2003

GhostSeven posted:

I have two possible sets of speakers to run with it (or both). I have some old mission m74's and some Eltax Monitor III's.

Am I understanding you correctly, that you have both of those speakers already? Why not listen to them and see how they sound?

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago
Yep I do, Im just driving over to the Hi-Fi store on friday and if people thought that those speakers were not fantastic I could kick about for a bit and check out some new speakers.

Very good point tho I will sit down and listen to them :D

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

V.S. posted:

Thanks for that speaker recommendation, it looks great.

That last bit is the sort of thing that's confusing me. My assumption is that I only want my receiver to get an audio input. That is, I want my HD video to go straight from the DVD player to the TV. So what's all this about HDMI 1080p switching? Is there a reason for me to buy that, or could I save money and not miss out on anything by getting a receiver without it?

really its only useful if you have like.. one hdmi input on your tv.

If your tv is good thought hen theres really no need for it.

bonzai
Sep 10, 2000

SUPER-CONDUCTIVE MAGNETIC INFINDIBULATOR
I'm getting a hum from my speakers when I hook them up to the main output on my computer.

I have a little Y adapter that changes 1/8" headphone jack into white/red RCA cable. That plugs into my soundcard output, and a 25 foot RCA cable goes into my stereo's AUX input. I get a notably hum when this is set up. When I have the red/white plugging into my TV, it still hums. I have two different Y adapters, same problem with both. I've used two different sound cards (currently X-Mystique, previously Audigy) and had the problem with both. I've tried different RCA cords, same problem.

However, when I use my laptop, I don't have this problem at all. No hum, no nothing. However, I use a different RCA cord, a little 3 foot one. Additionally, I get faint upward scrolling refresh lines through the video cord of the 25 footer, and fainter ones through the 3 footer.

Could the fact that I get the hum/lines through a 25 foot cord and not through a 3 foot cord make sense? If so, is there anything I can do to fix this, other than using the 3 foot cord?

My computer needs the 25 footer cord, where as when I've got my laptop, I just use the 3 footer. I don't have my laptop on hand right now.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

DonkeyHotay posted:

I recently inherited a pair of Bose 901-II's from my dad, and I'm having some problems setting them up.

He bought them new ~30 years ago, and only opened up the boxes for the first time a couple of years ago. I think they look and sound cool as hell, so before anybody says "get new speakers." I realize that is an option, but I would like to get these working.

The speakers come with a proprietary Bose EQ box to manage the speakers, and from what I have been able to learn online, they will sound like poo poo without it. I am just trying to figure out how, or even if it is possible, to have the Bose box manage the EQ curve for those speakers using my amp.

the Bose box:

the back of my amp:

I tried to find this information online myself, and the closest thing that I could find would be to run the "Input" cables frome the Bose box to the MD/DAT "Out" inputs on the Amp, and vice versa. Am I completely off base here? If this even does work, is there any way to use this setup in a multichannel setup? Should I just give up now?

How are Input and Output connected?
Isn't "Input" coming from your amp?

Usually Tape in and Out are for recording (LPs) and not needed. All you usually need is one input and one output and this isn't different for EQs.

So connect it to any direct out in your amp. Usually amps will have something like a preamp out (especially 5.1 receiver). Find that and connect the fronts. Or use tape-out and activate tape recording in the settings of your receiver.

You might find that the speaker sounds like poo poo regardless because... well... it's Bose.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

This might be a dumb question, but is there any reason why the headphone jack on my Z-640 wouldn't work unless it's broken?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

^^^ edit: On Klipsch ProMedias, you have to turn the volume box off and it switches to headphone mode. I've never used the Logis, but it could be the same ^^^

OK, I'm switching from a long time analog only praiser to trying digital.

I have an AV710 (Envy24HT-S) running optical out to a Denon amp. My card supports 24bit/192khz (I only really want to run 96khz) but I believe optical can only handle 48khz. Am I correct in this assumption?

I can enable 96khz and 192khz on my card, but when I try to play 96khz files they're extremely noisy. I'm assuming because it's 96khz over 48khz.

If this all doesn't work out it's no big deal, this isn't my main system.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've got a question a little ways up the page that I'm still hoping to get some advice on... just trying to weigh my options as far as receivers go... Denon, Harmon Kardon, what? what should I be looking at?

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

It really depends on what you want out if it and your price range.

Do you want 7.1 surround sound for movies, stereo for just audio, audiophile-grade components? Digital or analog system?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

It really depends on what you want out if it and your price range.

Do you want 7.1 surround sound for movies, stereo for just audio, audiophile-grade components? Digital or analog system?

Most of that is in my first post... I'll mostly be using it for stereo audio but I definitely want surround sound for expandability at a later date... budget is probably $4-700 (I want to do it right the first time around if I can help it) audiophile grade... well I'm not an audiophile persay but I strive for the best (reasonable) quality, not interested in dropping hundreds of dollars on monster cables really since I'm not a firm believer in the premium cable companies perceived performance... digital or analog? hmmm, definitely want HDMI but I don't know how many I should be going for or whatever since I don't have my high-def tv yet.

oh, and I'd love to get a digital signal running from my computer for mp3 juke-boxing, I have this sound card.

edit: if I need additional I/O's I could pick up this drive bay expansion for my sound card

I should also note that I'm starting to piece together my system from the ground up so cd/dvd player recommendations would be useful as well but not necessary, to date I've been content with some high end Altec Lansing PC speakers that sound IMO pretty phenomenal for desktop speakers, and then a pair of Grado SR80's and some Shure e4c's.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 29, 2007

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
How do I record my output, like to record something live? I used to be able to do it with Audacity, but the way I used to do it doesn't work any more for some reason (I guess because of Vista).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Dumb question(s) - is there really any point to buying some big floor standing speakers over a pair of decently powered bookshelves? I've just got a 16x16 room I'm trying to set up the audio half of a home theater in.