Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dr.Teeth posted:

We just bought a new DVD player / receiver / surround sound package. Everything on it is hooked up right, I have checked it a number of times. But when we use it there is a low pitched hum coming from the speakers, notable the front L and R. Sometimes it quiet and hardly noticable but other times it can get quite loud and distracting. I am looking for suggestions on how to fix this.

Sounds like a ground loop. Try plugging everything into the same power strip, and see if that fixes the problem. Another possibility might be electromagnetic interference. Do you have any other electronic equipment or fluorescent lights nearby?

Gibby 117 posted:

The deal is my aparment is very small and wires or a rug to cover the wires is out of the question.
Is it carpeted with molding along the walls? If so, you can tuck wires out of sight down there. If your apartment is small, you'll probably be putting the speakers as close to the walls as possible, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

ejstheman posted:

Is it possible to get a 160W or so (real watts, not make-believe X-BASS MAXIMUM PEAK BURST INTO FLAMES) stereo amplifier, that I can connect to my computer, various video game systems, and two passable 80W 8-ohm speakers that I already have? Is it possible to get it for under $200?

Look for refurbished and last year's model home theater receivers. I picked up an Onkyo TX-SR502 for $170 a while back, and while it's nothing special, it's got all the digital and analog inputs I need and it sounds decent. It's got 80 watts/channel. Why do you need 160W+, though, unless your speakers are inefficient as gently caress? The inverse square law says that you get diminishing returns pretty quickly, and it's entirely possible for me to literally shake floors with a mere 80W/channel, not even turned up to maximum.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Sgt. Rock posted:

Can I use this wire: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=619&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

to hook up this soundcard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118103

to the audio port under the DVI input of this TV?: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=LVM-42W2&xzoom=Large-1#xview

if not, what do I need? I would be using the S/PDIF port on the card going into the TV, as my home theater does not seem to have a S/PDIF input.

Edit: Or, can I use this cable to hook it up to the line out on the card (the black output) and run it to the TV? If I do this, will I still get 5.1 surround sound> http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=669&seq=1&format=2&style=

No. The TV won't take digital input, only analog, and it won't be 5.1. You'll need a headphone-to-double-RCA cable, yours for not much pretty much anywhere. Something like this. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with the cable you posted in the edit, but I don't see how that could accomplish much of anything.

If your home theater doesn't have any digital inputs, you won't be able to do digital. If it's got six RCA jacks for 5.1 surround, you could do something with three of those headphone-to-RCA cables and the card's analog 5.1 output. Otherwise, you'll have to stick with stereo.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Strict 9 posted:

Help! I can't seem to get 5.1 sound from my receiver through my HTPC. I have a new Onkyo HT-S590S Receiver, hooked up via a digital coaxial cable to my digital audio out on my Shuttle SN21G2. The Shuttle uses a Realtek ALC 655 AC '97 audio card for sound.

I went into the Realtek configuration panel, selected 6 channels (5.1 sound), and made sure the digital coaxial output was turned on. I'm still learning my receiver, but it doesn't appear to let me select the true digital 5.1 selection for my listening mode. The only way I can hear my rear speakers is by changing to one of the "forced" surround modes (Onkyo calls this PLII or Neo), but I believe by doing this I won't get true 5.1 sound from the DVDs I play on my HTPC.

Any ideas on this one? Do I have to download/configure certain codecs? (I use MediaPortal to play back movies). This may be more my confusion regarding the receiver's listening mode, but I can't figure it out for sure.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, 5.1 sound over digital connections can be tricky. 2 channels is dead easy; it's just PCM, which requires no brains at all. 5.1 channels won't fit uncompressed, however, so both ends have to use AC3 (aka Dolby Digital - or, theoretically, any compression - but Dolby is of course the standard). Since licensing AC3 costs a decent chunk of change, and real-time encoding requires more hardware, most integrated sound chipsets don't offer it, and only have analog six-channel output.

Fortunately, there's still hope. Most chipsets allow media to take over the connection completely - to preempt whatever else might be there with data streamed off the DVD or a file on the drive. In Media Player Classic, try opening a DVD or 5.1 audio file (if you've ripped your DVDs with AC3 intact). Then, go to Play->Filters->AC3 Audio Decoder, and select SPDIF for everything. Then, stop and restart the movie. If it works, your receiver should pick up on the signal and go into Dolby Digital mode, and you should get 5.1 audio. I don't know how to do the same for Mediaportal, but the functionality should hopefully be there to do the same.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

pim01 posted:

Every amp that's any good should be able to take plain copper - almost all speaker terminals I've ever seen were of the banana/screw type, where you could either use a banana plug or just screw the terminal tightly onto the plain wire. I don't think there's a special term for plain copper, but then again I'm not a native english speaker :).

The banana plug/screw-down terminals are called "binding posts," and the ones with spring-loaded tabs are "spring terminals." Pretty much anything other than a headphone or specialty amp will use one of the two.